PDA

View Full Version : Vermont becomes 9th state to legalize cannabis, first by way of state legislature

jct74
01-22-2018, 03:15 PM
and it was signed into law by a Republican governor too

Vermont Becomes the Ninth State to Legalize Recreational Marijuana
Today the governor signed a bill that eliminates penalties for possession and home cultivation.

Jacob Sullum
Jan. 22, 2018

Today Vermont Gov. Phil Scott signed a bill making his state the ninth to legalize marijuana for recreational use and the first to do so through the legislature rather than a ballot initiative. The new law, which takes effect on July 1, allows adults 21 or older to possess up to an ounce of marijuana in public, to grow up to six plants (two of them mature at any one time) per household, and to keep whatever they produce.

"After more than 15 years of hard work by [the Marijuana Policy Project] and our allies in the state, adults in Vermont no longer need to fear being fined or criminalized for low-level marijuana possession and cultivation," says Matt Simon, MPP's New England political director. "Responsible adults will soon have the freedom to enjoy a safer option legally, and law enforcement will be free to concentrate on serious crimes with actual victims."

Unlike the initiatives that legalized recreational marijuana in Alaska, California, Colorado, Maine, Massachusetts, Nevada, Oregon and Washington, the Vermont law does not permit commercial production or distribution. But it creates a Marijuana Regulatory Commission (with the same membership as the advisory commission that Scott appointed last September) that is charged with studying "regulation and taxation of a commercial adult-use marijuana market that is economically sustainable, reduces the illegal marijuana market, [and] results in net revenues to the State after appropriate costs for education, public health and public safety have been deducted." The commission is required to produce a final report by the end of the year.

read more:
http://reason.com/blog/2018/01/22/vermont-becomes-the-ninth-state-to-legal

Swordsmyth
01-22-2018, 03:32 PM
https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/W0Hx4iBP0_0kbRhlfVxilw--~B/Zmk9c3RyaW07aD0xOTM7cHlvZmY9MDtxPTk1O3c9MjIwO3NtPT E7YXBwaWQ9eXRhY2h5b24-/http://media.zenfs.com/en-US/homerun/techcrunch_350/1b1c465cd639b1aacdbcfb6bad823d8a

Take that Sessions!

TheTexan
01-22-2018, 03:51 PM
LOL crazy potheads. It's still illegal

jct74
01-22-2018, 04:59 PM
"Live free or die" state needs to get with the program. Completely surrounded by 3 states that have legalized, plus Canada which will be legalizing this summer.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6f/Map-of-US-state-cannabis-laws.svg

Anti Globalist
01-22-2018, 05:00 PM
41 more states to go.

oyarde
01-22-2018, 05:47 PM

LOL , Only safe in canada .

dannno
01-22-2018, 05:54 PM
"Live free or die" state needs to get with the program. Completely surrounded by 3 states that have legalized, plus Canada which will be legalizing this summer.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6f/Map-of-US-state-cannabis-laws.svg

You can ALMOST drive across the entire country with THC laden buds if you have a prescription..

pcosmar
01-22-2018, 06:01 PM

Not here..

now where is that shishkaberry?

Raginfridus
01-22-2018, 06:15 PM
You can ALMOST drive across the entire country with THC laden buds if you have a prescription..Do you deliver?

dannno
01-22-2018, 06:33 PM
Not here..

now where is that shishkaberry?

That was the name of my roommate's cat about 12 years ago (I named her)

dannno
01-22-2018, 06:39 PM
Do you deliver?

Some day..

Swordsmyth
01-22-2018, 07:12 PM
Some day..

You will need to use dog carts in Califonia:
California bans drone delivery services of legalized pot (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?514833-California-bans-drone-delivery-services-of-legalized-pot&highlight=forgot+dog+carts)
"Transportation may not be done by aircraft, watercraft, rail, drones, human-powered vehicles, or unmanned vehicles,"

They forgot dog carts.

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2F736x%2Ffc%2Fcf%2F70%2Ffccf70d42cb 2215c9974991386ff9c9d.jpg&f=1

jct74
01-22-2018, 08:39 PM
You can ALMOST drive across the entire country with THC laden buds if you have a prescription..

Oklahoma and Missouri are probably going to legalize by ballot initiative in 2018. If Indiana or Kentucky can somehow find a way, there will be a complete path.

Swordsmyth
01-23-2018, 01:00 AM
Vermont Gov. Phil Scott (R) on Monday signed into law House Bill 511 (https://legislature.vermont.gov/bill/status/2018/H.511), which legalizes the possession of up to one ounce of cannabis and removes penalties for possession of up to two mature marijuana plants and up to four immature plants.

Although other states have legalized cannabis through ballot initiatives that have left the decision up to voters, Vermont does not allow for such a process. Over the past few years, lawmakers in the state have instead been working to address marijuana reform through legislation. A similar legalization bill made it to Scott’s desk in 2017, but the governor vetoed it, citing concerns with weak language on punishment for the sale of marijuana to minors and its establishment of a commission to study how a regulated cannabis market would work in Vermont.

The final version of H. 511 clarified civil penalties for the sale of marijuana to individuals under 21 years old and removed the commission entirely. Scott has instead created his own marijuana task force, which is examining the state’s involvement in recreational cannabis sales and focusing on developing comprehensive education, prevention and highway safety strategies.
“There must be comprehensive and convincing plans completed in these areas before I will begin to consider the wisdom of implementing a commercial ‘tax-and-regulate’ system for an adult marijuana market,” Scott said on Monday. “It is important for the General Assembly to know that – until we have a workable plan to address each of these concerns – I will veto any additional effort along these lines, which manages to reach my desk.”
Some state officials say the composition of that commission looks to be biased against marijuana, which means recreational weed faces an uncertain future in Vermont.
“There is frustration that the governor’s panels appear to be predetermined in opposition [to a tax-and-regulate model for marijuana sales] versus the sentiment of the House and Senate, which was to move forward,” said Vermont Lt. Gov. David Zuckerman, a Progressive/Democrat.
The governor’s commission is expected to deliver a final report to lawmakers by the end of the year, which would guide them on future legislation to establish a market for cannabis. Under Vermont’s two-step process of legalization, it could be a while before the state sees its first legal marijuana sale, said Matt Simon, the New England political director for the Marijuana Policy Project, a non-profit organization that advocates for cannabis reform around the country.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/vermont-makes-history-legalizing-marijuana-193656120.html

Voluntarist
01-23-2018, 08:24 AM
xxxxx

osan
01-23-2018, 09:46 AM
Legalization = partial FAIL.

DECRIMINALIZE, damn it!

osan
01-23-2018, 09:47 AM
https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/W0Hx4iBP0_0kbRhlfVxilw--~B/Zmk9c3RyaW07aD0xOTM7cHlvZmY9MDtxPTk1O3c9MjIwO3NtPT E7YXBwaWQ9eXRhY2h5b24-/http://media.zenfs.com/en-US/homerun/techcrunch_350/1b1c465cd639b1aacdbcfb6bad823d8a

Take that Sessions!

That a North Korean missile?

shakey1
01-23-2018, 11:56 AM
https://thecreatorwritings.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/baby-steps-big-dreams.jpg

dannno
01-23-2018, 12:04 PM

DECRIMINALIZE, damn it!

The problem is that "decriminalize" in the colloquial sense means that it is still illegal to grow or sell. For a libertarian, the word decriminalize sounds like you can grow 30 plants in your backyard and sell weed to your neighbor. Well, that is never going to happen because they are always going to want to regulate sales to children. But typically decriminalization bills will allow possession of small amounts and that is all.

I've always said they should make legalization bills which criminalize sales to under 18 without a prescription, and then just the regular sales tax.

pcosmar
01-23-2018, 12:54 PM
I've always said they should make legalization bills which criminalize sales to under 18 without a prescription, and then just the regular sales tax.

Why..
I see no need to regulate it whatsoever.

It is harmless,, and on top of NO Harm,, it is beneficial. for food,for construction,for clothing,for medicine and for art.

It is a gift from God and forbidding it is criminal.

It needs to be part of the environment,, again.

opal
01-23-2018, 01:00 PM
I think the word I'd like to see across the board is UNSCHEDULE - get it off the scheduled prohibition list. Regulate the way dandelions are regulated.

Swordsmyth
01-23-2018, 01:00 PM
That a North Korean missile?

I just grabbed the gif from a news article on the yahoo front page, I think it was a satellite launch.

dannno
01-23-2018, 01:07 PM
Why..

It is harmless,, and on top of NO Harm,, it is beneficial. for food,for construction,for clothing,for medicine and for art.

I wouldn't mind it that way, but anything less would be unacceptable to the vast majority of the population.

Even with my plan it would be far less regulated than cigs.. You can't commercially grow or sell tobacco without all kinds of permits, and there are very high taxes especially for cigs, and now in many places you have to be 21..

shakey1
01-23-2018, 01:16 PM
Why..

^^^THIS^^^

pcosmar
01-23-2018, 01:33 PM
I wouldn't mind it that way, but anything less would be unacceptable to the vast majority of the population.

Even with my plan it would be far less regulated than cigs.. You can't commercially grow or sell tobacco without all kinds of permits, and there are very high taxes especially for cigs, and now in many places you have to be 21..

Also dumb..

and I started smoking tobacco at 12.
Back when I could still walk to a story and buy them with no question,, other than what flavor.

My profession was far more dangerous than anything I smoked.

At 40 I could still free dive lobster at 30 ft down. and i am 60+ and have no breathing issues,
Though for the last couple I have been smoking Cannabis as well. I may have cut back on tobacco,, but am still a regular smoker.

I enjoy tobacco,, and wish I could afford better quality..

osan
01-23-2018, 02:24 PM

What's the legend here? What's the 'D' represent? Democrat? Decriminalized? Douche? Decriminalized Democratic Douche? Help me out?

And the colors? I surmise the dark green is "legal" at the least. What about the rest?

osan
01-23-2018, 02:29 PM
The problem is that "decriminalize" in the colloquial sense means that it is still illegal to grow or sell. For a libertarian, the word decriminalize sounds like you can grow 30 plants in your backyard and sell weed to your neighbor. Well, that is never going to happen because they are always going to want to regulate sales to children. But typically decriminalization bills will allow possession of small amounts and that is all.

Yeah well, screw the colloquialisms of marginal spirits and intellects. I'm speaking in strictly proper terms. Decriminalization means the so-called "state" is keeping its nose out of things that are none of its business.

Does anyone here realize just how close to being free this land actually is? The veil separating this tyranny from freedom is so thin as to be imperceptible by most. It would take but the most marginal and subtle twist in the ways things are done to transform this land into something far different and far better.

How I despise stupid, corrupt men.

osan
01-23-2018, 02:30 PM
I just grabbed the gif from a news article on the yahoo front page, I think it was a satellite launch.

I see yet another of my attempts as mildly sarcastic humor has failed.

CCTelander
01-23-2018, 04:05 PM

DECRIMINALIZE, damn it!

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to osan again."

Danke
01-23-2018, 04:11 PM
What's the legend here? What's the 'D' represent? Democrat? Decriminalized? Douche? Decriminalized Democratic Douche? Help me out?

And the colors? I surmise the dark green is "legal" at the least. What about the rest?

I think every county in the so-called live free or die state is blue.

Root
01-23-2018, 04:20 PM
The green mountain state just got a little greener. Next ski season there is going to be really fun.

jct74
01-23-2018, 05:20 PM

The map is from Wikipedia. Here's the legend:

https://i.imgur.com/Epx2jHy.png

Danke
01-23-2018, 05:28 PM

prohibited for any use but decriminalized? Huh?

kcchiefs6465
01-23-2018, 05:46 PM
Decriminalized refers to not facing prison time for small amounts possessed. There are still civil fines/penalites (license suspension) and criminal penalties for things outside of simple possession of small amounts of cannabis.

dannno
01-23-2018, 06:07 PM

It means they don't have any medicinal laws, but small amounts are decriminalized.

Jan2017
01-23-2018, 07:12 PM
The green mountain state just got a little greener. Next ski season there is going to be really fun.

btw, the name Vermont comes from the French words for green mountain, "mont vert."

Very significant that this was a legislative action by the State of Vermont, imho.
Colorado (btw, the birthplace of the Libertarian Party) was first by voter referendum and now
Vermont the first by the state legislature. Welcome aboard !

Although a quick internet search seemed to dispel(?) my understanding that George Washington smoked what he was growing -
there is a definite quote somewhere I read that George Washington was separating/harvesting "the flowering tops of the female hemp plant" so naturally I'll presume he used those female plants for more than rope.

Thomas Jefferson probably said “Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp…”

James Madison our nation’s fourth president and “Father of the Constitution” was heard to say that smoking hemp
inspired him to found a new nation based on Democratic principles.
https://culturemagazine.com/4-founding-fathers-that-grew-cannabis/

No kidding -
recommending to avoid Nebraska as it is regarded to be one of the very worst,
very dangerous to drive through with an out-of-state plate.

Root
01-24-2018, 06:26 AM
Q: What's the first thing you say to random strangers when getting into a ski gondola in Vermont?
A: Anyone have any weed?

Q: What's the second thing you say to random strangers in the Vermont ski gondola?
A: Anyone want some weed?

50/50 track record on never getting to question 2.

Jan2017
01-24-2018, 07:00 AM
I think the word I'd like to see across the board is UNSCHEDULE - get it off the scheduled prohibition list. Regulate the way dandelions are regulated.

Yes, considering cannabis as a scheduled drug by the Federal government is the biggest problem legalized states will continue to have.
Countless over-the-counter medications are more worthy of that designation certainly . . . more dangerous, hepatotoxic, abused, and deadly -
tylenol is the worst sh!t by far - extremely hepatotoxic but the goonerment doesn't care.

osan
01-24-2018, 07:56 AM

OK thank you.

Now I'm even more cornfuzed.

How can it be decriminalized in Nebraska, yet prohibited for any use? This map makes me feel retarded.

So stick with me on this one: NY - decriminalized for medical use, eh? Well screw my brain that STILL doesn't make sense. If it is DECRIMINALIZED, how can the state regulate it for med use only? Or does someone "caught" with it just have to say that it's for medical use only?

"Why yes occifer, the three hundred pounds of cannabis you just discovered in my trunk is indeed for my personal medical use..."

And what in hell is this "limited THC content" thing? They find a joint in my pocket and then what? Off to testing for delta-9 levels? How much of the joint does that consume? How long does it take? What is my disposition until results are obtained? Do I sit in a cell because I am pending test results and might pose a flight risk?

This has my head spinning... I think I need to light a joint so I can chill out. It's my COMPANION JOINT, so you can't hassle me about it. And yes, I can take it on planes for my PTSD. Fuck y'all.

Raginfridus
01-24-2018, 08:24 AM
Too bad aboutKansas. Indiana will still be last to legalize
:P

shakey1
01-24-2018, 09:53 AM
Too bad aboutKansas. Indiana will still be last to legalize
:P

My money's on Nebraska to be the holdout.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/6435509/_DSC6191.0.JPG

jct74
01-24-2018, 11:49 AM
OK thank you.

How can it be decriminalized in Nebraska, yet prohibited for any use? This map makes me feel retarded.

So stick with me on this one: NY - decriminalized for medical use, eh? Well screw my brain that STILL doesn't make sense. If it is DECRIMINALIZED, how can the state regulate it for med use only? Or does someone "caught" with it just have to say that it's for medical use only?

"Why yes occifer, the three hundred pounds of cannabis you just discovered in my trunk is indeed for my personal medical use..."

And what in hell is this "limited THC content" thing? They find a joint in my pocket and then what? Off to testing for delta-9 levels? How much of the joint does that consume? How long does it take? What is my disposition until results are obtained? Do I sit in a cell because I am pending test results and might pose a flight risk?

This has my head spinning... I think I need to light a joint so I can chill out. It's my COMPANION JOINT, so you can't hassle me about it. And yes, I can take it on planes for my PTSD. Fuck y'all.

Decriminalized means weed is still illegal, but the punishment is significantly reduced. No threat of arrest or criminal prosecution, it's treated similar to a minor traffic violation.

States with limited THC content, the purpose of those laws is to allow people to use cannabis oil that has a high concentration of CBD. The laws are very restrictive though, so I think they are pretty worthless. Plus CBD is sort of semi-legal across the United States, if it is derived from industrial hemp which has less than 0.3% THC. There is a much longer discussion that could be had about it, but I won't get into it.

GunnyFreedom
01-24-2018, 12:26 PM

Dannno is correct. This is true. NC claims to have "decriminalized" which means possession of less than 1 oz is now a misdemeanor instead of a felony. However possession of more than 1 oz, purchasing it in any way, or selling it in any way, or just giving it away for free is still a pretty heavy felony that will land you in prison.

While I am glad that people charged with possession of less than one ounce now get a ticket instead of a prison sentence, decriminalization - at least in North Carolina - is worthless.

GunnyFreedom
01-24-2018, 12:30 PM

I dunno, but NC at least has claimed to have decriminalized possession, so it fits the speculation.

GunnyFreedom
01-24-2018, 12:31 PM
Yeah well, screw the colloquialisms of marginal spirits and intellects. I'm speaking in strictly proper terms. Decriminalization means the so-called "state" is keeping its nose out of things that are none of its business.

Does anyone here realize just how close to being free this land actually is? The veil separating this tyranny from freedom is so thin as to be imperceptible by most. It would take but the most marginal and subtle twist in the ways things are done to transform this land into something far different and far better.

How I despise stupid, corrupt men.

That may be what it means to Misean libertarians, but that's not what it means to the rest of the country or the battalions of lawyers cops and legislators around the US.

GunnyFreedom
01-24-2018, 12:33 PM

The term, as the rest of the country who are not us use it, means that possession, and only possession of less than 1 oz, is a misdemeanor instead of a felony.

Anti Federalist
01-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Wish I could smoke some tobacco as freely.

A couple long gone simple pleasures:

A smoke after sex.

A smoke after a good meal.

GunnyFreedom
01-24-2018, 12:43 PM
OK thank you.

In NC it means that you can get CBD oil that has been stripped of 99% of it's THC, making it basically impossible to get high. NC has legalized ONLY CBD oil with less than 0.9% THC

§ 90-94.1. Exemption for use or possession of hemp extract.

_____(a) As used in this section, "hemp extract" means an extract from a cannabis plant, or a mixture or preparation containing cannabis plant material, that has all of the following characteristics:

____________(1) Is composed of less than nine-tenths of one percent (0.9%) tetrahydrocannabinol by weight.

____________(2) Is composed of at least five percent (5%) cannabidiol by weight.

____________(3) Contains no other psychoactive substance.

_____(b) Notwithstanding any other provision of this Chapter, an individual may possess or use hemp extract, and is not subject to the penalties described in this Chapter, if the individual satisfies all of the following criteria:

____________(1) Possesses or uses the hemp extract only to treat intractable epilepsy, as defined in G.S. 90-113.101.

____________(2) Possesses, in close proximity to the hemp extract, a certificate of analysis that indicates the hemp extract's ingredients, including its percentages of tetrahydrocannabinol and cannabidiol by weight.

____________(3) Is a caregiver, as defined in G.S. 90-113.101.

_____(c) Notwithstanding any other provision of this Chapter, an individual who possesses hemp extract lawfully under this section may administer hemp extract to another person under the individual's care and is not subject to the penalties described in this Chapter for administering the hemp extract to the person if the individual is the person's caregiver, as defined in G.S. 90-113.101. (2014-53, s. 3; 2015-154, s. 1.)

opal
01-24-2018, 02:54 PM
Wish I could smoke some tobacco as freely.

A couple long gone simple pleasures:

A smoke after sex.

A smoke after a good meal.

why is the meal "good" but the sex isn't?

not to forget.. the ciggy with a cup of coffee

osan
01-24-2018, 05:28 PM
Decriminalized means weed is still illegal, but the punishment is significantly reduced. No threat of arrest or criminal prosecution, it's treated similar to a minor traffic violation.

Then that is jargon use of the term. I real english, decriminalization means the state has no horse in the race.

This is all such baloney.

osan
01-24-2018, 05:30 PM
That may be what it means to Misean libertarians, but that's not what it means to the rest of the country or the battalions of lawyers cops and legislators around the US.

Meager spirits suck.