PDA

View Full Version : Teen investigated for pro-gun Snapchat

Swordsmyth
03-01-2018, 11:46 PM
An Indiana mother says her 16-year-old son will not return to his high school as a result of the way he was treated over a Snapchat post featuring an AR-15 rifle.

https://s.abcnews.com/images/US/snapchat-assault-rifle-message2-ht-mem-180301_3x5_992.jpg

“It wasn’t a threat. It’s simply saying guns don’t kill people. People kill people. It’s the evil behind the gun. It’s not the gun itself,” Tabitha McKeeman, Marcus’ mother, told ABC affiliate WRTV (https://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/owen-county/16-year-old-causes-concern-following-what-he-calls-a-pro-gun-message-on-snapchat).
“I posted it because I thought it was funny and because it was pro-gun,” Marcus added.

Superintendent Chad Briggs confirmed that the Spencer Police Department was notified to the post and searched Marcus’ home. They found only a pellet rifle and concluded there was no threat behind Marcus’ post, according to WRTV.
“It was more a freedom of speech type thing and this student had no intent to do anything negative,” Briggs told ABC News. “As a result, there was no discipline administered to any student.”
Even so, the teen told WRTV people are now calling him a school shooter.
“The whole town of Spencer and the school look at me like a psycho. I get dirty looks at work. Everywhere I go, I get dirty looks,” Marcus said.
McKeeman told ABC News other students threatened to jump Marcus if he returned to school and that she made the decision to take him out of school because the principal declined to send a letter to parents and teachers notifying them that Marcus posed no threat.

More at: http://abcnews.go.com/US/teen-investigated-pro-gun-snapchat-school-psycho/story?id=53439464

acptulsa
03-02-2018, 07:40 AM
The cops must have known the caller was just being hysterical over nothing, or they'd have at least shot his dog.

The question is, why does abc news, or anyone else, consider this newsworthy? If they can't eliminate the First Amendment, at least they can suppress free speech by using scare tactics? Don't post funny and effective memes lampooning the propaganda, or you'll be investigated and shunned! Boogity!

Michael Landon
03-02-2018, 04:57 PM
So, let me get this straight.... A 16 year old exercised his 1st Amendment protected, unalienable right by stating his support for the 2nd Amendment and this led to a search of his home by government officials. Do I have that right?

Apparently exercising your 1st Amendment rights to defend your 2nd Amendment rights will lead to a violation of your 4th Amendment rights by police officers who swore an oath to uphold the Constitutional Rights of all citizens. Anyone else see a problem with this?

- ML

Where is Paul Revere when you need him?

pcosmar
03-02-2018, 05:46 PM
So, let me get this straight.... A 16 year old exercised his 1st Amendment protected, unalienable right by stating his support for the 2nd Amendment and this led to a search of his home by government officials. Do I have that right?

Apparently exercising your 1st Amendment rights to defend your 2nd Amendment rights will lead to a violation of your 4th Amendment rights by police officers who swore an oath to uphold the Constitutional Rights of all citizens. Anyone else see a problem with this?

- ML

Yup,, that's it in a nutshell.

nice to see ya

TheTexan
03-02-2018, 05:55 PM

- ML

It's fine. Tweets affect inter-state commerce, which made their search constitutional