PDA

View Full Version : Ohio: Teen who wrote racist note must pay $128,500

literatim
12-12-2007, 07:06 AM
Teen who wrote racist note must pay $128,500
Tuesday, December 11, 2007
Damian G. Guevara
Plain Dealer Reporter

An African-American family who received a threatening, racist note on the doorstep of their Mentor home in 2004 will get a letter of apology and $128,500 from the note's teenage author, according to a federal court order.

The consent order, approved Monday by U.S. Judge Kathleen O'Malley in Cleveland, lays to rest a civil rights case against Michael McDonald and his parents by the Ohio Civil Rights Commission.

The commission had found that McDonald violated fair-housing laws and that his parents - while not involved with the crime - should be held liable for their son's action.

The order also terminates a lawsuit against the McDonalds' by the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, a civil-rights organization, said Avery Friedman, who represented the victim, Sylvia Spikes.

A lawyer for the McDonald family declined to comment Monday.

McDonald was 16 when he left a box marked with the letters "KKK" in Spikes' driveway. The box contained bananas and had racial slurs scrawled inside. Spikes had recently moved into the predominantly white neighborhood. It is not known if she still lives in the home.

Shortly after the incident, a Lake County Juvenile Court jury found McDonald guilty of racially intimidating Spikes. He served eight days in juvenile detention and was required to watch and report on movies "South Pacific" and "Roots," as well as complete community service at the local NAACP.

http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/cuyahoga/119736620192430.xml&coll=2

Ohio Civil Rights Commission (http://crc.ohio.gov/commission_members.htm)

anaconda
05-12-2008, 02:36 PM
Your Federal Government is setting up the infrastructure to dominate and control and intimidate. It appears to me the "family law" type rules are as draconian and corrupt and unconstitutional as the Federal Income Tax. Yielding the sanctity of the nuclear family to the FEDS is part of the whole FEMA/Homeland Security/Patriot Act/Court Malfeasance/No Congressional Oversight/NAFTA type game plan.

How about THIS ONE, too:

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=28d2acca-9947-44cc-8831-9859f1f6137e

torchbearer
05-12-2008, 02:45 PM
fined for speech?

pinkmandy
05-12-2008, 02:56 PM
fined for speech?

What, did you think speech was free? ;)

Give me liberty
05-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Good grief there making this as such a big deal, so what a letter?

I mean come on:rolleyes:

amy31416
05-12-2008, 03:03 PM
I'd have to see what the note said, if it was a threat of physical violence, I believe that falls outside the realm of "free speech."

Danke
05-12-2008, 03:10 PM
When I was younger, we had a saying, "Sticks and stones may break your bones, but words will never hurt me." :p

Is that not PC? Can one even post that? Will I now be banned?

Fields
05-12-2008, 03:20 PM
When I was younger, we had a saying, "Sticks and stones may break your bones, but words will never hurt me." :p

Kids are sensitive these days. Just think about the kids...

angelatc
05-12-2008, 03:53 PM

You can't argue that, because the counter argument is "You're wrong!!! Words can hurt you!"

If that were my kid, it would go all the way to the Supreme Court, and even then I'd go to prison before I paid a dime of money to the "injured" party.

On the other hand, if the black kid beat the crap out of my son for being an idiot, I'd tell my kid to suck it up. You can't walk around insulting people and expect to not pay any consequences.

Agent CSL
05-12-2008, 04:01 PM
KKK FUCK THE *******.

Ahem. I'm not racist but that's outrageous. I can understand a letter of apology and maybe even detention, but not a fine. That's the kind of thing I'd go down shooting for.

constituent
05-12-2008, 04:09 PM
KKK FUCK THE *******.

Ahem. I'm not racist but that's outrageous. I can understand a letter of apology and maybe even detention, but not a fine. That's the kind of thing I'd go down shooting for.

i would think the public humiliation would be enough. wow kid, some fifteen minutes.

Truth Warrior
05-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Oh no, a non PC "thought crime" and a written note "hate crime". Horrors! :eek:

What ARE today's kids coming to? Tsk, tsk! Oh boy, oh boy, another $128K to kill Afghans and Iraqis with.

Shades of 1984, New Speak "thought crime". :p

angelatc
05-12-2008, 04:40 PM
KKK FUCK THE *******.

I am not a racist either, but the government has no business deciding what we can and cannot say to each other.

amy31416
05-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Nobody else cares what the note actually said and whether or not there were threats of physical violence?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but threatening someone and trespassing onto someone's property for that specific reason probably does not fall under the protection of our lovely first amendment. 128k is likely over the top, but we don't know what the letter said.

I have no opinion on this until I know what the "threats" are and whether it's actually "protected" speech.

Last I checked, I can't pack a box full of matzo balls, nazi literature, a couple of swastikas, then throw a threatening letter in the the box, walk onto a Jewish person's property and expect them to have no recourse to the harassment/intimidation, whatever.

torchbearer
05-12-2008, 05:26 PM
Nobody else cares what the note actually said and whether or not there were threats of physical violence?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but threatening someone and trespassing onto someone's property for that specific reason probably does not fall under the protection of our lovely first amendment. 128k is likely over the top, but we don't know what the letter said.

I have no opinion on this until I know what the "threats" are and whether it's actually "protected" speech.

Last I checked, I can't pack a box full of matzo balls, nazi literature, a couple of swastikas, then throw a threatening letter in the the box, walk onto a Jewish person's property and expect them to have no recourse to the harassment/intimidation, whatever.

You wouldn't be fined for violence, you'd be jailed. Premeditating violence is criminal.
But i didn't see anything about a premeditation of violence was written.

Truth Warrior
05-12-2008, 06:00 PM

The "system" doesn't give a damn about a violent threat to people. They just want the moola. I assume that applies to the poor "victims" also. It's called "gaming the system". :p It often just pays off like jackpot "magic".

Your tax dollars at work!

coyote_sprit
05-12-2008, 06:07 PM

Well according to the article it was Just the words KKK and some racial slurs. That hardly justifies as a threat. Though these days offending someone is considered a threat.

amy31416
05-12-2008, 06:07 PM
The "system" doesn't give a damn about a violent threat to people. They just want the moola. I assume that applies to the poor "victims" also. It's called "gaming the system". :p It often just pays off like jackpot "magic".

Your tax dollars at work!

Maybe so, but I don't like the idea of someone doing that to me and having zero recourse. That's bullshit. Someone threatens me or tries to intimidate me out of their neighborhood because of the color of my skin? That's a bunch of crap.

And for the people on here to yell "******" when they don't even know the story is even more bullshit. What the hell? That is, in fact, racist, especially when nobody here has a single clue what the "threats" were in the letter.

You people mean to tell me that if someone was invading your privacy, right to happiness, the right to be left alone--you'd say "oh, well, they can threaten me and say whatever they want to try to intimidate me, it's their 1st amendment right." If they were harrassing you or some little old lady, it'd be a whole different story.

That kid had NO right to do what he did. And while $125k is likely too harsh for the stupid kid, he absolutely deserves to be punished and make things right somehow to the family he harrassed.

Bullshit.

Carehn
05-12-2008, 06:10 PM
reverse racism.

constituent
05-12-2008, 06:11 PM
1) You people mean to tell me that if someone was invading your privacy, right to happiness, the right to be left alone--you'd say "oh, well, they can threaten me and say whatever they want to try to intimidate me, it's their 1st amendment right." If they were harrassing you or some little old lady, it'd be a whole different story.

2) That kid had NO right to do what he did. And while $125k is likely too harsh for the stupid kid, he absolutely deserves to be punished and make things right somehow to the family he harrassed.

3) Bullshit.

1) Frankly, i would remedy the problem myself (i have little ones to think about), heaven help his parents, this parent has his own family to mind.

2) amen.

3) anymore, what isn't?

amy31416
05-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Well according to the article it was Just the words KKK and some racial slurs. That hardly justifies as a threat. Though these days offending someone is considered a threat.

An African-American family who received a threatening, racist note on the doorstep of their Mentor home in 2004 will get a letter of apology and $128,500 from the note's teenage author, according to a federal court order.

McDonald was 16 when he left a box marked with the letters "KKK" in Spikes' driveway. The box contained bananas and had racial slurs scrawled inside. Spikes had recently moved into the predominantly white neighborhood. It is not known if she still lives in the home.

The article does not say what the note said, but they refer to it as "threatening." Maybe it means "I'm going to kill you ******," or maybe it was something lesser. None of us know, but I wouldn't put a real threat past someone who'd do that in the first place.

The 1st Amendment does not and should not excuse this. He went on private property with the intent to intimidate and harrass.

I can't believe you guys would try to falsely apply 1st amendment protections to this asshole kid.

constituent
05-12-2008, 06:16 PM
i still don't get the whole bananas thing... wtf is that even supposed to mean?

amy31416
05-12-2008, 06:17 PM
i still don't get the whole bananas thing... wtf is that even supposed to mean?

It's a slur equating them to monkeys.

HOLLYWOOD
05-12-2008, 06:21 PM
Trey Parker and Matt Stone's SOUTHPARK:

Love these guys' scripts for the BS in AMERICA today... these guys have a ton of messages in their shows... here's the one that pertains to this thread:

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/151843/?tag=Token's+Dad (http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/151843/?tag=Token's+Dad)

http://www.southparkstuff.com/season_4/episode_401/ (http://www.southparkstuff.com/season_4/episode_401/)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartman's_Silly_Hate_Crime_2000

constituent
05-12-2008, 06:48 PM
It's a slur equating them to monkeys.

that's dumb. aren't we all?

yongrel
05-12-2008, 06:49 PM
That's a lot of lawns to mow.

constituent
05-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Trey Parker and Matt Stone's SOUTHPARK:

Love these guys' scripts for the BS in AMERICA today... these guys have a ton of messages in their shows... here's the one that pertains to this thread:

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/151843/?tag=Token's+Dad (http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/151843/?tag=Token's+Dad)

http://www.southparkstuff.com/season_4/episode_401/ (http://www.southparkstuff.com/season_4/episode_401/)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartman's_Silly_Hate_Crime_2000

"i commit a hundred thousand hate crimes a year"

probably the only southpark line i can recite off the top of my head.

amy31416
05-12-2008, 07:05 PM
that's dumb. aren't we all?

To varying degrees, absolutely. Some of us more than others. . .that kid, did a dumb, illegal thing. Trying to protect him via the 1st amendment is also pretty fucking dumb.

jkm1864
05-12-2008, 07:13 PM
I wonder what would happen if the shoe was on the other foot. Oh wait its not and will never be. I think its sad that I am told by the media and holywood that I am a racist every day and I am beat down. I do not care about blacks meaning I am neutral as like I am with whites I take care of my family and goto work. I wonder how spending 9 months a year on a vessel working 12 hours a day do I find the time to be a racist pig. I think its sad that whites are crucified every 15 minutes for even saying anything that can be misinterpreted but they the black community can spew racist crap every 15 seconds on the BET and its ok. I think We need a little fairness and I think its about time to shut up on racism. I swear if things do not go my way in life there is only one person to blame and thats myself I just wish every American would think that way because We wouldn't be living in this crap hole we are in now.

RSLudlum
05-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Holy Crap, they pulled A Clockwork Orange on him??

was required to watch and report on movies "South Pacific" and "Roots,"

amy31416
05-12-2008, 07:19 PM
I wonder what would happen if the shoe was on the other foot. Oh wait its not and will never be. I think its sad that I am told by the media and holywood that I am a racist every day and I am beat down. I do not care about blacks meaning I am neutral as like I am with whites I take care of my family and goto work. I wonder how spending 9 months a year on a vessel working 12 hours a day do I find the time to be a racist pig. I think its sad that whites are crucified every 15 minutes for even saying anything that can be misinterpreted but they the black community can spew racist crap every 15 seconds on the BET and its ok. I think We need a little fairness and I think its about time to shut up on racism. I swear if things do not go my way in life there is only one person to blame and thats myself I just wish every American would think that way because We wouldn't be living in this crap hole we are in now.

I think you're in the wrong "poor me" thread. This is an example of actual racism against black people, not some Jesse Jackson bullshit.

While the punishment may have been too harsh for Don Black, Jr., this case is not a good example that white people are being unfairly persecuted for "speaking non-PC truth."

Danke
05-12-2008, 07:36 PM
This is an example of actual racism against black people, not some Jesse Jackson bullshit.

...this case is not a good example that white people are being unfairly persecuted for "speaking non-PC truth."

Wait, do you know something we have not heard?

From the OP:

'McDonald was 16 when he left a box marked with the letters "KKK" in Spikes' driveway. The box contained bananas and had racial slurs scrawled inside."

O.K. The box is labeled "KKK" Why open it up? Especially if you are a racially "sensitive" person?

Racial slurs and a banana. Yep, go after the parents.

Sure bet my parents are glad in my day the cops would just bring me home to their wrath, not the State's.

amy31416
05-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Wait, do you know something we have not heard?

From the OP:

'McDonald was 16 when he left a box marked with the letters "KKK" in Spikes' driveway. The box contained bananas and had racial slurs scrawled inside."

O.K. The box is labeled "KKK" Why open it up? Especially if you are a racially "sensitive" person?

Racial slurs and a banana. Yep, go after the parents.

Sure bet my parents are glad in my day the cops would just bring me home to their wrath, not the State's.

I said that I thought that the punishment did not fit the crime, but it was actually racism. It doesn't get much more clear than this.

angelatc
05-12-2008, 07:44 PM
To varying degrees, absolutely. Some of us more than others. . .that kid, did a dumb, illegal thing. Trying to protect him via the 1st amendment is also pretty fucking dumb.

The whole problem with freedom is that sometimes people will take advantage of it. We can't have it both ways. We can't let the government decide what we can say, unless we want the government to decide what to say.

Personally, I am perfectly comfortable defending his rights while condemning his message.

I have zero interest in deciding what the "fair price" to pay is for not actually hurting anybody.

angelatc
05-12-2008, 07:46 PM
While the punishment may have been too harsh for Don Black, Jr., this case is not a good example that white people are being unfairly persecuted for "speaking non-PC truth."

I wouldn't outlaw racism either. It's thought-policing.

Danke
05-12-2008, 07:47 PM
I said that I thought that the punishment did not fit the crime, but it was actually racism. It doesn't get much more clear than this.

O.K. What punishment fits the crime?

Danke
05-12-2008, 07:49 PM
The whole problem with freedom is that sometimes people will take advantage of it. We can't have it both ways. We can't let the government decide what we can say, unless we want the government to decide what to say.

Personally, I am perfectly comfortable defending his rights while condemning his message.

I have zero interest in deciding what the "fair price" to pay is for not actually hurting anybody.

Well said.

amy31416
05-12-2008, 07:51 PM

He gave up his rights when he committed the crimes of trespassing, harrassment and intimidating people on their own private property.

He lost his 1st amendment rights when he encroached upon the rights of others.

THIS IS NOT A FREE SPEECH ISSUE. YOU GUYS ARE DEFENDING A CRIMINALLY MINDED IDIOT WHO HAS NO RESPECT FOR THE RIGHTS OF OTHERS. WHAT. THE. FUCK???

yongrel
05-12-2008, 07:52 PM
THIS IS NOT A FREE SPEECH ISSUE. YOU GUYS ARE DEFENDING A CRIMINALLY MINDED IDIOT WHO HAS NO RESPECT FOR THE RIGHTS OF OTHERS. WHAT. THE. FUCK???

Welcome to RPF. You must be new.

amy31416
05-12-2008, 07:52 PM
I wouldn't outlaw racism either. It's thought-policing.

I never said anything about outlawing racism. I said that this punk-ass kid violated the rights of other people because of his racism.

Jesus.

amy31416
05-12-2008, 07:54 PM
O.K. What punishment fits the crime?

That is not for me to determine, it is for the local community. And they decided it, for better or for worse.

amy31416
05-12-2008, 07:56 PM
Welcome to RPF. You must be new.

Shit. I guess I'm just an eternal optimist--therefore the disappointment never ends.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
05-13-2008, 01:00 AM
http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/cuyahoga/119736620192430.xml&coll=2

Ohio Civil Rights Commission (http://crc.ohio.gov/commission_members.htm)

All people of every race, creed, color, sex, religion should be shot for using the N word.
I've often warned my sons to be careful not to use the N word in convenience stores especially if the clerk happens to be black. Black convenience store clerks probably fear hearing the N word more than anything else.
When getting a black persons attention, I've instructed my sons to call them African Americans. Of course, one must be very careful when getting a black person's attention because they are incredibly sensitive people. In fact, at the earliest perception that a black person is getting angry at being referred to as an "African American, I usually resort to the old way of getting their attention by yelling "Hey you!"
While a white person could theoretically kill a black convenience store clerk by their thoughtless use of the N word in their presence, what about the thoughtless white people who use the N word while driving down the freeway? It is N word this and N word that! Is it no wonder that car loads of black people veer off the road when these insensitive white people drive by them using the N word?
Similarly, how many black families have been riddled in their homes as joyful white people drove by the front of the house while singing the N word to hip hop?
In conclusion, there simply cannot be any more rotten apples to spoil this barrel with racism and prejudice. The only way we will ever perfect our society is to shoot any person who uses the N word. Of course, after shooting these people, their heads should be cut off like the communist did in Vietnam so that they can be impaled on sticks as a warning for all. It is only then that people will learn to choose the correct path towards true happiness without the N word.

Kludge
05-13-2008, 01:08 AM
lmao.... Sometimes I don't know what to make of you, UEW.

Mini-Me
05-13-2008, 01:31 AM
Yuck...
Trespassing and harrassment are indeed crimes - but $128k? WTF? As yongrel said, that's a lot of lawns to mow. The kid deserves an ass-beating from any kids in the family he harrassed. He deserves eternal grounding from his parents, as well as some community service for trespassing and harrassment...but $128k? That's enough of a fine to feasibly ruin this kid's whole life for committing a few misdemeanors. Of course, that will REALLY make him think better of black people and change his racist ways, won't it? :rolleyes: Similarly, the victims here deserve an apology, and they deserve to be left alone without being harrassed, but $128k? What the hell kind of suffering did they go through that warrants that much damn money?!? Sheesh!

That is not for me to determine, it is for the local community. And they decided it, for better or for worse.

Actually, Amy - this is NOT a local matter. The article mentions a federal court order and "US Judge" Kathleen O'Malley. If this was a local matter, it would be a situation where the locality had a right to decide as it did, although I'd still consider it a ridiculous ruling. However, this was federal...why the hell was it federal?

Truth Warrior
05-13-2008, 03:58 AM
Hey I know, let's just get Congress to pass a new Federal law mandating and requiring that everyone always has to be "nice" ( to be defined on the fly ) to everyone. They could even make violations an automatic capital offense. ( Necessary to prevent prison overcrowding. ) :rolleyes:

Problem solved ..... eventually. :D

tod evans
05-13-2008, 04:38 AM
geeze! i just read this whole thread.......and i find it very scarry how you kids have been influenced by the poltically correct machine that ya`ll rag on so hard for ignoring ron paul.
yup the exact same "group-think" type of brainwashing that most here pretend to be appalled at is prevalent in the comments in this thread......
first how in the world could a 16y/o kid be brought up on federal charges let alone hold his parents responsible?
even in capital cases it takes petitioning the court to try a juvenile as an adult and even then holding the kids parents accountable when they weren`t complicit in the kids actions is a stretch of any laws i`m aware of.
from here it looks to be more aclu grandstanding....:mad:

amy31416
05-13-2008, 07:44 AM
Actually, Amy - this is NOT a local matter. The article mentions a federal court order and "US Judge" Kathleen O'Malley. If this was a local matter, it would be a situation where the locality had a right to decide as it did, although I'd still consider it a ridiculous ruling. However, this was federal...why the hell was it federal?

Like I said, I don't think the punishment necessarily fit the crime. I also can't answer why there was any federal involvement.

My main argument was about people not only defending the moron who did something vicious, hateful and illegal to someone, but actually calling the family that won the suit "*******."

I agree, obviously, that it should have been handled on a local level, given the limited information I have.

Truth Warrior
05-13-2008, 07:46 AM
Shit. I guess I'm just an eternal optimist--therefore the disappointment never ends.
Then just look at it optimistically. :p

amy31416
05-13-2008, 07:55 AM
Hey I know, let's just get Congress to pass a new Federal law mandating and requiring that everyone always has to be "nice" ( to be defined on the fly ) to everyone. They could even make violations an automatic capital offense. ( Necessary to prevent prison overcrowding. ) :rolleyes:

Problem solved ..... eventually. :D

OMFG, drama queens, the whole lot of you.

1. The racist kid broke a law (maybe more than one) and harrasses and intimidated his neighbor.

2. According to many here, he should be allowed to do so because it violates his right to free speech if he can't call his neighbor names and leave presents of bananas and KKK propaganda along with a threatening note on the black family's property.

3. The fact that the black family won this case and got a stupid and likely too large settlement, means that a federal law is going to be passed that forces everyone to be PC and promote "thought policing."

:rolleyes:

Truth Warrior
05-13-2008, 08:03 AM
IT WAS A JOKE!
1. The racist kid broke a law (maybe more than one) and harrasses and intimidated his neighbor.
IT WAS A JOKE LAW!
2. According to many here, he should be allowed to do so because it violates his right to free speech if he can't call his neighbor names and leave presents of bananas and KKK propaganda along with a threatening note on the black family's property.
"Big Brother" called, You're hired.
3. The fact that the black family won this case and got a stupid and likely too large settlement, means that a federal law is going to be passed that forces everyone to be PC and promote "thought policing."
Would you be just as outraged, if the racist kid was black and the family was white? I kinda seriously doubt it.
:p

amy31416
05-13-2008, 08:06 AM
:p

Ahh, I don't normally equate a sense of humor with you. My apologies.

But yes, I would be just as pissed off if someone were intimidating a white person and trying to run them off their property--see my previous posts. The one difference being that "cracker" certainly doesn't have the effect of "******."

Truth Warrior
05-13-2008, 08:20 AM
Ahh, I don't normally equate a sense of humor with you. My apologies.
Yeah, you've missed a lot. :D Apology accepted. :)
But yes, I would be just as pissed off if someone were intimidating a white person and trying to run them off their property--see my previous posts. The one difference being that "cracker" certainly doesn't have the effect of "******."
For the moment, how about just forgetting the bogus "collectivist" racial divisions? Stupid people intimidating, harassing, threatening people happens EVERYDAY in this country, and may often cross the line into criminal behavior. That's covered under previous longstanding law. Why, on earth, does this incident even remotely qualify as NEWS? It's just the $$$$$$$
Talk about a "drama queen". SHEESH! :rolleyes:

amy31416
05-13-2008, 08:25 AM
Talk about a "drama queen". SHEESH! :rolleyes:

Nothing I said is "dramatic."

Truth Warrior
05-13-2008, 08:27 AM
Nothing I said is "dramatic."
She said optimistically. :D

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
05-13-2008, 08:33 AM

The kid cannot be branded a racist because he is still a minor. And who knows? Perhaps this child will straighten out when he grows up even to the point that he loves black people so much that he will sponsor yearly paid vacations for lucky African American families to visit Disney Land?

Some of us aren't born with a Candian butt in regards to racial harmony. We need to get our butts out to experience life until we have an epiphany. I had my epiphany at the age of 42 when I accidently bumped up against a black person. Of course, the experience cured a hidious bladder infection.

Money is just money whether its Monopoly, Federal or conterfeit. So, don't worry about being responsible but rather look at the benefits that the 128 grand will do for the African American community? Rarely do healthy families exist any more in the United States much less black families. So, not only will that 128 thousand help keep this black family together with a black father like Bill Cosby but it will go towards helping raise healthy black children likewise who act like white kids.

amy31416
05-13-2008, 08:40 AM
The kid cannot be branded a racist because he is still a minor. And who knows? Perhaps this child will straighten out when he grows up even to the point that he loves black people so much that he will sponsor yearly paid vacations for lucky African American families to visit Disney Land?

Some of us aren't born with a Candian butt in regards to racial harmony. We need to get our butts out to experience life until we have an epiphany. I had my epiphany at the age of 42 when I accidently bumped up against a black person. Of course, the experience cured a hidious bladder infection.

Money is just money whether its Monopoly, Federal or conterfeit. So, don't worry about being responsible but rather look at the benefits that the 128 grand will do for the African American community? Rarely do healthy families exist any more in the United States much less black families. So, not only will that 128 thousand help keep this black family together with a black father like Bill Cosby but it will go towards helping raise healthy black children likewise who act like white kids.

You have left me speechless Uncle, I'm sure TW will thank you for that. . .

Truth Warrior
05-13-2008, 08:46 AM
You have left me speechless Uncle, I'm sure TW will thank you for that. . . Wouldn't "speechless" be, no post? :D

amy31416
05-13-2008, 08:49 AM
Wouldn't "speechless" be, no post? :D

Kudos on picking up on lame irony. You get a cookie.

Truth Warrior
05-13-2008, 08:51 AM
Kudos on picking up on lame irony. You get a cookie. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! Yum! :D

LibertyOfOne
05-13-2008, 09:07 AM
Maybe so, but I don't like the idea of someone doing that to me and having zero recourse. That's bullshit. Someone threatens me or tries to intimidate me out of their neighborhood because of the color of my skin? That's a bunch of crap.

And for the people on here to yell "******" when they don't even know the story is even more bullshit. What the hell? That is, in fact, racist, especially when nobody here has a single clue what the "threats" were in the letter.

You people mean to tell me that if someone was invading your privacy, right to happiness, the right to be left alone--you'd say "oh, well, they can threaten me and say whatever they want to try to intimidate me, it's their 1st amendment right." If they were harrassing you or some little old lady, it'd be a whole different story.

That kid had NO right to do what he did. And while $125k is likely too harsh for the stupid kid, he absolutely deserves to be punished and make things right somehow to the family he harrassed.

Bullshit.

By forcing the parents to lose their home? You do know that no kid can pay such an outrageous debt. It will end up with the parents unable to pay. Then the city puts a lean on the house. So in order to clear up their credit they will be forced to sell. Then most of the money from the house will go to the debt.

amy31416
05-13-2008, 09:12 AM
By forcing the parents to lose their home? You do know that no kid can pay such an outrageous debt. It will end up with the parents unable to pay. Then the city puts a lean on the house. So in order to clear up their credit they will be forced to sell. Then most of the money from the house will go to the debt.

I never attempted to defend the likely over-the-top punishment doled out in this case. I think, given what little I know, that it's ridiculous.

LibertyOfOne
05-13-2008, 09:13 AM
I never attempted to defend the likely over-the-top punishment doled out in this case. I think, given what little I know, that it's ridiculous.]

Fair enough.

IRO-bot
05-13-2008, 09:35 AM
UEW confuses me severely.

yongrel
05-13-2008, 10:51 AM

:eek:

torchbearer
05-13-2008, 01:59 PM

LMFAO!

Mini-Me
05-13-2008, 09:35 PM

Yeah, that federal judge was definitely smoking the crack. If decisions like this become a precedent, imagine the consequences:
1.) Families start regularly losing their homes because their teenage kid committed a mean and stupid misdemeanor
2.) Others start playing the "hate crime lottery game" and praying every night someone commits a "hate crime" against them

voytechs
05-13-2008, 09:40 PM
And the government says the inflation is low. Everything is going up including frivolous government penalties.

amy31416
05-13-2008, 09:52 PM
And the government says the inflation is low. Everything is going up including frivolous government penalties.

Not true, that lady who spilled hot coffee on herself got almost 3 million from McDonald's and that was in the early 90's.