PDA

View Full Version : A note on efficiency

OferNave
12-12-2007, 04:05 AM
I know the spirit of this project was to hand-write each letter for maximum effect, but the inefficiency is breaking my heart. I did 200 letters tonight. I customized the template for me (my name, location, etc), and only left the person's name blank and a line at the bottom for my signature.

Here's my process:

1) I grab 100 envelopes, and write my return address on each.
2) I then go through the envelopes again, with a printed list of addresses as a reference, and address each envelope, crossing the address of the list.
3) I print out 100 copies of my letter template on my laser printer.
4) With the addressed envelopes and letter templates in front of me, I look at the top envelope, write the person's name on the letter, sign the bottom of the letter, fold the letter in three, include a Liberty Card (http://libertycard.org/), and seal the envelope. (I use #10 pull and stick envelopes, no licking necessary. 500 for $20 at Staples.)
5) I run through the stack for the last time, quickly applying a stamp to each.

Bam. 100 letters in a few hours. I believe this is the best compromise. The hand-addressed envelopes ensure they will be opened, and the hand-written name and signature on the letter still gives a sense of human personalization with minimal time cost.

We have 800k addresses to hit in 2-3 weeks. This is the only way we'll accomplish it.

Edit: I am now adding slim jims to each envelope in addition to the letter and liberty card.

literatim
12-12-2007, 08:16 AM
Um, these are suppose to be handwritten letters. There is no compromise. Printed out letters will do more harm than good.

kylejack
12-12-2007, 08:19 AM
Um, these are suppose to be handwritten letters. There is no compromise. Printed out letters will do more harm than good.
Right, but not everyone has great hand-writing and we don't have enough time to hand-write that many letters anyway. I spoke with the person in charge of the Iowa addresses and he said a typed letter would be fine as long as I signed it and hand-addressed it. There may be no compromise for you, but for the people running the project, there is compromise.

OferNave
12-12-2007, 05:06 PM
I was hoping for more responses. I'm interested in what everyone has to think. I'm also interested in championing this idea, because I think it's important.

kylejack
12-12-2007, 05:07 PM
I was hoping for more responses. I'm interested in what everyone has to think. I'm also interested in championing this idea, because I think it's important.
It was a good thread and I'm going to use some of the ideas. Licking envelopes is killing me.

austin356
12-12-2007, 06:02 PM

Where in the world have you been?

The majority of posters are doing exactly what the OP is doing.

On a side note:
Libertarians have notoriously bad handwriting.

garyk
12-12-2007, 06:02 PM
I have terrible handwriting and was having trouble getting through the letters without making mistakes so I printed my letters and signed them. I did the envelopes by hand.

To personalize the letters, I bought 6 X 9 stationary (which is beige), red holiday envelopes, and snowflake stamps. I included a few articles that supported the points in my letter and also signed the letters in red to match the envelopes.

kylejack
12-12-2007, 06:03 PM
On a side note:
Libertarians have notoriously bad handwriting.
Paper with lines on it oppresses me.

t3rmin
12-12-2007, 06:09 PM
I'm doing roughly the same process. Envelopes are hand-addressed and letters are hand-signed.

These days I'd be borderline pissed if somebody sent me a hand-written letter and I had to decipher the handwriting. Typed text is SO much easier to read.

rs3515
12-12-2007, 06:13 PM
These days I'd be borderline pissed if somebody sent me a hand-written letter and I had to decipher the handwriting.

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure you're not an Iowan living on a farm either.

LSUiLike
12-13-2007, 03:31 PM
I'm thinking I will type a letter covering the main points I don't want to forget and then write a more heart-felt message by hand on each printed page. Handwriting the envelopes is very important, I think.

WilliamC
12-13-2007, 03:43 PM
Greetings All,

Sorry if I don't share your disdain for the printed word. Seems this guy called Gutenberg came up with the idea of a printing press several hundred years ago. It caught on, and handwriting has been on the decline ever since.

Seriously, I DO NOT discourage anyone from handwriting letters. But there are too many people to contact in too short a time for this to be a viable option.

William C Colley

seapilot
12-13-2007, 04:18 PM
Either way print, copy or handwritten letters with Ron Pauls name and show of support is getting out there. I hand wrote 20 letters to Iowa with my email adress but not have heard from them, also included Ron Paul website and toll free Iowa number. Anyone know of any stories?

SophisticatedFarmGirl
12-14-2007, 11:38 PM
Props to all volunteers, however they go about "writing" the letters. I would read a letter sent by an excited fellow American, even if just for curiosity sake, hand-written or typed.

I hand wrote some of mine, but it took too long, so I am handwriting a letter and then copying it on the copier.

High-five to all volunteers!

Thanehand
12-27-2007, 10:26 AM
I've handwritten a few, but the efficiency was also killing me. I neatly handwrote a few "masters" with the greeting and closing blank and copied them on my inkjet copier. I then was able to hand write only the greeting and closing, saving a lot of time and making them personalized. They're technically still handwritten, but without punishing my hand as much. I've thought about changing my letter to mention why I had to quit handwriting every one.

I also hand addesssed them, and have written little sayings on the back (like happy holidays). Finally, I use return address labels so I don't have to write my address over and over.

And don't lick the envelopes! Use a damp sponge ;)