PDA

View Full Version : Income Tax-Related Issue

lly4now
12-11-2007, 09:26 PM
So, my girlfriend and I were talking a few hours ago. She had had a discussion with her mother about Ron Paul when she learned that RP's intention to cut the income tax would essentially put her Dad out of his job: a tax (primarily income) accountant. This freaked her out.

I wanted to see what you guys think about the issue. Perhaps I am missing some point that could make things better for her. I don't know. It worries me, because I dislike the notion of supporting someone who could cause so much trouble for someone I hold so dearly, even though I am quite the avid supporter...

Scott Wilson
12-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Ask yourself if it is the purpose of the Income Tax to create jobs for accountants?

ckhagen
12-11-2007, 09:30 PM
I'm sure there's a much more compassionate approach, but is it really fair to keep taxing millions of Americans unconstitutionally in order to secure her father's job? Two wrongs don't make a right...

freestyl24
12-11-2007, 09:30 PM
<>

weagle
12-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Isn't it messed up that we are forced to hire Tax Accountants to wade through the maze that is the tax code so that we can figure how much of our hard earned money we have to hand over to the government.

Having said that I feel for your girlfriend's dad. There will still be a demand for Tax Accountants at the corporate level. Remember also that it would take years to get off of the income tax and I think congress would have to approve it.

Broadlighter
12-11-2007, 09:36 PM
The IRS isn't going to go away so easily under a Ron Paul Administration. The first thing he plans to cut is the spending overseas, including the war in Iraq. Then he'll work on domestic programs that don't serve any useful purpose.

The reductions in government spending should make it feasible to introduce sound money into the economy and eventually eliminate the need for an income tax.

This should also bring more prosperity and jobs into the marketplace where your girlfriend's dad should be able to transfer his skills toward another job.

Ron Paul states that the income tax presumes that the government owns us and our incomes. We are 'permitted' to keep a percentage of our income. In a manner of speaking we don't 'own' our money. It's on loan from the Federal Reserve and the IRS serves as its collection agency. Perhaps if your girlfriend's dad understood this perspective, he would consider a new line of work.

Realistically, its doubtful that the government would eliminate all the spending Ron Paul would like it to during a four year term, but eventually it would. Ron Paul's presidency should give him enough time to make a graceful transition.

bobmurph
12-11-2007, 09:36 PM
The abolishment of the income tax would create vastly more jobs than it would eliminate (IRS agents, accountants, etc). Your girlfriends dad would ceratinly be able to find a new job in the growing ecomony that would result from the elmination of the income tax.

azminuteman
12-11-2007, 09:37 PM
So, my girlfriend and I were talking a few hours ago. She had had a discussion with her mother about Ron Paul when she learned that RP's intention to cut the income tax would essentially put her Dad out of his job: a tax (primarily income) accountant. This freaked her out.

I wanted to see what you guys think about the issue. Perhaps I am missing some point that could make things better for her. I don't know. It worries me, because I dislike the notion of supporting someone who could cause so much trouble for someone I hold so dearly, even though I am quite the avid supporter...

There would be other markets that would open up.
Think about it. There will still be local taxes.

My wife is also a payroll tax accountant. Her responsibilities would shift to benefits.

It's not like there will be this void; the DOE would have to become teachers and practice what they have been preaching.

10thAmendmentMan
12-11-2007, 09:57 PM
The IRS isn't going to go away so easily under a Ron Paul Administration. The first thing he plans to cut is the spending overseas, including the war in Iraq. Then he'll work on domestic programs that don't serve any useful purpose.

This is the argument to use with her.

However, the more important point is that a job artificially created by government intervention just means that labor and mental resources can be better put to use towards something else. If the income tax did go bye-bye in the future, those accountants would find another use for their numbers. This new use would actually produce something and/or provide a service for their clients... other than saving them some money on their tax forms.

Goldwater Conservative
12-11-2007, 09:58 PM
What does he pay in income taxes? That'd be how much he could take in a pay cut and break even.

And he could always turn his focus to such things as the corporate income tax (provided that wasn't also scrapped), state and local income taxes, sales taxes, and property taxes.

Does he actually oppose tax simplification proposals or support complicating the tax code even further?

user
12-11-2007, 10:07 PM
Think of how many people are hurt by the income tax, both now and in the long term.

Jobarra
12-11-2007, 10:25 PM
Pick up any Sunday newspaper jobs section and look at how many accountant jobs there are in there. I don't think he'll have a problem finding work. Accountants aren't just for tax purposes. Even small companies need accountants for the most part.

pdavis
12-11-2007, 10:28 PM
That which is seen! What is not seen is the hundreds of billions of dollars being collected will be given be back to the taxpayer for their pleasure to spend and invest in the marketplace. As the sharp rise in demand for goods and services increases, more jobs will be created, filled by the recently unemployed in order to produce, not to steal, increasing our country's wealth.

ronpaulblogsdotcom
12-11-2007, 10:31 PM
I have been a consultant, whenever there is any change in a situation there is more questions and business.

He could become an expert in the new rules (or lack thereof) and show people how to file the last few years they need to, get any refunds possible, and then he could become a financial planner as people will actually have some money to save in the future.

quickmike
12-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Its the same thing as having tons of state troopers patrolling the highways when 4 or 5 would suffice. Its a scheme where they need more troopers to give more tickets so they can hire more troopers to give more tickets and on and on. Its a make work program. There would be plenty of other jobs out there for people skilled in things like accounting. Imagine if we had no income tax how much money would be freed up to investment in the free market. He could put his skills to work giving advice on where to invest all that new found money that would suddeny be in the hands of the people instead of the government. I dont think he would have anything to worry about.

RPinSEAZ
12-11-2007, 10:45 PM
I'm sure I'll lose my job (DoD contractor) but I understand that the job I am doing is not creating wealth. Under a Ron Paul administration, Ill do the same job, probably for less money because I don't need as much for a private company. However, I'll be doing something worthwhile helping our nation instead of leeching off of it.

user
12-11-2007, 10:54 PM
Too bad all federal contractors don't see what you do RPinSEAZ.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his job depends on not understanding it.

Jobarra
12-11-2007, 11:05 PM
I don't see why you would have to lose your job. Sure we wouldn't have to keep a super massive army stateside, but National Defense relies on us being as strong as possible technologically. Since National Defense IS a responsibility of the Federal Government, I don't see why a strong technological National Defense wouldn't be needed. As for troops levels, I imagine if we get into any 'just' war, people will have no problem volunteering as we have had in the past when we were attacked.

quickmike
12-11-2007, 11:12 PM
The reality is that all the services the federal government provides would still be needed under a Ron Paul administration. Only difference is that it wouldnt be in the hands of bureaucrats that get no bid contracts that have no incentive to provide a good service. They would still exist but instead would be open to free market rules of competition that would in the long run, provide better products and services and create a better environment for REAL advancement in technology and invention. Thats what made this country great in the first place. People with new ideas that had an incentive to improve on things in exchange for a profit for themselves. Everybody wins.

Seems like most americans have forgotten how this country became prosperous in the first place.

Arek
12-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Yea but under a Ron Paul administration maybe the Supreme Court would review the evidence that the 16th amendment wasn't ratified therefore outlawing the illegal income tax.

gerryb
12-12-2007, 01:13 AM
Too bad all federal contractors don't see what you do RPinSEAZ.

I wouldn't count on that.

user
12-12-2007, 01:14 AM
I wouldn't count on that.
What? You think all federal contractors understand that the jobs they're doing are not creating wealth?