PDA

View Full Version : Rep. Massie defends peaceful farmers and consumers with Interstate Milk Freedom Legislation

Matt Collins
05-17-2018, 07:34 PM
From Thomas' office...

PRESS RELEASE

https://ci3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/M0Ym2g8s8OwiZcbvRAjgsugVUqpo4s2xQel5Cr2XNLu6LNk1SH k7GgL90YATTCc0bD1qyll8dgulQq-qiDtInpR8XQ2wSsGo8CDg9nSdg-1tfRNEI-TLrK-jvZ_nSQPm0PawUiijdcFmEO6Noh83p4ioDqw3EmrdLg=s0-d-e1-ft#https://massieforms.house.gov/UploadedPhotos/LowResolution/91aa019b-9f01-41b0-a90d-14c4ab1d4d38.jpg

WASHINGTON, DC - Congressman Thomas Massie (R-KY), Jared Polis (D-CO) and Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA) will offer bipartisan legislation (https://massieforms.house.gov/components/redirect/r.aspx?ID=468398-40224832) on the floor of the House today to expand and improve consumer food choices and to protect local farmers from federal interference. Their amendment to the Farm Bill is expected to receive a vote in the next 24 hours and would remove the FDA prohibition on interstate transportation of raw milk while still respecting state laws regarding raw milk.

“As a producer of grass-fed beef, I am familiar with some of the difficulties small farmers face when marketing fresh food directly to consumers. My amendment would make it easier for families to buy wholesome milk directly from farmers by reversing the criminalization of dairy farmers who offer raw milk, “said Rep. Massie. “The federal government should not punish farmers for providing customers the foods they want, and states should be free to set their own laws regulating food safety.”

Numerous citizens-including many peaceful Amish and Mennonite farmers—have been shut down by the Feds for selling unpasteurized milk to willing consumers (see, for example: https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/feb/13/feds-shut-down-amish-farm-selling-fresh-milk/ )
(https://massieforms.house.gov/components/redirect/r.aspx?ID=468399-40224832)
Congress has never passed a ban on raw milk. Instead, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) did so in capitulation to a lawsuit: https://www.nytimes.com/1984/04/11/garden/ban-asked-on-the-sale-of-raw-milk.html (https://massieforms.house.gov/components/redirect/r.aspx?ID=468400-40224832)

The FDA should not have the power to shut down peaceful farmers selling milk to willing consumers. It is Congress’s job to legislate. Federal agencies that are part of the executive branch (such as the FDA) do not and should not have this power.

This amendment simply says that if two States have legalized the sale of unpasteurized milk, then no federal department, agency, or court may take any action to prohibit or restrict the interstate traffic of milk between those two States. This amendment would prohibit the federal government from interfering with the interstate traffic of raw milk products between states where distribution or sale of such products is already legal.

With a debt of over $21 trillion, the federal government also does not have the time, money, or resources to chase down and prosecute peaceful farmers. This is an issue of both personal freedom and smart government.

“It’s legal to drink raw milk in 50 states. It is legal to sell raw milk in 28 states. The Feds need to quit arresting farmers for taking raw milk from one raw milk state to another raw milk state,” said Rep. Massie.

phill4paul
05-17-2018, 07:40 PM
Massie needs to be in the Senate.

RonZeplin
05-17-2018, 07:47 PM
Massie needs to be in the Senate.

Thomas Massie could replace Bitch McConnell as both a Kentucky senator, and leader of the Senate.

phill4paul
05-17-2018, 08:18 PM
Thomas Massie could replace Bitch McConnell as both a Kentucky senator, and leader of the Senate.

Honestly, if he were to go for it.... Money-Bomb of the era. But we're probably talking $25 million to beat McConnell's establishment replacement. I'm not from Kentucky so I don't really know how the state's folks think of him. But, he's a shining star.

Krugminator2
05-17-2018, 08:47 PM
Honestly, if he were to go for it.... Money-Bomb of the era. But we're probably talking $25 million to beat McConnell's establishment replacement. I'm not from Kentucky so I don't really know how the state's folks think of him. But, he's a shining star.

I remember one quarter where Massie raised around $8000. Massie would get curb stomped in a statewide race unless he got incredibly lucky with the opponents. The last thing in the world he should do is run for Senate. Massie won his House seat in kind of a fluke. He should hang on to that seat for dear life.

phill4paul
05-17-2018, 08:55 PM
I remember one quarter where Massie raised around $8000. Massie would get curb stomped in a statewide race unless he got incredibly lucky with the opponents. The last thing in the world he should do is run for Senate. Massie won his House seat in kind of a fluke. He should hang on to that seat for dear life.

Fair enough. I don't know Kentucky politics.

timosman
05-17-2018, 11:07 PM

At least a few more rounds in the lower circus.:cool:

Matt Collins
05-18-2018, 08:24 AM
Thomas has raised his profile significantly in the last few years. And in many ways he is seen as being more like Ron Paul than Rand Paul is. I don't think any liberty people have a problem with any of his votes unlike both Rand and Justin. Maybe the GMO labeling thing, but that is minor.

Thomas isn't going to go against Mitch directly, but I think there is a fair chance he will run for that seat when Mitch retires.... hopefully next election.

TheTexan
05-18-2018, 12:10 PM
This amendment simply says that if two States have legalized the sale of unpasteurized milk, then no federal department, agency, or court may take any action to prohibit or restrict the interstate traffic of milk between those two States. This amendment would prohibit the federal government from interfering with the interstate traffic of raw milk products between states where distribution or sale of such products is already legal.

Sure, but if that milk is consumed, then it impacts trade with other states, and falls back into federal jurisdiction, per Wickard v Filburn

not.your.average.joe
05-18-2018, 12:43 PM
So the Farm Bill didn't pass the House. Does that mean Massie will get another chance in the near future for his Raw Milk amendment? What happens next with the Farm Bill?

Matt Collins
05-18-2018, 11:00 PM
Sure, but if that milk is consumed, then it impacts trade with other states, and falls back into federal jurisdiction, per Wickard v Filburn
Except that Wickard v Filburn is unconstitutional because it violates the 10th Amendment.

TheTexan
05-18-2018, 11:12 PM
Except that Wickard v Filburn is unconstitutional because it violates the 10th Amendment.

Well, that's just like, your opinion, man.