PDA

View Full Version : 'Less Than 30% of Young Men and Women' Qualified to Join Military

Swordsmyth
03-09-2018, 06:09 PM
The United States Marine Corps Commandant told Congress on Wednesday that recruitment is "hard work," because so few people are qualified to fill the ranks.

But while recruitment is difficult, "This is a really good Marine Corps," General Robert B. Neller told the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense:

"So, I think we're all aware that, you know, in the nation, I mean, it's a strategic issue that less than 30 percent of the young men and women of our nation are qualified just to join the military, either because of physical, mental or moral issues. So now we're down to 30 percent and now we have to find those that have a propensity or are interested in doing this.

More at: https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/marine-corps-commandant-less-30-young-men-and-women-are-qualified-join-us

dannno
03-09-2018, 06:27 PM
Ya it's funny how trans and gay people claim they have a "right" to join the military, yet someone who is physically capable but had childhood asthma technically does not have that same "right".. although apparently the military looks the other way on the childhood asthma issue in many cases, but officially it is true.

VIDEODROME
03-09-2018, 06:28 PM
Wait is this the military in general or the Marines specifically which probably have higher standards.

Swordsmyth
03-09-2018, 06:32 PM
Wait is this the military in general or the Marines specifically which probably have higher standards.

He says "the military" so even less are qualified to be marines.

Danke
03-09-2018, 06:34 PM

Have you ever spoken to a Marine? Pretty low standards.

Swordsmyth
03-09-2018, 06:35 PM
Have you ever spoken to a Marine? Pretty low standards.

Almost as low as the Air Force.

Danke
03-09-2018, 06:38 PM
Almost as low as the Air Force.

ya, riiight. That is why they are always dependent on Air cover...

Swordsmyth
03-09-2018, 06:42 PM
ya, riiight. That is why they are always dependent on Air cover...

Marines have their own Air wing because they can't trust the Navy or the Air force to do the job right.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
03-09-2018, 06:43 PM
Don't they mean 30% of people who apply and not 30% of the general population? If they mean 30% of the general population, then how do they know this?

Swordsmyth
03-09-2018, 06:47 PM
Don't they mean 30% of people who apply and not 30% of the general population? If they mean 30% of the general population, then how do they know this?

They are connected to the public schools and they look at school records, he refers to statistics in the article but he doesn't say where he gets them from.

oyarde
03-09-2018, 08:05 PM

They mean population , they are basing it on weight , aptitude tests , physical fitness , marksmanship potential and mental stability . Probably as low as 20 percent . Which would probably be 20 percent less than 1970's - 1980's Marine or Army basic training when it was harder ?

oyarde
03-09-2018, 08:11 PM
Th US will soon be a modern Carthage . Where the citizenry are all fat , lazy , wealthy and indifferent . Unable and unwilling to defend itself , that will be farmed out to the peasantry until they no longer take the position and mercenaries will be brought in from mexico , Puerto Rico , Guam etc

oyarde
03-09-2018, 08:18 PM
America was conquered and settled by white euro trash who were unwashed , greedy , ignorant and murderous . They were very steely , determined . The qualities of this that remain now are only the ignorance . Those people could not even read and they would not submit to the tyrannical politicians people here have been voting for for a hundred years

r3volution 3.0
03-09-2018, 08:26 PM

Standards:

"Are you dumb enough to run directly into heavy machine gun fire in exchange for a tin star?

"YES SIR, HUAH!"

"Welcome to the Corps, son."

heavenlyboy34
03-09-2018, 08:40 PM
Th US will soon be a modern Carthage . Where the citizenry are all fat , lazy , wealthy and indifferent . Unable and unwilling to defend itself , that will be farmed out to the peasantry until they no longer take the position and mercenaries will be brought in from mexico , Puerto Rico , Guam etc

Well, Puerto Rico is a territory-they wouldn't be "mercenaries", I don't think. There's also the US Virgin Islands which could provide talent. Plus Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Bajo Nuevo Bank ETA, B (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker_Island)aker Island,Howland Island, Jarvis Island,Johnston Atoll,Kingman Reef, Midway Islands ,Navassa Island,Palmyra Atoll,S (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serranilla_Bank)erranilla Bank,Wake island

acptulsa
03-09-2018, 09:09 PM
They mean population , they are basing it on weight , aptitude tests , physical fitness , marksmanship potential and mental stability . Probably as low as 20 percent . Which would probably be 20 percent less than 1970's - 1980's Marine or Army basic training when it was harder ?

I'm sure it is a lower percentage than in the late 1970s, despite the fact that they will take some now they wouldn't take then--like open homosexuals. But that's only partly because the media is filling mothers with irrational fear of letting their children go out in the sunshine and get exercise.

Another factor is that they have been sending the suitable ones into combat and getting them killed, wounded and traumatized with PTSD for fifteen years now, defending the Federal Reserve's Petrodollar, ExxonMobil's oil holdings and Pfizer's opium fields. That tends to thin the field somewhat after a decade and a half.

oyarde
03-09-2018, 09:11 PM
I'm sure it is a lower percentage than in the late 1970s, despite the fact that they will take some now they wouldn't take then--like open homosexuals. But that's only partly because the media is filling mothers with irrational fear of letting their children go out in the sunshine and get exercise.

Another factor is that they have been sending the suitable ones into combat and getting them killed, wounded and traumatized with PTSD for fifteen years now, defending the Federal Reserve's Petrodollar, ExxonMobil's oil holdings and Pfizer's opium fields. That tends to thin the field somewhat after a decade and a half.
Ya , they grind up a lot of potential productivity with shit like Afghanistan etc

oyarde
03-09-2018, 09:13 PM
Well, Puerto Rico is a territory-they wouldn't be "mercenaries", I don't think. There's also the US Virgin Islands which could provide talent. Plus Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Bajo Nuevo Bank ETA, B (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker_Island)aker Island,Howland Island, Jarvis Island,Johnston Atoll,Kingman Reef, Midway Islands ,Navassa Island,Palmyra Atoll,S (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serranilla_Bank)erranilla Bank,Wake island

Excellent I can steal the Islanders away to be loyal to my empire and take back all of my ancestral lands as the others lay on the couch eating chips and playing pilot video games .

heavenlyboy34
03-09-2018, 10:16 PM
Excellent I can steal the Islanders away to be loyal to my empire and take back all of my ancestral lands as the others lay on the couch eating chips and playing pilot video games .
This is true. But if you do that, there won't be people to work the land in your extended empire. :( #hollowedoutempirecollapse

acptulsa
03-09-2018, 10:22 PM
This is true. But if you do that, there won't be people to work the land in your extended empire. :( #hollowedoutempirecollapse

What does he care about those islands if he has reclaimed the Heartland?

#priorities

oyarde
03-09-2018, 10:57 PM
The Hinterlands ( illinois , parts of northern minnesota etc) will just be a Berm and used as listening post so the communists cannot invade without a preemptive war party to intercept .

VIDEODROME
03-10-2018, 03:40 AM
Standards:

"Are you dumb enough to run directly into heavy machine gun fire in exchange for a tin star?

"YES SIR, HUAH!"

"Welcome to the Corps, son."

Going with this, is there in fact a shortage of maniacs?

GunnyFreedom
03-10-2018, 06:13 AM
Ya it's funny how trans and gay people claim they have a "right" to join the military, yet someone who is physically capable but had childhood asthma technically does not have that same "right".. although apparently the military looks the other way on the childhood asthma issue in many cases, but officially it is true.

I had childhood asthma, and had no problems enlisting into the Marines. Boot camp at Parris Island pretty much obliterated my asthma.

acptulsa
03-10-2018, 07:21 AM
I had childhood asthma, and had no problems enlisting into the Marines. Boot camp at Parris Island pretty much obliterated my asthma.

And once again, Dannno-Fact proves to be fiction. Am I the only one noticing a trend?

specsaregood
03-10-2018, 07:50 AM
And once again, Dannno-Fact proves to be fiction. Am I the only one noticing a trend?

meh, doesn't sound like he is wrong according to others. and he did say they "often look the other way"
https://www.thebalance.com/new-asthma-and-add-adhd-policy-3353970

Previously, any history of asthma was disqualifying, regardless of age. While medical waivers were sometimes possible, waiver approval usually required scheduling and passing a pulmonary function test. Under the new policy, asthma is only disqualifying if it occurs after the applicant’s 13th birthday. Some waivers were granted back then, but typically only for non-combat jobs.

Medical record screening may still be required, depending on the applicant’s medical history. However, in many cases, a signed statement, attached to the medical pre-screening form, stating that the applicant did not have any type of asthma (including exercise-induced, or allergic asthma) or treatment for asthma after their 13th birthday will be sufficient. Also having no issues with the fitness test helps in this process too — so arrive in shape with no cardio-vascular weakness.

Applicants who’ve experienced asthma or reactive airway disease after age 13 will require all medical documentation.

Waivers may still be considered, depending on the applicant’s medical history and — possibly results from a pulmonary function test.

oyarde
03-10-2018, 08:01 AM

Ya , you get enough two mile runs in that ought to clear up the lungs .

oyarde
03-10-2018, 08:02 AM
I just think of lungs and brain as muscles that people do not use much .

acptulsa
03-10-2018, 08:03 AM
meh, doesn't sound like he is wrong according to others. and he did say they "often look the other way"

No, he said specifically 'childhood asthma', and he specifically used the present tense. At the current time, asthma before age 13 does not deprive anyone of the 'right' to sign his or her own ass over to the military.

...but officially it is true.

Or do we need to argue over what the meaning of 'is' is?

Ergo, he said something which is simply not true. Perhaps it would have been true if he had used the past tense, or perhaps it would have been true if he had talked about some kind of asthma other than childhood asthma. But he did not. Instead, he spouted fiction.

specsaregood
03-10-2018, 08:14 AM
No, he said specifically 'childhood asthma', and he specifically used the present tense. At the current time, asthma before age 13 does not deprive anyone of the 'right' to sign his or her own ass over to the military.

Or do we need to argue over what the meaning of 'is' is?

Ergo, he said something which is simply not true. Perhaps it would have been true if he had used the past tense, or perhaps it would have been true if he had talked about some kind of asthma other than childhood asthma. But he did not. Instead, he spouted fiction.

So you are crowing because he was using information that was less than 2 years out of date? it wasn't fiction, it was just old info. and you used Gunny's experience to "prove" it? from what I can tell, childhood asthma WAS disqualifying when Gunny signed up, so his story doesn't disprove Dannno's statement.

enhanced_deficit
03-10-2018, 08:15 AM
Do we have data from pre Iraq/Afghan freedom operations and how it compares to this latest report?

Among other things, this spells trouble for any future freedom spreading operation in Syria, Africa or racial equality spreading operations in Israel-Palestine etc. Current commander in chief is in top shape (putting aside disrespectful comments from Senator Duckworth) but that alone may not be enough to face freedom & democracy challenges ahead.
Sharp rise in Afghan opioids production since Afghan freedom war should also be curtailed to save the youth everywhere.

Un-Related

Tammy Duckworth, Iraq vet, calls Trump 'cadet bone spurs' (https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/21/tammy-duckworth-iraq-vet-calls-trump-cadet-bone-spurs.html)

acptulsa
03-10-2018, 08:20 AM
So you are crowing because he was using information that was less than 2 years out of date? it wasn't fiction, it was just old info. and you used Gunny's experience to "prove" it? from what I can tell, childhood asthma WAS disqualifying when Gunny signed up, so his story doesn't disprove Dannno's statement.

I'm not crowing. This sort of thing happens all the time.

I wouldn't consider it worthy of comment at all if the poster in question didn't have upward of ten thousand posts on this board which all say something to the effect of, 'Trust me, I know better than you what the people in charge are thinking, you don't know what's going on, maybe you would if you had an IQ of 137 like me and a superhuman grasp of factoids and details.'

I've been watching him spew that for a decade, and I claim a right to call him on it. Yes, he has proven completely impervious to such treatment for a very long time. But one never knows for certain that one more straw on the back of the camel won't be that straw.

specsaregood
03-10-2018, 08:32 AM
I'm not crowing. This sort of thing happens all the time.

I wouldn't consider it worthy of comment at all if the poster in question didn't have upward of ten thousand posts on this board which all say something to the effect of, 'Trust me, I know better than you what the people in charge are thinking, you don't know what's going on, maybe you would if you had an IQ of 137 like me and a superhuman grasp of factoids and details.'

I've been watching him spew that for a decade, and I claim a right to call him on it. Yes, he has proven completely impervious to such treatment for a very long time. But one never knows for certain that one more straw on the back of the camel won't be that straw.

You have the right to do whatever you want, if you want to come off as a childish prick just to out do him on the childish prick front, so be it. I can't think of a more stupid thing to argue about. I wish all young men and women were disqualified from the meat grinder.

acptulsa
03-10-2018, 08:36 AM
You have the right to do whatever you want, if you want to come off as a childish prick just to out do him on the childish prick front, so be it.

Sometimes it's the childish impetus which causes a child to finally grow up. Or maybe he's impervious, and I'm wasting my effort.

I wish all young men and women were disqualified from the meat grinder.

From your keyboard to God's ear...

Superfluous Man
03-10-2018, 09:09 AM
it's a strategic issue that less than 30 percent of the young men and women of our nation are qualified just to join the military, either because of physical, mental or moral issues.

So they have a problem finding as many people as they used to who are immoral enough to be Marines? I wouldn't have guessed it. But I'm glad.

r3volution 3.0
03-10-2018, 10:17 PM
So they have a problem finding as many people as they used to who are immoral enough to be Marines? I wouldn't have guessed it. But I'm glad.

I don't think it's a matter of morality, in most cases.

In order to be morally responsible for one's behavior, one must have some idea of what one's doing.

The average enlistee, in my experience, does not (have any idea of what he's doing).

...of course, some are actively seeking to "kill hajis," live out their video game fantasies, etc, but most are doing this for lack of a better idea.

That doesn't earn my sympathy, but it also doesn't earn my hatred: more like pity.

oyarde
03-10-2018, 10:19 PM
No they can still find them , they are just too defective .

specsaregood
03-10-2018, 10:25 PM
Is there a list of what makes one morally disqualified? I'd like to make sure my son hits all the bullet points.

r3volution 3.0
03-10-2018, 10:28 PM
Is there a list of what makes one morally disqualified? I'd like to make sure my son hits all the bullet points.

There's no draft, so just don't enlist.

But if you're concerned about a future draft, screaming about anarchism might do the trick.

Ender
03-10-2018, 10:59 PM
From your keyboard to God's ear...

^^^THIS^^^

Superfluous Man
03-11-2018, 02:45 PM
I don't think it's a matter of morality, in most cases.

You're probably right. But morality was one of the criteria listed in the quote I was replying to.

GunnyFreedom
03-11-2018, 07:09 PM

I joined in 1992, had a medical record of asthma. All the way up to the week before I enlisted. Wrote it on my enlistment forms. Never received (or requested) a waiver. Went to PI on a guaranteed Infantry job (halfway through Boot Camp, a cluster-fk of officers asked me to go into intelligence) Shipped to Parris Island on schedule. Recruiters just said, "as long as you don't need an emergency inhaler you should be fine." I hadn't needed an inhaler since I was 15, and I was fine.

Zippyjuan
03-11-2018, 07:19 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD_t4JxHabY