PDA

View Full Version : July 8, 2004: Warning that Terrorists May Plot to Disrupt US Presidential Elections

derdy
12-12-2007, 12:05 AM
Don't forget, lest history it repeat itself.

Funny thing is, I was still a mindless neocon when this happened. I was still an information junkie at the time and this was buried in the memory banks:

July 8, 2004: Warning that Terrorists May Plot to Disrupt US Presidential Elections
Deforest B. Soaries Jr. [Source: MSNBC]On July 6, John Kerry names John Edwards as his running mate. [Rolling Stone, 9/21/2006 ] This produces a slight increase in the opinion polls and a media focus on the Kerry campaign. [MSNBC, 6/4/2007] Two days later, Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge warns that “Al-Qaeda is moving forward with its plans to carry out a large-scale attack in the United States in an effort to disrupt our democratic process.” [Department of Homeland Security, 7/8/2004] Officials cite “alarming” intelligence about a possible al-Qaeda strike inside the United States this fall and admit they are reviewing a proposal that could allow for the postponement of the November presidential election in the event of an attack. Officials point to the recent Madrid train bombings as an attempt by al-Qaeda to influence the political process in a democratic nation (see March 11, 2004). Intercepted chatter leads one analyst to say “they want to interfere with the elections.” It is reported that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) recently asked the Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel to analyze the necessary legal steps that would permit the postponement of the election were an attack to take place. [Newsweek, 7/19/2004] The head of the US Election Assistance Commission, Deforest B. Soaries Jr., confirms he has written to Tom Ridge to discuss this prospect. [MSNBC, 6/4/2007] Soaries notes that, while a primary election in New York on September 11, 2001, was suspended by the state Board of Elections after the attacks, “the federal government has no agency that has the statutory authority to cancel and reschedule a federal election.” Soaries advises Ridge to seek emergency legislation from Congress that would grant such power to the DHS. DHS spokesman Brian Roehrkasse says, “We are reviewing the issue to determine what steps need to be taken to secure the election.” [Newsweek, 7/19/2004] A top European spy says of the threat: “I am aware of no intelligence, nothing that shows there will be an attack before the US presidential election.” No attack materializes and no further information on the threat is presented to the public. [Rolling Stone, 9/21/2006 ]
Entity Tags: John Kerry, Deforest B. Soaries Jr., Brian Roehrkasse, US Election Assistance Commission, John Edwards, Tom Ridge
Timeline Tags: Complete 911 Timeline

Artile here with links to sources (http://www.cooperativeresearch.org/context.jsp?item=a041504tothepeoplesofeurope) 3rd dated-article from the bottom of the page.

derdy
12-12-2007, 12:43 AM
No one finds this interesting? lol I knew I should've just posted this in grassroots! *shakes fist at the sky for abiding by forum guidelines!* ;)

TheIndependent
12-12-2007, 12:45 AM
Oh, no, I know what you mean. Fear is what keeps people down, and it's about time we turned on their alarm clock. ;)

Richandler
12-12-2007, 01:10 AM
When we invade a country that had weapons of mass destruction and they didn't use these weapons against the most powerful army in the world in hopes of at least making a stand, I knew this was all bullcrap. They won't issue any warnings like this anymore. They tried this earlier in the year and they have realized it is completely failing. The new tactic, global warming, is currently owned by the Democrats.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
12-12-2007, 01:14 AM
I would not be shocked to see them try this again during the election cycle. The thing is though that while it may scare some people awat I highly doubt it would sway any of us to not go. They would literally have to nuke my town for me to not go cst my vote for Dr. Paul and even then I would probably still try.

derdy
12-12-2007, 01:24 AM
I would not be shocked to see them try this again during the election cycle. The thing is though that while it may scare some people awat I highly doubt it would sway any of us to not go. They would literally have to nuke my town for me to not go cst my vote for Dr. Paul and even then I would probably still try.

It's not to'scare' people to keep them at home.

It's a perceived threat or attack (see Iran) that allows the government to cancel the elections whether you want them to go on or not. This clearly shows they were prepared to.

entropy
12-12-2007, 07:14 AM
Remember during the 04 elections how Fox news kept updating the terror meter. It was on all the time. terror level now orange...terror level now yellow and so on and so forth. What happened to that terror meter after the elections?

Kingfisher
12-12-2007, 08:06 AM
Remember during the 04 elections how Fox news kept updating the terror meter. It was on all the time. terror level now orange...terror level now yellow and so on and so forth. What happened to that terror meter after the elections?

Our Hero got elected, which eleminated the terror threat.Yay !

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
12-12-2007, 08:14 AM
I know that it was primarily used as a game of psychological warfare aimed at the American voter, trying to convince us all that boogeyman bin laden was hiding around every corner waiting to get us. My reasoning for them using it now would be to try to scare off voters like us. I am sure they would LOVE to think up a way to try to get us all to stay home.