PDA

View Full Version : Trump Praises China's Xi, 'jokes' We Should Have a President for Life

The Rebel Poet
03-03-2018, 09:58 PM
In the closed-door remarks, a recording of which was obtained by CNN, Trump also praised China's President Xi Jinping for recently consolidating power and extending his potential tenure, musing he wouldn't mind making such a maneuver himself.
"He's now president for life. President for life. No, he's great," Trump said. "And look, he was able to do that. I think it's great. Maybe we'll have to give that a shot some day."Cue danno in 3...2...1...
I Couldn't find a youtube, but the audio is at link:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/03/politics/trump-maralago-remarks/index.html

https://youtu.be/09ZCJnf-qMw(Trump audio starts at 1:03)

Swordsmyth
03-03-2018, 11:03 PM
Term limits are stupid but so is what Trump said.

dannno
03-03-2018, 11:09 PM
Uh oh, Rev 3 might be a Trump supporter now...

nikcers
03-03-2018, 11:13 PM
Term limits are stupid but so is what Trump said.
We need term limits for everything government. Fuck that noise.

Swordsmyth
03-03-2018, 11:17 PM
We need term limits for everything government. $#@! that noise.

THEY have an infinite bench of puppets to do their will, we can hardly find good men like Dr. Ron, term limits would have forced Dr. Ron out of the house long before his presidential run.

Term limits force good men out of office to be replaced by bad men, they force bad men out of office to be replaced by bad men, if the voters would have kept the bad man in office they won't replace him with a good man.

nikcers
03-03-2018, 11:18 PM
THEY have an infinite bench of puppets to do their will, we can hardly find good men like Dr. Ron, term limits would have forced Dr. Ron out of the house long before his presidential run.

Term limits force good men out of office to be replaced by bad men, they force bad men out of office to be replaced by bad men, if the voters would have kept the bad man in office they won't replace him with a good man.
If we had term limits Ron might not of had a reason to devote his whole life trying to get term limits

Swordsmyth
03-03-2018, 11:21 PM
If we had term limits Ron might not of had a reason to devote his whole life trying to get term limits

If Ron supported term limits he was misguided, as are you.

I notice you resorted to an appeal to authority since you couldn't debate the logic.

nikcers
03-03-2018, 11:26 PM
If Ron supported term limits he was misguided as are you.

I notice you resorted to an appeal to authority since you couldn't debate the logic.
No not at all you said that we wouldn't have people like Ron Paul fighting the establishment if there were term limits. When Term limits is something that Ron Paul was fighting for so I was agreeing with you. We wouldn't have a Ron Paul fighting for term limits if we had term limits.

nikcers
03-03-2018, 11:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8x21cONv9c

Swordsmyth
03-03-2018, 11:41 PM

Have term limits made anything better? NO

There is no substitute for a philosophically correct electorate.

Swordsmyth
03-03-2018, 11:42 PM

Another appeal to authority?

nikcers
03-03-2018, 11:49 PM
Another appeal to authority?
I thought this was the leave me a alone forum that doesn't like career politicians. Ron and Rand work within the system to try to change it, so yeah I don't think they should impose their own self imposed term limits, I don't think that is antithetical to them pushing for term limits either.

dannno
03-03-2018, 11:54 PM

Ya if only we had term limits there would be no taxes or foreign wars..

nikcers
03-03-2018, 11:57 PM
I never said that Ron might not be fighting for smaller government, I just said he wouldn't be fighting for term limits.

Swordsmyth
03-03-2018, 11:57 PM
I thought this was the leave me a alone forum that doesn't like career politicians. Ron and Rand work within the system to try to change it, so yeah I don't think they should impose their own self imposed term limits, I don't think that is antithetical to them pushing for term limits either.

I don't like BAD politicians, if a good politician spends his entire life as a public servant fighting for my freedom I am grateful for his sacrifice, just as I am for Dr. Paul's.

If we had had term limits Ron's 2008 run never would have happened and if we impose them in the future we will be destroying similar possibilities.

There are simply too many bad men available to our enemies and not enough good men available to us for term limits to be a good idea.

Swordsmyth
03-03-2018, 11:58 PM

Term limits improved the quality of Presidents after FDR. :rolleyes:

nikcers
03-04-2018, 12:10 AM
I don't like BAD politicians, if a good politician spends his entire life as a public servant fighting for my freedom I am grateful for his sacrifice, just as I am for Dr. Paul's.

If we had had term limits Ron's 2008 run never would have happened and if we impose them in the future we will be destroying similar possibilities.

There are simply too many bad men available to our enemies and not enough good men available to us for term limits to be a good idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGCcIs4fHVQ

nikcers
03-04-2018, 12:16 AM
If Ron supported term limits he was misguided, as are you.

If you think this obviously you have different heroes then I do.

Swordsmyth
03-04-2018, 12:25 AM
If you think this obviously you have different heroes then I do.

Are you saying Ron and Rand are not heroes?

You support term limits and they support term limits, I am against term limits but I still think of them as heroes, they are just misguided on term limits.

Pauls' Revere
03-04-2018, 12:41 AM

I think term limits then would increase the chances of getting more good people in. If we are out numbered by bad people then we should rotate or cycle through those bad people. Thus, this increases the liklihood of getting more good peopel in. Or at the very least, perhaps less bad.

Im tired of the career politicians, Ted Kennedy, Feinstein, Hatch, McCain, etc...telling me to be patient and wait 30 years for the chance of a good person? I can't do that. Imagine if Pelosi had been booted 8 years ago? or warhawk McCain booted 10 years ago. Things probably would be better in at least we know they are temporary employees.

Swordsmyth
03-04-2018, 12:50 AM
I think term limits then would increase the chances of getting more good people in. If we are out numbered by bad people then we should rotate or cycle through those bad people. Thus, this increases the liklihood of getting more good peopel in. Or at the very least, perhaps less bad.

Im tired of the career politicians, Ted Kennedy, Feinstein, Hatch, McCain, etc...telling me to be patient and wait 30 years for the chance of a good person? I can't do that. Imagine if Pelosi had been booted 8 years ago? or warhawk McCain booted 10 years ago. Things probably would be better in at least we know they are temporary employees.

But would their replacement have been any better?
You would guarantee the loss of any good politicians we do find before they could do much good.
Also remember that the deepstate has no term limits and neither do lobbyists or the bureaucracy, by the time a good politician learned how to deal with them he would be gone.

nikcers
03-04-2018, 12:57 AM
You would guarantee the loss of any good politicians we do find before they could do much good.
Also remember that the deepstate has no term limits and neither do lobbyists or the bureaucracy, by the time a good politician learned how to deal with them he would be gone.
I agree with your analysis just not your solution. The problems that you mentioned is why we need term limits everywhere in government. I don't think any of my heroes are "misguided" though, if I did they wouldn't be my heroes.

Swordsmyth
03-04-2018, 01:05 AM
I agree with your analysis just not your solution. The problems that you mentioned is why we need term limits everywhere in government.
Term limits aren't the answer, the "spoils" system is, the victors in an election should be allowed to make a clean sweep changing out the bureaucracy, but the military and intelligence people have to be career people and lobbyists are private citizens, good politicians must be allowed to stay long enough to learn how to deal with them.

I don't think any of my heroes are "misguided" though, if I did they wouldn't be my heroes.

There has only been one perfect man on earth, you must allow your heroes to be wrong sometimes or you will either be mislead or disappointed.

nikcers
03-04-2018, 08:10 AM
Term limits aren't the answer, the "spoils" system is, the victors in an election should be allowed to make a clean sweep changing out the bureaucracy, but the military and intelligence people have to be career people and lobbyists are private citizens, good politicians must be allowed to stay long enough to learn how to deal with them.

There has only been one perfect man on earth, you must allow your heroes to be wrong sometimes or you will either be mislead or disappointed.
That's the reason why we need term limits, because power corrupts and men are not perfect.

nikcers
03-04-2018, 09:15 AM
Trump also said this on Saturday- I am sure glad Bush didn't use the patriot act and the deep state to have more then 2 terms. The deep state used to test the waters talking about an Obama 3rd term as well. We basically have an Obama 3rd term, which is the real joke.

Trump mocked Bush's intellect and compared his decision to invade Iraq to "throwing a big fat brick into a hornet's nest." "Here we are, like the dummies of the world, because we had bad politicians running our country for a long time," - Trump

specsaregood
03-04-2018, 09:33 AM
Are you saying Ron and Rand are not heroes?

You support term limits and they support term limits, I am against term limits but I still think of them as heroes, they are just misguided on term limits.

Yeah, two guys that have actually worked in and around DC and know more about it than you are "misguided". Both of them think that mandatory term limits would be worth it, I choose to err on their side. I think the point is that term limits keeps the hundreds of reps in congress from consolidating too much power and forces them to find other employment and go home. "people change when they get to Washington" -- because they never plan on having to go back.

Pauls' Revere
03-04-2018, 09:54 AM

I would guarantee the loss of one good politician if it means that two bad ones lose as well. Assuming as you said the good guys are outnumbered (whats good and bad is highly subjective). I think an 8 year term is plenty of time to serve in office. I'm certainly glad that Obama's time was up! An 8 year term is good enough for the presidential office it should be good enough elsewhere. Having a limit on a persons term doesn't mean they cannot stop serving in government. They can do a term in congress, then the senate, then as president, then as postal worker...etc.

Another aspect is that term limits may help break up these political family dynasty's that we have now. The Clinton's, Bush's, Panetta's Trump's, and many others. This may in turn help squash nepotism/cronyism and bring at least some integrity back into the system. I do not consider term limits a magic bullet to solve all these issues but I think overall it would be a systemic step in the right direction.

You bring up a good point Re: Deep State and lobbyist etc. I would go after that from a different angle and place restrictions/penalties on both sides? perhaps that would help? Don't know much about the whole lobbying process to provide any useful input. Could we eliminate lobbying altogether? make it illegal? and still have term limits?

nikcers
03-04-2018, 09:58 AM
Yeah, two guys that have actually worked in and around DC and know more about it than you are "misguided". Both of them think that mandatory term limits would be worth it, I choose to err on their side. I think the point is that term limits keeps the hundreds of reps in congress from consolidating too much power and forces them to find other employment and go home. "people change when they get to Washington" -- because they never plan on having to go back.
He won't change his mind he thinks that politician is a noble career choice. This is why we can't have small government, because people can't understand that politicians need to have real job experiences so they can truly understand the people who live under the laws they write.

specsaregood
03-04-2018, 10:05 AM
He won't change his mind he thinks that politician is a noble career choice. This is why we can't have small government, because people can't understand that politicians need to have real job experiences so they can truly understand the people who live under the laws they write.

The most intriguing aspect of imposing mandatory term limits on congress in my opinion is how it would force a complete rework of how the real power positions in congress are handed out. Speakers, whips, committee chairs, the real powers that controls the bills. All those positions are handed out for the most part on seniority, term limits would have to completely change that.

nikcers
03-04-2018, 10:08 AM
I would guarantee the loss of one good politician if it means that two bad ones lose as well.
That's the part I don't understand about him- the thing I like most about the Paul's is that they don't want political power they want to cede the power back to the people because they don't think that the government should be big enough to have any influence to sell that no one man has a monopoly on knowledge. SS seems to think that political power just needs better management, if we just get a better manager it will solve all the problems and that if someone has a monopoly on knowledge they should be able to be a career politician.

nikcers
03-04-2018, 10:10 AM
The most intriguing aspect of imposing mandatory term limits on congress in my opinion is how it would force a complete rework of how the real power positions in congress are handed out. Speakers, whips, committee chairs, the real powers that controls the bills. All those positions are handed out for the most part on seniority, term limits would have to completely change that.
Just what we need is 100 more years of Mitch McConnell's leadership. Drain the swamp? What swamp are you talking about?

nikcers
03-04-2018, 10:21 AM
Cue danno in 3...2...1...
See and I thought Dannno was going to make some kind of argument like this:

Its probable that Trump said it sardonically- seeing how the sausage is made makes you cynical. Like during the CPAC speech about "they" coming after your second amendment rights. He is saying in so many words in the only way that he can that you guys are so fucking stupid you are going to let them take away your guns and get rid of term limits.

acptulsa
03-04-2018, 10:27 AM
SS seems to think that political power just needs better management, if we just get a better manager it will solve all the problems and that if someone has a monopoly on knowledge they should be able to be a career politician.

Isn't that what the liberals keep saying...?

nikcers
03-04-2018, 10:32 AM
Isn't that what the liberals keep saying...?
The whole idea of career politician is whats wrong with Washington. As soon as they get elected they start campaigning for their re-election instead of doing their job. They have the wrong incentives you have to give a man more incentives for him to do the right thing then the wrong thing otherwise they will always prioritize keeping their job over the good of the country.

Pauls' Revere
03-04-2018, 03:11 PM
The whole idea of career politician is whats wrong with Washington. As soon as they get elected they start campaigning for their re-election instead of doing their job. They have the wrong incentives you have to give a man more incentives for him to do the right thing then the wrong thing otherwise they will always prioritize keeping their job over the good of the country.

First, the term would have to be long enough that said person would even give a dam about getting something done. I would like to see some kind of merit based system perhaps based on some metric? number of bills passed/reduced? amount of debt reduced? taxes saved? something.

How would we build that?

Swordsmyth
03-04-2018, 03:34 PM
I would guarantee the loss of one good politician if it means that two bad ones lose as well. Assuming as you said the good guys are outnumbered (whats good and bad is highly subjective). I think an 8 year term is plenty of time to serve in office. I'm certainly glad that Obama's time was up! An 8 year term is good enough for the presidential office it should be good enough elsewhere. Having a limit on a persons term doesn't mean they cannot stop serving in government. They can do a term in congress, then the senate, then as president, then as postal worker...etc.

Another aspect is that term limits may help break up these political family dynasty's that we have now. The Clinton's, Bush's, Panetta's Trump's, and many others. This may in turn help squash nepotism/cronyism and bring at least some integrity back into the system. I do not consider term limits a magic bullet to solve all these issues but I think overall it would be a systemic step in the right direction.

You bring up a good point Re: Deep State and lobbyist etc. I would go after that from a different angle and place restrictions/penalties on both sides? perhaps that would help? Don't know much about the whole lobbying process to provide any useful input. Could we eliminate lobbying altogether? make it illegal? and still have term limits?

You can't get rid of lobbyists because people have a right to petition their government, if you tried it would only hurt groups like GOA etc. while the oligarchs would lobby under the table through private contacts and friendships.

r3volution 3.0
03-04-2018, 07:48 PM
Uh oh, Rev 3 might be a Trump supporter now...

I've said this before:

1) A life-term president is not a monarch (very different incentives; the former has to share power and his office is not hereditary)

2) That said, a life-term presidency could very well evolve into a monarchy, but to pull this off (i.e. overcome the opposition in order to both eliminate rival governmental institutions and transform the executive office into an hereditary one) the president would have be highly competent, which, needless to say, disqualifies Trump. An established monarchy can bear an incompetent windbag king, but if an incompetent windbag is the first of the line, he'll very likely be the last as well.

If anyone wants to continue on this topic, I suggest we take it to another thread so as not to derail.