PDA

View Full Version : Huckabee Asks if Mormons Believe Jesus, Devil Are Brothers

Razmear
12-12-2007, 03:58 AM
http://www.rawstory.com/news/mochila/Huckabee_questions_Mormons_belief_12112007.html

Huckabee Asks if Mormons Believe Jesus, Devil Are Brothers

LIBBY QUAID
AP News

Dec 11, 2007 22:23 EST

Republican presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee, an ordained Southern Baptist minister, asks in an upcoming article, "Don't Mormons believe that Jesus and the devil are brothers?"

A spokeswoman for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said Huckabee's question is usually raised by those who wish to smear the Mormon faith rather than clarify doctrine.

Razmear
12-12-2007, 04:00 AM
Sorry, didn't see the dupe thread.

ChelC
12-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Pathetic move by Huckabee. If you are a mormon hating bigot, goodie for you. You can move in with the white supremacists and hate everyone if you'd like, but you can expect a backlash from the general public. As the resident "mormon" here I can clarify the truth of our doctrine if anyone really cares.

ComradeVlad
12-12-2007, 01:06 PM
um huckabee is an idiot. he should research his own religion.

jesus is the son of god. satan is the son of god. so therefore are they not brothers? this is in the christian bible itself. and probably in the mormon bible too.

LibertiORDeth
12-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Pathetic move by Huckabee. If you are a mormon hating bigot, goodie for you. You can move in with the white supremacists and hate everyone if you'd like, but you can expect a backlash from the general public. As the resident "mormon" here I can clarify the truth of our doctrine if anyone really cares.

So does what the representative said agree with you?

LibertiORDeth
12-12-2007, 03:43 PM
um huckabee is an idiot. he should research his own religion.

jesus is the son of god. satan is the son of god. so therefore are they not brothers? this is in the christian bible itself. and probably in the mormon bible too.

No they are not, I am a Christian, and basically agree with what was said by the Mormon Spokeswoman.

constituent
12-12-2007, 03:48 PM

actually, i'm interested (but in a good way, b/c i'm really interested, i love learning this sorta thing).

RP4ME
12-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Message to Huckabee:

GOOGLE IT!!!!!!!!

jerkface!

Dave Pedersen
12-12-2007, 05:27 PM
God is the Father of all souls.

Lucifer was made in the full pattern, perfect, however he divorced himself from the family of God and as such is not any longer our brother. Many have followed Satan into the realm of outcasts and they will be destroyed in due time, once they are no longer useful to chastise those who still have not made final commitment.

Father uses Satan, who has been sentenced to death, to correct those who can still choose life. God does not want any in the eternity who have not made a stand against evil. Once the judgment is completed those who refuse God will be destroyed.

This question of brotherhood is not a legitimate point of argument in a political fight.

www.shepherdschapel.com

ChelC
12-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Okay, since you say you are interested, here is my brief representation:

Mormon doctrine here is pretty much like any other Christian doctrine as far as I'm aware. Goes something like this:

Jesus presented a plan which would allow for free agency, and the atonement, all glory going to the Father.

Satan presented a plan which would not allow agency and thus none would be lost and the glory would be his.

This didn't jive with the Father who wanted us to come to earth to learn and grow and who doesn't believe in force. The battle over agency began.

Many rebelled and were cast out.

Yes, Satan was a child of God, cast out for disobedience to God's law (natural law).

Our religion is usually accused of not being Christian because of our literal interpretation of biblical scripture which teaches that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are three seperate entities. We believe in the Bible and we also believe the Book of Mormon to be true. It is a record kept by people on the American continent, and also testifies of Jesus Christ. Why everyone accuses us of not being Christian is a mystery to me. I have always been taught the teachings of Jesus and believe that he is my personal Savior. The church has a website for anyone wanting more info: lds.org

Dequeant
12-12-2007, 06:19 PM
It is a record kept by people on the American continent, and also testifies of Jesus Christ.

I think that's where all the "mormon-hatin" comes from. I mean, i don't "hate" any religion....hell, my wife is muslim...but i do call things like i see them, to a fault. I do tend to agree that the idea of Jesus somehow coming to america and speaking to john smith and having him compose the book of mormon is pretty far "out there". But hey, that's my opinion, and it's no more true or false then someone else's opinion believing it happened.......i can respect that choice either way.

However, i have lived in Utah (stationed at Hill AFB)...... Seemed pretty "cult-ish" to me. I've never seen anywhere in the U.S. where a religion literally ran the government....businesses even openly advertise "LDS Employment only", which i don't understand how that is even legal.......and their "Church" is referred to as "the temple".....which re-inforces the cult thing imho. However, the roads were laid out very well and most people seemed happy....ultimately, what does anyone's opinion matter when the people are completely happy regardless of anyone else's opinion.

Hope that wasn't too blunt, as i said, i don't "hate" any religion. My opinion is my opinion.......no one else has to read, care, or even respect it......it's one person's opinion.

EDIT: Forgot to mention (re-inforcing the whole "runs the government" point) the laws on alcohol they have there. Near-beer only? Apparantly because they are against any form of "stimulants" such as alcohol, coffee, smoking, etc etc etc.

LibertiORDeth
12-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Okay, since you say you are interested, here is my brief representation:

Mormon doctrine here is pretty much like any other Christian doctrine as far as I'm aware. Goes something like this:

Jesus presented a plan which would allow for free agency, and the atonement, all glory going to the Father.

Satan presented a plan which would not allow agency and thus none would be lost and the glory would be his.

This didn't jive with the Father who wanted us to come to earth to learn and grow and who doesn't believe in force. The battle over agency began.

Many rebelled and were cast out.

Yes, Satan was a child of God, cast out for disobedience to God's law (natural law).

Our religion is usually accused of not being Christian because of our literal interpretation of biblical scripture which teaches that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are three seperate entities. We believe in the Bible and we also believe the Book of Mormon to be true. It is a record kept by people on the American continent, and also testifies of Jesus Christ. Why everyone accuses us of not being Christian is a mystery to me. I have always been taught the teachings of Jesus and believe that he is my personal Savior. The church has a website for anyone wanting more info: lds.org

So what exactly do you believe is taking you to heaven?

Liberty Star
12-12-2007, 06:57 PM
He wants to be President of US, unbelievable.

kylejack
12-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Huckabee must have been watching some cartoons.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zy0d1HbItOo

joelfarm
12-12-2007, 08:49 PM
I was amazed that Huckabee came out with this smearof Romney less than a week after he said that his beliefs about locking up gays with aids should not be used against HIM. Believe me, I am no supporter of Romney even though I too, am a Mormon. But If Huckabee wants to slam Romney, there are plenty of actions that Mitt has done that are open to criticism aside from being Mormon. Personally I think Huckabee has plenty of things he needs to answer for himself, before ridiculing someone else. There should be more explanation of why he pushed to release the rapist to rape and kill again.

max
12-12-2007, 09:16 PM

Dont even feel compelled to respond to such bigoted garbage with an explanation.

I hope Romney hangs these words around his neck. On the downside, this ugly bigotry could cause a sympathy vote for Romney.

ChelC
12-12-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm sorry you had a bad experience in Utah. The alcohol laws are very strange here, but you can get regular beer at the grocery and convenience store (I think... I've never had any... not sure if the alcohol content is the same or not), and you can get all the other stuff at the state liquor store. It used to be that almost everyone in Utah was a Mormon and no we don't drink. I think the laws have stayed the same because most Mormons keep it that way and have continued to be the voting majority. I personally feel that any substance which is legal shouldn't be had through hula hoops. That has nothing to do with the doctrine of the church. I've never seen a company offer jobs only to LDS. I would like to hear what companies they were, that's a shame.

As far as being called a cult, well we're not. It's sure an offensive word. Our temples are seperate from our church houses. They are distinctly different. The temple is where sacred ordinances are performed. Like sacrificing chickens - :p LOL! Just kidding, that's what the word cult sounds like though. Actually the temples are very beautiful serene places where we seal families together in special covenants and perform special ordinances. One ordinance that sounds wierd but isn't is the baptism performed on behalf of the dead. We believe that when we are baptised for another who has passed on that they have the opportunity in the Spirit world to accept our decline those ordinances.

As far as my salvation? I believe it comes through the atonement of my Savior. I believe that taking the sacrament and repenting of my sins and keeping my baptismal covenants will result in my salvation.

Corydoras
12-12-2007, 10:32 PM

From Christian scripture: "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Key words: "only begotten"

God only had one kid.

Dequeant
12-12-2007, 11:30 PM
As far as being called a cult, well we're not. It's sure an offensive word.

My apologies if i offended you, that was not my intention. I just meant it seemed like a closed organization with strange laws that ran all local affairs. By closed i don't mean "closed to membership", i'm sure they'd accept converts, i mean as in the upper echelons of the LDS hierarchy is very secretive and wields far too much power within the local and state government for a religious sect.

However, i was able to throw some pretty wicked parties there due to me being able to get un-watered down beer from on the air force base......so my opinion of the place is generally positive, with the sole exception of the power the LDS church has over government there.

BTW, Honeyville Hot Springs is the best date place ever...... Many a young LDS girls donned bikini's for me there...even in winter ;)