PDA

View Full Version : Bill Moyers Interviews Victor Gold

SeanEdwards
07-02-2007, 02:24 AM
Interesting interview. This old hand of the Republican party singles out Gravel and Paul as the only Presidential candidates talking any sense, and laments that these two are regarded as 'kooks' by the establishment.

Excerpt from http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/06292007/profile2.html

Victor Gold is National Correspondent for WASHINGTONIAN magazine and the author of five books, including co-authorship of President George H.W. Bush's autobiography LOOKING FORWARD, and THE BODY POLITIC, a political fiction co-authored with Lynne Cheney.

Other books include I DON'T NEED YOU WHEN I'M RIGHT, covering his experience in Washington public relations, and P-R AS IN PRESIDENT, a study of the influence of the press and public relations in presidential campaigns. His most recent book is INVASION OF THE PARTY SNATCHERS: HOW THE NEO-CONS AND HOLY ROLLERS DESTROYED THE GOP.

VICTOR GOLD
Deputy Press Secretary to Barry Goldwater during the 1964 campaign, Victor Gold discusses where he believes the Republican Party has gone astray in the last twenty years.

Excerpt from transcript:

BILL MOYERS: I never met Barry Goldwater. Back in 1964 he was just the guy on the other side to beat. I mean, we did see him as shooting from the hip, as mobilizing the fringe, even mobilizing the old Confederacy, in being what we thought was on the wrong side of the civil rights movement. But I came, in the years to follow, to admire his candor. Who's speaking like Barry Goldwater today?

VIC GOLD: I don't know if a Barry Goldwater could exist in today's political--

BILL MOYERS: Why?

VICTOR GOLD: Because the impact of the sound bite mentality, the appealing to the base, which you find in both parties. The reason is there's been a debasing, no pun intended, of because if you listen to-- if you look these-- I call them the Stepford candidates on both sides in these debates. Isn't it interesting? The only two candidates that speak clearly, you see, are the ones they call the kooks. On the Democratic side they ask Mike Gravel a question and he goes, "Do you think Ameri-- English should be the official language?" He said, "Yes." And the rest of them say, "No, not the official language, the national language." I said, "Well, what the devil is the national lang"-- I mean, why don't you just say "no"? And on the Republican side you have Ron Paul, who was the only candidate who is antiwar and pro-civil liberties. That is he opposes what this administration is doing in terms of civil liberties. And they call him a kook. That's the closest thing you can get. So you can imagine Senator Goldwater, if he were-- he'd probably throw up his hands at the whole process and not run.