PDA

View Full Version : How did Howard dean do in straw polls/debate polls? ect?

RonPaulFTFW
12-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Are their any numbers for comparison?

JWallace
12-12-2007, 11:10 AM
I'd like to know that as well. Plus general polling trends for 2004 for Dean vs. other Dems.

Jason T
12-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Good idea.

Some other info that would be interested to see is how poor other dark horses like Bill Clinton were doing in polls 2 weeks or so before Iowa.

AceGopher
12-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Howard Dean was the front-runner in the late summer of 2004.

John Kerry was polling about 11% nationally.

Who won the Democratic nomination?

I'd rather be Kerry than Dean right now. Dean was the Huckabee of the 2004 Democratic process...media darling who was dismantled when it became convenient.

-Ace

AceGopher
12-12-2007, 11:23 AM
As a followup to my "I'd rather be Kerry than Dean" comment...CBS news tracking poll from 2004 (source: http://www.pollingreport.com/wh04dem.htm)

"Who would you like to see the Democratic Party nominate as its presidential candidate in 2004?"

December 21-22, 2003:

Dean: 16%
Clark: 10%
Gephardt: 9%
Lieberman: 6%
Braun: 6%
Edwards: 5%
Kerry: 4%
Don't Know: 24%

January 12-15, 2004:

Dean: 24%
Clark: 12%
Gephardt: 11%
Kerry: 7%

February 12-15, 2004:

Kerry: 53%
Edwards: 7%

The next few months are CRUCIAL...do all you can to get people to the polls.

In general, don't succumb to dissing the campaign, they have a 50-state strategy and have smart people advising them. They will do what it takes to win.

-Ace

JWallace
12-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Howard Dean was the front-runner in the late summer of 2004.

John Kerry was polling about 11% nationally.

Who won the Democratic nomination?

I'd rather be Kerry than Dean right now. Dean was the Huckabee of the 2004 Democratic process...media darling who was dismantled when it became convenient.

-Ace

However, Dean's base was mobilized. And what I've read is his base was so over-the-top energized in Iowa that they pissed some people off.

AceGopher
12-12-2007, 11:56 AM
However, Dean's base was mobilized. And what I've read is his base was so over-the-top energized in Iowa that they pissed some people off.

That may be true, but IIRC, it was really Dean's lack of foreign policy experience that did him in. Kerry really hammered Dean on that, and with the still fresh Iraq invasion, Democrats wanted to put someone up against Bush who could hold their own. "The scream" basically was the metaphor to that lack of experience. Of course, I could be remembering things differently than you.

Dean was the "establishment" candidate, with big endorsements. Kerry was essentially written off. I'm sure the national campaign has studied this and all previous elections to determine the best strategy.

So what really did Dean in was lack of money (wasteful spending of the large amount he had raised) and lack of experience. Two things which I don't think will plague the Paul campaign.

-Ace

Minlawc
12-12-2007, 12:19 PM
That may be true, but IIRC, it was really Dean's lack of foreign policy experience that did him in. Kerry really hammered Dean on that, and with the still fresh Iraq invasion, Democrats wanted to put someone up against Bush who could hold their own. "The scream" basically was the metaphor to that lack of experience. Of course, I could be remembering things differently than you.

Dean was the "establishment" candidate, with big endorsements. Kerry was essentially written off. I'm sure the national campaign has studied this and all previous elections to determine the best strategy.

So what really did Dean in was lack of money (wasteful spending of the large amount he had raised) and lack of experience. Two things which I don't think will plague the Paul campaign.

-Ace

Did Kerry actually have a view on anything before the general election? Was he against or for the war?

Ron'll grab the primary right from under their noses.

Mesogen
12-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Did Kerry actually have a view on anything before the general election? Was he against or for the war?

Ron'll grab the primary right from under their noses.

He voted for the war. His platform was "more troops, more money."

Remember? "However many billions is takes to win."

I never understood why all the half retarded Democrat voters seriously thought he was against the war. He was just against George Bush running the war (or was he?)