PDA

View Full Version : I'm nervous about the Ron Paul overnight (july 3-4)

megan
07-02-2007, 12:41 AM
hi dudes.

I'm nervous about everyone posting signs on the night of july 4th.
After the Ron Paul Iowa event, it's so striking how eager the press is to misrepresent RP's supporters--and ultimately, the good doctor himself.

Please only post signs in places where it is legal.
Please make yourselves very familiar with your local posting laws. (e.g., my city code (omaha) prevents posting signs on public property, and I know the media would jump on a chance to bring down the RP supporters because of it.)
Please only post signs on the property of people who want you to post them. Remember, every sign post and window belongs to someone.

Private property is a strong Ron Paul issue, so I hope his supporters do not abuse it on July 3rd!

Make Ron Paul proud, friends.

foofighter20x
07-02-2007, 12:57 AM
Civil disobedience, anyone? :D

andrewgreve
07-02-2007, 01:05 AM
We have on the street mailboxes in my development, so I'll be sticking campaign flyers and little notes saying something to the affect of "It's OK to talk to your neighbors about this..." on the outside of the mailbox, between the little red flag and the body of the box.

megan
07-02-2007, 01:05 AM
Civil disobedience, anyone? :D

I don't think we should consider promotion of a political candidate to fall under the category of "civil disobedience." I hope Ron Paul supporters avoid the mistake of claming "civil disobedience" when businesses/city governments oppose the posting of signs.

Just don't ruffle so many feathers. You can meet the objective of the Ron Paul Overnight, and do it within the bounds your city's laws. It's definitely the right thing to do.

foofighter20x
07-02-2007, 01:07 AM
Well, if you get really worried, I'll hold you. ;)

megan
07-02-2007, 01:07 AM
Well, if you get really worried, I'll hold you. ;)

unnecessary.

foofighter20x
07-02-2007, 01:10 AM
That was a joke, sweetie. :D

james1906
07-02-2007, 01:20 AM

yeah, only a joke because you got shot down!

foofighter20x
07-02-2007, 01:21 AM
You obviously haven't seen some of my other posts. :p

Evidence:
Link 1 (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=46845&postcount=6)
Link 2 (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=46468&postcount=24)
Link 3 (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=45668&postcount=1)
Link 4 (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=43683&postcount=1)

Gee
07-02-2007, 01:21 AM
She's right. The media is obviously all over any opportunity to make fun of "fringe" candidates, so I don't see any reason to give them more opportunities to do so to Ron. I think we are beyond the "any press is good press" stage.

Terribliz
07-02-2007, 01:33 AM
She's right. The media is obviously all over any opportunity to make fun of "fringe" candidates, so I don't see any reason to give them more opportunities to do so to Ron. I think we are beyond the "any press is good press" stage.

I would agree with you if anywhere close to 50% of voters were aware of Ron Paul.

wtbuser
07-02-2007, 01:50 AM
I'm always getting nervous about the supporters... I cringe hearing 9/11. But yeah, I already got an improper parking ticket when I was hanging up my highway "Who Is Ron Paul?" banner... that was a laugh... oddest thing though, its a $75 ticket... but they took my licenses on bond and tacked on court costs already! Gah...

mikelovesgod
07-02-2007, 02:20 AM
Why worry about bad press? People have no idea who he is. We need to get people to know who he is. There is about 50% of people who don't vote. That's our target!!! Let them find out he is a quack, I don't care, as long as they look them up.

I was told he was a quack, didn't know who he was, looked him up, and then liked him. That's the goal: EXPOSURE

sandersondavis
07-02-2007, 03:07 AM
I'm with Megan 100% on this one. We can get the message out, and support Ron Paul, without breaking the law or violating anyone's property. Good post Megan!

Revolution9
07-02-2007, 03:08 AM

To some. It is not gentlemanly though.

Best Regards
Randy

V-rod
07-02-2007, 04:02 AM
I would agree with you if anywhere close to 50% of voters were aware of Ron Paul.

I wouldn't be suprised if 25% of voters have never heard of Thompson.

foofighter20x
07-02-2007, 04:17 AM
To some. It is not gentlemanly though.

Best Regards
Randy

Neither is calling all servicemembers murderers, rapists, or babykillers, but that didn't stop you from calling them that, did it?

Revolution9
07-02-2007, 04:34 AM
Neither is calling all servicemembers murderers, rapists, or babykillers, but that didn't stop you from calling them that, did it?

Yer off again with your flailing at straw men of your own creation. I just took my first gander at your pics.. I now gather why you act they way you do. Stuff your hormones back in your pants pal. Learn to read and parse commentary coherently and trust facts. They wll help you navigate the 3D laboratory universe yer ass is stuck in:rolleyes:

Yer Pal
Randy

foofighter20x
07-02-2007, 04:50 AM
Read and parse what? The idiotic comments you made that you later went back and deleted after you stirred up a minor shitstorm?

You know, they say purposefully removing evidence of wrongdoing is the surest sign of guilt.

CJLauderdale4
07-02-2007, 05:00 AM
Megan's right!!

The July 4th headline does not need to read "Fringe candidate's supporters being cited nationwide for illegal signs/banners"

I definietly like the idea of wearing RP T-shirts and handing out RP trifolds and business cards. Or, the rally down at the beach in Ft. Lauderdale where all the Young Republicans will be.

Look, wherever your area does fireworks for the community, show up in numbers wearing your gear and passing out literature. This is legal, effective, and shows your positive and actively engaged.

Megan agrees that signs are good, but not if we're all getting cited for it!!

walt
07-02-2007, 06:34 AM
Where can someone get me signs in Chicago - I live on a busy street and woudl be pleased to put one in my window.

jd603
07-02-2007, 10:17 AM
You were also the one who brought the rumor here about out-of-staters not being welcomed in Iowa.

Just don't put yard signs in private property. Towns all have different ordinances. I have been putting yard signs in town/city property and haven't had any issues yet. I accidently put one or two in private property and the land owners just removed them (my loss).

Megan makes a point, do it at your own discretion, it's possible you will violate an ordinance putting signs out early. Honestly though, few cops will even write you up for it (or even be familiar with the ordinance), they'll just warn you.

Also, no bumper stickers on street signs or anything like that, no vandalism, yard signs are easily removed and most people will not care about them. This is mostly just common sense stuff.

hi dudes.

I'm nervous about everyone posting signs on the night of july 4th.
After the Ron Paul Iowa event, it's so striking how eager the press is to misrepresent RP's supporters--and ultimately, the good doctor himself.

Please only post signs in places where it is legal.
Please make yourselves very familiar with your local posting laws. (e.g., my city code (omaha) prevents posting signs on public property, and I know the media would jump on a chance to bring down the RP supporters because of it.)
Please only post signs on the property of people who want you to post them. Remember, every sign post and window belongs to someone.

Private property is a strong Ron Paul issue, so I hope his supporters do not abuse it on July 3rd!

Make Ron Paul proud, friends.

Original_Intent
07-02-2007, 10:24 AM
I have a corner lot and someone removed MY Ron Paul R[evol]ution sign from MY property. That pisses me off.:mad:

Roxi
07-02-2007, 10:24 AM
a lot of business owners might be willing to allow signs on their property if just asked for permission...especially with a promise to promote some word of mouth for them

LibertyEagle
07-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Let's do this, but let's do this legally.

Swmorgan77
07-02-2007, 10:33 AM
Meh..

I'm not that worried about it. If thousands of overnight "sign ninjas" got arrested in one night putting up Ron Paul signs, this would give him media attention and as the IOWA coverage indicates at this point this is still something that RP's enemies want to avoid.

It doesn't mean that local cops won't go after anyone, but I am not worried about some sort of big concerted effort in response to the overnight.

austinphish
07-02-2007, 10:36 AM
Negative Bump on this thread.

We can worry all day what the MSM is going to say about us with everything we do. Worry, worry, worry. Here is an idea, if we all just do nothing from here on out to support Ron Paul, then the MSM will have nothing bad to say about us!

I am personally on the side of civil disobedience as I am not trying to get my friend elected senior class president, I am trying to save this friggin country. Martin Luther King was arrested like 30 times for civil disobedience. Our Government is out of control and they are the ones breaking laws, the law of the Constitution.

AZ Libertarian
07-02-2007, 11:16 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about the police watching for sign-posters late in the evening before the Independence Celebration - I had a police officer call me over the other day and asked me "What is this 'Ron Paul R3VOLUTION' thing - is it a band of some sort?" I spent 5 minutes explaining who Ron was and what we were doing, and he gave me his name & address and asked me to send him an info packet (which I did). Cops are people too, and a lot of them aren't the 'Jack-booted Thugs' that comes to many peoples minds. So put those signs up - who do you fear more; your local gendarme seeing you put up a 'Ron Paul for President' sign, or someone OTHER than Doctor No being POTUS!?!

UtahApocalypse
07-02-2007, 11:50 AM
My Thoughts... While I agree we don't want to have a negative light shone on us or Ron Paul we must get the message out. If your involved in this overnight sign blitz be respectful, don't vandalize, but also do what we must do, and have fun. If you are harassed by the police or anyone, be polite, be compliant, and move on.

What if our four fathers followed British rule? America wouldn't even exist. What if Rosa parks moved to the back of the bus? We would still be segregated. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is remembered as one of the most important figures in our history. As mentioned before he was arrested over 30 times.

I am not saying that we will go out and cause havoc, create mayhem, or be looking to get in trouble. Just remember for us to win back our freedoms, restore our country, and defend our constitution we have to stand up. We may bend some laws, we may ruffle a few feathers. We can do so though cautiously, and respectfully.

jd603
07-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Ok I checked NH law. There's an RSA prohibiting any political signs on state roads/right-of-ways. It can be treated as littering and you can get a $250 fine and the NHDOT can remove the signs.

Each town may also have their own ordinances. In the end though, as long as you don't go overboard this stuff is loosely enforced, I know that from experience. Getting permission to put signs on private property or getting yard signs in the hands of Ron Paul supporters would be a safer use of the signs though.

In terms of a rally or event, nobody is going to care if you put signs out for a few days, I've never seen issues with that, the police have better things to do or better things to not do... :D

PaleoForPaul
07-02-2007, 12:43 PM

While I agree the media will use any opportunity to discredit Ron Paul, it's better that his signs get out there and the media makes fun of him than being overly cautious and not getting his message out.

Plus, it will occur to people that people are not willing to do this for other Republican candidates, and that might pique some curiousity in them to Paul's positions.

Do not let the media intimidate you into non-action.

megan
07-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Megan's right!!

The July 4th headline does not need to read "Fringe candidate's supporters being cited nationwide for illegal signs/banners"

I definietly like the idea of wearing RP T-shirts and handing out RP trifolds and business cards. Or, the rally down at the beach in Ft. Lauderdale where all the Young Republicans will be.

Look, wherever your area does fireworks for the community, show up in numbers wearing your gear and passing out literature. This is legal, effective, and shows your positive and actively engaged.

Megan agrees that signs are good, but not if we're all getting cited for it!!

YES. show up in person wearing your Ron Paul stuff and handing out pamphlets and cards ONE-TO-ONE with people. Remember, we're trying to let people know that they should vote for Ron Paul to protect THEIR constitutional liberties, not that they should vote for him to protect YOURS. We don't want to give the impression that if Ron Paul is elected then everyone will be running around with no respect for local laws and rules. Go to a rally with some friends, or go to a busy place and enthusiastically and politely hand out Ron Paul literature in a place where you can actually have a conversation with the people receiving it.

The truth is that Ron Paul has the most respect for the rules and we should try to do the same.

BTW, civil disobedience doesn't mean illegally posting a sign and then disappearing into the comforts of your home. If you're going to take the path of civil disobedience, you take full and public responsibility for your actions of disobedience.

The most important thing is to break no law.

megan
07-02-2007, 12:48 PM
Megan makes a point, do it at your own discretion, it's possible you will violate an ordinance putting signs out early. Honestly though, few cops will even write you up for it (or even be familiar with the ordinance), they'll just warn you.

I agree that we need to carefully follow the laws, but I also want to be clear that in this case I don't think we should be worried about the PERSONAL consequences of misposting signs (a ticket, a warning, etc.) The reason I don't even want you to have the CHANCE to get a ticket is because it will not only reflect on you, it will be spun to reflect Ron Paul and all the rest of us who are obeying the law to support him.

megan
07-02-2007, 12:49 PM
I have a corner lot and someone removed MY Ron Paul R[evol]ution sign from MY property. That pisses me off.:mad:

maybe they wanted to put it on THEIR property :)

lemonade.

megan
07-02-2007, 12:51 PM
Here is an idea, if we all just do nothing from here on out to support Ron Paul, then the MSM will have nothing bad to say about us!

I am personally on the side of civil disobedience as I am not trying to get my friend elected senior class president, I am trying to save this friggin country. Martin Luther King was arrested like 30 times for civil disobedience. Our Government is out of control and they are the ones breaking laws, the law of the Constitution.

Dont take this from one extreme to another, because we all know that it's not realistic. Nobody here is saying that we should "do nothing." I see absolutely no connection between wanting to obey the law in our support of Ron Paul, and "doing nothing."

Posting a sign and running away to the comfort of your own home is not civil disobedience. The government does break the law, but we are above that. Don't make Ron Paul supporters come off like they think they are too good for local laws and they think they have the right to disobey them. Too many people see Ron Paul supporters as cocky and overenthusiastic, and if we don't follow regulations on these things then people will think that we're cocky, enthusiastic, and nusiances who consider ourselves "above the law".

jd603
07-02-2007, 12:55 PM
I wouldn't worry about media ammunition , they'll create their own ammo if we don't create it for them. Again, DON'T attach signs to telephone polls, don't put stickers on public or private property etc. I wouldn't discourage simple yard signs though, in a few months they'll be all over for all candidates, I doubt being early with them will get any negative media unless its over-done. Just be sure to SPREAD them around and don't put them in stupid places, keep them low-key in the background for now. It works as well if not better.

The exception is when you have permission or it is your property, in which case, do what you want! :)

I agree that we need to carefully follow the laws, but I also want to be clear that in this case I don't think we should be worried about the PERSONAL consequences of misposting signs (a ticket, a warning, etc.) The reason I don't even want you to have the CHANCE to get a ticket is because it will not only reflect on you, it will be spun to reflect Ron Paul and all the rest of us who are obeying the law to support him.

emilysdad
07-02-2007, 02:19 PM
Negative Bump on this thread.

We can worry all day what the MSM is going to say about us with everything we do. Worry, worry, worry. Here is an idea, if we all just do nothing from here on out to support Ron Paul, then the MSM will have nothing bad to say about us!

Bravo! Look, if the best MSM can do is report to discredit RP by way of "out of control, law breaking sign hanging supporters" then I would consider that a victory. Now, I am going to contact my sherif and ask him to go out and arrest those several hundred persons responsible for several hundred garage sale signs posted on telephone poles which violate local ordinances, not.

Civil disobedience brings awarness, which leads to education. This is not a direct reflection on Dr. Paul no matter how MSM chooses to spin it. I say anthing goes and am more apt to concern myself with staying within morally accepted behaviour than a sign posting ordinance. But, thats just me. I will be plastering everywhere including telephone poles.

Birdlady
07-02-2007, 02:46 PM
People worry WAY too much on this board. It's not normal to be so concerned about every little thing.

If I want to put a RP sign at a busy intersection you can't stop me.

Some of you guys in here are creating fear for no reason. If someone doesn't like the sign they can get rid of it.

hummtide
07-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Ive got 550 signs Ive printed with backup staplegun and staples...

Im in the process of scouting out high traffic areas... TO THE TELEPHONE POLLS!

austinphish
07-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Dont take this from one extreme to another,
because we all know that it's not realistic.
Which extreme is which? I am confused, are you saying that your point is extreme also? More importantly, if you can't defend your point to its most extreme then it lacks principle.

You started this thread, and while you are entitled to your opinion I think this is just another case of us liberty minded individuals saying "don't tell me what to do".

Nobody here is saying that we should "do nothing." I see absolutely no connection between wanting to obey the law in our support of Ron Paul, and "doing nothing."

True, but telling people what not to do is as close to saying "do nothing" as it gets.

Posting a sign and running away to the comfort of your own home is not civil disobedience.
So what is civil disobedience, and then what are you worried about if it isn't?
Secondly, how else do people post signs? Most all outdoor advertising and signs are posted by someone who then departs the premises (besides the guy in guerrilla suit with the balloons advertising for an oil change.)

The government does break the law, but we are above that. Don't make Ron Paul supporters come off like they think they are too good for local laws and they think they have the right to disobey them.
"Don't do this, and don't do that"

Too many people see Ron Paul supporters as cocky and overenthusiastic, and if we don't follow regulations on these things then people will think that we're cocky, enthusiastic, and nusiances who consider ourselves "above the law".
I am going dismiss this as purely anecdotal. 90% of America don't know who Ron Paul is more or less can cite a stereotype of a Ron Paul supporter

BTW Megan, you are the first person on this Forum i have decided to call out as making bad points. I think we should all get along, except when you are raining on everyone else's parade.

kylejack
07-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Anyone in Houston? I know the perfect spots to use...the bridges over 59. These are:

Montrose
Dunlavy
Mandell
Woodhead

Get on these bridges and show your support to the traffic passing underneath!

duffster
07-02-2007, 09:22 PM
I think Megan is just trying to remind everyone that the point of putting out signs in the first place is to give people a positive impression of Ron Paul.

The truth of the matter is that a large number of people are pretty happy with the status quo and don't want to deal with what they consider political spam. Keep in mind that Ron Paul could really use these people's votes/contributions and we don't want to turn them off before they look into Dr Paul as someone to consider supporting.

Everyone should do their best to educate themselves on the rules of conduct before placing signs all over somebody's neighborhood. Afterall, there's a big difference between civil disobedience and civil ignorance.

JohnCrabtree
07-02-2007, 09:56 PM
For the signs I'm putting them in places where they can not cause a safety problem, and I am writing on the back "will remove on July 6th" This way the cardboard signs will not be left as an eyesore, or seen as litter. I seriously doubt many will be left by then, but it is a sign of good will.

I think that there are two methods to use: Mass marketing and one on one.
We have to do both. mass market with signs, bumper sticker and letters to the editor. Market one to one with Flyers, FRIENDLY CONVERSATION, and CDs/ DVDs.
Some times you can find Blank CDs really cheap. Office Depot has a 100 pack for $10 this week.

megan
07-03-2007, 10:02 AM
I think Megan is just trying to remind everyone that the point of putting out signs in the first place is to give people a positive impression of Ron Paul.

The truth of the matter is that a large number of people are pretty happy with the status quo and don't want to deal with what they consider political spam. Keep in mind that Ron Paul could really use these people's votes/contributions and we don't want to turn them off before they look into Dr Paul as someone to consider supporting.

Everyone should do their best to educate themselves on the rules of conduct before placing signs all over somebody's neighborhood. Afterall, there's a big difference between civil disobedience and civil ignorance.

thank you.

a_texian
07-03-2007, 10:35 AM
I'm have to agree with austinphish on this one.

So, an act of what our current gov't thugs defines as civil disobedience (you know, like exercising of one's Individual Right to Free Speech) can get you an (illegal) ticket of $75.00 - $250.00.

Yet, in ten or twenty years, when y'all youngsters are my age, that very same "infraction against the community" could very well get you labeled as an "Evil Terrorist" and get you unceremoniously dragged off to a "reeducation camp" with no writ of habeus corpus and maybe never even being heard from or seen again.

Don't roll your eyes -- it CAN and DOES happen. History is replete with regimes sinking to this level and beyond. It CAN and currently IS happening in this very country. Your "Individual/Human" rights have now been relegated to being lumped into an abstraction known as "Community Rights", which don't exist except in the minds (and blatantly unconstitutional laws) of our beloved, benevolent gov't.

Civil Disobedience, while you're still able to enjoy it without life-threatening consequences, is a noble thing and will see you in good company: Mohandas Karamchand Ghandi, Martin Luther King, et. al., all were sent to jail many times for what their respective gov'ts considered to be Civilly Disobedient acts; and we all know the outcome of their efforts.

We as Americans have an actual DUTY to enforce and uphold the tenets of our Constitution; ESPECIALLY when the gov't which is charged with upholding it becomes rogue and disrespectful of it.

Dr. Paul is the only truly "civilly disobedient" member of our Federal System, by the mere fact that he openly and loudly professes that he and his peers uphold and enforce the Constitution. This gets him labeled as a "quack" and "fringe member" of Congress. Is that a SAD state of affairs, or what!??

As long as we don't break any laws with respect to our Constitution, then an act, by definition, cannot be considered illegal and is thereby JUST; regardless of what "the community" or "out government" (which has no rights) thinks.

Ed Boyd
Central Texas

honkywill
07-06-2007, 04:10 AM
Ive got 550 signs Ive printed with backup staplegun and staples...

Im in the process of scouting out high traffic areas... TO THE TELEPHONE POLLS!

Holy crap, man. I gave ozark a dose of 17.

Strategically near the epicenter of town(wal-mart) and stop lights along 231.

How did you're overnight go?