PDA

View Full Version : Gun restrictions legislation expected to advance in Vermont

Swordsmyth
03-26-2018, 07:20 PM
Legislation that would make it easier to take guns from suicidal people and perpetrators of domestic violence could receive final approval from the Vermont Legislature this week and Gov. Phil Scott supports the proposals, officials said Monday.Democratic Sen. Richard Sears, the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, said Monday he felt the separate pieces of legislation could reach Scott's desk by the end of the week. House Judiciary Chairman Maxine Grad, also a Democrat, said she expected the legislation would pass, but she didn't know if the bills could reach the governor's desk so quickly.
Vermont lawmakers appear to be on the verge of passing the most significant changes to the state's gun laws in years.
"It is a big deal," said Grad, who has been working with Sears so the two committees can iron out the differences between the different pieces of legislation.
"I think the bills that we have been passing really create a balance in terms of maximizing public safety and preventing gun deaths and gun violence while supporting and maintaining Vermont traditions," she said.
Grad and Sears made the comments a day before the Vermont House of Representatives is expected to give final approval to a separate piece of legislation that would raise the legal age for gun purchases, expand background checks and ban high-capacity magazines and rapid-fire devices known as "bump stocks." The legislation, which was given preliminary approval on Friday, will need to be reconciled with a Senate version passed earlier this month before it could become law.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/gun-restrictions-expected-advance-vermont-165305874.html

aGameOfThrones
03-26-2018, 10:09 PM
Nobody is talking about banning your second amendment, just high cap mags, bump stocks and other stuff that looks scary.

oyarde
03-26-2018, 10:39 PM
Personally , I need high capacity magazines so I will continue with them . Hopefully Vermont still has muskets .

Swordsmyth
03-28-2018, 09:09 PM
The Vermont House gave final approval to a package of gun ownership restrictions Tuesday night while opponents clad in orange hunting vests packed the Statehouse.
Lawmakers voted 89-54 to pass legislation that would raise the legal age for gun purchases, expand background checks for private gun sales and ban high-capacity magazines and rapid-fire devices known as bump stocks. The vote fell primarily along party lines.
Gun control opponents argued that the measure was unconstitutional and would do nothing to protect schoolchildren.
The demonstration came three days after an estimated 2,500 students and supporters held a rally outside the Statehouse in support of gun safety measures.

Speaking at a Statehouse news conference, Republican Gov. Phil Scott said he understood that he has disappointed many of his supporters with his stance backing some form of gun restrictions but realized he had an obligation to do something after a teenager was arrested last month for plotting to shoot up the Fair Haven Union High School.
"It's a tremendous responsibility as governor to make sure that you protect the citizens of the state so this isn't an easy decision for me to make, but I have to look at it broadly and ask myself, do some soul searching and ask myself ... are we doing everything we can to protect our kids, and the answer for me at that point in time was no," Scott said.
The opponents were not swayed. They argued the proposals were unconstitutional and would not accomplish the goal of school safety.
One of the opponents, Hardwick police Chief Aaron Cochran, went to the Statehouse on Tuesday in uniform, representing the group Vermont Law Enforcement Against Gun Control.
"Our focus as law enforcement is on school safety," Cochran said. "And unfortunately a lot of effort has been taken away from school safety and gone into this gun control debate."
The measure, which was given preliminary approval on Friday, now has to be reconciled with a version of it that was first passed by the Senate.
Separately, Vermont lawmakers this week are expected to give final approval to legislation that would make it easier to take guns from suicidal people and perpetrators of domestic violence.

More at: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/article206962634.html#storylink=rss

Michael Landon
03-29-2018, 09:20 AM
Nobody is talking about banning your second amendment, just high cap mags, bump stocks and other stuff that looks scary.

Nobody is talking about banning your first amendment, just vulgarity, sexist remarks and other perceived offensive comments that sound scary.

First the 2nd gets thrown out and then the others will be next.

- ML

aGameOfThrones
03-29-2018, 12:49 PM
Nobody is talking about banning your first amendment, just vulgarity, sexist remarks and other perceived offensive comments that sound scary.

First the 2nd gets thrown out and then the others will be next.

- ML

It's called HATE Speech, and if you say it... you're racist.

I always fine it funny how anti 2nd amend people say, "it meant something different when it was written than now", I always say, it means the same then and now just like the rest.