PDA

View Full Version : California Governor Signs Legislation Preventing Teachers from Shooting if Attacked

seapilot
02-26-2018, 01:30 PM
Can California leftist politicians get anymore stupid?

https://www.securitymagazine.com/articles/88399-california-governor-signs-legislation-ensuring-teachers-cant-shoot-back-if-attacked

California Gov. Jerry Brown signed a bill that says that teachers cannot shoot back if they come under attack at school.

The bill, AB 424, was introduced by Assemblyman Kevin McCarty (D-Sacramento).

California state law already prohibited civilians who are not school workers from bringing firearms onto campuses, but a change in the law last year gave school district superintendents power to decide if employees could bring concealed weapons onto campuses, reported the LA Times.

McCarty introduced the bill after five California school districts chose to allow teachers and/or staff with concealed carry permits to be armed on campus to defend themselves and their students. The five districts were Kern High School District, Kingsburg Joint Union High School District, Folsom Cordova Unified School District, Anderson Union High School District, and Palo Cedro’s North Cow Creek School District.

The measure, AB 424, was opposed by groups advocating for gun owners including the National Rifle Assn. and the Firearms Policy Coalition, said the LA Times, which reported that there have been no shootings involving California school employees who brought guns to campuses.

Critics of the new measure said it will leave school staffers helpless to stop an armed intruder on school grounds.

“You’re taking away the ability to protect our children,” said Republican Assemblyman Devon Mathis of Visalia. “People with concealed carry weapons are trained and schools are already soft targets.”

shakey1
02-26-2018, 02:05 PM
https://gadgetflowcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Sitting-duck-clothes-pegs-04.jpg

acptulsa
02-26-2018, 02:47 PM
'At least I lived long enough for you tinpot tyrants to prosecute me.'--California teacher.

Anti Federalist
02-26-2018, 02:51 PM
'At least I lived long enough for you tinpot tyrants to prosecute me.'--California teacher.

Better to be convicted by twelve than carried by six.

Anti Federalist
02-26-2018, 02:54 PM
California state law already prohibited civilians

As opposed to whom?

An occupying military force?

Because, other than that, we're all "civilians", including asshole coward cops, no matter how much military paraphernalia or titles they wish to festoon themselves with.

Dr.3D
02-26-2018, 03:00 PM
Could it be he's afraid a cop will get shot while doing a drill using blanks?

I wonder if they do fire drills by lighting a trash can on fire too.

Swordsmyth
02-26-2018, 03:00 PM
Better to be convicted by twelve than carried by six.

You must spread some reputation around.......

Swordsmyth
02-26-2018, 03:01 PM
CALExit

nobody's_hero
02-26-2018, 05:24 PM
I'm guessing this law will affect no one because I seriously doubt there's one California teacher who would dare touch one of those icky guns anyway.

otherone
02-26-2018, 05:32 PM
I'm guessing this law will affect no one because I seriously doubt there's one California teacher who would dare touch one of those icky guns anyway.

http://www.ppic.org/content/images/PoliticalGeogFigure-4_web.png

spudea
02-26-2018, 05:34 PM
why are you posting something from October of last year like its new? And why did the site you linked deliberately change the wording of the story as "preventing teachers from shooting if attacked"? Its a poor copy paste from the LA times as the real source and the law "remove the rights of school administrators to decide whether employees with concealed weapon permits can bring guns on campus."

So its not as is teachers who are armed cannot shoot back, its that they can't be armed in the first place.

dannno
02-26-2018, 05:44 PM

You'd be surprised, you would probably feel right at home in a lot of places in CA. Probably not the urban areas, or the rural areas that were over-run by homeless people from Oakland like Stockton.. But you gotta pay the taxes and shit, so if I'm going to live in CA I'm going to live right near the beach. BOOIIIIIIII

nobody's_hero
02-26-2018, 09:28 PM
http://www.ppic.org/content/images/PoliticalGeogFigure-4_web.png

General voters, perhaps. If anyone believes that there's a conservative teacher in a classroom in California, I've got a 50-round drum magazine that fits a musket I'd like to sell you, lol.

All I'm saying is that passing a law preventing people from doing something they'd never do anyway, is the epitome of 'feel good legislation.' But, that's what Governor Brown is known for.

oyarde
02-26-2018, 09:37 PM
Get back with me when california legislators sign a bill that every legislator must challenge another to a duel .

XNavyNuke
02-26-2018, 09:49 PM
As opposed to whom?

An occupying military force?

Because, other than that, we're all "civilians", including $#@! coward cops, no matter how much military paraphernalia or titles they wish to festoon themselves with.

I would up vote but I need to spread some reputation around.

XNN

Zippyjuan
02-26-2018, 09:55 PM
Summary for the actual bill: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180AB424

AB 424, McCarty. Possession of a firearm in a school zone.

Existing law makes it a crime to possess a firearm in a place that the person knows, or reasonably should know, is a school zone, unless it is with the written permission of the school district superintendent, his or her designee, or equivalent school authority.

This bill would delete the authority of a school district superintendent, his or her designee, or equivalent school authority to provide written permission for a person to possess a firearm within a school zone. By expanding the scope of a crime, the bill would create a state-mandated local program. The bill would exempt from that crime the activities of a program involving shooting sports or activities that are sanctioned by a school, school district, college, university, or other governing body of the institution, as specified, and the activities of a certified hunter education program, as specified. The bill would make other conforming changes to related provisions.

The California Constitution requires the state to reimburse local agencies and school districts for certain costs mandated by the state. Statutory provisions establish procedures for making that reimbursement.

This bill would provide that no reimbursement is required by this act for a specified reason.

More details at the link.

Under "exemptions":

When the person possessing the firearm reasonably believes that he or she is in grave danger because of circumstances forming the basis of a current restraining order issued by a court against another person or persons who has or have been found to pose a threat to his or her life or safety. This subdivision does not apply when the circumstances involve a mutual restraining order issued pursuant to Division 10 (commencing with Section 6200) of the Family Code absent a factual finding of a specific threat to the person’s life or safety. Upon a trial for violating subdivision (b), the trier of a fact shall determine whether the defendant was acting out of a reasonable belief that he or she was in grave danger.

This means they can shoot back if attacked.

They can be brought on campus if in a locked container:

(2) When the firearm is an unloaded pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person and is in a locked container or within the locked trunk of a motor vehicle.

dannno
02-26-2018, 10:20 PM
General voters, perhaps. If anyone believes that there's a conservative teacher in a classroom in California, I've got a 50-round drum magazine that fits a musket I'd like to sell you, lol.

All I'm saying is that passing a law preventing people from doing something they'd never do anyway, is the epitome of 'feel good legislation.' But, that's what Governor Brown is known for.

There are conservative teachers in California, look at Orange County.. Plenty of places with majority Republicans. The teachers are going to lean more liberal in those areas than the overall demographics, but they are out there. There are almost 40 million people in California.

Anti Federalist
02-26-2018, 10:49 PM
This means they can shoot back if attacked.

My reading of that says that you can only shoot back if the person you are shooting at is subject to a restraining order.

How are you supposed to determine that?

They can be brought on campus if in a locked container:

Which makes it relatively worthless.

dannno
02-26-2018, 10:56 PM
My reading of that says that you can only shoot back if the person you are shooting at is subject to a restraining order.

How are you supposed to determine that?

I suppose you could ask them nicely..