PDA

View Full Version : Donald Trump cuts red tape

dude58677
12-14-2017, 02:43 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/941406242785955841

r3volution 3.0
12-14-2017, 03:09 PM
The Great Deregulation amounts to cutting a few minor regulations, mostly passed in the last 8 years.

It's draining the ocean with a thimble.

That giant stack of paper representing federal regs won't be visibly smaller by the end of the Trump administration (if it's smaller at all).

McCain/Romney/BushIII would have "accomplished" the same.

Swordsmyth
12-14-2017, 03:14 PM
The Great Deregulation amounts to cutting a few minor regulations, mostly passed in the last 8 years.

It's draining the ocean with a thimble.

That giant stack of paper representing federal regs won't be visibly smaller by the end of the Trump administration (if it's smaller at all).

We shall see.

Krugminator2
12-14-2017, 04:42 PM

Even if he is embellishing his removal of regulations, not adding regulations is a huge win.

Trump put a guy in charge of the EPA who Rand wrote op-eds with and who Rand called the best cabinet pick of his lifetime. Pruitt would have been Rand's nominee to key regulatory position. Pruitt's been great so far. https://soundcloud.com/siriusxm-news-issues/rand-paul-wilkow-epa

Trump appointed a guy (the first person to endorse Rand for President) to head up that Elizabeth Warren created agency who is basically 9 out 10 on a libertarian scale.

Ending net neutrality is a big deal. Fair is fair. Trump has been surprisingly good on the regulatory front.

phill4paul
12-14-2017, 05:36 PM
Even if he is embellishing his removal of regulations, not adding regulations is a huge win.

Trump put a guy in charge of the EPA who Rand wrote op-eds with and who Rand called the best cabinet pick of his lifetime. Pruitt would have been Rand's nominee to key regulatory position. Pruitt's been great so far. https://soundcloud.com/siriusxm-news-issues/rand-paul-wilkow-epa

Trump appointed a guy (the first person to endorse Rand for President) to head up that Elizabeth Warren created agency who is basically 9 out 10 on a libertarian scale.

Ending net neutrality is a big deal. Fair is fair. Trump has been surprisingly good on the regulatory front.

Not for r3v. Trumps not a monarchist. Nothing short of a monarchy would satisfy r3v.

r3volution 3.0
12-14-2017, 05:51 PM
Not for r3v. Trumps not a monarchist. Nothing short of a monarchy would satisfy r3v.

Nothing short of a regulatory reform whose economic impact exceeds the cost of the paper on which the announcement's prinited will satisfy me.

phill4paul
12-14-2017, 05:54 PM
Nothing short of a regulatory reform whose economic impact exceeds the cost of the paper on which the announcement's prinited will satisfy me.

You're in for a lifetime of disappointment. So, by all means, pull your hair out over even trivial gains.

r3volution 3.0
12-14-2017, 06:09 PM
You're in for a lifetime of disappointment. So, by all means, pull your hair out over even trivial gains.

My expectations are low enough that disappointment is virtually impossible.

RJB
12-14-2017, 06:54 PM
My expectations are low enough that disappointment is virtually impossible.

I don't know. You looked pretty disappointed last year:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/9ztJUUoqZyE/maxresdefault.jpg

Zippyjuan
12-14-2017, 06:57 PM
The catch is that even removing a regulation requires a regulation removing the previous one which adds to the total number of them.

Trump is touting the Unified Agenda of Regulatory and Deregulatory Actions. According to data from them, Trump has 3,209 regulations "in play" or proposed for 2017. Some have been acted on, some haven't. They compare that to Obama in 2016 when he had 3,320 regulations "in play". Not that different.

https://cei.org/blog/trumps-new-regulatory-reform-agenda-by-the-numbers

Most of his "cuts" in regulations have been by not allowing proposed new regulations to take place- not by removing existing ones.

(the stacks in the photo-op are all just blank pieces of paper).

nikcers
12-14-2017, 07:21 PM
The catch is that even removing a regulation requires a regulation removing the previous one which adds to the total number of them.

My basement had a rat problem so I dropped in a ton of snakes to take care of them, now what do I do about the snake problem? I think i might feed a bunch of rats tylenol and send them back down to the basement so the snakes eat the rats and then die. What do I do about the rats that don't feel pain now?

Zippyjuan
12-14-2017, 07:25 PM
My basement had a rat problem so I dropped in a ton of snakes to take care of them, now what do I do about the snake problem? I think i might feed a bunch of rats tylenol and send them back down to the basement so the snakes eat the rats and then die. What do I do about the rats that don't feel pain now?

Bring in tigers to eat the snakes. Then you need elephants to drive off the tigers. Then you can bring in rats to chase away the elephants. The circle of life.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
12-15-2017, 05:24 PM

You need a new regulation to rescind a regulation? I never heard that.

phill4paul
12-15-2017, 05:40 PM
Most of his "cuts" in regulations have been by not allowing proposed new regulations to take place- not by removing existing ones.

I consider that a positive.