PDA

View Full Version : Now Rep. Trent Franks (R-Ariz.) is resigning

Valli6
12-07-2017, 05:10 PM
Allegedly, there are "forthcoming claims of inappropriate behavior."

Rep. Trent Franks to resign from Congress
BY REID WILSON AND CRISTINA MARCOS - 12/07/17 05:16 PM EST

Rep. Trent Franks (R-Ariz.) is resigning from Congress, according to two Arizona Republicans with knowledge of the decision.

One source said Franks would resign in the face of what the source described as forthcoming claims of inappropriate behavior.

Franks was mobbed by reporters as he left the House floor on Thursday evening but did not respond to questions.
"I'll let the statement speak for itself," he said.

As the news of his resignation broke, fellow Republicans approached Franks on the House floor, all stone-faced.

Several fellow conservatives sat with Franks, bent their heads and prayed.

Franks represents a safe GOP district northwest of Phoenix.

Arizona Republicans say if and when Gov. Doug Ducey (R) calls a special election, as many as a dozen serious candidates could emerge.

They pointed to state Sens. Debbie Lesko, Kimberly Yee and Steve Montenegro, state Reps. Darin Mitchell and David Livingston, former stare Rep. Rick Gray and Maricopa County Supervisor Clint Hickman as potential contenders.
— Mike Lillis contributed.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/363851-trent-franks-to-resign-from-congres

Swordsmyth
12-07-2017, 05:12 PM
Beat me to it.

Swordsmyth
12-07-2017, 05:14 PM
https://www.thenewamerican.com/freedom-index

Dist.8: Trent Franks (https://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=38&Itemid=828&nameid=F000448) - 73%

I hope his replacement is better not worse.

Swordsmyth
12-07-2017, 05:17 PM
Arizona Republicans say if and when Gov. Doug Ducey (R) calls a special election, as many as a dozen serious candidates could emerge.
They pointed to state Sens. Debbie Lesko, Kimberly Yee and Steve Montenegro, state Reps. Darin Mitchell and David Livingston, former stare Rep. Rick Gray and Maricopa County Supervisor Clint Hickman as potential contenders.

Do we know anything about any of those people?

oyarde
12-07-2017, 06:05 PM

Do we know anything about any of those people? I would hope one could bet 75 % .

Swordsmyth
12-08-2017, 12:56 AM
Eight-term Republican Rep. Trent Franks of Arizona announced Thursday night he is resigning from the U.S. House of Representatives after the House Ethics Committee launched an investigation into his conduct over subordinates.
"I have recently learned that the Ethics Committee is reviewing an inquiry regarding my discussion of surrogacy with two previous female subordinates, making each feel uncomfortable," Franks said in a statement. "I deeply regret that my discussion of this option and process in the workplace caused distress."

More at: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/arizona-gop-rep-trent-franks-announces-resignation-discussing/story?id=51656236

timosman
12-08-2017, 01:01 AM
How much of a moron do you need to be in order not to realize this is not something you should be discussing with your subordinates?

Suzanimal
12-09-2017, 05:34 PM
I'll do it for 5 million.

WASHINGTON — A former aide to Republican Rep. Trent Franks has told the Associated Press the congressman repeatedly pressed her to carry his child, at one point offering her $5 million to act as a surrogate.

The former staffer said the congressman at least four times asked if she’d be willing to act as a surrogate in exchange for money. Franks, in his statement announcing his resignation, said he and his wife, who have struggled with infertility, have twins who were carried through surrogacy.

The former aide said the conversations took place in private, sometimes in the congressman’s car, and that she repeatedly told him she wasn’t interested. She said she never filed a formal complaint because until recently she didn’t know where to go, but that his behavior had made her feel uncomfortable.

“During my time there, I was asked a few times to look over a ‘contract’ to carry his child, and if I would conceive his child, I would be given $5 million,” she said, adding that she refused to look over the contract and has never seen a copy.

The woman said the requests shocked her, and made her feel afraid that if she didn’t agree, she would face professional consequences. She said she spoke to another aide in the office, who had also been approached about surrogacy.

The aide cited the surrogacy requests as “a main reason” for leaving the office, adding that she felt retaliated against after turning down the congressman, ignored by Franks and not given many assignments.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/arizona/2017/12/08/rep-trent-franks-offered-5-million-carry-his-child-former-aide-says/935961001/

enhanced_deficit
12-10-2017, 12:59 PM
Probably just coincidence, a day after he applauded disruptor-in-chief Trump, he has been exited:

Rep. Trent Franks, chair of Israel Allies Caucus, Applauds Trump’s Jerusalem Decision (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?517612-Rep-Trent-Franks-chair-of-Israel-Allies-Caucus-Applauds-Trump%E2%80%99s-Jerusalem-Decision&)
Chair of the Israel Allies Caucus Applauds President Trump’s “Historic and Long Overdue” Decision to Recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s Capital and Move the U.S. Embassy to Jerusalem

December 6, 2017

Related

Mike Pence and Trent Franks Lead Thousands of Christians at CUFI’s Pro-Israel Event
While the Jewish community in some quarters has lately been divided on Israel issues, some 5,000 evangelical Christians will gather in Washington, DC July 17-18 as a granite-like block of support to defend the Jewish State. They will be attending the Christians United for Israel (CUFI) policy conference held each year. Boasting more than 3 million members, CUFI is America’s largest pro-Israel group. A host of political luminaries, led by Vice President Mike Pence and Rep. Trent Franks (R-AZ), will appear at this year’s conference, sited in the Washington Convention Center. Israeli Prime Minister Bibi Netanyahu will appear via live satellite feed.