PDA

View Full Version : Starbucks customer buys coffee for the car behind her, sparking a 2-hour chain

Energy
12-11-2007, 11:43 PM
Starbucks customer buys coffee for the car behind her, starting a two-hour chain reaction of goodwill:

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=5419699&ch=4226720&src=news

You know what to do. "Courtesy of a Ron Paul supporter" or "Google Ron Paul." And get a bumper sticker. Do the same at toll booths.

tekkierich
12-11-2007, 11:46 PM
That is pretty cool. I think I will do that tomorrow.

dsentell
12-11-2007, 11:50 PM
This is a really neat idea! Think I'll try it!

hillertexas
bump

parke
try this for xmas cards too.. http://beatles.ncf.ca/index_page_war_is_over_07.jpg

Zydeco
12-11-2007, 11:54 PM
Uh, why is this somehow more admirable than everyone just buying their own coffee?

Liberty Star
12-11-2007, 11:55 PM
Cool idea.

Energy
12-11-2007, 11:58 PM
Uh, why is this somehow more admirable than everyone just buying their own coffee?

Someone can get $6 worth for themselves while paying only $2 for the car behind. The reverse can happen too, so it's about being exceptionally generous.

Laja
12-12-2007, 12:01 AM
Parke: Someone sent me the link for that Imagine Peace video of John Lennon and Yoko Ono and that card. What a great idea to use them for holiday cards. Brilliant! Watch this and weep. http://www.imaginepeace.com/ 27 years later and we still don't have peace, but we've got Ron Paul, our peace candidate.

literatim
12-12-2007, 12:07 AM
John Lennon was a commie.

LibertyEagle
12-12-2007, 12:10 AM
Parke: Someone sent me the link for that Imagine Peace video of John Lennon and Yoko Ono and that card. What a great idea to use them for holiday cards. Brilliant! Watch this and weep. http://www.imaginepeace.com/ 27 years later and we still don't have peace, but we've got Ron Paul, our peace candidate.

Terrible idea. Please don't associate Ron Paul with John Lennon and Yoko Ono.

Mark Rushmore
12-12-2007, 12:11 AM

I suppose the point is that there were no coffee-police needed to coerce friendly and caring behavior on behalf of the customers? A spontaneous and self-generating line of goodwill that lasts 2 hours is just one more reason to 'trust' your fellow citizens in a more free state. Think whatever you like ideologically - but there are plenty of people who do at some level balance social cohesion with state power - the more social cohesion proves itself present absent formalized regulations the better.

Laja
12-12-2007, 12:30 AM
What's with this hatred of John Lennon? He preached peace and love. I'd really like to know what your problem is with him.

Wingman
12-12-2007, 12:48 AM
YEA I WAS THERE

the guy in front driving a beat up VW beetle got a shock when he saw my MERCEDES 500SE LIMO CAMPERVAN behind him. Yea we ordered 30 frappucinos with double ice creams for the primary school footy team.

$500 muchachas!!!!

ps - we paid $2 for the lady behind us who ordered a latte.

robert4rp08
12-12-2007, 04:33 AM
YEA I WAS THERE

the guy in front driving a beat up VW beetle got a shock when he saw my MERCEDES 500SE LIMO CAMPERVAN behind him. Yea we ordered 30 frappucinos with double ice creams for the primary school footy team.

$500 muchachas!!!!

ps - we paid $2 for the lady behind us who ordered a latte.

lol... did he pay the $500?

apc3161
12-12-2007, 05:09 AM
I had never thought of doing that....cool idea.

Libertarian
12-12-2007, 05:19 AM
You should always do random acts of kindness like this, especially when your rear bumper is LOADED with Ron Paul stickers! :D

Joe3113
12-12-2007, 05:28 AM
Hmmmmm.......nice thing these media parrots can do.......let me see now.........ummm..............

HOW ABOUT STOPPING YOUR RON PAUL BLACKOUT AS ORDERED BY YOUR BILLIONAIRE MASTERS!!!!!!!!!

ValidusCustodiae
12-12-2007, 05:36 AM
Are there too many Starbucks?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9iMgSNrwv4

...screw Starbucks =)

JordanL
12-12-2007, 05:41 AM
Starbucks customer buys coffee for the car behind her, starting a two-hour chain reaction of goodwill:

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=5419699&ch=4226720&src=news

You know what to do. "Courtesy of a Ron Paul supporter" or "Google Ron Paul." And get a bumper sticker. Do the same at toll booths.

Me and my Ex would do this whenever we went through a toll booth. We'd always pay the tolld behind us... I never quite new how long that would last though. I somehow expect that it didn't last this long.

Razmear
12-12-2007, 06:12 AM
OK. I gotta call bullshit on this story. This would work for toll booths, cuz everyone pays the same, but how did people for two hours know how much the guy behind him was spending on their coffee? The video shows a single window drive thru system, and you can't assume that the drivethru was non stop for 2 hours, so something is fishy.

eb

johngr
12-12-2007, 06:19 AM
I suppose the point is that there were no coffee-police needed to coerce friendly and caring behavior on behalf of the customers?

If anything, the "coffee police" would arrest people for behaving like that.

Libertarian
12-12-2007, 06:35 AM
OK. I gotta call bullshit on this story. This would work for toll booths, cuz everyone pays the same, but how did people for two hours know how much the guy behind him was spending on their coffee? The video shows a single window drive thru system, and you can't assume that the drivethru was non stop for 2 hours, so something is fishy.

eb

It's not BS...The starbucks has a speaker around the corner. All busy locations have an order system like Mcdonalds, where you order first, then pay when you get to the window. The cashier already knows what the next few people in line ordered when it is your turn to pay.

CrazyRonPaulSupporter
12-12-2007, 06:45 AM
I was working at Starbucks for 4 yrs. Let me tell you, they can have the worst customers. Coffee is a drug, remember. All the years I worked there no one was that friendly, not even close. I have seen tons of people fight in line though, using harsh language too. And I've talked to many Starbucks employees at different location too, and the stories are the same. 10 - 20% of their customers are really friendly and have patiance, but the rest can be true assholes. Stealing the tips, and if you don't made their drink 2 seconds after they had ordered they give you hell and even call you names sometimes. That happened to everybody, if I got a dollar everytime I would have seen that I would be a rich man. So I would say that this story is pretty much bullshit, for 2 hrs, that would most likely be impossible at a place like Starbucks. Corporate propaganda at its finest. Have you ever heard of a drug addict pay for another drug addict. I didn't think so......

Well, I quit there because they became a more and more greedy corporation killing all the mom and paps coffee shops using maffia like methods. The quality of their coffee has gone done significantly during the years I worked there. I would say support a local coffee shop instead........Just my 2 cents.....

But hey, it's a nice story and the sense moral is great! Start to care about each other, that is a good thing indeed!!

GeorgiaRPFan
12-12-2007, 06:45 AM
Yeah, Starbucks is actively pushing this idea, it's not like the customer started it. I just went through the drivethru at my local Starbucks and got the whole pay for the guy behind you speil. Of course I did since my order was 7 bucks and the guy behind me was 4 bucks. At some point, probably when someone has a huge order the person in front doesn't want to pay for, someone gets a "free" coffee paid for by the person in front.

jgmaynard
12-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Parke: Someone sent me the link for that Imagine Peace video of John Lennon and Yoko Ono and that card. 27 years later and we still don't have peace, but we've got Ron Paul, our peace candidate.

I thought earlier of reviving those old black-on-white "War is Over (if you want it)" billboards, but didn't mention it cause I thought it would be too retro.

JM

Rex
12-12-2007, 11:29 AM
great ideas!

Highstreet
12-12-2007, 11:31 AM

Great!! Keep it up!

jondisx
12-12-2007, 11:35 AM
I thought earlier of reviving those old black-on-white "War is Over (if you want it)" billboards, but didn't mention it cause I thought it would be too retro.

JM

do it

Revolution9
12-12-2007, 11:44 AM

Whose artistic work with The Beatles nearly single-handedly started the anti-war movement and severely hobbled the full takeover of the US by the military-industrial complex..the same one that manufactured the hegelian dialectic of communism.

HTH
Randy.

Revolution9
12-12-2007, 11:45 AM

eb

Starbucks propaganda. I hope they bought their pals a GMO muffin as well.

Best
Randy

kylejack
12-12-2007, 11:55 AM

eb
The clerk tells them what the person behind owes, from when they ordered at the speaker. And yes, you can assume a steady stream of customers at a Starbucks in an urban area.

axiomata
12-12-2007, 12:02 PM
I've heard of pay it forward, is this pay it backward?

adpierce
12-12-2007, 12:08 PM

So was Lenin

maeqFREEDOMfree
12-12-2007, 12:10 PM
this is a great idea... especially for communities like mine (metro-detroit) where you're more likely to be flipped the bird than you are someone doing something nice for no reason haha.

stagger with your friends in seperate cars... ask the cashier to ive the car behind you some lit when they pull up to pay.. have fun with this! sounds really cool thanks for sharing!