PDA

View Full Version : IL - Village of Deerfield bans "assault rifles" and magazines

Anti Federalist
04-04-2018, 02:35 AM
Deerfield bans assault weapons and high-capacity magazines

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/deerfield/news/ct-dfr-deerfield-assault-weapon-ban-tl-0412-story.html

Owners of assault weapons living in north suburban Deerfield have until June 13 to remove the firearms from within village limits or face daily fines after a ban was approved Monday night.

The Village Board of Trustees unanimously approved a ban on certain types of assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, amending a 2013 ordinance that regulated the storage of those items.

The new ordinance prohibits the possession, sale and manufacturing of certain types of assault weapons and large capacity magazines within the village, according to the ordinance. One change from the law as it was originally discussed exempts retired police officers from the ban, according to Village Manager Kent Street.

Violations carry a fine of between $250 and $1,000 per day, according to Matthew Rose, the village attorney. He said the fine is levied each day until there is compliance.

Street said the new law is modeled after one approved by Highland Park in 2013. That ban survived a legal challenge by one of the city’s residents and the Illinois State Rifle Association. The 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals held that legislation constitutional and the U.S. Supreme Court let the decision stand when it declined to take up the appeal.

Unlike Highland Park, Deerfield opted not to enact a total ban on assault weapons during a 10-day window that Illinois lawmakers’ gave home-rule municipalities in 2013 before the state’s new Firearm Concealed Carry Act eliminated their ability to do so.

However, Deerfield trustees did enact an ordinance defining assault weapons and requiring the safe storage and safe transportation of those weapons within the village. That measure, which was enacted during the permitted time frame, preserved Deerfield's right to amend the ordinance in the future, Street previously said.

“This is not only held constitutional by the Seventh Circuit but similar laws have been ruled constitutional in California, the District of Columbia and Maryland,” Rose said last month.

The original resolution said that since Deerfield enacted its regulations, “assault weapons have been increasingly used in an alarming number of notorious mass shooting incidents at public schools, public venues, places of worship and places of public accommodation.”

In the ordinance, the definition of an assault weapon includes, among others, semiautomatic rifles that have a fixed magazine with a capacity to accept more than 10 rounds of ammunition; shotguns with a revolving cylinder; and semiautomatic pistols and rifles that can accept large-capacity magazines and possess one of a list of other features. Among the dozens of specific models cited are the AR-15, AK-47 and Uzi, according to the ordinance.

The rationale mentions four recent shooting incidents that have claimed a total of 150 lives: The shootings at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School that left 17 dead; a massacre at the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, Texas that killed 26 people; the Las Vegas music festival shooting that left 58 dead and the Pulse Nightclub mass shooting in Orlando, Fla. that killed 49 people.

Though the trustees had virtually no debate Monday night, more than 70 people attended the meeting. Of the 20 people who spoke, 14 were opposed to the ordinance and six supported it. Eight of 14 people who expressed opposition to the ban said they lived outside Deerfield.

Opponents of the ban like Larry Nordal of Deerfield cited their rights under the Second Amendment and expressed fear that more restrictive laws would be passed in the future.

“The ordinance to store firearms was only passed for one reason,” Nordal said. “That was to have an amendatory vehicle that could be used in the future for just this purpose so you could banish assorted firearms in the future. First it’s going to be assault rifles. (There will be) new bans in the future. It’s just a matter of time.”

Ariella Kharasch, a Deerfield High School senior who favors the legislation, said she wants more action both on a local and national level.

“This is our fight,” Kharasch said. “This is our generation’s fight. We’re going to keep fighting and this is part of it. Change happens gradually step by step. The fight does not end at the borders of our village.”

Joel Siegel of Lincolnwood said governments in other countries have banned weapons and then proceeded to use weapons against defenseless citizens. He urged civil disobedience as a way to stay safe.

“There’s an ancient and honored American tradition called disobeying an unjust law,” Siegel said. “I have urged (people) to listen to their conscience and if so moved do not obey this law.”

Mike Weisman, a Glen Ellyn resident and a board member of the Illinois State Rifle Association said Deerfield should be prepared for a lawsuit like the one filed against neighboring Highland Park. That city received assistance with its legal defense from gun violence prevention organizations, according to Street.

While the trustees did not discuss their reasons for supporting the ordinance at this meeting, Trustee Barbara Struthers said she knew of people who were opposed but chose not to come and speak because it would subject them to ridicule in the community. She wants none of that.

“I’m going to vote for the ordinance but people who disagree with the gun owners should not be beating them over the head just because they disagree,” Struthers said.

Deerfield Mayor Harriet Rosenthal has previously stated that she decided to take up the ban after the Feb. 14 school shooting in Parkland, Fla.

“Enough is enough,” Rosenthal said when the ban was first discussed. “Those students are so articulate just like our students. There is no place here for assault weapons.”

Anti Federalist
04-04-2018, 02:38 AM
Deerfield Mayor Harriet Rosenthal has previously stated that she decided to take up the ban after the Feb. 14 school shooting in Parkland, Fla.

“Enough is enough,” Rosenthal said when the ban was first discussed. “Those students are so articulate just like our students. There is no place here for assault weapons.”

"As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

NorthCarolinaLiberty
04-04-2018, 03:09 AM
https://gunfreezone.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/SURRENDER-WEAPONS.jpg

oyarde
04-04-2018, 05:12 AM
I wonder if these commie retards think this will prevent a mass murderer from shooting them ? Or if they just do it to be commie retards ? Makes me feel safer knowing they are now much more likely to be shot than I . I think the Illinois police should disarm along with the people .

phill4paul
04-04-2018, 06:04 AM
One change from the law as it was originally discussed exempts retired police officers from the ban

Lol. Fuck you. One good thing about registration is that you can't hide. They are coming for your guns. Put up or shut up.

donnay
04-04-2018, 06:43 AM
They just sent a crystal clear message to criminals that the people of Deerfield, IL are now sitting ducks.

jkr
04-04-2018, 08:51 AM
police have NO DUTY to protect you or your property, so who does!?!?

no veterans allowed?!?!

Isnt this a felony, 42 usc 1983 violation?!?!?

Is Deerfield , IL no longer part of these UNITED ( ha) STATES?!!?

this will a get struck down, I hope the people who pushed this are arrested and tried for treason!

aGameOfThrones
04-04-2018, 09:15 AM
Zombie Logic...

Zombies: Police are evil
Zombies: Only police should have guns
Zombies: I hate the government
Zombies: The government should ban guns

"If Conservatives trust God, why do they need so many guns? ...Because we don't trust Liberals."

nobody's_hero
04-04-2018, 09:45 AM
My frustration is this:

I wonder just how many of those gun owners will pack up their families, their businesses, and their tax dollars and move to other more gun-friendly states, or will they eventually just comply and settle back down and hope this is as far as it goes?

Why do gun owners still live in New Jersey? Or Connecticut, or Deerfield, Illinois? Why help keep those areas of the country worthy of even being put on a map? Leave, and announce your exit boldly. And hell, let criminals know that law-abiding gun owners of Deerfield are bugging out but leaving the gate open.

Anti Federalist
04-04-2018, 10:16 AM
Zombie Logic...

Zombies: Police are evil
Zombies: Only police should have guns
Zombies: I hate the government
Zombies: The government should ban guns

"If Conservatives trust God, why do they need so many guns? ...Because we don't trust Liberals."

Zombies: Only the government should have guns.

Anti Federalist
04-04-2018, 10:20 AM
police have NO DUTY to protect you or your property, so who does!?!?

no veterans allowed?!?!

Isnt this a felony, 42 usc 1983 violation?!?!?

Is Deerfield , IL no longer part of these UNITED ( ha) STATES?!!?

this will a get struck down, I hope the people who pushed this are arrested and tried for treason!

No, sadly, it won't, unless the SCROTUS decides to hear the case, assuming somebody takes it that high.

It's already been adjudicated...read the OP again.

Brian4Liberty
04-04-2018, 10:38 AM
In the ordinance, the definition of an assault weapon includes, among others, semiautomatic rifles that have a fixed magazine with a capacity to accept more than 10 rounds of ammunition; shotguns with a revolving cylinder; and semiautomatic pistols and rifles that can accept large-capacity magazines and possess one of a list of other features.

Wow. That's a big fishing net. This would apply to almost all semi-automatic weapons. Pretty much all 22 semi-auto rifles hold more than 10 rounds. If a weapon has a removable magazine, it's a good bet it "can accept large capacity magazines".

Ruger 10/22? Banned.
Marlin Model 60? Banned.
Remington Nylon 66? Banned.

pcosmar
04-04-2018, 10:47 AM
Wow. That's a big fishing net. This would apply to almost all semi-automatic weapons. Pretty much all 22 semi-auto rifles hold more than 10 rounds. If a weapon has a removable magazine, it's a good bet it "can accept large capacity magazines".

Ruger 10/22? Banned.
Marlin Model 60? Banned.

and nearly every semi-auto handgun ever made. Broom handle Mauser may be acceptable.

aGameOfThrones

Ruger 10/22? Banned.
Marlin Model 60? Banned.

Zombies: When you give us that inch, that Bump Stock ban, we’ll take a mile.
Zombies: No one is talking about banning all guns, just this and that

Dr.3D
So how are they going to know if somebody has one of those in their house? Are they going to do daily inspections of everybody's home?

TheTexan
04-04-2018, 11:16 AM
But they can still have hunting weapons right?

jkr
04-04-2018, 11:21 AM
Like the "UK", if u USE it to defend yo self, YOU go to JAIL or worse.

bunklocoempire
04-04-2018, 12:47 PM
But they can still have hunting weapons right?

The goal of the 2nd is preventing deeranny, so of course hunting weapons of sport and tradition will be allowed.

https://pictshare.net/700x460/09z1mvrk9k.jpg

seapilot
04-04-2018, 12:52 PM
So how are they going to know if somebody has one of those in their house? Are they going to do daily inspections of everybody's home?

Neighbors and acquaintances doing their "civic duty".

bunklocoempire
04-04-2018, 01:15 PM

Yep.

Dispatch said a weapon was mentioned, we have to make contact.

Anti Federalist
04-04-2018, 02:03 PM

And FOID card registration lists.

TheTexan
04-04-2018, 04:36 PM
The goal of the 2nd is preventing deeranny

I hear it gets pretty bad in Deerfield, IL

Raginfridus
04-04-2018, 04:47 PM

Remember the prestigious author who thought she saw a rebel flag (but it was the Norwegian flag), and she called the newspaper to "investigate"?

The concern nazis will turn you in.

Dr.3D
04-04-2018, 04:47 PM
Remember the prestigious author who thought she saw a rebel flag (but it was the Norwegian flag), and she called the newspaper to "investigate"?

The concern nazis will turn you in.
How would they know what's in my safe?

Raginfridus
04-04-2018, 04:50 PM

Know? The concern nazi does not know anything. ;)

Ender
04-04-2018, 05:47 PM
Zombies: Only the government should have guns.

Welcome to NaziErica.

pcosmar
04-04-2018, 07:05 PM
I had previously questioned the actual need for this,, but it's practicality is coming into view.

https://fightlite.com/collections/mcr-rifles

phill4paul
04-04-2018, 07:10 PM

Does it matter? Rumors. Or rumors of rumors.

Dr.3D
04-04-2018, 07:13 PM
Does it matter? Rumors. Or rumors of rumors.
So break down my door in the middle of the night like a thief, and then they'll find out if I'm armed.

Swordsmyth
04-04-2018, 07:16 PM
So break down my door in the middle of the night like a thief, and then they'll find out if I'm armed.

For your own good.

Dr.3D
04-04-2018, 07:17 PM
For your own good.
Yeah, would make the undertaker happy too.

phill4paul
04-04-2018, 07:20 PM
My frustration is this:

I wonder just how many of those gun owners will pack up their families, their businesses, and their tax dollars and move to other more gun-friendly states, or will they eventually just comply and settle back down and hope this is as far as it goes?

Why do gun owners still live in New Jersey? Or Connecticut, or Deerfield, Illinois? Why help keep those areas of the country worthy of even being put on a map? Leave, and announce your exit boldly. And hell, let criminals know that law-abiding gun owners of Deerfield are bugging out but leaving the gate open.

Fuck a bunch of "packing up the family." Carry openly. Shoot, or beat the fuck out of, the first sumbitch that tries to take it away from you. Like John Joe Gray.

phill4paul
04-04-2018, 07:22 PM

What about during the day?

Jan2017
04-04-2018, 07:22 PM
They just sent a crystal clear message to criminals that the people of Deerfield, IL are now sitting ducks.
Yep . . . let it be known then - the goal is that the only folks that are gonna be armed in Deerfield, Illinois
would be the goonerment and the bad guys.

Dr.3D
04-04-2018, 07:23 PM
What about during the day?
If they knock at the door, I'll answer....

Break the door down and I'll figure I'm being assaulted.

phill4paul
04-04-2018, 07:26 PM
If they knock at the door, I'll answer....

Break the door down and I'll figure I'm being assaulted.

What about driving to the local hardware store?

Dr.3D
04-04-2018, 07:27 PM
What about driving to the local hardware store?
What about it?

Pull me over and I'm pulled over.... now what?

phill4paul
04-04-2018, 07:30 PM
What about it?

Pull me over and I'm pulled over.... now what?

"Mr. 3D we've pulled you over because we've been informed by our data base that you have illegal weapons. We're going to take you into custody because you have not turned your gun in nor payed your fines."

Now what, indeed?

Dr.3D
04-04-2018, 07:36 PM
"Mr. 3D we've pulled you over because we've been informed by our data base that you have illegal weapons. We're going to take you into custody because you have not turned your gun in nor payed your fines."

Now what, indeed?
Yeah, well I'm too old for that shit.... give me life and it wouldn't be more than five years anyway.

Jan2017
04-04-2018, 07:38 PM

Now what, indeed?
An unlawful possession of firearm (can even be in an adjoining room in the house - unloaded) . . .
is a serious felonious enhancement to whatever the State accuses you of doing - jaywalking unlawfully armed (?)- shame shame - go to jail.

Swordsmyth
04-04-2018, 07:41 PM
Yep . . . let it be known then - the goal is that the only folks that are gonna be armed in Deerfield, Illinois

You are being redundant.

Swordsmyth
04-04-2018, 07:43 PM
Yeah, well I'm too old for that $#@!.... give me life and it wouldn't be more than five years anyway.

Don't think that way, we need you and all the liberty lovers to live forever.

Jan2017
04-04-2018, 07:46 PM
You are being redundant. Well, ok, I meant the "legally authorized goonerment" and the "illegal, criminal bad guys" (?) -
damn, still no difference.

Dr.3D
04-04-2018, 07:48 PM
Don't think that way, we need you and all the liberty lovers to live forever.
Well, they could ask and I could tell them, I am storing my firearms outside of their stinking little village.

But would they believe me?

Might be a great business opportunity for somebody.
Build a storage facility just outside of town for folks in that stinking little town to store their contraband items.

Danke
04-04-2018, 08:25 PM
Well, they could ask and I could tell them, I am storing my firearms outside of their stinking little village.

But would they believe me?

Might be a great business opportunity for somebody.
Build a storage facility just outside of town for folks in that stinking little town to store their contraband items.

And when seconds count, just like cops, it is only minutes away...

Dr.3D
04-04-2018, 08:28 PM
Just use your revolver.

pcosmar
04-04-2018, 09:46 PM
Yeah, well I'm too old for that $#@!.... give me life and it wouldn't be more than five years anyway.

What I thought..

and 30 years past due I don't know if I want to do another 30.

pcosmar
04-04-2018, 10:20 PM

you are being redundant.

Danke
04-04-2018, 10:50 PM
Just use your revolver.

I inherited a couple of those...but never shot them. I prefer my semi-automatic arsenal, that I am trained on.

The government even trained me to shot over my shoulder sitting down facing forward while protecting my neck from knife attacks.

Swordsmyth
04-04-2018, 10:57 PM
The government even trained me to shot over my shoulder sitting down facing forward while protecting my neck from knife attacks.

In case of Injun attacks?

Danke
04-04-2018, 11:03 PM
In case of Injun attacks?

I don't allow Injuns to fly on my airplanes.

Swordsmyth
04-04-2018, 11:06 PM
I don't allow Injuns to fly on my airplanes.

I meant stowaways.

nobody's_hero
04-05-2018, 05:51 AM
$#@! a bunch of "packing up the family." Carry openly. Shoot, or beat the $#@! out of, the first sumbitch that tries to take it away from you. Like John Joe Gray.

Less chance of that happening than moving away, to be honest. I feel like we conservatives keep liberal strongholds above water. We should stop being their milk-cows.
We leave, we take our wealth and self-sufficiency with us, and those areas will wither and blow away. Detroit 2.0.

Then it becomes a vicious cycle of a slow, painful decay. Poverty increases. Crime increases. Taxes increase to compensate for loss of tax revenue and need to expand law enforcement. Further strain on the businesses who remain. Poverty increases. Crime increases. Everyone starts getting taxed, not just the wealthy. Taxes increase to compensate. Liberal leaders become rulers of a kingdom of rubble and condemned buildings. Poverty increases. Crime increases. Taxes increase. The city dies.

XNavyNuke
04-06-2018, 05:55 AM

And will secure the perimeter of the scene.

XNN

Swordsmyth
04-20-2018, 05:57 PM
A second lawsuit is seeking to overturn the village of Deerfield (http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/chicago-suburbs/deerfield-CHIS0013-topic.html)’s assault weapons ban (http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/deerfield/news/ct-dfr-deerfield-assault-weapon-ban-tl-0412-story.html) that is scheduled to take effect June 13.

The suit filed Thursday by the advocacy group Guns Save Life and Deerfield resident John William Wombacher III challenges the Deerfield ordinance that was approved April 2 on numerous grounds.
The National Rifle Association (http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/crime-law-justice/national-rifle-association-of-america-ORCIG000080-topic.html)’s Institute for Legislative Action issued a news release Thursday saying it was supporting the Guns Save Life lawsuit.
The suit contends, among other things, that a provision instructing the Deerfield chief of police to confiscate and destroy assault weapons and large-capacity magazines violates a guarantee under the Illinois Constitution that private property shall not be taken for public use without just compensation.
The suit also challenges the definition of “so-called assault weapons” and “large capacity magazines” in the ordinance, noting the ban covers prevalent firearms that are overwhelmingly used for self-defense. Those include the AR-15, described in the suit as “America's most popular semiautomatic rifle.”
“What we are looking to do is block the village of Deerfield’s unconstitutional efforts, in our opinion, to deny residents, passers through and people visiting the right to firearms based merely on cosmetic appearance,” said John Boch, executive director of Guns Save Life.
Boch said the Deerfield ordinance banning firearms “based on appearances makes no more sense than banning brown M&M’s just because the village doesn’t like the color of the particular M&M.”

Deerfield officials could not be reached Thursday for comment on the latest lawsuit.

More at: http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/deerfield/news/ct-dfr-assault-weapons-ban-second-lawsuit-tl-0426-story.html

Swordsmyth
06-13-2018, 02:23 PM
A Lake County Circuit Court judge has issued a temporary restraining order blocking the Village of Deerfield (http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/chicago-suburbs/deerfield-CHIS0013-topic.html) from enforcing the assault weapons ban scheduled to take effect Wednesday.
The Deerfield ordinance, which was approved April 2 (http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/deerfield/news/ct-dfr-deerfield-assault-weapon-ban-tl-0412-story.html), gave residents until June 13 to turn in any guns that fit the village’s definition of assault weapons, remove them from the village, or alter the weapons so they would not be prohibited under the ordinance. Residents found in violation could be fined up to $1,000 a day.
Plaintiffs in two lawsuits challenging the village’s authority to prohibit assault weapons (http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/deerfield/news/ct-dfr-assault-weapon-ban-lawsuit-tl-0412-story.html) asked Circuit Court Judge Luis Berrones Tuesday to prevent enforcement until the case could be heard. The judge issued a written ruling later Tuesday granting the request.

More at: http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/deerfield/news/ct-dfr-judge-temporarily-blocks-deerfield-assault-weapons-ban-tl-0621-story.html

Swordsmyth
03-23-2019, 03:51 PM
Judge blocks Deerfield, Illinois’ Assault Weapons and High-Cap Mag ban (https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/03/22/circuit-judge-blocks-assault-weapons-ban-in-chicago-suburb/)