goldenequity
03-25-2018, 02:27 PM
Tucker Carlson's awkward interview with John Bolton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MflnQDh_qmI

undergroundrr
03-25-2018, 02:42 PM

What a deluded, arrogant and demented organism Bolton is. The regime change in Iraq was a resounding success. We just didn't install an adequate replacement regime afterward. Not one human life means anything to him.

I have nothing but absolute contempt for anybody who would choose this "man" as an advisor on dishwashing liquid brands, let alone offensive military policy.

Raginfridus
03-25-2018, 02:48 PM
What a deluded, arrogant and demented organism Bolton is. The regime change in Iraq was a resounding success. We just didn't install an adequate replacement regime afterward. Not one human life means anything to him.

I have nothing but absolute contempt for anybody who would choose this "man" as an advisor on dishwashing liquid brands, let alone offensive military policy.I guarantee you behind locked doors he and his ilk blame the military. Not just the brass, either.

Shit, they blame the neighbor's dog.

Tucker did well enough. First 2 minutes he lets Bolton entrench on the "terror sponsors in general", "guns for Gaza", "not a threat to us specifically", then Bolton needs to side step coming out for Israel, because he doesn't know if Tucker will take him to task for his reckless Zionazism.

Anti Globalist
03-25-2018, 03:11 PM
Fuck John Bolton. With a rake.

goldenequity
03-25-2018, 03:22 PM
Just musing here... at an arms length...
this interview was 'interesting' 2 me.

There is no doubt Carlson has complete disdain for him as we do.
He pushed him into several corners and certainly got him to go on the defensive.
but
he didn't come out swinging... there was really no 'heat' in the dialog.
Why?

Well... again just my musing... but I'll say it:
Bolton is trying to 'distance' himself from his 'image', his history.
I mean c'mon... if you're a rabid warhawk (present tense)
you'd get ANGRY at the insinuations...
you'd ACCUSE your opponent of being an 'Iran lover', muzzie love'n communist...
we've seen it.

so...
I'm asking why the 'muted' response?
Why is he seeming to be a war hawk w/ a broken wing?

Raginfridus
03-25-2018, 03:25 PM
No, he's just aware this isn't Bill O'Really in 2002.

goldenequity
03-25-2018, 03:44 PM
No, he's just aware this isn't Bill O'Really in 2002.

yes. yes and yes.

so...
I'll take it further... (speculating).

There's knee jerk 'talk' of Trump setting up a 'war cabinet'... cuz Bolton.
I think that's '2002 thinking'.
I think it's wrong.

I (personally) don't trust Bolton. Trump does.
Why?

ans. Trump (in his mind) isn't appointing 'Bolton the Warhawk'...
he's appointing 'Bolton the Nationalist' to do 'house cleaning'.

I can easily 'defeat' that and accuse Bolton as a UK/Saudi minion. (He chairs a UK think tank funded by Saudis)

I hardly trust ANYONE at this point.
Just wanted to throw out some food 4 thot.

Raginfridus
03-25-2018, 03:53 PM
yes. yes and yes.

so...
I'll take it further... (speculating).

There's knee jerk 'talk' of Trump setting up a 'war cabinet'... cuz Bolton.
I think that's '2002 thinking'.
I think it's wrong.

I (personally) don't trust Bolton. Trump does.
Why?

ans. Trump (in his mind) isn't appointing 'Bolton the Warhawk'...
he's appointing 'Bolton the Nationalist' to do 'house cleaning'.

I can easily 'defeat' that and accuse Bolton as a UK/Saudi minion. (He chairs a UK think tank funded by Saudis)

I hardly trust ANYONE at this point.
Just wanted to throw out some food 4 thot.As far as speculating what Trump thinks, I don't know. Honestly, I think Trump's over his head, wants a ruling cabinet he can let go, while he focuses on Trump.

timosman
03-25-2018, 03:57 PM
There is good news and bad news about Bolton. The good news about Bolton is he is a staunch anti-globalist. The bad news is, that’s all the good news there is.

ILUVRP
03-25-2018, 03:59 PM
trump loves bobble heads , if not you are out .

Swordsmyth
03-25-2018, 04:00 PM
There is good news and bad news about Bolton. The good news about Bolton is he is a staunch anti-globalist. The bad news is, that’s all the good news there is.
The best thing that might come from Bolton is the US leaving the UN, hopefully that will happen and then Trump will fire him.

I'm not going to hold my breath waiting.

goldenequity
03-25-2018, 04:03 PM
not a 'challenge' as it aligns with my musings...
Can you 'prove' it/links/articles?

I know he's totally anti-UN.... has a long record of that.
Is that 'the same thing' as anti-globalist? (I don't think so....)

I consider him an 'Atlanticist' which 2 me is a UK/US hegemon and a globalist.

but... maybe he's trying to walk that back... another '2002' remnant? aka: 'How did I get here?'

If so.... I'd like some 'proof'.

So... give me UR concept? I'm fuzzy.. :)

Raginfridus
03-25-2018, 04:12 PM
Bolton is a globalist.

goldenequity
03-25-2018, 04:14 PM
Bolton is a globalist.

hahaha... ur no fun.

RJB
03-25-2018, 04:35 PM
The end was awesome. Tucker disagreed with Bolton. Bolton smugly replied "It's your long experience in foreign policy." Tucker replied, "Better than yours."

Raginfridus
03-25-2018, 09:01 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/l0ExdANi3pXqJs0NO/giphy.gif

Superfluous Man
03-25-2018, 09:11 PM
The good news about Bolton is he is a staunch anti-globalist.

He clearly isn't a staunch anti-globalist.

Brian4Liberty
03-25-2018, 09:16 PM
What a deluded, arrogant and demented organism Bolton is. The regime change in Iraq was a resounding success.

In fairness to Bolton, he said that eliminating Saddam was "a resounding success". Kind of like how Hillary bragged about terminating Gaddafi. Worried about what happens after that? "What difference does it make?"

timosman
03-25-2018, 09:16 PM
https://www.ft.com/content/9ba83ab2-2e34-11e8-9b4b-bc4b9f08f381

Second, Mr Bolton has no patience for US democracy promotion, which gels with Mr Trump’s worldview. Contrary to popular opinion, Mr Bolton is not a neoconservative. Neocons believe US values should be universal. Mr Bolton believes in aggressive promotion of the US national interest, which is quite different. In a Lunch with the FT interview more than a decade ago, he argued that the Iraq war, which he strenuously supported, had been distorted by the neocon democracy agenda. “What we should have done is said to the Iraqis: ‘You’re on your own. Here’s a copy of the Federalist Papers. Good luck’,” he said,referring to philosophical treatises that inspired the US constitution. Mr Bolton was arguing for “America first” policies long before Mr Trump ran for office.

Finally, Mr Bolton’s appointment nearly completes Mr Trump’s managerial revolution — a White House with no recognisable managerial principles. Mr McMaster tried to operate as an honest broker to co-ordinate policy across the inter-agency process. He was not often successful but he tried. Mr Bolton dislikes the very notion of consensus building. Again, this chimes with Mr Trump’s approach. That could spell doom for John Kelly, Mr Trump’s chief of staff. Mr Bannon told the FT Future of News conference on Thursday that he thinks the US president would prefer to do away with the role altogether. Either way, we are entering the phase of Trump unbound. Ronald Reagan once said “you ain’t seen nothing yet”. The same is true of Mr Trump. He is now surrounded by nationalists who believe in America first. Contrarian voices are disappearing. Pax Americana is growing weaker by the day.

Brian4Liberty
03-25-2018, 09:21 PM

but... maybe he's trying to walk that back... another '2002' remnant? aka: 'How did I get here?'

I think you got it about right. He's anti-UN because he's a globalist in terms of unilateral US policing and domination of the world, and killing anyone that Bibi tells him to.

AuH20
03-25-2018, 09:26 PM
Tucker is not going to last long on Fox News at this rate. He already singlehandedly forced Peters to quit. Now he tore up Bolton in a dignified fashion.

Swordsmyth
03-25-2018, 09:31 PM

Bolton is a globalist.

He clearly isn't a staunch anti-globalist.

I think you got it about right. He's anti-UN because he's a globalist in terms of unilateral US policing and domination of the world, and killing anyone that Bibi tells him to.

I'd call him an Imperialist rather than a globalist.

AuH20
03-25-2018, 09:32 PM
This is why he doesn't like the UN. LOL They want to sever the ties that Syria and Iran are dependent upon.

http://www.aei.org/publication/lets-get-real-its-time-to-move-on-from-the-putin-dominated-un/

goldenequity
03-25-2018, 09:35 PM

Ah..HAA...
just as I thought... he's being 're-branded' right before yur very eyes.

http://media.riffsy.com/images/a3ef12891434d1a97d124c7faf633904/tenor.gif

Good find though Timo... + rep...
it 'explains' alot.

Raginfridus
03-25-2018, 09:50 PM
I'd call him an Imperialist rather than a globalist.Why? Is one preferrable to the other? What part of his Trotskyist's wet dream crusade to light a fire across the globe and stake the damages for us taxpayers is going to set him apart from the others? Any escalation, any maintenance of our retardo united bases of america is going to damage America.

Swordsmyth
03-25-2018, 09:58 PM
Why? Is one preferrable to the other? What part of his Trotskyist's wet dream crusade to light a fire across the globe and stake the damages for us taxpayers is going to set him apart from the others? Any escalation, any maintenance of our retardo united bases of america is going to damage America.

It's just a matter of accuracy, both are detestable.

As I said above, Bolton might result in the US leaving the UN but there are ways that a naked Imperialist is worse than a Globalist so neither one is better than the other.

Raginfridus
03-25-2018, 10:06 PM
Bolton et al do not posess the Imperial Mindset, but whatever. We'll call him Imperialist, because Trump hates Globalists.

timosman
03-25-2018, 10:18 PM
https://www.ft.com/content/7a2140c6-7b7c-11dc-8c53-0000779fd2ac

Edward Luce OCTOBER 19, 2007

http://com.ft.imagepublish.prod.s3.amazonaws.com/71d08dd6-7c63-11dc-be7e-0000779fd2ac

I am no believer in providence. But having booked lunch with John Bolton – perhaps the most hardline (now former) member of the Bush administration – I arrive to find Donald Rumsfeld seated at the next table, and have the fleeting thought that I might possess my own newspaper-reading guardian angel.

Since I have arrived first I now have the advantage of watching Bolton, whose shock-white handlebar moustache gives him an unmistakeable Asterix-like appearance, cross the floor towards me. I wait to see what happens when he chances upon the former Secretary of Defense.

A brief moment of camaraderie ensues in which the former US ambassador to the United Nations takes out the cover of his forthcoming book about his time there – Surrender Is Not an Option – and shows it to Mr Rumsfeld. The latter clearly approves and they both laugh heartily. Then Bolton moves on to my table.

We are meeting at the lobby restaurant of the Mayflower Hotel – one of Washington’s most upholstered establishments. It is just a block away from Bolton’s office at the American Enterprise Institute, the conservative think-tank he joined last January. He had been left with little choice but to resign from his job at the UN, Congress having refused to confirm his appointment. Bolton says that he eats here often.

“In fact I introduced Rumsfeld to this place,” he says. “We had lunch here shortly after we both left the government [Rumsfeld was ejected in November]. We were sitting right here at this very table. Maybe it’s my libertarian philosophy: but being in government is hard. So we were both feeling liberated.”

We order immediately – Bolton goes for the club sandwich with freedom – oops – French fries and a glass of iced tea. I order a salade Nicoise and a cranberry juice. Clearly this isn’t going to be one of those fancy meals. Bolton makes a point of telling me that he prefers plain food – although the Mayflower has plenty of continental dishes on its menu. “I like this place because if you want something simple, then you have that option,” he says.

Ordering over, it’s my turn to scrutinise Bolton’s book cover. I ask where the title came from. He tells me it was prompted by his memories of being a 15-year-old volunteer for Barry Goldwater’s 1964 presidential bid. The hardline Republican was trounced by Lyndon Johnson.

Goldwater’s reputation has been rehabilitated in recent years, and he is now portrayed by conservatives as a kind of John the Baptist to Ronald Reagan’s Jesus. At the time he was criticised harshly by moderate Republicans. But to John Bolton, who came from a blue-collar background (his father was a fireman in Baltimore), Goldwater’s uncompromising conservatism made him an instant and lifelong hero: “It was just outrageous that a man like Goldwater could be trashed the way that he was,” he says. “One thing was clear – surrender was not an option, and the book editors said that would be a great title.”

Feeling mildly intimidated, not least by Bolton’s warlike moustache, I venture an ill-timed joke: “Well of course, everyone will instantly think of that phrase ‘Cheese-eating surrender monkeys’,” I say, referring to the memorable line coined for the French after they had voted against the Iraq war at the UN. Bolton looks at me suspiciously. An awkward moment of silence follows.

I break it with a question, asking him to explain what made him a “Goldwater conservative” – Bolton’s preferred tag – as opposed to a neoconservative, such as Paul Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld’s former deputy who nowadays sits along the corridor from Bolton at the AEI. Bolton warms instantly to the theme. One of the key differences, he says, is that most neoconservatives used to be left-wing. As a Goldwater teen, Bolton had clearly avoided that provenance (interestingly, Hillary Clinton started off as a “Goldwater girl” in 1964). Bolton is also keen to point out that he is a follower of Edmund Burke, the late 18th-century Anglo-Irish politician and philosopher, whose empirical conservatism would rule out most of the neocons’ utopian agenda.

“We used to joke that neoconservatives were liberals who’d been mugged by reality,” Bolton replied. “I have always been a conservative. The idea of big-government conservatism has more neocon adherents than from unmodified conservatives.”

Our food arrives and Bolton periodically drenches his fries in tomato ketchup as he eats. I try to counteract the lingering sense that I have shown myself up as too European for Bolton’s taste by tackling my salad with aggressive jabs. We carry on with the neocon versus Goldwater conservative discussion as we eat. I suggest that on Iraq, or indeed the nuclear ambitions of Iran, the views of both groups happily coincide.

Through a mouthful of fries, Bolton only half-agrees. He concedes that their views coincided on the need to remove Saddam Hussein – Bolton felt it was in America’s interest to eliminate a potential threat. But he parted ways with the neoconservatives on the objectives of the subsequent occupation. “I am all in favour of democracy in Iraq,” he says. “I don’t know what else I would say. But our national interest today is to stop any part of Iraq from becoming a base for terrorism and if that is accomplished with a less than Jeffersonian type of democracy, then that’s OK with me.”

Mistakes were made, he concedes – only not the ones most people would identify. “In terms of Iraq’s governance I would have put the Iraqis in charge as soon as possible,” he says. “I’ll exaggerate for effect but what we should have done is said to the Iraqis: ‘You’re on your own. Here’s a copy of the Federalist papers. Good luck.’”

And what of the Bush administration’s idea of spreading democracy, I ask. Is that now discredited? “You can’t discredit something that was wrong from the start,” he replies with evident feeling. “Their [the neocons’] ultimate conclusion is that if all the world were filled with democracies, there would be no war. But that is contrary to the entire human spirit.

“I’m not sure history has ended. Russia has passed through democracy and come out the other side. You could make the same case about the European institutions, which don’t seem to be accountable to anybody except their foreign ministries.”

The waiter asks what we would like next. Bolton asks for a coffee – “just a coffee” – while I request a double espresso with separate hot milk. Bolton gives me another of his flinty looks. Feeling the need to explain, I say: “Ordinarily I’d order a large macchiato, but sometimes they don’t know what that is.” I realise at once that I am only digging myself deeper. “I wouldn’t know,” says Bolton after a pause. “I just get coffee.”

The pause continues. To get things going again, I raise what is perhaps Bolton’s favourite topic – the State Department, his home through several Republican administrations but which he continues openly to disdain. Much like the British description of diplomats having “gone native”, American diplomats are often accused of succumbing to “clientilism”. Is that still his view? Bolton springs back to life.

“Yes,” he says, “but even the word ‘clientilism’ shows how little the State Department understands the problem: surely your client is the US? In fact what they mean by clientilism is that if you’re the French desk officer, then you become too pro-France.” Bolton is more than happy to continue in this vein. Meanwhile I try to slurp my double espresso as noisily as possible.

As I do so Bolton relates a story, “possibly apocryphal”, about George Shultz, Ronald Reagan’s secretary of state, who would point to a large globe and ask newly appointed American ambassadors to find their country. Invariably they would point to where they were going. “No,” said Shultz, spinning it back to America, “that is your country.”

Bolton continues: “The foreign service ought to be advocates for American interests, not apologists. This problem is not unique to the US but neither is it necessarily the rule everywhere else.” So which foreign services do serve their national interests? I ask. “The Russians,” he says. Then he pauses for a while before adding, “And the French.” Formidable, I think. “And the Indians and especially the Pakistanis.”

I ask whether nakedly pursuing one’s national interest might be counter-productive, particularly in the post-9/11 world. Surely alienating people around the world might also undermine America’s interest? Bolton dislikes the premise of my question. “Every country has an aspect to it that rubs up people the wrong way,” he says. “I quote in my book a great rhyme from world war two: ‘In Washington Lord Halifax whispered to Lord Keynes, it’s true they have the moneybags but we have all the brains.’”

Look what happened to the British, I reply. Such hubris didn’t serve them very well. “Name a country that hasn’t had hubris at one point or another,” Bolton responds. “Sweden had an empire as did Lithuania…” But sometimes, I interrupt, foreigners detect a providential quality to American motives that it might be better to downplay – that God has a hand in the US’s destiny.

“Well,” he replies and pauses before continuing. “There are Americans who believe that. My favourite story is of Thomas Jefferson and John Adams who were bitter enemies during their presidencies, but who become friends at the end. They both died on the 50th anniversary of the declaration of independence – 4th July, 1826. Now try to put that in its historical context.”

It was a revealing example – and also interesting and provocative, as is Bolton’s wont. By this stage I sense that his suspicion of me has mildly dissipated. As we wait for the bill, we finally get round to the subject of Iran. Bolton finishes with a flourish, confidently predicting that George W. Bush will launch a military strike on Iran’s nuclear facilities before leaving office.

He can’t resist one last European dig. “Four years of European diplomacy have given the Iranians the one asset they could not have purchased – and that was time,” he says, wagging his finger. “And now, irony of ironies, after fiddling around with all this futile diplomacy, we finally have a French president who sounds just like we do on Iran.” C’est la guerre, I think. A sobering conclusion to a sober Anglo-Saxon meal.

Edward Luce is the FT’s Washington bureau chief

Mayflower Hotel, Washington DC
1 x club sandwich
1 x French fries
1 x salade Nicoise
1 x iced tea
1 x cranberry juice
1 x regular coffee
1 x double espresso
Total: $57.54

Raginfridus
03-25-2018, 10:34 PM
Maybe it’s my libertarian philosophy: but being in government is hard. So we were both feeling liberated.

https://media.tenor.com/images/2f0494d600c688cee7bbac4792395e28/tenor.gif

undergroundrr
03-25-2018, 10:53 PM

Yes, trump is a libertarian; Bolton is a libertarian; Steve Bannon; Paul Ryan; pretty much every Republican is libertarian.

timosman
03-25-2018, 10:54 PM

Compared to the private sector. The government gig is to position you well for the next opportunity. ;)

goldenequity
03-25-2018, 11:17 PM
I want to know whether he ate the fries with his fingers. :cool:

timosman
03-25-2018, 11:21 PM
I want to know whether he ate the fries with his fingers. :cool:

Obviously. He's a hillbilly according to the interviewer.

Raginfridus
03-25-2018, 11:28 PM
Obviously. He's a hillbilly according to the interviewer.Capital Hillbilly

brushfire
03-25-2018, 11:35 PM
Didn't Iran already blow up Israel? Didn't the IAEA report say that Iran was only months away from developing a nuke, back in 2011. Imminent threat is imminent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW9-RRRD14I

goldenequity
03-26-2018, 08:29 AM

Superfluous Man
03-26-2018, 08:42 AM
I'd call him an Imperialist rather than a globalist.

I can go with imperialist. But imperialism is a form of globalism, and a particularly bad kind.

What matters is not just globalist versus nationalist (a nationalist is usually as bad as a globalist after all). The kind of globalism also matters. Ron Paul is a globalist. But the good kind, which is based on nonintervention, rather than intervention.

nikcers
03-26-2018, 09:07 AM

This was a bad debate. News anchor vs news anchor, Tucker is probably hamstrung on what he can discuss so he couldn't use both barrels. Rand would of destroyed Bolton in a debate, this is why he put in a clown surrogate to run for president.

Firestarter
03-26-2018, 10:14 AM
I once thought that former ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson was bad, then I found out that Mike Pompeo and Gina Haspel are even worse, but this John Bolton is in a whole other league – actually making a “hilarious” joke to “bomb, bomb Iran”...

After President George Bush Jr. nominated John Bolton for US ambassador to the UN, on 15 April 2005 Melody Townsel sent a letter to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee members to protest against his nomination.

Melody Townsel described that in the late summer of 1994, she had worked as the subcontracted leader of a US Agency for International Development (USAID) project in Kyrgyzstan. At the time she was employed Black, Manafort, Stone & Kelly.
Paul Manafort: former Trump campaign chairman;
Roger Stone: Clinton basher, Trump advisor and associate of Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel.

Melody Townsel reported directly to Republican leader Charlie Black on the prime contractor's poor performance in Kyrgyzstan. Then she flew from Kyrgyzstan to Moscow where she met John Bolton, whom the prime contractor had hired as legal counsel.
For nearly 2 weeks, Bolton chased Townsel “through the halls of a Russian hotel - throwing things at me, shoving threatening letters under my door and, generally, behaving like a madman”.

John Bolton had gone to Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan 2 days before Townsel returned.
Bolton had told the other USAID team leader and US foreign-service officials in Bishkek that Townsel was under investigation for misuse of funds and likely faced jail time. He had also made insulting comments about Townsel’s weight, wardrobe and had hinted that she is a lesbian: http://www.lookingglassnews.org/viewstory.php?storyid=359
(archived here: http://archive.is/NM7o2)

John Bolton did become UN Ambassador...

Firestarter
03-27-2018, 04:38 AM
Here’s a nice video to show what John Bolton stands for (see him being interviewed at the Charles Koch Institute)…

Mass surveillance on everybody;
Bombing of Syria;
War in Iran;
John Bolton lied on WMDs in Iraq and then lied about his lies.

https://youtu.be/ch-1m8l-uHE