PDA

View Full Version : S.C. Republicans introduce bill to consider secession over gun rights

Swordsmyth
04-06-2018, 08:38 PM
A group of Republican state legislators in South Carolina introduced a measure Thursday that would allow the state to secede from the United States if the federal government began to seize legally purchased firearms in the state.
The bill (https://www.scstatehouse.gov/billsearch.php?billnumbers=5217&session=122&summary=B), which was referred to the state House Judiciary Committee on Thursday, would allow South Carolina lawmakers to debate whether to secede from the United States if the federal government were to violate the Second Amendment.
It states that "the general assembly shall convene to consider whether to secede from the United States based upon the federal government's unconstitutional violation of the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution if the federal government confiscates legally purchased firearms in this state."

More at: http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/382003-south-carolina-house-republicans-introduce-bill-to-consider-secession

thoughtomator
04-06-2018, 08:45 PM
The evidence in favor of my good judgment in moving to South Carolina continues to accumulate.

oyarde
04-06-2018, 09:41 PM
Pansies . They should make a preemptive strike on DC , show 'em who is boss . LOL

RonZeplin
04-06-2018, 09:52 PM
Expect a 48 State secession if Donald & Dianne get their way. Only New York and Massachusetts will be left in "Gun Free Zone" Union .

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GrossOrneryHoki-max-1mb.gif

phill4paul
04-06-2018, 09:59 PM
After the Civil War N.C. was forced to adopt the Constitution declaration...

Sec. 4. Secession prohibited.

"This State shall ever remain a member of the American Union; the people thereof are part of the American nation; there is no right on the part of this State to secede; and all attempts, from whatever source or upon whatever pretext, to dissolve this Union or to sever this Nation, shall be resisted with the whole power of the State."

Was not South Carolina?

Swordsmyth
04-06-2018, 10:07 PM
After the Civil War N.C. was forced to adopt the Constitution declaration...

Sec. 4. Secession prohibited.

"This State shall ever remain a member of the American Union; the people thereof are part of the American nation; there is no right on the part of this State to secede; and all attempts, from whatever source or upon whatever pretext, to dissolve this Union or to sever this Nation, shall be resisted with the whole power of the State."

Was not South Carolina?

Any such provision is void due to coercion.
And if the state secedes who is going to enforce it?

phill4paul
04-06-2018, 10:11 PM
Any such provision is void due to coercion.
And if the state secedes who is going to enforce it?

Coercion? Absolutely. But, it's still in the state Constitution and the legislators would first have to remove it. C'mon, either we are a nation of laws, just and unjust, or we are a democracy.

Swordsmyth
04-06-2018, 10:14 PM
Coercion? Absolutely. But, it's still in the state Constitution and the legislators would first have to remove it. C'mon, either we are a nation of laws, just and unjust, or we are a democracy.
So you would follow unconstitutional laws?
It is just as void as any unconstitutional law.

phill4paul
04-06-2018, 10:18 PM
So you would follow unconstitutional laws?
It is just as void as any unconstitutional law.

No. North Carolina's law is the States Constitutional law. Article I, Section 4. If S.C. Constitutional law is the same then it is, by definition, Constitutional.

Swordsmyth
04-06-2018, 10:20 PM
No. North Carolina's law is the States Constitutional law. Article I, Section 4. If S.C. Constitutional law is the same then it is, by definition, Constitutional.
I didn't say it wasn't "constitutional", i said it was just as void since it was enacted under coercion.

phill4paul
04-06-2018, 10:28 PM
I didn't say it wasn't "constitutional", i said it was just as void since it was enacted under coercion.

But, it is the LAW. Either you believe in a Republic or you don't. If you wish to threaten to secede, you do that first by amending your Constitution to allow for it.

dannno
04-07-2018, 01:34 AM
But, it is the LAW. Either you believe in a Republic or you don't. If you wish to threaten to secede, you do that first by amending your Constitution to allow for it.

When smoking weed was against the law around here, a lot of people did it anyway.