PDA

View Full Version : GOP Establishment - an insider

Bertrand
12-11-2007, 09:36 PM
I had lunch with a GOP party insider today (chief of staff for VA AG - AG will be running for gov.). He is very involved with the party establishment. Here's the gist of what he had to say the establishment felt about Ron Paul:

1. They are very impressed with his fundraising.
2. They respect Ron Paul a lot as a person
3. While they still do not take him "seriously", they are worried about how he might influence the election.
4. If Paul got the nomination, the party would be behind him 100%.
5. Establishment does not like Huckabee.

I was actually rather heartened talking to this guy. He wasn't going to vote for Paul in the primary but had no hard feelings towards him, even for his war stance.

New stratagy: It looks like no one will win a majority electoral votes - good for us. In the second round of voting, I believe it's a free for all. If we're all delegates We just all vote for Paul, even if he won no states.

Broadlighter
12-11-2007, 09:41 PM
It's been my sense that a lot of people in the establishment actually like Ron Paul, but dare not say so. Money talks and everyone who listens does what their told out of self-preservation.

We have to take this out of the hands of the monied interests. We're not going to get any help from establishment sources.

azminuteman
12-11-2007, 09:44 PM
While they still do not take him "seriously"

WHO do they take seriously???

I think that Biden is the closest I could take semi-seriously at this point.
Hillary is serious but I can't take her seriously.

Rudy McRomneybee are all the same.
Tancredo comes across as serious so I would accept his name as an answer; I don't take him serisouly.
Hunter fails to stand up to Huckabee from stealing his ideas so he is a joke.

Paul is the most serious candidate that I take seriously and is willing to discuss serious issues.

chinaCat
12-11-2007, 09:45 PM

Tancredo comes across as serious so I would accept his name as an answer; I don't take him serisouly.

Paul is the most serious candidate that I take seriously and is willing to discuss serious issues.

I dont know how you interpreted it but when he says seriously I feel he is talking about his chance of winning the nomination, not his positions.

dirka
12-11-2007, 09:46 PM
Guys I'm totally cerial!!

ckhagen
12-11-2007, 09:46 PM
Based on the hostility I've encountered, while at the same time hearing rumors about local GOP insiders being pro-Paul, I think there may be quite a few establishment GOP in the closet regarding their Paul support.

ctb619
12-11-2007, 09:47 PM

I think it is a matter of them doubting Paul's ability to win the nomination.

Mandrik
12-11-2007, 09:47 PM

Seriously?

OptionsTrader
12-11-2007, 09:48 PM
Guys I'm totally cerial!!

lol, manbearpug flashback.

bobmurph
12-11-2007, 09:50 PM
I have a friend who worked in GOP politics for several years. I haven't talked at length with him about Ron Paul's standing among the GOP establishment, but he did say that Huckabee has been a guy for many years that has had the support of the GOP to be a presidential candidate someday...obviously his time is now...we'll see how the Huck can handle the limelight.

When Paul gets the nomination I do believe that the GOP establishment would support him full force.

torchbearer
12-11-2007, 09:52 PM
lol, manbearpug flashback.

PigManBear

Ethek
12-11-2007, 09:53 PM
The MSM is holding back the tide on RP. The big question is where is the tipping point? I'm not sure anyone knows. It may not be the 16th. It may not be the blimp. It may take a surprise win in Iowa because I don't even think a win in NH is enough.
It is already being discounted as another Buchanan or McCain

It my come down to Super Tuesday or it could come down to door- to-door campaigning for public perception in the days leading up to the convention. I just hope we hit that tipping point in stride because the biggest test of all would be round #2 of the convention. Liberty thrives best in the light, not back room deals hustled by party insiders.

trey4sports
12-11-2007, 09:55 PM
im glad you guys are optimistic but i believe when RP gets the nomination hell will break loose and the GOP will probably split in two...

bobmurph
12-11-2007, 09:58 PM
The MSM is holding back the tide on RP. The big question is where is the tipping point? I'm not sure anyone knows. It may not be the 16th. It may not be the blimp. It may take a surprise win in Iowa because I don't even think a win in NH is enough.

It my come down to Super Tuesday or it could come down to door- to-door campaigning for public perception in the days leading up to the convention. I just hope we hit that tipping point in stride because the biggest test of all would be round #2 of the convention. Liberty thrives best in the light, not back room deals hustled by party insiders.

Name recognition is STILL the biggest problem we face. Put up signs. Knock on doors. Tell your freinds and family to discover and donate. We need to cover this freakin country with the official Ron Paul yard signs. Even the most oblivious people will look him up if they start seeing Ron Paul 2008 at every other intersection. We have the grassroots base to be able to accomplish this...it's just a matter of actually getting out on the streets and doing it.

torchbearer
12-11-2007, 09:58 PM
im glad you guys are optimistic but i believe when RP gets the nomination hell will break loose and the GOP will probably split in two...

The GOP will split in two if he doesn't get the nomination.....

rich34
12-11-2007, 09:59 PM
Huckabee will not be president no matter how bad the social conservatives want him to be. He's not running against John Kerry. Them Clintons no the game and they'll spread his dirty laundry out all over the country. And while the Clintons have skeletons as well you have to remember something about that bunch, they're like teflon nothing sticks. Seriously only a candidate with a clean record and constitutional ideas is going to beat them. I just wish we could convince the rest of the republican party that.

Ladiliberty
12-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Here in my neck of the woods the only signs of an upcoming election are RON PAUL signs...On cars, on bumpers, in yards, along highways and interstates, and on tee shirts!

bobmurph
12-11-2007, 10:02 PM

They know that (splitting in two) would be the end of neo-con stranglehold on the GOP. They can't do it. The neo-con message is not strong enough to build a new party from the ground up. The only reason they're in power right now is because they've hijacked a major party from the inside out. The only way they can gain power is to take over from within...they can't build something new.

Energy
12-11-2007, 10:02 PM
3. While they still do not take him "seriously", they are worried about how he might influence the election.

This bothers me every time I hear it. Not taking him seriously (in getting the nomination) based on what? Polls? The power of the establishment keeping guys like RP from winning?

And then worried about RP influencing/spoiling the election? That's why we have elections!

user
12-11-2007, 10:03 PM
I would really be surprised if the GOP got behind RP 100% after he wins the nomination. I'll take it though.

Highstreet
12-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Huckabee will not be president no matter how bad the social conservatives want him to be. He's not running against John Kerry. Them Clintons no the game and they'll spread his dirty laundry out all over the country. And while the Clintons have skeletons as well you have to remember something about that bunch, they're like teflon nothing sticks. Seriously only a candidate with a clean record and constitutional ideas is going to beat them. I just wish we could convince the rest of the republican party that.

Have you seen the Morton Downey Jr tape?

Someone needs to get that off the net, and quickly.

Cowlesy
12-11-2007, 10:07 PM
Use a classic Barry Goldwater slogan: "Vote for Goldwater. In your heart, you know he's right."

I'm hoping that when people hear Paul's message, they'll have a powersurge to the brain, and even if they don't become a hardcore activist, when they pull that curtain and hit the lever, hopefully they make the right choice.

bbachtung
12-11-2007, 10:07 PM
The GOP leadership will do a quick about-face on Iraq, etc. as soon as Paul is the nominee. This is a lot like sports to a lot of people: when you're winning everybody loves you.

user
12-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Have you seen the Morton Downey Jr tape?

Someone needs to get that off the net, and quickly.
What was the problem with it? Wasn't it the others on the show who were being idiots?

wgadget
12-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Based on the hostility I've encountered, while at the same time hearing rumors about local GOP insiders being pro-Paul, I think there may be quite a few establishment GOP in the closet regarding their Paul support.

When I went to the Cobb County GOP breakfast last Saturday there was an old guy (part of the local GOP) in his 70s who had Ron Paul bumper stickers plastered to both the front and back of his shirt. I gave him the thumbs up...:)

Goldwater Conservative
12-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Yeah, considering a third of the party disapproves of Bush and another third (not sure what the overlap is) wants out of Iraq, I'm not surprised that Paul would have a respectable share of insider respect and approval. The establishment GOP also knows that tying their 2008 fortunes to the Bush legacy is almost certain disaster.

user
12-11-2007, 10:29 PM
The GOP leadership will do a quick about-face on Iraq, etc. as soon as Paul is the nominee. This is a lot like sports to a lot of people: when you're winning everybody loves you.
That's a good point. Most of these political types just want to hold on to their power. If it looks like RP has the most GOP voter support, we can expect some support from them, too.

daviddee
12-11-2007, 10:36 PM

Bertrand
12-12-2007, 12:03 AM
I don't think the neoconservatives have as much influence in the actual party establishment as we would all like to think. I've been to a number of republican meetings and even the people who disagree with Paul on Iraq support greater discretion when using our military.

BTW, it's great news that John Derbyshire at NR endorsed Paul. People might start finally coming out of the closet for Paul. Hopefully Viguerie will support Paul as well.

We shall see, but to be quite honest, I'm becoming more and more sure of a RP victory everyday.

xd9fan
12-12-2007, 12:18 AM
One thing is clear........it is anybodys to win.
This party wants direction...a platform
It wants to win
Paul can deliver both...
I have a feeling this will not be clear cut even after "Super Tuesday"
Paul should stay in this till the Convention....if possible (I'm not an expert on the bylaws of the party)

Jobarra
12-12-2007, 12:27 AM
What was the problem with it? Wasn't it the others on the show who were being idiots?
Yeah. The rest of the show is also on Youtube and you can see how thinly veiled the attacks are on the guys on stage. If Dr. Paul's retort to the guy who is slightly chubby is the worst thing on him, he's going to have a field day with Hillary. If anything I have no doubt that Hillary will make up whatever she needs to in order to attack him. We'll know it's false due his 30 years long stated position, but the public may be swayed. Hopefully enough people will know his integrity and not be swayed at a crucial moment.

ChickenHawk
12-12-2007, 12:28 AM
The GOP doesn't take him seriously because they have seen plenty of libertarian Republicans go down in flames. Based on past experience they don't think he has a snowball's chance in Hell.

I've been involved with the GOP in the past and it does have ( at least here in WA) a very strong libertarian streak. I have no doubt there is a lot of RP supporters that are currently planing to vote for other candidates for practical reasons. If it becomes clear that he can win those people will likely jump on the bandwagon real quick.

McDermit
12-12-2007, 12:32 AM
We're handling a few counties. One GOP chair is RP-friendly and considering supporting him. One doesn't like him but is neutral and helpful to us, as new Republicans, knowing that we support RP. The other is a total bitch and either provides misinformation, lies, or straight up hangs up the phone if we have questions. (6 of us have been told that our delegate packets were mailed weeks ago by number 3, lies. When we show up at the office, we're told to speak with someone else and just get shuffled around between the same people, with nothing ever getting accomplished.) Mixed bag. The one county's GOP is just insane. They wouldn't even support our congressional candidate last time around. Sucks.

liam
12-12-2007, 12:45 AM
I want to believe this but the debates and the cancelling od the San Fransico straw poll give me cause to disbelieve

ChickenHawk
12-12-2007, 12:48 AM
I want to believe this but the debates and the cancelling od the San Fransico straw poll give me cause to disbelieve

There are no doubt people in the GOP establishment that are downright hostile to Ron Paul. This is going to be a very tough year for the GOP no matter who gets the nomination.

robatsu
12-12-2007, 12:53 AM
At the county level here in Montgomery Co. Md, I am surprised at how many are for McCain. A few Romneyites, no Giuliani. People are open to discussion about Paul, but even w/in the party, it is amazing how little they know about him.

Or maybe it the truth is that it is amazing how much we know about him.

Mark Rushmore
12-12-2007, 12:56 AM
Or maybe it the truth is that it is amazing how much we know about him.

Bingo!

I've often wondered to myself: if all I'd seen is perhaps his website one time where I'd read up on his "issue" statements - but had never seen him in a debate, never seen any of his Youtube videos or speeches, never read any of his writings, never followed the information flowing on boards such as these.

What would my impression of him be?

The videos are so crucial. New Hope alone is worth more than the entire campaign site - I almost wish they'd just forward it ;).

azminuteman
12-12-2007, 04:59 AM
Biden? Are you serious?

Between all the Democrats, yes.
He is respected within his circles, he's just a pushover.
I know plenty of Republicans from Georgia and Louisiana that like him.

LibertyEagle
12-12-2007, 05:40 AM
The GOP doesn't take him seriously because they have seen plenty of libertarian Republicans go down in flames. Based on past experience they don't think he has a snowball's chance in Hell.

I've been involved with the GOP in the past and it does have ( at least here in WA) a very strong libertarian streak. I have no doubt there is a lot of RP supporters that are currently planing to vote for other candidates for practical reasons. If it becomes clear that he can win those people will likely jump on the bandwagon real quick.

That is one of the more ridiculous things I have heard on this board. Ron Paul supporters not voting for RP, because they think he has no chance? :eek::confused: If they would vote for him, he WOULD have a chance!!!

freelance
12-12-2007, 05:40 AM
One thing is clear........it is anybodys to win.
This party wants direction...a platform
It wants to win
Paul can deliver both...
I have a feeling this will not be clear cut even after "Super Tuesday"
Paul should stay in this till the Convention....if possible (I'm not an expert on the bylaws of the party)

I'd bet my life this goes all the way to the convention, regardless of who "wins" the primaries. I think it's going to be a food fight. You guys who are delegates are in for the time of your lives--something you will never forget.

Malakai0
12-12-2007, 05:45 AM
People in the GOP who are republicans may support RP, but the neocons in power can't stand him.

troyd1
12-12-2007, 05:52 AM
Everyone needs to bring a carload to their caucus or primary. If we get over 50%, we win. This can be done, but it needs to be done one voter at a time.

voytechs
12-12-2007, 05:59 AM

Tipping points have always been the polls or actual caucuses/primaries won. I say we need to start funding our own polls. If a national poll can be done for $5000 like Alex Jones did, lets do a bunch of them, one a week at least and turn the tables on them.

ChickenHawk
12-12-2007, 10:26 AM
That is one of the more ridiculous things I have heard on this board. Ron Paul supporters not voting for RP, because they think he has no chance? :eek::confused: If they would vote for him, he WOULD have a chance!!!

No, it is not rediculous. Many people feel that their own views are too far outside the mainstream for a canidate that they agree with 80-100% to ever be elected. So they choose a canidate they agree with 60-70% because they feel it is the best way too keep a canidate that they agree with 0-10% from winning in the general election.

They may be wrong but there is some logic to it. I've done it myself from time to time.

TheIndependent
12-12-2007, 10:42 AM

Well, I for one wish they'd get their asses moving.

I wonder if we could solicit an endorsement from Paul Broun (R-GA) from the House. He's a VERY close-to-Paul Republican, and now his only friend on a lot of those lonely votes.

Frankie Lee
12-12-2007, 10:45 AM
No, it is not rediculous. Many people feel that their own views are too far outside the mainstream for a canidate that they agree with 80-100% to ever be elected. So they choose a canidate they agree with 60-70% because they feel it is the best way too keep a canidate that they agree with 0-10% from winning in the general election.

They may be wrong but there is some logic to it. I've done it myself from time to time.
No, I am sorry but that makes no sense.
You can only cast a singular vote, and by itself your singular vote is not going to sway any election. However, if you use that singular vote to vote for who you 100% believe in and everyone has the same logic only then can democracy truly work. So you are just hindering democracy with your dumb voting behavior.

hawks4ronpaul
12-12-2007, 10:53 AM
"Based on the hostility I've encountered, while at the same time hearing rumors about local GOP insiders being pro-Paul, I think there may be quite a few establishment GOP in the closet regarding their Paul support."

Is this like when the Wicked Witch's foot soldiers thanked Dorothy for freeing them?

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/

Ridiculous
12-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Use a classic Barry Goldwater slogan: "Vote for Goldwater. In your heart, you know he's right."

Well, you know what the Democrats started to counter that slogan, "In your gut, you know he's nuts"

That counter slogan is noted as a side bar as one of the things that caused him to loose.

fuzzybekool
12-12-2007, 11:06 AM
The Dec. 16 money bomb will bring many of these "in the closet" GOP Ron Paul supporters out into the open.

xd9fan
12-12-2007, 06:46 PM
I'd bet my life this goes all the way to the convention, regardless of who "wins" the primaries. I think it's going to be a food fight. You guys who are delegates are in for the time of your lives--something you will never forget.

Yep and I work across the street from where the convention will be....
I'm taking vacation because
1. I will either get to be a delegate
OR
2. I dont want to be near the place....because its going to be.......interesting

nist7
12-12-2007, 06:58 PM
The Dec. 16 money bomb will bring many of these "in the closet" GOP Ron Paul supporters out into the open.

mmmmm, we certainly hope so!

ronpaulfan
12-12-2007, 07:09 PM

lmfao :p