PDA

View Full Version : Trade is good, tariffs are bad:

Matt Collins
03-07-2018, 07:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5wwKf0-DME

dannno
03-07-2018, 07:47 PM
Trump's goal is to reduce tariffs, you just have to look at the other side of the equation.

TheTexan
03-07-2018, 07:59 PM
Trump's goal is to reduce tariffs, you just have to look at the other side of the equation.

+rep exactly

If we want to reduce tariffs, we have to increase them. It's the only way

Zippyjuan
03-07-2018, 08:00 PM

He has a funny way of going about it.

timosman
03-07-2018, 08:10 PM
He has a funny way of going about it.

Not more funny than your way of supporting the goals of this site.:cool:

kcchiefs6465
03-07-2018, 08:10 PM
Reminds me of that part in Starsky and Hutch (the movie they made based off the show) where Hutch is undercover and the sergeant asks him why he hasn't made any arrests and he says, "How can I arrest them, they'll know I'm a cop."

timosman
03-07-2018, 08:13 PM
Trade is good, tariffs are bad:

We've been trading like crazy for the last few decades. Just look what a great shape we are all in. :cool:

kcchiefs6465
03-07-2018, 08:18 PM
We've been trading like crazy for the last few decades. Just look what a great shape we are all in. :cool:
Yes. It has nothing to do with the myriad laws, taxes, regulations and wholesale debasement of a currency to fund entitled generations in perpetuity.

Matt Collins
03-07-2018, 09:36 PM
If we want to reduce tariffs, we have to increase them. It's the only way
This makes zero sense.

nikcers
03-07-2018, 09:40 PM
This makes zero sense.
Its okay little guy, someone who knows best for you thinks it makes sense and thats all that matters.

oyarde
03-07-2018, 09:43 PM
I am all for free trade . You guys let me know when that happens . Until then , meh .

Raginfridus
03-07-2018, 10:03 PM
Not more funny than your way of supporting the goals of this site.:cool:

Zippy is fake news.

nikcers
03-07-2018, 10:18 PM
Zippy is fake news.
America laughs but fake news is like a spec of dirt in your eye, if you're not careful it can get infected and you could go blind.

dannno
03-07-2018, 10:36 PM
This makes zero sense.

No, it makes perfect sense. If Trump just went to other countries and asked them nicely to lower their tariffs, they would tell him to kick rocks. Now Trump has some ammo. They will lower their tariffs, and we will pay less tariffs.

thoughtomator
03-07-2018, 11:14 PM
No, it makes perfect sense. If Trump just went to other countries and asked them nicely to lower their tariffs, they would tell him to kick rocks. Now Trump has some ammo. They will lower their tariffs, and we will pay less tariffs.

For a bunch of "libertarians", there are precious few people here who have even this modest measure of business sense. US trade reps were so desperate to make deals, that every counterparty knew up front they could drive the hardest possible terms, that favored them the most. And here we are, locked in a web of extremely bad deals that narrowly privatize the benefits and socialize the costs.

Our determination to "free trade" at all costs means we pay the highest possible cost for it and nobody else has incentive to reciprocate.

phill4paul
03-07-2018, 11:30 PM
Stossel's full of shit. NAFTA destroyed the furniture manufacturing in my part of the woods. Destroyed it. Wiped out the middle class. Period. Fuck Stossel.

timosman
03-07-2018, 11:57 PM
For a bunch of "libertarians", there are precious few people here who have even this modest measure of business sense. US trade reps were so desperate to make deals, that every counterparty knew up front they could drive the hardest possible terms, that favored them the most. And here we are, locked in a web of extremely bad deals that narrowly privatize the benefits and socialize the costs.

Our determination to "free trade" at all costs means we pay the highest possible cost for it and nobody else has incentive to reciprocate.

And yet the stupid schmucks are convinced they are the smartest guys in the room and are unable to realize they have been conned. :mad:

thoughtomator
03-08-2018, 12:13 AM
And yet the stupid schmucks are convinced they are the smartest guys in the room and are unable to realize they have been conned. :mad:

What really blows my mind is that our trade deals are on such unbelievably and universally bad terms that any person with any business experience - by which I mean actually making deals, not merely working in a business - should be shocked.

And this tells me that none of the ninny crowd here has any actual business experience. What kind of libertarian has so little entrepreneurial spirit as to be that unfamiliar with negotiating a business arrangement?

dannno
03-08-2018, 12:44 AM
Stossel's full of shit. NAFTA destroyed the furniture manufacturing in my part of the woods. Destroyed it. Wiped out the middle class. Period. Fuck Stossel.

Well and we know that wasn't because of free trade, that was because of a government managed economy and government managed currency combined with bad government managed trade deals. Stossel is mostly right that free trade is good, but if you setup the wrong combination of factors you can make some serious inorganic shifts in the economy that hurt some people.

Anti Federalist
03-08-2018, 05:07 AM

But they are doing fine now because of all that extra money they have by saving money on Chinese made furniture...right?

http://www.massbudget.org/reports/images/swma14/image15.JPG

Raginfridus
03-08-2018, 06:13 AM
America laughs but fake news is like a spec of dirt in your eye, if you're not careful it can get infected and you could go blind.

I don't know what that means.

nobody's_hero
03-08-2018, 07:59 AM
Stossel's full of $#@!. NAFTA destroyed the furniture manufacturing in my part of the woods. Destroyed it. Wiped out the middle class. Period. $#@! Stossel.

But it made it cheaper to buy goods with your welfare stipends.

nikcers
03-08-2018, 08:57 AM
I don't know what that means.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CAy5cR_Dds

Matt Collins
03-08-2018, 08:59 AM
That's not really Trump's job.

And as long as he doesn't actually raise or create tariffs.

But he should also not use the bully pulpit to spread economic ignorance either. Many people ignorantly think that tariffs are good thing and Trump is fueling these delusions by his rhetoric.

Matt Collins
03-08-2018, 09:00 AM
NAFTA was a bad deal. Has Ron has said, "why does a free trade deal need 27,000 pages?"

That being said, being specialized is key to having good opportunity, but so is being versatile. The economy is not static.

Matt Collins
03-08-2018, 09:01 AM
Well and we know that wasn't because of free trade, that was because of a government managed economy and government managed currency combined with bad government managed trade deals. Stossel is mostly right that free trade is good, but if you setup the wrong combination of factors you can make some serious inorganic shifts in the economy that hurt some people.Now you're starting to make sense again.

Matt Collins
03-08-2018, 06:21 PM
Guess you were wrong:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/08/us/politics/trump-tariff-announcement.html