PDA

View Full Version : Could Trump Actually Use Military Funding for His Border Wall?

TheCount
04-02-2018, 05:43 PM
TL;DR: No.

President Trump can’t seem to find the funds to fulfill his signature campaign pledge of building a border wall—and his Plan C could get even more complicated.

On the campaign trail, Trump insisted that Mexico would pay for the wall, a proposal that the Mexican government quickly shut down (https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2016/03/mexico-president-trump-wall/472686/). Once in office, Trump looked to Congress to foot the bill, but lawmakers—many of whom are unconvinced there’s a need for additional construction—only allocated $1.6 billion for the wall in the $1.3 trillion spending package they passed earlier this month. The figure falls well short of the $25 billion that Trump asked for, and most of the funds are for repairing existing barriers, not mounting new ones.

Now, Trump has reportedly (https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-privately-presses-for-military-to-pay-for-border-wall/2018/03/27/d79907a2-31c9-11e8-9759-56e51591e250_story.html?utm_term=.bc2fa4d9aced) floated the idea of the U.S. military footing the bill—a move that would dramatically change how the government has approached border security in recent years. The Department of Defense has much deeper pockets than the Department of Homeland Security to pull from, but any attempt to use DOD funds would likely face serious obstacles in Congress and perhaps even legal challenges. Shifting some of the responsibility of securing the border from DHS, which has long had jurisdiction, to DOD would mean putting the department in a position to lead where it’s chiefly held a supporting role.

Using DOD money for the wall would likely require congressional approval. But “the bigger question is whether Congress really wants the president treating something that has historically been a law-enforcement enterprise as a defense enterprise, as a military enterprise,” said Christopher Swift, an adjunct professor of national-security studies at Georgetown University and a partner in the national-security practice at Foley & Lardner, LLP, an international law firm. News reports on Trump’s plan haven’t specified whether DOD would have full control over the wall, its construction, and patrols of the surrounding areas. But security experts I spoke with think that’s a possibility. Attempts to have the department fund the wall but not oversee it would likely result in an “administrative nightmare,” Swift said.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/04/can-the-us-military-build-trumps-border-wall/556967/

dannno
04-02-2018, 05:50 PM
Wow, that article is so full of fake news fail that I have no idea whether to trust their conclusion or not :confused:

TheCount
04-02-2018, 05:59 PM
Wow, that article is so full of fake news fail that I have no idea whether to trust their conclusion or not :confused:
I appreciate the in-depth refutation.

goldenequity
04-02-2018, 05:59 PM
'likely' was used 3 times in same article. hahaha.. a thoroughly vetted drill down on the article's topic. why post? why even write?
here's some articles on bumble bees in the Sudan: HERE (https://duckduckgo.com/?t=palemoon&q=bumble+bees+sudan&ia=web)

dannno
04-02-2018, 06:01 PM
I appreciate the in-depth refutation.

I guess maybe you could point out in the article where you got your conclusion from, because they claim there may be some legal obstacles but they certainly don't seem to indicate it would be impossible for him to do.

oyarde
04-02-2018, 06:23 PM
I see no reason they cannot .

Dr.3D
04-02-2018, 06:25 PM
Seems like the Army Corps of Engineers could build the wall.

AuH20
04-02-2018, 06:34 PM
I find that hard to believe. Ever since Bush, executive powers have grown by leaps and bounds. If there was a tangible threat of a portable nuclear device moving towards the border, the POTUS could deploy all necessary resources to prevent such entry. And a wall would fall under that purview.

nikcers
04-02-2018, 07:29 PM
I find that hard to believe. Ever since Bush, executive powers have grown by leaps and bounds. If there was a tangible threat of a portable nuclear device moving towards the border, the POTUS could deploy all necessary resources to prevent such entry. And a wall would fall under that purview.
You know I am starting to think that Trump supporters really were big Obama and Bush supporters, whenever Trump does something terrible they start talking about how Bush or Obama would of done or did the same thing.

Zippyjuan
04-02-2018, 07:45 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/mar/30/trump-border-wall-military-budget

While Trump is known for spitballing ideas – on trade policy, or healthcare, or a joint Russia-US “cybersecurity unit” – he is not known for a mastery of details. And perhaps nowhere are the details so devilish as in the federal budgeting process.

“It’s never going to happen,” said Mark Cancian, an expert in defense spending who ran the force structure and investment division of the office of management and budget (OMB) under Barack Obama. “To fund the wall out of the defense budget, Trump would still have to get the Congress to agree.”

“This is not a man who knows anything about how to actually govern,” said Gordon Adams, who served as associate director for national security and international affairs at the OMB under Bill Clinton. “You’d have to have congressional action to allow the transfer of the funds. And that would require 60 votes in the Senate and that means he’d have to have the Democrats on board.”

Trump’s argument that the border wall serves a vital national defense purpose does not change the fact that Congress would have to be involved to “reprogram” the Pentagon dollars, budget experts said.

“They would have to get both the authorization and the appropriation from Congress,” Cancian said. “They could go with what’s called a reprogramming, but then the Congress still has to approve it. No matter how you do it, you have to get both of those pieces, which is why it’s so difficult.”

“It just is really a question of congressional jurisdiction,” said Adams. “Your armed services committees are not going to open the floodgates to general transfers of money out of their jurisdiction to somebody else’s jurisdiction. The defense appropriations committees are no more enthusiastic than the authorizers about giving the executive branch the authority to just will-you nill-you throw money in one direction or another.

“Budgets don’t work that way. You can’t slop money from one purpose of the US code to another title of the US code and just assume everything will blithely walk along.”

The military and National Guard did help construct portions of the existing wall, but the funding all came from the budget for Homeland Security.

goldenequity
04-02-2018, 07:47 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/mar/30/trump-border-wall-military-budget

The entire article is an opinion piece.

ALL funding is fungible... the long HISTORY of mis-appropriation and Ways & Means committee is living proof.

nikcers
04-02-2018, 07:55 PM
The entire article is an opinion piece.

ALL funding is fungible... the long HISTORY of mis-appropriation and Ways & Means committee is living proof.
There is a longer history of taxing more to pay for something that is popular and re appropriating it for their own boondoggle and then demanding more money for the stuff that is popular. You could say that its more likely they will use the money that they did appropriate for the wall on military spending.

TheCount
04-04-2018, 03:00 PM
Seems like the Army Corps of Engineers could build the wall.
They could, but they have to get the money from somewhere.

Dannno could start a gofundme, maybe.