PDA

View Full Version : White women like me, we need to talk (about not calling the police)

Anti Federalist
05-29-2018, 02:51 AM
Instead of talking about calling cops on colored people, and assigning race guilt, why not talk about not calling cops at all.

White women like me, we need to talk (about not calling the police)

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/18/opinions/white-women-stop-calling-police-rowe-finkbeiner/index.html

By Kristin Rowe-Finkbeiner

Updated 7:10 PM ET, Fri May 18, 2018

Kristin Rowe-Finkbeiner is executive director and co-founder of MomsRising.org, a nonprofit national organization that supports policies to improve family economic security. She is the author of the recently released book, "Keep Marching: How Every Woman Can Take Action and Change Our World." The views expressed here are solely hers.

Did you hear about the white woman who called police in Memphis earlier this month because a black man who wanted to buy a house was trying to take a look at it first? What about the white people who called the police on black people simply for sleeping in their own dorm lounge at Yale, barbecuing at a park, shopping at Nordstrom Rack, waiting in a Starbucks or ... the list goes tragically on and on.

White women like me, we need to have a talk. Enough is enough and we need to make ourselves part of the solution. You. Me. The woman next to you in the grocery store line, at the bus stop or on the soccer field. The writing is on the wall. We've got to stand up and speak out because right now, we're part of the problem.

I have some thoughts on how we can do it:

1. Stop calling the police on black people simply for living

Too many white people in America aren't pausing to check their own implicit bias before calling the police on black people simply for living their lives. As my colleague, Dream Hampton, said, "Calling the police is weaponizing a bias we already know exists." Think I'm exaggerating? Young black men are, according to a ProPublica analysis, 21 times as likely to be shot and killed by police as young white men.

Further, even though there are countless data points showing that racism is still rampant, only 39% of recently polled white people thought racism was still a problem. Many white people like me are out of touch. Just because we don't experience racism every day doesn't mean it isn't happening every day. The burden of stopping discrimination should not be on only people of color. It's time to carry our own weight.

So roll up your sleeves and discuss this openly with your white friends, family and neighbors. Take time especially with people who don't fully agree with you. Share facts. Ask questions. Check yourself before you call the police and don't let casual discrimination go unchallenged. Handy phrases include: "That's not necessary." "Have you thought about what you're saying?" "Where is that coming from?" Remind people that the advancement of one group of people absolutely doesn't come at the expense of other groups of people. That's not how our nation works. In fact, it works in the opposite way.

White people in America also need to talk to themselves before calling the police. That conversation should start with this question: "If this were a white person, would I call the police on them?"

2. Remind friends who look like you that white women experience far less discrimination than women of color

This is a conversation you should have with other white women -- and men too! Here are a few quick discussion points to have handy:

The pay gap is much wider for women of color, by a shocking margin.

Women, on average, earned just 80 cents to a man's dollar in 2017 for all year-round full-time workers. That being said, both moms, particularly moms of color, and women of color earned less: White, non-Hispanic women are earning only 75 cents; black women only 63 cents; Native American women only 58 cents; and Latina women only 54 cents for every dollar earned by white, non-Hispanic men.
Implicit bias often gives white people in America an (actual) free ride.

One recent study found that when a bus rider didn't have money to pay the fare (or their fare card was empty), bus drivers let 72% of white testers, but only 36% of black testers, ride free.

There is rampant discrimination in our criminal justice system.

Black women are eight times more likely than white women to be incarcerated, and Latina women are four times more likely to be incarcerated, according to Amnesty International. There's evidence of this disproportion across the criminal justice system, including an analysis from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch editorial board that found black Missourians were 66% more likely in 2013 to be stopped by police "even though the likelihood of finding contraband was higher among whites."

3. Follow and support women of color

Find women of color leaders who are doing great work (and there are many). Follow and support their work, agenda and vision -- on social media and in real life. Solidarity is laying it on the line and following, as well as advocating for fairness side by side. Find out who is leading on racial justice and immigrant rights advocacy efforts in your community and find a way that works for you to get involved.

4. Look up from your phone

When you're working or hanging out in a group, look up to see who has a seat at the table. If everyone sitting at the table looks close to the same, then that's a problem that needs fixing. Don't stay silent about it. Say something to your leadership and be part of efforts to make your work diverse from start to finish.

5. Mistakes are inevitable, but keep going

Many white people fear talking about racism and xenophobia. I know I do. As a white woman, I know I live in a culture that's packed with implicit racial and gender bias. I know that I'm bound to absorb and replicate that negativity, whether I intend to or not. I know I've messed up in the past, and that I will continue to mess up in the future. Messing up isn't a fun experience. It will expose you to criticism and anger from others. But white people need to get over that and keep trying anyway -- because the embarrassment of messing up is nothing compared to the experience of living each day with the fear, internalized stress and inherent risk that come with living while black or brown in America today.

Finally, progress is possible. What happened to Michael Hayes, the black man in Memphis whose white neighbor called the police on him for entering his own new home earlier this month? Well, the officers arrived, confirmed that he'd done nothing wrong and told him that if he had any more problems, they'd come back to intercede on his behalf. And they told the woman that if she did anything to try to stop Hayes, they'd be taking her to jail.

Hopefully, she and other white women will ask themselves the question, "Would I have called if s/he were white?" -- and be honest with themselves about the answer.

tod evans
05-29-2018, 03:03 AM
2. Remind friends who look like you that white women experience far less discrimination than women of color

3. Follow and support women of color

:rolleyes:

fedupinmo
05-29-2018, 07:06 AM
Hyphenated last names and aloof racism go together well.

Anti Federalist
05-29-2018, 08:41 AM
Hyphenated last names and aloof racism go together well.

As do typical left wing politics.

Check out her site: https://www.momsrising.org/

CaptUSA
05-29-2018, 09:23 AM
1. Stop calling the police

Should have ended it right there. The rest is just collectivist stupidity.

Valli6
05-29-2018, 10:38 AM
White women like her need to stop assuming all white women are like her.

specsaregood
05-29-2018, 10:51 AM
As do typical left wing politics
Check out her site: https://www.momsrising.org/

support passing a bunch of laws, then argue that you shouldn't call the police on people violating them.

enhanced_deficit
05-29-2018, 11:17 AM
Instead of talking about calling cops on colored people, and assigning race guilt, why not talk about not calling cops at all.

White women like me, we need to talk (about not calling the police)

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/18/opinions/white-women-stop-calling-police-rowe-finkbeiner/index.html

By Kristin Rowe-Finkbeiner

Updated 7:10 PM ET, Fri May 18, 2018

Kristin Rowe-Finkbeiner is executive director and co-founder of MomsRising.org, a nonprofit national organization that supports policies to improve family economic security. She is the author of the recently released book, "Keep Marching: How Every Woman Can Take Action and Change Our World." The views expressed here are solely hers.

Did you hear about the white woman who called police in Memphis earlier this month because a black man who wanted to buy a house was trying to take a look at it first? What about the white people who called the police on black people simply for sleeping in their own dorm lounge at Yale, barbecuing at a park, shopping at Nordstrom Rack, waiting in a Starbucks or ... the list goes tragically on and on.

White women like me, we need to have a talk. Enough is enough and we need to make ourselves part of the solution. You. Me. The woman next to you in the grocery store line, at the bus stop or on the soccer field. The writing is on the wall. We've got to stand up and speak out because right now, we're part of the problem.

I have some thoughts on how we can do it:

1. Stop calling the police on black people simply for living

Too many white people in America aren't pausing to check their own implicit bias before calling the police on black people simply for living their lives. As my colleague, Dream Hampton, said, "Calling the police is weaponizing a bias we already know exists." Think I'm exaggerating? Young black men are, according to a ProPublica analysis, 21 times as likely to be shot and killed by police as young white men.

Further, even though there are countless data points showing that racism is still rampant, only 39% of recently polled white people thought racism was still a problem. Many white people like me are out of touch. Just because we don't experience racism every day doesn't mean it isn't happening every day. The burden of stopping discrimination should not be on only people of color. It's time to carry our own weight.

So roll up your sleeves and discuss this openly with your white friends, family and neighbors. Take time especially with people who don't fully agree with you. Share facts. Ask questions. Check yourself before you call the police and don't let casual discrimination go unchallenged. Handy phrases include: "That's not necessary." "Have you thought about what you're saying?" "Where is that coming from?" Remind people that the advancement of one group of people absolutely doesn't come at the expense of other groups of people. That's not how our nation works. In fact, it works in the opposite way.

White people in America also need to talk to themselves before calling the police. That conversation should start with this question: "If this were a white person, would I call the police on them?"

This is a conversation you should have with other white women -- and men too! Here are a few quick discussion points to have handy:

The pay gap is much wider for women of color, by a shocking margin.

Women, on average, earned just 80 cents to a man's dollar in 2017 for all year-round full-time workers. That being said, both moms, particularly moms of color, and women of color earned less: White, non-Hispanic women are earning only 75 cents; black women only 63 cents; Native American women only 58 cents; and Latina women only 54 cents for every dollar earned by white, non-Hispanic men.
Implicit bias often gives white people in America an (actual) free ride.

This is an old problem that seems to get worse with rising Police State and people of color tend to pay higher price given historic prejudices. Election of Obama after Iraqi Freedom War was supposed to make race relations better but it seemed to actually boil race tensions and part of it was due to Dems/left wing-neocons overly played the race card. There are some reports claiming Russian groups may have joined in it too ahead of 2016 elections but that's a different story. Trump skillfully exploited that atmposphere to his political advantage by making Obama as his number #1 enemy in 2016 and hardened tribal divisions early on. Lately he seems to be trying to reverse the race gaps by reaching out to Kanye West and recent pardon (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?522639-On-Stallone-s-request-Trump-pardons-Jack-Johnson-erasing-conviction-for-violating-Mann-Act&) of black boxer Jack Johnson who had been convicted of violating "White Slave Traffic Act" a century ago. Work in progress.

Kristin Rowe-Finkbeiner may be trying to do the right thing now but in the past she may have been part of problem herself by enabling the leader in chief who was droning kids of colored races (unless she privately spoke out against such violence). Foreign Policy and Police State lately are joined at the hip.

http://gdprnashville.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/kristin-rowe-finkbeiner-with-obama-1024x682.jpg

There is rampant discrimination in our criminal justice system.

Farrakhan tweeted out a two-minute video of this sort-of endorsement of Trump:

Mr. Trump is destroying every enemy that was an enemy of our rise. Who is the enemy of our rise? Is it the Department of Justice where we get none? Is it Congress where you make a law that favors us and then you turn around and destroy it? https://t.co/iK8VMI667b pic.twitter.com/Byk0Px2Avo (https://t.co/Byk0Px2Avo)

— MINISTER FARRAKHAN (@LouisFarrakhan) May 25, 2018 (https://twitter.com/LouisFarrakhan/status/1000141683424681984?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw)

From: Louis Farrakhan speaks favorably of Trump (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?522685-Louis-Farrakhan-speaks-favorably-of-Trump&)

oyarde
05-29-2018, 11:22 AM
Danke promised me the white women in exchange for refuge and protection against the apocalypse . Then there will be no hyphenated names and they will all be busy making sandwiches and doing laundry .

Brian4Liberty
05-29-2018, 11:35 AM
A discussion on limiting calls to the Police is good, but I'll have to call bullshit on the premise that it's an epidemic.

She has a few "examples". And usually there is no evidence that it was based on race. This is a media and politically created "problem". How many times have white people called the Police unnecessarily on other white people? How many black people have called unnecessarily on other black people? There is no evidence that there is a racist epidemic involved in calling the Police for minor or non-existent reasons. People call the Police for all kinds of reasons all the time. A few hysterical media created situations do not prove or even indicate a trend.

Brian4Liberty
05-29-2018, 11:39 AM
support passing a bunch of laws, then argue that you shouldn't call the police on people violating them.

You are using logic. That's not very popular with the left. Try using emotion instead. There was a very emotionally compelling reason for creating those laws, regulations and codes, just as this is a very emotion driven reason to not call the Police if you are white.

You want to link these things, but emotion knows no such linkage. Two plus two equals five, comrade.

Swordsmyth
05-29-2018, 02:13 PM
Mark my words, if they link it to racism they will call the Kops on more white people to make up for not calling the Kops on minorities, calling the Kops is an appetite for them.

Brian4Liberty
05-30-2018, 02:56 PM
It's spreading...

A California church flirts with an unusual social experiment: to never call police again
By Jaweed Kaleem

Standing on the front steps of First Congregational Church of Oakland late last month, Nichola Torbett issued a declaration.

“We can no longer tolerate the trauma inflicted on our communities by policing,” Torbett, a white church volunteer, said in front of churchgoers who held photos of African Americans shot dead by law enforcement. The church, she promised, would never call the cops again in nearly every circumstance. Dozens of members had agreed to do the same.

"How do police help? They often don't," Torbett later said in an interview. "So, especially as white people, why call them?"

As videos of the aftermath of white Americans dialing 911 on African Americans for taking part in innocent activities have repeatedly gone viral — two black friends meeting at a Starbucks, a black grad student napping in a Yale dormitory common room, a black family having a barbecue just blocks from the Oakland congregation — members of this small church are taking extreme measures in response.

They call it “divesting” from police. The church is part of a tiny but growing movement among liberal houses of worship around the nation making similar vows. They include another church in Oakland, one in San Jose and one in Iowa City, Iowa. It’s mostly white ministers and majority white congregations leading the efforts, which come as debates over racism, stereotypes and the role of law enforcement hit universities, businesses and neighborhood councils across the U.S.
More: http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-dont-call-police-church-20180530-story.html

Anti Federalist
05-31-2018, 03:15 AM
It's spreading...

Fucking idiots...they would never think of doing this when presented with white victims of police abuse.

That said...if it removes just an atom of power away from the police state, I'll take it.

Occam's Banana
05-31-2018, 12:02 PM
support passing a bunch of laws, then argue that you shouldn't call the police on people of color violating them.

Fixed - and reported for privilege.

Not calling the police on white people is racist.

Madison320
05-31-2018, 12:57 PM
I just want to know if she's in favor of criminalizing thought in the form of discrimination laws. As long as she can't use government force to make people act the way she wants, I have no problem with her.

Brian4Liberty
05-31-2018, 08:36 PM
I just want to know if she's in favor of criminalizing thought in the form of discrimination laws. As long as she can't use government force to make people act the way she wants, I have no problem with her.

i'd like to see the Vegas odds on that. 100 to 1 that she favors a whole host of PC laws?