PDA

View Full Version : Underground hip hop artist David Banner debates police brutality

jmdrake
04-22-2018, 08:48 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYyYrX3cTfM

And:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRQiucNsLKs&t=410s

Interesting quote from Banner:

A black policeman knows that if he kills an innocent white teenager he will go to jail forever or a group of white men are going to pull him out of his house.

My take?

Well...we have the chance to test that theory. Will black policeman Mohammed Noor go to prison for shooting and killing unarmed Justine Damond? (See: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/20/us/minneapolis-police-shooting-justine-damond.html) He is using the same "I was in fear of my life" argument that the officer that killed Philando Castille successfully used in his defense. In Noor's case his partner said he was scared too. In Castille's case his partner said he wasn't scared. We shall see.

We shall indeed see.

Something else. I didn't know before watching banner that the first police in the U.S. were actually slave patrols. But that's documented.

http://time.com/4779112/police-history-origins/

I will say this. I know white and hispanic police have gotten away with murdering white people. But I don't know off the top of my head of any black police officers who have. A hispanic officer was part of the crew the beat Kelly Thomas to death. The Mohammed Noor case has garnered a lot of publicity. If he walks that may cause the country of Australia to take a hard look at what is going on with police brutality in America. If he doesn't walk, that proves David Banner right.

Here is a simple change in the law I would want. If you kill someone and it turns out your life really wasn't in danger...you're off the force and you can never be a policeman again anywhere period. Even if you don't get convicted, you are banned for life from being a police officer. Yes I want a police officer to think before shooting someone or putting someone in an illegal choke hold like what happened with Eric Garner that "this next move may end my career." If you truly believe your life is in danger you should be willing to risk your career over it and if your gamble proves to be wrong at least you are still alive. It's time for this idea that we are going to give policemen a license to kill just based on a hunch to into the dustbin of history.

Anti Federalist
04-22-2018, 09:06 AM
A black policeman knows that if he kills an innocent white teenager he will go to jail forever or a group of white men are going to pull him out of his house.

My take?

Well...we have the chance to test that theory. Will black policeman Mohammed Noor go to prison for shooting and killing unarmed Justine Damond? (See: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/20/us/minneapolis-police-shooting-justine-damond.html) He is using the same "I was in fear of my life" argument that the officer that killed Philando Castille successfully used in his defense. In Noor's case his partner said he was scared too. In Castille's case his partner said he wasn't scared. We shall see.

We shall indeed see.

There have been many many cases of white or minority cops that have shot white kids or teenagers and have skated.

The kid backing out of his garage, the kid that was shot when he answered the door with a video game control, the kid who was shot in the parking lot...those are a couple that come to mind recently.

Something else. I didn't know before watching banner that the first police in the U.S. were actually slave patrols. But that's documented.

Man, what am I doing here?

Phill and I have posted that history numerous times, for years now.

I thought you liked reading my posts. ;)

I will say this. I know white and hispanic police have gotten away with murdering white people. But I don't know off the top of my head of any black police officers who have. A hispanic officer was part of the crew the beat Kelly Thomas to death. The Mohammed Noor case has garnered a lot of publicity. If he walks that may cause the country of Australia to take a hard look at what is going on with police brutality in America. If he doesn't walk, that proves David Banner right.

I think in the past, white people that were abused, beaten or killed by cops, never got any headlines.

I know when I got a good beating for the crime of being a greasy biker, it never made the news.

That said, I'm sure there was ethnically motivated police brutality in the past and is now.

But now, more than ever before, it's much less about black vs. white and much more about Blue vs. All of Us.

Here is a simple change in the law I would want. If you kill someone and it turns out your life really wasn't in danger...you're off the force and you can never be a policeman again anywhere period. Even if you don't get convicted, you are banned for life from being a police officer. Yes I want a police officer to think before shooting someone or putting someone in an illegal choke hold like what happened with Eric Garner that "this next move may end my career." If you truly believe your life is in danger you should be willing to risk your career over it and if your gamble proves to be wrong at least you are still alive. It's time for this idea that we are going to give policemen a license to kill just based on a hunch to into the dustbin of history.

No more "qualified immunity".

A cop should be first on the hook for civil damages as well.

jmdrake
04-22-2018, 09:22 AM
There have been many many cases of white or minority cops that have shot white kids or teenagers and have skated.

The kid backing out of his garage, the kid that was shot when answered the door with a video game control, the kid who shot in the parking lot...those are couple that come to mind recently.

I'm aware of white people being abused and murdered by cops and you and I have discussed that in the past. And I know the hispanic cop that helped murder Kelly Thomas counts as a minority. I just can't off the top of my head come up with the specific example of a black cop killing an innocent white and getting away with it. I'm pretty sure statistically that has probably happened. It's just not on my radar. The Somali immigrant who killed the white Aussie woman has been all over the news. That reminds me. If he skates will Trumpkin anti-immigrant types be up in arms?

Phill and I have posted that history numerous times, for years now.

I thought you liked reading my posts. ;)

I do! But I'm sure I haven't read everything. And...I possibly saw those threads but now I'm getting old and forgetful. But I think I missed them because I believe I would have commented on them if I saw them. Anyway keep up the good work! We need to make a documentary on all of this!

I think in the past, white people that were abused, beaten or killed by cops, never got any headlines.

I know when I got a good beating for the crime of being a greasy biker, it never made the news.

I am SURE of that (white people being abused by cops and never getting headlines)!

That said, I'm sure there was ethnically motivated police brutality in the past and is now.

But now, more than ever before, it's much less about black vs. white and much more about Blue vs. All of Us.

I fully agree! No matter what happens in the Aussie case this could be a watershed moment. Either he skates and (some) white people finally wake up to the danger of giving police limiteless power to kill, or he gets convicted and racial disparity in the just us system becomes painfully apparent.

Yep! Totally! If you inspect ejector seats in the U.S. military and a pilot dies because you screwed up, nobody says "Well you had a high pressure job so we'll cut you some slack." You go straight to prison. Yet cops suffer no repercussions for killing unarmed people just because they claim "I was in fear of my life" even if the fear was unjustified. Horrid double standard.

osan
04-22-2018, 09:39 AM

RAYcis.

Wondering that myself.

Don't hold your breath.

One gets what one rewards. In this case, the truth should be plain to see for anyone with more than two brain cells to rub against each other and the least bit of will to face the truth.