PDA

View Full Version : Trump Signs Surveillance Extension Into Law

DamianTV
01-19-2018, 04:47 PM
https://yro.slashdot.org/story/18/01/19/2210246/trump-signs-surveillance-extension-into-law

President Trump took to Twitter this afternoon to announce that he has signed a six-year renewal of a powerful government surveillance tool. "Just signed 702 Bill to authorize foreign intelligence collection," Trump tweeted. "This is NOT the same FISA law that was so wrongly abused during the election. I will always do the right thing for our country and put the safety of the American people first!" The Hill reports:

Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA), which the Senate voted to renew with a few small tweaks this week, allows the U.S. to spy on foreigners overseas. The intelligence community says the program is a critical tool in identifying and disrupting terror plots. But the broader surveillance law, which governs U.S. spying on foreigners, has become politically entangled with the controversy over the federal investigation into Trump's campaign and Russia. Some Republicans have claimed that the FBI inappropriately obtained a politically motivated FISA warrant to spy on Trump during the transition and on Friday, Capitol Hill was consumed with speculation about a four-page memo produced by House Intelligence Committee Republicans that some GOP lawmakers hinted contained evidence of such wrongdoing.

Yeah, way to continue making things unbetter.

Swordsmyth
01-19-2018, 04:56 PM
He may intend to use it against his enemies and get rid of it later but that is a BAD idea.

https://i.imgflip.com/1l8wdw.jpg

dannno
01-19-2018, 04:57 PM
https://yro.slashdot.org/story/18/01/19/2210246/trump-signs-surveillance-extension-into-law

Yeah, way to continue making things unbetter.

Did you even read what you posted? It is better. Maybe not Ron Paul better, but it's indeed better than what Obama passed.

Taxes are lower, spending is down and regulations are fewer. We have a more pro-Constitutional Supreme Court. More Constitutional Judges everywhere at the Federal level.

That is the DEFINITION of better. Perfect? Far from it. But you might want to lookup what the definition of "better" is in the dictionary..

DamianTV
01-19-2018, 05:01 PM
Did you even read what you posted? It is better. Maybe not Ron Paul better, but it's indeed better than what Obama passed.

I did. Trouble is that any time a tool is built to be used against an "enemy", that same tool inevitably is always used to control its own citizens. This did absolutely nothing to prevent those tools from being either created or used. It only temporarily isnt enabling unlimited surveillance on us, but the more damaging thing is that the infrastructure will be in place for Trumps replacement to come in, and with the flip of a pen, have all that spy tech turned directly against the American people.

Swordsmyth
01-19-2018, 05:03 PM

It could have been HUUUGELY better if he had VETOED IT.

HE DIDN'T, THERE IS NO DEFENDING HIM ON THIS.

dannno
01-19-2018, 05:03 PM
I did. Trouble is that any time a tool is built to be used against an "enemy", that same tool inevitably is always used to control its own citizens. This did absolutely nothing to prevent those tools from being either created or used. It only temporarily isnt enabling unlimited surveillance on us, but the more damaging thing is that the infrastructure will be in place for Trumps replacement to come in, and with the flip of a pen, have all that spy tech turned directly against the American people.

You're really having to twist your words and presume the future to dictate your conclusion.

dannno
01-19-2018, 05:04 PM
It could have been HUUUGELY better if he had VETOED IT.

HE DIDN'T, THERE IS NO DEFENDING HIM ON THIS.

I'm defending him in that what was passed was better than what we had before. That's it. I like things when they are better, than when they are worse. Things have been going in the wrong direction for decades or more. To see things going in the correct direction, for once, is refreshing, and I am grateful. Let's keep it up and not sabotage it all.

Swordsmyth
01-19-2018, 05:14 PM
I'm defending him in that what was passed was better than what we had before. That's it. I like things when they are better, than when they are worse. Things have been going in the wrong direction for decades or more. To see things going in the correct direction, for once, is refreshing, and I am grateful. Let's keep it up and not sabotage it all.

Dump just made things a little worse than they could have been if he had vetoed it, when we are discussing his presidency in general I will take your view but when discussing this specific action I won't, in this case Dump had a decision to make that nobody else had any power over, he could veto it and the worst that could happen would have been an override that gave us the same outcome but that probably wouldn't have the votes it needed or he could sign it and be responsible for not blocking it.

He chose poorly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3rdfI28s0

DamianTV
01-19-2018, 05:17 PM
You're really having to twist your words and presume the future to dictate your conclusion.

Not really, its the same thing every leader before Trump has done, what Trump is doing, and what will continue on long after Trump, if we even still have a country... Topic itself doesnt seem to matter either. War. Tax Reform / Money. Healthcare. Education. We just continue our same trends and occasionally change actors but ALWAYS spit shine something bad as something good.

jkr
01-19-2018, 06:08 PM
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Brian4Liberty
01-19-2018, 06:19 PM
Frodo promised to throw the ring away...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c24-0Amwyik

William Tell
01-19-2018, 06:25 PM
Amash says the opposite.
The #FISA702 (https://twitter.com/hashtag/FISA702?src=hash) bill you signed is much WORSE than the FISA law allegedly abused during the election. The FISA law you mention requires probable cause and a warrant. #FISA702 (https://twitter.com/hashtag/FISA702?src=hash) authorizes unconstitutional, warrantless spying on Americans. Your action puts everyone’s privacy at risk.

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump (https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump)

Just signed 702 Bill to reauthorize foreign intelligence collection. This is NOT the same FISA law that was so wrongly abused during the election. I will always do the right thing for our country and put the safety of the American people first!

https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/954469071399112705

dannno
01-19-2018, 06:34 PM
Amash says the opposite.

God damn advisers..

Swordsmyth
01-19-2018, 06:36 PM
How it should have ended

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFPt6pqTaIo

How it did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaAzJgHt7K8

Or was it this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU_HCHQoxA8

^%$&^%$&^%&^#&^ indoctrination.

William Tell
01-19-2018, 06:36 PM
Is he wrong, how? You are the one saying it's better, he gave a specific reason he thinks it's worse.

dannno
01-19-2018, 06:37 PM
Is he wrong, how? You are the one saying it's better, he gave a specific reason he thinks it's worse.

Trump's advisers.

nikcers
01-19-2018, 06:40 PM
Its new and improved MAGAFISA™

William Tell
01-19-2018, 06:40 PM
Trump's advisers.

Oh, so it is worse than Obama's?

CCTelander
01-19-2018, 06:42 PM
MAGA baby!

dannno
01-19-2018, 06:44 PM
Oh, so it is worse than Obama's?

According to Massie it is, but there are probably some pros and cons on both sides. Wouldn't mind hearing Rand's take, obviously he was against it tho.

enhanced_deficit
01-19-2018, 06:50 PM
God damn advisers..

Only "the best" he's surrounded himself with.

In unrelated news, rumor has it that Syria Powerpoint for Trump was prepared by anti-corruption, anti-nepotism, anti-money laundering champion Javanka.

dannno
01-19-2018, 06:58 PM
Only "the best" he's surrounded himself with.

In unrelated news, rumor has it that Syria Powerpoint for Trump was prepared by anti-corruption, anti-nepotism, anti-money laundering champion Javanka.

His goals and our goals are not exactly the same, but there is a substantial amount of overlap compared to our true enemies.

acptulsa
01-19-2018, 07:15 PM

Taxes are lower...

Deficits are up, and inflation is also a tax. Look at the big picture and you'll see that, including the inflation tax and the higher state taxes because states are getting less of our federal taxes back, taxes are up.

...spending is down...

Are you sure? Because offen--er, I mean defense spending is nearly half of federal expenditures, and that's up.

...and regulations are fewer.

A decrease in the rate of increase is not the same as a cut. This applies to the total number of regulations as surely as it applies to taxes and spending.

We have a more pro-Constitutional Supreme Court. More Constitutional Judges everywhere at the Federal level.

I've heard that before, like when Reagan was in office. Time did not always bear that out.

That is the DEFINITION of better. Perfect? Far from it. But you might want to lookup what the definition of "better" is in the dictionary..

Actually, that's the definition of many things--false hope, sucker moves, the appearance of change without the substance--but "better" is not one of those words. And then there's this inconvenient little fact:

Amash says the opposite.

And he has actually read the bill.

His goals and our goals are not exactly the same, but there is a substantial amount of overlap compared to our true enemies.

Are you talking about his stated goals? Or have you added 'being a psychic' to the impressive list of accomplishments which make you such a legend in your own mind?

God damn advisers..

So what you're saying is, he's our best hope to beat the Deep State at Star Trek Chess, but he can't even beat the people he hired and has the power to fire at that same game?

Well. You've certainly reassured me.

DamianTV
01-19-2018, 08:26 PM
The Devil is always hidden in the details. Although the text of the article I posted in the OP indicates a bias towards this surveillance bill being a "good thing", the real and probably gory details are in the parts we are not reading, the actual text of the bill, now LAW itself.

r3volution 3.0
01-19-2018, 08:37 PM
As we all know, Congress recently passed the FISA bill, over only a handful of objections (Rand, Amash, Massie, etc).

All that remained was for Trump to sign it, which he did earlier today.

U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday said he signed into law a bill renewing the National Security Agency’s warrantless internet surveillance program, sealing a defeat for digital privacy advocates. “Just signed 702 Bill to reauthorize foreign intelligence collection,” Trump wrote on Twitter, referring to legislation passed by the U.S. Congress that extends Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA). The law renews for six years and with minimal changes the National Security Agency (NSA) program, which gathers information from foreigners overseas but incidentally collects an unknown amount of communications belonging to Americans. The measure easily passed the U.S. House of Representatives last week despite mixed signals posted on Twitter by Trump and narrowly avoided a filibuster in the Senate earlier this week that split party lines. The measure had drawn opposition from a coalition of privacy-minded Democrats and libertarian Republicans. In his tweet on Friday, Trump attempted to clarify why he signed the bill despite repeating an unsubstantiated claim that his Democratic predecessor, Barack Obama, ordered intelligence agencies to eavesdrop on Trump’s 2016 Republican presidential campaign. “This is NOT the same FISA law that was so wrongly abused during the election,” Trump wrote. “I will always do the right thing for our country and put the safety of the American people first!”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-cyber-surveillance/trump-signs-bill-renewing-nsas-internet-surveillance-program-idUSKBN1F82MK

Amash responds:

The #FISA702 bill you signed is much WORSE than the FISA law allegedly abused during the election. The FISA law you mention requires probable cause and a warrant. #FISA702 authorizes unconstitutional, warrantless spying on Americans. Your action puts everyone’s privacy at risk.

https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/954469071399112705?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp %5Enews%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

EDIT: oops, didn't see the earlier thread

dannno
01-19-2018, 08:39 PM
Are you sure? Because offen--er, I mean defense spending is nearly half of federal expenditures, and that's up.

Ya, spending decreased, somebody here posted the figures recently I think it was AF.

A decrease in the rate of increase is not the same as a cut. This applies to the total number of regulations as surely as it applies to taxes and spending.

Regulations have been decreased, effectively, within the economy, the cost to the economy and otherwise, there is no doubt about that.

juleswin
01-19-2018, 08:42 PM
Isn't that the law that enabled Obama to spy on him? why in the world would he sign that? wait a minute, unless maybe, just maybe the whole adversarial relation with the democrat played up to the hilt in the MSM and fake alt media is all a fake.

TheTexan
01-19-2018, 09:57 PM
Dont worry, any spying on Americans is incidental and totally not intentional at all

Raginfridus
01-19-2018, 10:20 PM
Good guys have nothing to hide from data miners anyway.

TheTexan
01-19-2018, 10:27 PM
Good guys have nothing to hide from data miners anyway.

Exactly. I know I feel safer, knowing that they are incidentally spying on several people on this forum

oyarde
01-19-2018, 10:48 PM
I do not really understand why a renewal is for six years ?

dannno
01-19-2018, 11:12 PM
Isn't that the law that enabled Obama to spy on him? why in the world would he sign that? wait a minute, unless maybe, just maybe the whole adversarial relation with the democrat played up to the hilt in the MSM and fake alt media is all a fake.

Did you read the OP?

r3volution 3.0
01-20-2018, 12:16 AM
Deficits are up, and inflation is also a tax. Look at the big picture and you'll see that, including the inflation tax and the higher state taxes because states are getting less of our federal taxes back, taxes are up.

I've heard that before, like when Reagan was in office. Time did not always bear that out.

Actually, that's the definition of many things--false hope, sucker moves, the appearance of change without the substance--but "better" is not one of those words. And then there's this inconvenient little fact:

And he has actually read the bill.

Are you talking about his stated goals? Or have you added 'being a psychic' to the impressive list of accomplishments which make you such a legend in your own mind?

So what you're saying is, he's our best hope to beat the Deep State at Star Trek Chess, but he can't even beat the people he hired and has the power to fire at that same game?

Well. You've certainly reassured me.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to acptulsa again

Wooden Indian
01-20-2018, 01:02 AM
Defending this dude at every ugly turn must be exhausting. Kudos for sticking to your guns, biting down on the stick, and grinning while he reams your bottom raw.

I guess it's not just star-struck floozies that lets him do anything he wants to them. Interesting stuff to behold.

Sola_Fide
01-20-2018, 01:40 AM
Make America A Police State Again! Yay liberty!

PAF
02-28-2019, 07:43 AM
Slightly older news (Jan 2018), I searched but did not find it on the forum.

“Just signed 702 Bill to reauthorize foreign intelligence collection,” Trump wrote on Twitter, referring to legislation passed by the U.S. Congress that extends Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA).

The law renews for six years and with minimal changes the National Security Agency (NSA) program.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-cyber-surveillance/trump-signs-bill-renewing-nsas-internet-surveillance-program-idUSKBN1F82MK

Anti Globalist
02-28-2019, 09:52 AM
Well thats not very good.