PDA

View Full Version : News from Iowa - Des Moines Debate

Dave
12-11-2007, 11:02 PM
I'm coming up for air to post some News from Iowa - then back to work!

First - remember my sign in July?

http://photos4.meetupstatic.com/photos/event/4/2/8/a/event_1757034.jpeg

Here's how it looks today:

http://photos4.meetupstatic.com/photos/event/1/9/3/a/event_2766458.jpeg

But enough small talk about the weather...

The Des Moines Register debate is Wednesday (12/12) at 1:00 CST. I have no idea why this is in the middle of the day. Hopefully some RP faithful will make it to the debate to show support outside the studio.

The venue is small - it's in the Maytag Auditorium at Iowa Public TV. I've been there and it seems like it would hold around 400. Much to my surprise, after several phone calls I was able to get a ticket late today (not from the RP campaign).

I’d call RP’s stage position average – a bit better than past debates. 9 candidates will be there, including Keyes.

Look for attacks on Huckabee now that he’s pulling away from the pack. He has way too much traction for people to ignore now. Today I received my 2nd anti-Huckabee piece in the mail from Thompson. It says “Huckabee University*…Illegals Welcome…*US citizens need not apply”. The inside looks like a pair of doors and quotes Huckabee “Let’s open both our doors and our opportunities…”. The inside features Huckabee’s history on scholarships to illegals and requiring no proof of citizenship for public benefits and to vote. There’s some more details and quotes and then some pro-Thompson stuff. It says “Mike Huckabee talks like a Republican but governs like a Democrat”.

Just today I got an automated call for Romney. It was the voice of a woman from Arkansas (don’t recall her name/position/whatever) that spoke about how much Huckabee raised taxes there and how soft he was on illegal immigration.

I’ve received several pieces of Ron Paul mail. I love to get them and find it motivating.

RP was interviewed on a big Omaha/Council Bluffs radio station tonight before the rally in Council Bluffs. Western Iowa missed much of the ice so I hope they have a nice turnout. I’m anxious to see how many we get for the rally after the debate at the Iowa State Fairgrounds.

RP supporters from all over the country have been showing up at Iowa HQ to help the campaign – some for a few days, some for a few weeks. Nobody is running out of things to do. The caucuses are barely 3 weeks away and we have 2 big holidays in that time. HQ is a beehive of activity – the pulse is quickening and everyone is alert and can feel the urgency. The energy and determination are impressive and the teamwork and sense of kinship among strangers and near-strangers putting everything they have toward a common goal is something I’ll never forget. It’s gut-check time.

Back to work!

JordanL
12-11-2007, 11:06 PM
This is inspiring!

I think with this new push, we can aim for third, and hope for a win!

0zzy
12-11-2007, 11:12 PM
I love it, great read! Thanks.

Debate with Keyes though? Gay. Ron Paul needs MORE time not LESS! :[

MGreen
12-11-2007, 11:18 PM
Though it may make the experience a bit miserable for you, I hope to see more of that snow in Iowa on caucus day. ;) How many Giuliani or Thompson fans are going to trek through that to vote?

0zzy
12-11-2007, 11:20 PM
Though it may make the experience a bit miserable for you, I hope to see more of that snow in Iowa on caucus day. ;) How many Giuliani or Thompson fans are going to trek through that to vote?

Exactly.

ALSO - I can't find the debate on my tele. :[ (schedule) for PBS, CSPAN, CNN, I can't find! :[

daviddee
12-11-2007, 11:30 PM

reduen
12-11-2007, 11:32 PM
Good luck Dave! Be safe..

Ron Paul Fan
12-11-2007, 11:33 PM
Exactly.

ALSO - I can't find the debate on my tele. :[ (schedule) for PBS, CSPAN, CNN, I can't find! :[

Fox News is showing it nation wide.

Dave
12-12-2007, 01:11 AM
It will last 90 minutes and be moderated by Carolyn Washburn, the editor of the Register.

Jobarra
12-12-2007, 01:15 AM
Would this be the same newspaper that wanted to exclude Dr. Paul because he didn't visit Iowa as many times as Tancredo? If so, then I expect the same as usual except Rudy and Romney will be attacking Huckabee instead of each other. Dr. Paul will be given minimalist questions that he will still knock out of the park. LOL, when he makes it through to the general election and they start asking him real questions about the economy, he is going to tear the opponents apart.

Joby
12-12-2007, 01:17 AM
I'm expecting about 5 minutes for paul, and 20 for huck, romney, and giuliani each.

Anyhow, the more snow on the ground January 3rd, the better.

Ron Paul Fan
12-12-2007, 01:24 AM
Here's what I think the speaking time distribution will be:

Mitt Romney: 20 minutes
Mike Huckabee: 15 minutes
Rudy Giuilani: 15 minutes
Fred Thompson: 15 minutes
John McCain: 13 minutes
Tom Tancredo: 9 minutes
Duncan Hunter: 6 minutes
Alan Keyes: 5 minutes
Ron Paul: -3 minutes

ronpaulyourmom
12-12-2007, 01:27 AM
Thanks for the update.

saahmed
12-12-2007, 02:07 AM
Dave, do you work for the campaign, or are you at least at Iowa HQ every once in a while? Do you know what their plans are for TV ads in E. Iowa? I have only seen one TV ad for Paul and it was about 3 weeks ago. In the meantime I have seen a lot of Huck, and a couple Tancredo ads. I think the campaign needs to spend a little more money there. For those who want to pitch in, donate to operationnh.com (http://www.operationnh.com) for an ad buy in E. Iowa.

Dave
12-12-2007, 08:46 AM
Dave, do you work for the campaign, or are you at least at Iowa HQ every once in a while? Do you know what their plans are for TV ads in E. Iowa? I have only seen one TV ad for Paul and it was about 3 weeks ago. In the meantime I have seen a lot of Huck, and a couple Tancredo ads. I think the campaign needs to spend a little more money there. For those who want to pitch in, donate to operationnh.com (http://www.operationnh.com) for an ad buy in E. Iowa.

I don't work for the campaign - just a volunteer. I don't know about tv ads - sorry!

Ethek
12-12-2007, 08:50 AM
Hows involved in the debate? Is anyone also involved with the Ron Paul special this Friday? I'd like to see PBS pump this up.

Patrick Henry
12-12-2007, 09:06 AM
Will this debate be on www.c-span.org ?

shadowhooch
12-12-2007, 09:17 AM
Yikes! 9 candidates in a 90 minute debate.

Sounds like Ron Paul might get 2 questions and have 30 seconds to answer them. What a waste of time.:( (This is why it would be good to take Glenn Beck up on his offer. At least Ron Paul could have some back and forth for a full hour).

And this is the last of the debates for this year right? Well folks, the rest is on us then. Get the word out every day in every way. I really really hope all these polls are WAY off.:confused: