PDA

View Full Version : TPP: Trump tells Kudlow to look into joining

undergroundrr
04-12-2018, 12:24 PM
http://www.businessinsider.com/tpp-deal-trump-kudlow-us-back-in-2018-4

President Donald Trump appears to be reversing course on a major multilateral trade deal.

GOP Sen. Ben Sasse, a staunch free-trade advocate, told reporters Thursday that during a White House meeting on Thursday, Trump directed two top economic advisers to reenter negotiations to get the US into the Trans-Pacific Partnership.

The TPP was crafted most extensively by President Barack Obama's administration. The agreement spans 11 countries around the Pacific Rim, including Japan, Australia, Mexico, and Canada. Despite Obama signing the deal in February 2016, Trump yanked the US out of the agreement just two days after his inauguration.

Sasse told reporters that Trump directed National Economic Council Director Larry Kudlow and US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer to look into getting the US back into the TPP.

"The best thing the United States can do to push back against Chinese cheating now is to lead the other eleven Pacific nations that believe in free trade and the rule of law," Sasse said in a statement after the meeting. "It is good news that today the president directed Larry Kudlow and Ambassador Lighthizer to negotiate US entry into TPP."

The other 11 countries signed a new agreement, called the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership, in March.

Trump originally trashed the TPP during the 2016 campaign, calling it "a rape of our country." But in January, the president suggested that the US could get back into the deal if terms were improved. But many TPP nations said the White House never engaged in serious talks regarding the deal.

The free trade move comes in contrast to a rash of recent protectionist measures Trump has imposed, including tariffs on imports of steel, aluminum, and $50 billion worth of Chinese goods.

Despite Trump's fiery rhetoric and crackdowns, Kudlow also suggested late last week that the president was attempting to find a "coalition of the willing" to take China on over trade. Some lawmakers and experts speculated that the "coalition" could be the TPP nations.

TheCount
04-12-2018, 01:03 PM
https://memegenerator.net/img/images/2729805.jpg

devil21
04-12-2018, 01:05 PM
LOL. This administration is a giant joke on everyone. The biggest troll job in history.

undergroundrr
04-12-2018, 01:11 PM
LOL. This administration is a giant joke on everyone. The biggest troll job in history.

Literally. He trolled America over the internet with Twitter. It just blows me away when I think of him standing in a hallway somewhere with his Galaxy S3 typing another one and hitting the send button to Planet Earth.

juleswin
04-12-2018, 01:17 PM
I am sure if he ever gets back into TPP, he would negotiate the best ever deal for the US. Anyone rememeber how Obama also promised to renegotiate NAFTA and never did?

The good thing about the American voter is that they have a very short memory and/they are very forgiving.

Swordsmyth
04-12-2018, 01:21 PM
Even if you believe Sasse we won't be getting back in, they won't let us back in and Trump won't agree to any deal they would agree to anyway.

Raginfridus
04-12-2018, 01:54 PM
Even if you believe Sasse we won't be getting back in, they won't let us back in and Trump won't agree to any deal they would agree to anyway.Do you know better than The President?!

Zippyjuan
04-12-2018, 01:58 PM
Do you know better than The President?!

Not even Trump knows. He has to ask Fox first.

Also worth keeping in mind that Trump was speaking at a meeting with Senators at the White House. He regularly tells them things he thinks they want to hear and then does the opposite- the most recent being DACA where he said he would sign any immigration bill they would send to him. When they wrote one, he said he would veto it (it failed to get enough votes anyways).

TPP negotiations have ended so Trump would have to be willing to accept the treaty as it is currently written.

NAFTA negotiations have not been making any progress. Trump said NAFTA negotiations can "take forever" as far as he is concerned. So much for the "Great Negotiator".

Swordsmyth
04-12-2018, 02:01 PM
Do you know better than The President?!

About what?
I never claimed to know anything, I gave my prediction of what will happen based on my opinions of DJTvsg and the TPP members, I also distrust Sasse.

Anti-Neocon
04-12-2018, 03:39 PM
I propose that Trump is not actually playing "4D chess", but rather "pigeon chess" (click for Urban Dictionary link) (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Pigeon%20chess).
https://pics.me.me/sull-gazing-com-arguing-with-idiots-is-like-playing-chess-with-a-19898881.png

enhanced_deficit
04-12-2018, 04:04 PM
If this is true, he could be viewed as one of the biggest flip floppers in rrecent political history.

But to be devil's advocate, is it possible his recent stances/actions on wars,domestic spending and other policies were under duress and not of free will?

Some discussions posted here earlier:

CIA Analyst McGovern: Trump is Deathly Afraid of the Deep State

(http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?519224-CIA-Analyst-McGovern-Trump-is-Deathly-Afraid-of-the-Deep-State&p=6607354&viewfull=1#post6607354)The Screws Turn on Trump after alleged chemical attack in Douma (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?521138-The-Screws-Turn-on-Trump-after-alleged-chemical-attack-in-Douma&)

Raginfridus
04-12-2018, 04:08 PM
About what?
I never claimed to know anything, I gave my prediction of what will happen based on my opinions of DJTvsg and the TPP members, I also distrust Sasse.

Fine. Is your prediction better than The President's?!

thoughtomator
04-12-2018, 04:09 PM
Any TPP he would agree to would bear no resemblance to the existing TPP, other than perhaps the list of participating nations.

This is a brand issue for him. He will not be giving away the farm like previous administrations.

He'll try to negotiate a good faith deal that works for the US as a nation, and if he doesn't get it, he'll walk away.

William Tell
04-12-2018, 04:11 PM
He will only support the best globalism.

Swordsmyth
04-12-2018, 04:12 PM
Fine. Is your prediction better than The President's?!

I see no prediction from the president, I see somebody else claiming that the president told two other people to look into something.
I gave my prediction about how it would turn out if it is true.

William Tell
04-12-2018, 04:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvO0FgJCUDY

dannno
04-12-2018, 04:16 PM
Poll: How much trust do you put in current President's promises and statements? (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?521272-How-much-trust-do-you-put-in-current-President-s-promises-and-statements)

Ironically, those here who hate Trump the most put the most trust in his promises and statements. But they refuse to vote that way in the poll.

thoughtomator
04-12-2018, 04:43 PM
Yup, Danno, they can be counted on to fall for the bait every time can't they? Only by being at least somewhat sympathetic to him and understanding the context in which he acts, can one reasonbly predict which statements are bankable and which are discardable.

undergroundrr
04-12-2018, 04:51 PM
Sincere, non-confrontational question to dannno and thoughtomator. Would you characterize him as a liar/dishonest, or would you use some other verbiage to describe how he messages?

dannno
04-12-2018, 04:56 PM
Sincere, non-confrontational question to @dannno (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/member.php?u=10908) and @thoughtomator (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/member.php?u=37482). Would you characterize him as a liar/dishonest, or would you use some other verbiage to describe how he messages?

It is ok to lie, a good person can lie in order to deceive dishonest people.

It's sort of like using violence in self-defense.

I keep posting this video, for anybody who wants to understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1-0o0cSw24

Swordsmyth
04-12-2018, 05:03 PM

I keep posting this video, for anybody who wants to understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1-0o0cSw24

Politics is war by other means, Trump is a spy, the only question is which side does he really work for.

It is a dangerous game he is playing because we have no way to be sure of him and therefore he risks losing or never gaining our support, he still doesn't have mine.

thoughtomator
04-12-2018, 05:50 PM
Sincere, non-confrontational question to dannno and thoughtomator. Would you characterize him as a liar/dishonest, or would you use some other verbiage to describe how he messages?

I'd describe him as a benevolent manipulator. He's playing the game same as others do, but he's playing for Team American citizens, not Team Deep State.

It's a New York thing. Look up Mayor Fiorella LaGuardia for the archetype that Trump is playing out. Much of the shape of New York today is a direct result of his mayorality.

spudea
04-12-2018, 05:51 PM

I think people with a low IQ (most people including Ben Sasse), have no idea how to understand or relate to a person with high IQ (Trump). Ben Sasse "a staunch free trader" loves the TPP.... this tells me all I need to know about Ben Sasse, he is low IQ trash and he is filtering what he interpreted from the president, and what he interpreted could be seriously flawed. I think the "sources" that are most prevalent in the media are filtering the president in a flawed dishonest way. Whenever I hear the president directly from his own mouth, I can understand him pretty well and what he is trying to accomplish. I suspect what actually happened here is Trump asked his top economic advisors to look into trade deals with these countries in order to weaken china. That doesn't mean joining the old TPP agreement that would have been an absolute disaster, but that's the take away Ben Sasse was left with because "he loves the TPP".

https://youtu.be/SEPs17_AkTI

thoughtomator
04-12-2018, 05:53 PM

It's an execution of the maxim "it is immoral to deal morally with an amoral entity".

What the Left and the Deep State both share is that they are both amoral entities. Nothing is too far for either one to achieve an end.

Raginfridus
04-12-2018, 08:29 PM
Yup, Danno, they can be counted on to fall for the bait every time can't they? Only by being at least somewhat sympathetic to him and understanding the context in which he acts, can one reasonbly predict which statements are bankable and which are discardable.

Ironically, those who love him put the least trust in his word. What can you do when the brand you love is Trump?

nikcers
04-12-2018, 08:41 PM
Ironically, those who love him put the least trust in his word. What can you do when the brand you love is Trump?
-You have to abandon the free market principles in order to save the free market system.
You're only saying that because you don't even know how to win a trade war, but thats okay China won the trade war a long time ago. So we have to abandon the trade war and to do that you have to win a trade war and only then we can have free trade, and to win free trade we need to get the best trade deal possible.

Swordsmyth
04-12-2018, 08:49 PM

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP. 5uczMysxX5yZD_1D7gRPEAHaHa%26pid%3D15.1&f=1

Swordsmyth
04-12-2018, 08:52 PM

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Op6WWsTz1Dg/maxresdefault.jpg

Raginfridus
04-12-2018, 08:55 PM
https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/02/96/c3/77/filename-t1-jpg-thumbnail0.jpg

thoughtomator
04-12-2018, 08:56 PM

It's an evolved level of self-awareness. I absolutely love seeing Trump fuck over all sorts of bad actors who really really deserve it, using their own tools against them.

It's as I said in the beginning before Trump Derangement took hold here. Trump is the hammer with which we are smashing our enemies.

Assuming that you fall within our definition of "our" which is American citizens, the people the government has the duty to serve in the first place.

This is what the path out of this mess looks like. It doesn't have to come in the form you expected too, to be a good thing.

nikcers
04-12-2018, 09:02 PM
It's an evolved level of self-awareness. I absolutely love seeing Trump $#@! over all sorts of bad actors who really really deserve it, using their own tools against them.
LOL! Stupid government wanted to create a trillion dollar cash grab globalist trade deal boondoggle, Trump is too smart for them though, he will make the stupid trade deal even bigger. :rolleyes:

Raginfridus
04-12-2018, 09:02 PM
It's an evolved level of self-awareness. I absolutely love seeing Trump $#@! over all sorts of bad actors who really really deserve it, using their own tools against them.

It's as I said in the beginning before Trump Derangement took hold here. Trump is the hammer with which we are smashing our enemies.

Assuming that you fall within our definition of "our" which is American citizens, the people the government has the duty to serve in the first place.

This is what the path out of this mess looks like. It doesn't have to come in the form you expected too, to be a good thing.Who's he shit on?

Who's been smashed?

Did you expect this form, or did Gawd reveal it to you in a fever dream?

nikcers
04-12-2018, 09:06 PM
Who's he $#@! on?

Who's been smashed?

You should of seen it when he bombed Syria a year ago, he tricked them into giving him positive news coverage by using their own ideas against them. AHAHAHAHAHA:o

thoughtomator
04-12-2018, 09:29 PM
Who's he $#@! on?

Who's been smashed?

Yeah, I did expect this form.

Then again I'm from New York and I know who Fiorella LaGuardia is and what he did.

The Deep State is the new Tammany Hall.

thoughtomator
04-12-2018, 09:30 PM
LOL! Stupid government wanted to create a trillion dollar cash grab globalist trade deal boondoggle, Trump is too smart for them though, he will make the stupid trade deal even bigger. :rolleyes:

low quality shitposter sez wat?

nikcers
04-12-2018, 09:31 PM
low quality $#@!poster sez wat?
I'll shit post twice as much as you and that will get rid of all the shit post.

thoughtomator
04-12-2018, 09:34 PM
I'll $#@! post twice as much as you and that will get rid of all the $#@! post.

I'll mute you from my feed, and I'll never deal with you in any way again, and you can enjoy low quality shitposting at a wall of ignore.

Forever.

muhahahaha

nikcers
04-12-2018, 09:35 PM

TheCount
04-13-2018, 12:05 AM

Then again I'm from New York and I know who Fiorella LaGuardia is and what he did.

The Deep State is the new Tammany Hall.

No answers to the important questions. Even the Trumphumpers know that their fan fiction is too stupid to share except among themselves.

undergroundrr
04-13-2018, 05:53 AM
Just a quick thank you for answering my question, dannno and thoughtomator.

I certainly don't feel a need to tell the truth to someone evil. I agree that if Tweets are meant for the Deep State, political globalists, neo-cons, etc. then they shouldn't be held to normal standards of honesty between honorable men.

For myself, living in close proximity to someone with a nearly identical personality to trump's, I think it's equal parts 1. what he's thinking at the moment; 2. signaling; and 3. just echoing cherry-picked sentiments of the people he's surrounding himself with at the time. I don't think he's on any "path," except in the sense that the path is constantly changing as his own intentions and convictions constantly change with his social environment.

I've also come to the conclusion he doesn't really have any desire for American greatness or anything like that. But he does want to stamp his name on something remarkable. And I think he's a person who's a risk-taker and will gamble everything if he thinks he can hold it up to naysayers later.

thoughtomator
04-13-2018, 06:07 AM
I've also come to the conclusion he doesn't really have any desire for American greatness or anything like that. But he does want to stamp his name on something remarkable. And I think he's a person who's a risk-taker and will gamble everything if he thinks he can hold it up to naysayers later.

There's something like 3 decades of interviews where he consistently expresses the same sentiments. On his core issues he has been every bit as consistent as Ron Paul for just as long. If someone said that Ron Paul doesn't really believe in liberty and was just saying those things for self-aggrandizement, I would receive that statement with about the same blend and amount of incredulity and astonishment.

Any reasonable bar on consistency regarding Trump's pro-American ideology can be met. An unreasonable one is a waste of time to try to meet.

thoughtomator
04-13-2018, 06:29 AM
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/04/13/donald-trump-walks-back-eagerness-to-rejoin-tpp-demands-better-deal/

Not even 12 hours later, the I-want-everything-to-proceed-exactly-as-I-prefer-it whiner club has egg all over its face.

How many times does this need to happen before it becomes obvious that a negotiation tactic is not a commitment?

Zippyjuan
04-13-2018, 11:41 AM
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/04/13/donald-trump-walks-back-eagerness-to-rejoin-tpp-demands-better-deal/

Not even 12 hours later, the I-want-everything-to-proceed-exactly-as-I-prefer-it whiner club has egg all over its face.

How many times does this need to happen before it becomes obvious that a negotiation tactic is not a commitment?

TPP negotiations have ended. The US lost. We had pushed for (and received) strong protections on patents and intellectual property but when the US dropped out, those provisions were deleted (Trump could have used them against China). If the US wants to join TPP it will have to be its current form which other countries are now in the process of approving.

But it is doubtful that Trump intends to rejoin the TPP anyways since he was so staunchly against it (without even knowing what it said). He has had similar meetings with Senators on issues like immigration and gun control- and left them with the impression that he agreed with their positions only to reneg on those promises.

dannno
04-13-2018, 11:48 AM
If the US wants to join TPP it will have to be its current form which other countries are now in the process of approving.

So it isn't going to happen.

But it is doubtful that Trump intends to rejoin the TPP anyways since he was so staunchly against it (without even knowing what it said).

In other words, TheCount posted fake news and took it seriously.

Zippyjuan
04-13-2018, 11:58 AM
So it isn't going to happen.

The thread was not started by TheCount.

TheCount
04-13-2018, 12:00 PM
Obviously you haven't been paying attention.

dannno
04-13-2018, 12:08 PM
The thread was not started by TheCount.

Obviously you haven't been paying attention.

LOL, sorry, quick everybody go to the OP and look at the first reply and see how "wrong" I was :rolleyes:

https://imgflip.com/s/meme/Creepy-Condescending-Wonka.jpg