PDA

View Full Version : End lifetime health care and other perks for members of Congress, 2 lawmakers propose

Swordsmyth
02-12-2018, 02:24 AM
U.S. Rep. Ralph Norman of Rock Hill and another legislator are looking to end lifetime health care and other benefits for themselves and hundreds of other members of Congress.
Norman and U.S. Rep. Ro Khanna introduced the Stop Congressional Retirees’ Accessing Perks — or SCRAP — Act. The bill would end some lifetime benefits to members of Congress, from health care to legislative access.
Norman is a South Carolina Republican, representing the 5th Congressional District. Khanna is a California Democrat. Both were elected to their respective first terms since last summer.
“Members of Congress are elected to serve their constituents, not to reap numerous perks for the rest of their lives once they leave office,” Norman said in a statement. “Most Americans do not have similar lifetime benefits when they leave their job.”

Lifetime benefits aren’t just about the fiscal cost, according to Norman.
“Retired members still have the same amount of access throughout the capitol complex, and over 430 former members of Congress are now lobbyists, representing special interest groups — giving them special, direct contact to sitting members writing legislation,” he said.
Norman said: “Lifetime access to this exclusive circle keeps them in that circle, and distances former members from the experiences of everyday Americans.”

More at: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/article199578304.html

tod evans
02-12-2018, 05:10 AM
Hmmmmmm,

Wonder how this vote will go? :rolleyes:

ILUVRP
02-12-2018, 06:51 AM
there will never be a vote on this .

shakey1
02-12-2018, 09:32 AM
End lifetime health care and other perks for members of Congress, 2 lawmakers propose

:rolleyes:

specsaregood
02-12-2018, 09:35 AM
Hmmmmmm,
Wonder how this vote will go? :rolleyes:

It is almost like this stuff should be left up to a vote by their employers. I never had a non-self employed job that let me decide how much I was to be paid and benefits.

kcchiefs6465
02-12-2018, 10:09 AM
It is almost like this stuff should be left up to a vote by their employers. I never had a non-self employed job that let me decide how much I was to be paid and benefits.
They should be restricted to VA hospitals and their pensions ought to be reinvested in their vision. Maybe to National Parks maintenance, digging holes, or launching a rocket to space.

phill4paul
02-12-2018, 10:11 AM

I'd really like to see the results of THAT ballot.

Swordsmyth
02-12-2018, 12:47 PM

I would like to see a Constitutional amendment to allow a national referendum for this and only this.

oyarde
02-12-2018, 01:03 PM
This absolutely should have already been done some time ago .

specsaregood
02-12-2018, 01:11 PM
I would like to see a Constitutional amendment to allow a national referendum for this and only this.

I'm going to run for office on this and my proposal to have a breathalyzer on the house/senate floors with a big scoreboard showing the BAC level for whomever is currently speaking/voting.

oyarde
02-12-2018, 01:13 PM
I will also buy a beer for whoever titled the SCRAP Act . Redeemable at muh local Catina off I 65 south of Indy .

bunklocoempire
02-12-2018, 01:21 PM

Ahhh, but this isn't about employment, it's about having a gun and pointing it at people to get what you want and justifying it.
You know, "serving" people.

Swordsmyth
02-12-2018, 01:28 PM
I'm going to run for office on this and my proposal to have a breathalyzer on the house/senate floors with a big scoreboard showing the BAC level for whomever is currently speaking/voting.

The scoreboard should also list any mind altering medications they are on or any medical conditions like Alzheimer's.

Pharmacist hints some Congress members have Alzheimer’s (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?515810-Pharmacist-hints-some-Congress-members-have-Alzheimer’s)