PDA

View Full Version : FL Lawmakers Say NO To ‘Assault Weapons’ Ban, Say YES To Armed Teachers

seapilot
03-01-2018, 08:35 PM
http://concealednation.org/2018/02/fl-lawmakers-say-no-to-assault-weapons-ban-say-yes-to-armed-teachers/

Florida’s Senate Rules Committee spent hours deciding what to include, and what not to include, in their amendments for a package of bills that looks to help curb incidents like deadly school shootings and mentally ill people getting a hold of firearms.

The amendments have another step to go through, before finally being voted on.

Here is what the committee decided:

Will NOT ban semi-automatic ‘assault’ weapons, such as the AR-15 GOOD
Raise the legal age to 21-years-old in order to purchase and own a firearm BAD Since individuals are not considered responsible before 21 might as well make it easy and increase driving age, voting age, enlistment age to 21.
Approved legislation that would allow teachers to be armed at school Good
Gun confiscation from certain people with mental health issues Very Bad
The hottest debate has been circling the idea of teachers being armed on school grounds. Parents and students have expressed their concern, and seem to believe that a teacher will snap and start opening fire.

“It bothers me to think as a father of two young boys to tell them to not be aggressive to your teacher,” said Sen. Oscar Branynon (D-Miami Gardens).

The lawmaker told the Sun Sentinel that he and other black fathers across Florida will now have to include teachers when talking to their children about how to act around armed authority figures.

“Please don’t make it dangerous for children who look like my children to go to school,” he said.

Requirements would be put in place, and not every teacher would be able to carry a firearm. Similar to how a person obtains a concealed carry permit in Florida –and likely with additional requirements– a process would need to be completed in order for that teacher to carry.

These are educators who love what they do and love the children that they teach. Allowing them to carry on campus, especially those who carry firearms on a daily basis and have the training, is a solid decision in my eyes. These are folks who don’t carry on campus, simply because it’s illegal to do so. But, in their personal lives while outside of school, they carry their firearms with them — without incident.

I think this how the Federal stage might play out, Florida is ground zero and its more diverse politically than NJ.

Slave Mentality
03-01-2018, 09:17 PM
Gun confiscation from certain people with mental health issues.

I take back my concession to AF regarding the Rs being a shade better than Ds on the 2nd. Any difference is merely on the surface. Fuck em all.

nobody's_hero
03-02-2018, 09:58 AM
Reading that article I see why kids are so screwed up today.

“It bothers me to think as a father of two young boys to tell them to not be aggressive to your teacher,” said Sen. Oscar Branynon (D-Miami Gardens).

WTF? Teaching your kids to act with a modicum of decency around adults "bothers" you, senator? Until this law, it was okay to be aggressive in the class. I guess now they've ruined it for black kids, eh senator Racebaiter?

Raginfridus
03-02-2018, 10:07 AM
You realize nothing has been voted on, according to the article?

specsaregood
03-02-2018, 10:28 AM

WTF? Teaching your kids to act with a modicum of decency around adults "bothers" you, senator? Until this law, it was okay to be aggressive in the class. I guess now they've ruined it for black kids, eh senator Racebaiter?

I know, that same quote stood out to me as well.

Swordsmyth
03-02-2018, 02:08 PM

I know, that same quote stood out to me as well.

Me too, my guess is that he encouraged his kids to intimidate "whitey" and now he is worried because an armed society is a polite society.

XNavyNuke
03-02-2018, 06:34 PM
Florida teachers union demand free-fire killing zones, opposes Brevard county sheriff.

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/2018/03/01/brevard-teachers-union-administrators-group-speak-against-arming-school-employees/385578002/

Anthony Colucci, vice president of the Brevard teachers union, echoed Shiffrin's concerns, calling the sheriff's proposal "insanity." He said even with the school board's approval, teachers' contracts would have to be amended.

The contract currently states, "Teachers shall not carry weapons of any kind either lethal or non-lethal." Any changes to the teacher contract have to be negotiated by the union and district officials.

XNN

nobody's_hero
03-02-2018, 07:52 PM
A FLORIDA TODAY poll of 1,880 responses found that 54 percent of people agreed with the sheriff's plan and 46 percent disagreed.

Well that's hopeful.