PDA

View Full Version : Chinese solar panel manufacturer announces plan to open factory in the US

GunnyFreedom
01-30-2018, 03:43 PM
Credit where credit is due.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/26510/stable-genius-trump-jacks-tariffs-solar-panels-ryan-saavedra#

Trump Jacks Up Tariffs On Solar Panels. Here's How China Responded.
Manufacturing continues to boom under Trump . . .

By RYAN SAAVEDRA
January 30, 2018 319.8k views

Just one week after the Trump administration announced a massive 30% tariff on imported solar panels, one of China's largest solar panel manufacturers announced plans to open a manufacturing plant in the United States.

The company, JinkoSolar, said on Monday that they have received the green light from their board of directors to "finalize planning for the construction of an advanced solar manufacturing facility in the U.S." CNN Money reports:

The statement suggested Jinko's decision was tied to the new tariffs, saying that the company "continues to closely monitor treatment of imports of solar cells and modules under the U.S. trade laws."

... Read more. (https://www.dailywire.com/news/26510/stable-genius-trump-jacks-tariffs-solar-panels-ryan-saavedra#)

angelatc
01-30-2018, 03:45 PM
I'm shocked.

dannno
01-30-2018, 03:49 PM
Oh man, you mean we gotta build our own solar panels now?!?

Brian4Liberty
01-30-2018, 03:51 PM
This whole "putting people to work" thing is really putting a strain on the leftist narrative. Just yesterday, somebody was on CNN complaining because even though black unemployment is hitting all-time lows, it's not as low as other groups. It's getting harder and harder for them to find victims to exploit.

angelatc
01-30-2018, 03:51 PM

We'll need to import Chinese because obviously those are jobs that Americans won't do.

angelatc
01-30-2018, 03:53 PM
This whole "putting people to work" thing is really putting a strain on the leftist narrative. Just yesterday, somebody was on CNN complaining because even though black unemployment is hitting all-time lows, it's not as low as other groups.

Start scaling back benefits and see what happens.

Swordsmyth
01-30-2018, 03:57 PM
This whole "putting people to work" thing is really putting a strain on the leftist narrative. Just yesterday, somebody was on CNN complaining because even though black unemployment is hitting all-time lows, it's not as low as other groups. It's getting harder and harder for them to find victims to exploit.

If it keeps up the "blue wave" is going to be a blue trickle.

nikcers
01-30-2018, 04:01 PM
Putting people to work isn't the governments job and they won't do a good job at it. This is why there is more and more homeless people in California.

Schifference
01-30-2018, 04:04 PM
A company that operates in China and the US.

What is to keep that company from bringing in the product from China and saying it is manufactured here?

dannno
01-30-2018, 04:08 PM
Putting people to work isn't the governments job and they won't do a good job at it. This is why there is more and more homeless people in California.

The government put people out of the job of making solar panels by taxing and spending too much, now we are addicted to taxing and spending. It has gutted our infrastructure and moved manufacturing overseas.

R. Paul would reduce taxes and spending significantly, bringing the manufacturing back over time.

Since doing that is not feasible under either political party at present, this is a good short term solution to help stop the bleeding and get some of our manufacturing infrastructure and jobs back here.

Brian4Liberty
01-30-2018, 04:10 PM

You just hate to see people working, don't you?

And there are so many "homeless" people in California because the weather is good, and they are invited, coddled and immune to the law.

GunnyFreedom
01-30-2018, 04:18 PM

What is to keep that company from bringing in the product from China and saying it is manufactured here?

They certainly could. Such imports would be subject to a 30% tariff. I am only pro tariff if it also eliminates the income tax, so I am not defending the tariff here, but that’s kinda the dictionary definition.

Brian4Liberty
01-30-2018, 04:25 PM
They certainly could. Such imports would be subject to a 30% tariff. I am only pro tariff if it also eliminates the income tax, so I am not defending the tariff here, but that’s kinda the dictionary definition.

Yeah, the whole "eliminate income tax, implement a flat across the board tariff" plan has been lost.

I suppose what we are seeing now is a "you tax us, we'll tax you" back and forth.

Zippyjuan
01-30-2018, 08:26 PM
Credit where credit is due.

"finalize planning for the construction of an advanced solar manufacturing facility in the U.S."

https://www.dailywire.com/news/26510/stable-genius-trump-jacks-tariffs-solar-panels-ryan-saavedra#

It was "in the works" before Trump announced his tariffs. Tariffs were announced on January 22, 2018. This article from two days before describes their plans and they were in negotiations with Jacksonville for a time before that- and the local government already approved incentives and the company is advertising for workers:

https://pv-magazine-usa.com/2018/01/19/jinkosolar-negotiating-with-jacksonville-florida-to-set-up-a-factory/

JinkoSolar looks to set up Florida factories

JANUARY 19, 2018

A source has revealed to pv magazine that the Chinese PV behemoth is the company negotiating with the city of Jacksonville, Florida.

There is more evidence that JinkoSolar is the company currently in negotiations with the city of Jacksonville, Florida, over incentives to establish manufacturing there. This week a source close to the deal revealed that the Chinese PV module maker is the company code-named “Project Volt” in Jacksonville city documents.

This follows on from a January 8 article by the Jacksonville Daily Record, which notes that JinkoSolar fits the description of the company, referencing two advertisements by the company for human resources jobs in Jacksonville.

According to Jacksonville City Council records, “Project Volt” plans to set up its first U.S. manufacturing in Jacksonville, as well as establishing its national headquarters in the city. JinkoSolar currently operates a U.S. office in San Francisco through a subsidiary.

JinkoSolar is seeking a total incentive package of tax refunds, credits, and grants from Jacksonville and the State of Florida for a total of $54 million. This includes state grants for hiring veterans.

On Wednesday night the Finance Committee of the Jacksonville City Council approved with amendments a resolution for the first $28 million in incentives from the city and the state, which will be sent back to the council for a final vote.

If JinkoSolar and Jacksonville are able to work out a deal, construction on new factories would begin by the end of June and should be completed by the end of 2019, although it is unclear when the company would start ramping production.

The factories and U.S. headquarters would cost $410 million and employ 800 workers. It is also not clear whether they would make cells, modules or both; however cells are expected to be a bottleneck under any tariffs imposed by U.S. President Donald Trump.

JinkoSolar did not respond to pv magazine requests for comment.

Zippyjuan
01-30-2018, 08:32 PM
Announced (without naming the company) January 4th (three weeks before the tariffs): https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/project-volt-promises-800-jobs-city-and-state-pledge-more-than-dollar50-million-in-incentives

Project Volt promises 800 jobs; city and state pledge more than $50 million in incentives

Project Volt
Product: Solar panels

Function: Manufacturing, assembly, U.S. headquarters

Employment: 800 jobs

Wage: Average $46,346

Locations: 4660 New World Ave. and 2969 Faye Road.

Investment: $410 million

Incentives: $53.9 million, city and state

Starts: By Dec. 31, 2019

The company would lease space for a manufacturing operation at 4660 New World Ave. in West Jacksonville at Cecil Commerce Center, as well as a second facility in North Jacksonville at 2969 Faye Road to house the company’s solar panel assembly and distribution operations.

devil21
01-30-2018, 09:12 PM

Haha no, we'll be building China's solar panels. We'll be told that we're building our neighbors panels but they'll send their seconds here and we'll send our best there.

nobody's_hero
01-30-2018, 11:11 PM
When goods don't cross borders, troops industries cross borders?

juleswin
01-30-2018, 11:18 PM
Well, now we would be making solar panels that there is no market for without the govt subsidizes and something we don't have any use at a more costly price in the US. And somehow I should cheer this as a some kind of victory for tax payers and the American worker?

kcchiefs6465
01-31-2018, 03:25 AM
Well, now we would be making solar panels that there is no market for without the govt subsidizes and something we don't have any use at a more costly price in the US. And somehow I should cheer this as a some kind of victory for tax payers and the American worker?
It's funnier than shit that someone with a Che avatar is preaching free market fundamentals to self described conservatives, republicans, libertarians and anarchists.

This place has changed quite a bit.

Wooden Indian
01-31-2018, 04:02 AM
It's funnier than $#@! that someone with a Che avatar is preaching free market fundamentals to self described conservatives, republicans, libertarians and anarchists.

LOL No doubt.

Weston White
01-31-2018, 04:30 AM
Just one week after the Trump administration announced a massive 30% tariff on imported solar panels, one of China's largest solar panel manufacturers announced plans to open a manufacturing plant in the United States.

https://i.imgflip.com/23o9ib.jpg

https://i.imgflip.com/23o9lh.jpg

https://i.imgflip.com/23oa5w.jpg

Weston White
01-31-2018, 04:40 AM

And there are so many "homeless" people in California because the weather is good, and they are invited, coddled and immune to the law.

Though homeless are used to overwhelm the judicial system and inundate police departments with response calls. Most all vagrants have a stack of outstanding misdemeanor and infraction warrants from BS muni-code violations. Maintaining a large homeless population is job security for court and police personnel, ambulance services, as well as code enforcement, city laborers and clean up crews.

juleswin
01-31-2018, 05:42 AM
It's funnier than $#@! that someone with a Che avatar is preaching free market fundamentals to self described conservatives, republicans, libertarians and anarchists.

"conservatives", "libertarians" and "anarchists". Serious question but do we really have those anymore on this forum? Hopefully people reading are smart enough to understand that I was talking to the Trump supporting republicans with my sarcastic post and not the real minority of conservatives, libertarians and anarchists left on the forum.

Well, it would be even plenty funnier if you are one of those idiots that care more about style over substance but I know you are not one of them because you are smarter than that right? My free market bona fide should never be questioned because of what avatar I choose especially when I have explained ad nauseam my rational for using it.

And I agree, this place has changed a lot. Anti free market and anti freedom policies are now cheered on by people with high repute just because they produce short term visible gains. Obamacare produced loads of healthcare jobs and building of hospitals and health centres but people at the time realized that there were unintended consequences with those job but now the same people are saying unintended what?

Then again, you are smart guy so you already know this :rolleyes:

phill4paul
01-31-2018, 06:26 AM
It was "in the works" before Trump announced his tariffs. Tariffs were announced on January 22, 2018. This article from two days before describes their plans and they were in negotiations with Jacksonville for a time before that- and the local government already approved incentives and the company is advertising for workers:

https://pv-magazine-usa.com/2018/01/19/jinkosolar-negotiating-with-jacksonville-florida-to-set-up-a-factory/

And the Chinese dumped a shitload of panels before Obama raised his tariff. The Chinese aren't ignorant. Why do you appear to be?

Origanalist
01-31-2018, 06:38 AM

Lol, pretty much hit the nail squarely on the head.

Weston White
01-31-2018, 06:38 AM
https://i.imgflip.com/23of2f.jpg

https://i.imgflip.com/23of4e.jpg

asurfaholic
01-31-2018, 06:47 AM

I thought there were so many homeless people because of that wacky weed that everyone out there is smoking. They forgot to pay the house bill and got kicked out. Or went for fast food and got lost and never made it back...

angelatc
01-31-2018, 10:39 AM

There's a YUGE government thing called Customs....

nikcers
01-31-2018, 10:42 AM
There's a YUGE government thing called Customs....
Whats to stop them from shipping parts here and manufacturing with robots?

angelatc
01-31-2018, 10:45 AM

Yes. Key word there is worker.

This isn't the Liberty solution, but there's zero political support for abolishing the welfare state, opening the borders and letting the rest of the world governments subsidize the collapse of the already shattered manufacturing base and the eventual demise of our rather comfortable lifestyle.

Thanks for asking. No go head off to South America and kill some f.aggots.

angelatc
01-31-2018, 10:46 AM
Whats to stop them from shipping parts here and manufacturing with robots?

Cheap illegal Mexican labor.

nikcers
01-31-2018, 10:52 AM
Cheap illegal Mexican labor.
inb4 tarrifs on robots and mexicans

Brian4Liberty
01-31-2018, 11:15 AM
I thought there were so many homeless people because of that wacky weed that everyone out there is smoking. They forgot to pay the house bill and got kicked out. Or went for fast food and got lost and never made it back...

One of our neighborhood homeless guys used to own a house here. He took out big loans, stopped paying the bills and got kicked out. Pot. Alcohol. Meth.

Weston White
01-31-2018, 01:28 PM
One of our neighborhood homeless guys used to own a house here. He took out big loans, stopped paying the bills and got kicked out. Pot. Alcohol. Meth.

That is a bummer man. Someone should make that stuff illegal. ...Oh wait... Darn.

axiomata
01-31-2018, 02:40 PM

Disappointed in OP and other cheerleaders for protectionist consumer harming tarrifs.

kcchiefs6465
01-31-2018, 02:49 PM
Disappointed in OP and other cheerleaders for protectionist consumer harming tarrifs.
Yeah. You start to think people get it and then they go back to the same tired arguments.

Break it down a few more levels and a city might think they'd become wealthy by producing everything themselves.... getting rid of all of the pesky invaders. Why, everyone would be employed! Except the standard of living would be shit.