PDA

View Full Version : Missouri eliminates funding for police roadblocks;Several groups now lobbyng for reinstatement

NorthCarolinaLiberty
02-04-2018, 02:45 AM
Group urges Missouri state lawmakers to restore funding for DUI checkpoints

Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) National President Colleen Sheehey-Church and MADD Missouri volunteers are holding a gathering at the Rotunda of the state capitol in Jefferson City Tuesday at 11 a.m. to call on legislators to restore funding for sobriety checkpoints.

Last year, as part of the 2018 budgeting process, the legislature reduced funding for sobriety checkpoints to $1.

Appearing at the rally will be Republican State Representative Kathie Conway of St. Charles, Meghan Carter, Executive Director, MADD Missouri and Colleen Sheehey-Church, MADD National President.

“This (sobriety checkpoints) is an important law enforcement tool that serves as both a deterrent to anyone who might drink and drive and also to catch those who make the dangerous decision to drink and drive,” [False; see below. NCL] a statement from MADD said.

According to Missouri House Budget Committee Chairman Scott Fitzpatrick, drunk driving check-points were stripped of all but one dollar in the chamber’s budget for the current fiscal year because another tactic, saturation patrols, is more effective.

“Check points are becoming avoidable,” said Fitzpatrick. “There’s literally apps now that’ll tell people if there’s a check point anywhere. So they just drive around them. Saturation patrols get more people off the road. They cost less money per arrest.”

Fitzpatrick said saturation patrols also don’t violate 4th Amendment rights by stopping and searching people with no probable cause.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, a meta-analysis found that checkpoints reduce alcohol-related crashes by 17 percent, and all crashes by 10 to 15 percent [False; See below. NCL].

https://www.missourinet.com/2018/01/30/group-urges-missouri-state-lawmakers-to-restore-funding-for-dui-checkpoints/

The two claims highlighted in blue are false. Roadblocks neither result in deterrence, nor do they apprehend more people than real patrolling. I personally looked at the Centers for Disease Control analysis and subsequent claim that roadblocks result in reducing alcohol related crashes. This is also false. The studies did not distinguish between alcohol related versus alcohol unrelated crashes. The studies did not distinguish between roadblocks and saturation patrols. I made a thread about that below. I also include information on a proposed NH bill to eliminate roadblocks.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?519053-NH-proposes-bill-to-ban-roadblocks-I-wrote-legislators-w-rsrch-showing-roadblocks-don-t-work

//

Slave Mentality
02-04-2018, 06:53 AM
“Fitzpatrick said saturation patrols also don’t violate 4th Amendment rights by stopping and searching people with no probable cause.”

This should be the only discussion.

Origanalist
02-04-2018, 07:03 AM
“Fitzpatrick said saturation patrols also don’t violate 4th Amendment rights by stopping and searching people with no probable cause.”

This should be the only discussion.

In a sane world Fitzpatrick would be tarred, feathered, and run out on a rail.

phill4paul
02-04-2018, 07:16 AM
Good on ya, NCL! Preach it! +rep.

Edit: Damnit! You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to NorthCarolinaLiberty again.

Ender
02-04-2018, 08:43 AM

Edit: Damnit! You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to NorthCarolinaLiberty again.

Covered.

Anti Federalist
02-04-2018, 10:01 AM

Covered.

Fuck a bunch of MADD

Anti Federalist
02-04-2018, 10:05 AM
In a sane world Fitzpatrick would be tarred, feathered, and run out on a rail.

Ya got it bass-ackwards.

Fitz is arguing that checkpoints don't work and are bad because they violate the 4th.

Appearing at the rally will be Republican State Representative Kathie Conway of St. Charles, Meghan Carter, Executive Director, MADD Missouri and Colleen Sheehey-Church, MADD National President.

“This (sobriety checkpoints) is an important law enforcement tool that serves as both a deterrent to anyone who might drink and drive and also to catch those who make the dangerous decision to drink and drive,” [False; see below. NCL] a statement from MADD said.

These broads on the other hand...they should be put in stocks and have rotten eggs hurled at them.

RJB
02-04-2018, 10:16 AM
Madd, meet Ddamm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_NeGwLCbBs

Origanalist
02-04-2018, 10:24 AM
Ya got it bass-ackwards.

Fitz is arguing that checkpoints don't work and are bad because they violate the 4th.

These broads on the other hand...they should be put in stocks and have rotten eggs hurled at them.

I did get it somewhat backwards, you're right. However I'm not a real big fan of the idea of saturation patrols as a remedy for people figuring out how to avoid checkpoints either

Keith and stuff
02-04-2018, 10:43 AM
Good for Missouri lawmakers. But they were doing it wrong. They should have had the FED pay for the whole thing the whole time. I mean I'm glad it's done and all, but that wasn't great budgeting previously.

CCTelander
02-04-2018, 11:20 AM
Covered.

Fuck a bunch of MADD

"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Anti Federalist again."

Fuck MADD and all similar do-gooder organizations. Individual do-gooders too for that matter.

CCTelander
02-04-2018, 11:24 AM
I did get it somewhat backwards, you're right. However I'm not a real big fan of the idea of saturation patrols as a remedy for people figuring out how to avoid checkpoints either

I'm right there with you, brother. Freedom entails some risks. I'll take those risks over do-gooder imposed slavery any day.

Keith and stuff
02-04-2018, 11:47 AM
"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Anti Federalist again."

$#@! MADD and all similar do-gooder organizations. Individual do-gooders too for that matter.

Perhaps this organization is misnamed? DUI checkpoints do less to catch drunk drivers then police patrolling. So if this organization wanted to reduce drunk driving, or at least catch drunk drivers, it would encourage police to patrol, instead of all set up in one spot that is announced ahead of time in some way.

It's issues like this where these organizations reveal their true colors.

Swordsmyth
02-04-2018, 01:35 PM

Covered.

Anti Federalist
02-04-2018, 01:43 PM

No, of course not, neither am I.

Raginfridus
02-04-2018, 01:43 PM
Madd, meet Ddamm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_NeGwLCbBs
Yes, they want designated drunk driving lanes.

Anti Federalist
02-04-2018, 01:46 PM
I'm right there with you, brother. Freedom entails some risks. I'll take those risks over do-gooder imposed slavery any day.

Can't post this quote enough:

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good, will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.” ― C.S. Lewis

oyarde
02-04-2018, 02:44 PM
As far as I am concerned checkpoints are nothing less than declaring war on citizens . I avoid them .