PDA

View Full Version : US Homeless Rates Rise First Time In A Decade: Entirely West Coast Problem

angelatc
12-06-2017, 06:29 PM
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-number-of-homeless-people-rises-on-american-streets-1512595311

https://apnews.com/47662ad74baf4bb09f40619e4fd25a94/West-Coast-crisis-leads-to-rise-in-US-homeless-population

But before Zipster chimes in with some anti-Trump rhetoric, I'd like to point out that the East Coast actually decreased their homelessness rates, while flyover country maintained a level number. The increases are entirely on the west coast, suggesting that something is very, very wrong with their liberal policies.

https://storage.googleapis.com/afs-prod/media/media:b2df393c7e2146ff85c9a3ad884a370e/800.jpeg

Zippyjuan
12-06-2017, 07:34 PM
From the report:

City officials, homeless advocates and those living on the streets point to a main culprit: the region’s booming economy .

Rents have soared beyond affordability for many lower-wage workers who until just a just few years ago could typically find a place to stay. Now, even a temporary setback can be enough to leave them out on the streets.

kahless
12-06-2017, 07:55 PM
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-number-of-homeless-people-rises-on-american-streets-1512595311

https://apnews.com/47662ad74baf4bb09f40619e4fd25a94/West-Coast-crisis-leads-to-rise-in-US-homeless-population

But before Zipster chimes in with some anti-Trump rhetoric, I'd like to point out that the East Coast actually decreased their homelessness rates, while flyover country maintained a level number. The increases are entirely on the west coast, suggesting that something is very, very wrong with their liberal policies.

Liberal policies, open borders zealots and the Silicon Valley CEO's that don't give a damn about investing in their communities or hiring the people in the communities for which they are located. Importing foreign slave labor is their number one priority so no surprise they do not give a damn about homeless Americans.

Swordsmyth
12-06-2017, 08:08 PM
From the report:
City officials, homeless advocates and those living on the streets point to a main culprit: the region’s booming economy .

Rents have soared beyond affordability for many lower-wage workers who until just a just few years ago could typically find a place to stay. Now, even a temporary setback can be enough to leave them out on the streets.

It's a government caused crisis, a free market would have prevented it.

Zippyjuan
12-06-2017, 08:53 PM
It's a government caused crisis, a free market would have prevented it.

What would a free-market solution to homelessness be? People are homeless for different reasons. Some lost their jobs or faced another tragedy in their lives. Some are mentally ill. Some are addicted to drugs or alcohol. Can you find a home for everybody?

Swordsmyth
12-06-2017, 08:59 PM
What would a free-market solution to homelessness be? People are homeless for different reasons. Some lost their jobs or faced another tragedy in their lives. Some are mentally ill. Some are addicted to drugs or alcohol. Can you find a home for everybody?

Don't move the goalposts, THIS crisis as opposed to all homelessness is the subject.

A free market would have allowed many more homes to be built and kept rents/purchase costs down.

There are many other ways that liberal government contributes to the problem as well.

Zippyjuan
12-06-2017, 09:10 PM
Don't move the goalposts, THIS crisis as opposed to all homelessness is the subject.

A free market would have allowed many more homes to be built and kept rents/purchase costs down.

There are many other ways that liberal government contributes to the problem as well.

So there is lots of space in Los Angeles where they can build enough homes for everybody who wants one. We just need to let them be built.

The Northbreather
12-06-2017, 09:29 PM

https://storage.googleapis.com/afs-prod/media/media:b2df393c7e2146ff85c9a3ad884a370e/800.jpeg
West Coast.

Best weather, best tweak, best welfare.

angelatc
12-06-2017, 09:43 PM
From the report:
City officials, homeless advocates and those living on the streets point to a main culprit: the region’s booming economy

Dumb things liberals say.

angelatc
12-06-2017, 09:47 PM
So there is lots of space in Los Angeles where they can build enough homes for everybody who wants one. We just need to let them be built.

Specifically, the laws against building up has created a housing shortage as well as a traffic nightmare.

Here's an article about a different problem: bureaucrats. (http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-pol-ca-housing-supply/)

Despite soaring demand for housing in the Bay Area, the city hasn’t approved any new development projects in more than five years.

....many of those local governments have made it even more difficult to build new housing.

More than two-thirds of California’s coastal communities have adopted measures — such as caps on population or housing growth, or building height limits — aimed at limiting residential development,

Origanalist
12-06-2017, 09:48 PM
I dont,know about the east coast, but over here there are a shitload of people who would rather live in homeless camps and panhandle then work to support themselves.

And the liberal idiots around here give them enough that they can do it.

phill4paul
12-06-2017, 09:52 PM

Well, thank goodness the L.A. government is returning the tiny homes, built by the free market and caring individuals, they confiscated after being excoriated for it.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-tiny-houses-return-20160421-story.html

phill4paul
12-06-2017, 09:57 PM
I dont,know about the east coast, but over here there are a shitload of people who would rather live in homeless camps and panhandle then work to support themselves.

Perhaps some just got tired of beating their heads against a wall due to government licensing, taxing, ordinancing and legislating them into a situation where they just said "fuck it, In the "Land of the Free" I have more freedom living in the shadows than I do living a "normal" life?"

r3volution 3.0
12-06-2017, 10:15 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoning

Origanalist
12-07-2017, 08:58 AM
Perhaps some just got tired of beating their heads against a wall due to government licensing, taxing, ordinancing and legislating them into a situation where they just said "fuck it, In the "Land of the Free" I have more freedom living in the shadows than I do living a "normal" life?"

I know plenty of those, but they aren't standing on corners with a "please help me" sign not willing to work for anything at all. It's a epidemic around here. I've seen them fight for exclusive rights to the best off ramps.

gaazn
12-07-2017, 09:09 AM
Homelessness is way under-reported! Multi-genrational households skyrocketing. Too many addicts bunking with friends. Lot of people with outstanding warrants but can't get arrested cuz the Police can't find them.

oyarde
12-07-2017, 09:10 AM
From the report:

Personally I do not believe that . I doubt these homeless are employed.

oyarde
12-07-2017, 09:12 AM

Thats how I see it .

oyarde
12-07-2017, 09:15 AM

Probably little that can be done for the mentally ill . The other major disease is laziness . No help should be given for that .

Origanalist
12-07-2017, 09:17 AM
Probably little that can be done for the mentally ill . The other major disease is laziness . No help should be given for that .

This^^^^

nikcers
12-07-2017, 12:15 PM
The class warfare won't stop until we are all dependent on the state. The government terrorists hate us because we are free. These are the victims of corporate welfare, debt monetization and our never-ending war spending.

Zippyjuan
12-07-2017, 02:05 PM
West Coast.

Best weather, best tweak, best welfare.

It IS easier to be homeless where you don't have to worry much about the weather.

euphemia
12-07-2017, 05:07 PM
The free market solution to homelessness and poverty is to have ways for poor people to accumulate wealth through property ownership. That will never happen until property owners are truly free to do what they want with what they own. Property values grow over time, and even a tiny lot would be worth more in a year or so.

Zippyjuan
12-08-2017, 12:55 PM
The free market solution to homelessness and poverty is to have ways for poor people to accumulate wealth through property ownership. That will never happen until property owners are truly free to do what they want with what they own. Property values grow over time, and even a tiny lot would be worth more in a year or so.

Should we then offer property for free to homeless people? If they are poor, how do they acquire property? If the value of property always goes up, don't you reach a point where not everybody can afford it?

Anti Federalist
12-08-2017, 02:15 PM

Yup, this.

Why kill yourself supporting an entire system that hates you?

angelatc
12-08-2017, 03:31 PM
It IS easier to be homeless where you don't have to worry much about the weather.

Zip, this isn't a good thread for ya. Alaska is right there on the top 10 list.

angelatc
12-08-2017, 03:32 PM

Zippyjuan
12-08-2017, 03:48 PM

Alaska was one of the declining states.

euphemia
12-08-2017, 05:18 PM
Should we then offer property for free to homeless people? If they are poor, how do they acquire property? If the value of property always goes up, don't you reach a point where not everybody can afford it?

No. You don't give anything away. You allow people to purchase a very small unit of housing at a very low rate. I have suggested some options other places, but nobody seems to have any ideas how to do it. I think without the regulations and whatever, tiny 1/8th shares could be zoned for whatever people wanted to put there as long as they had a mailbox and lived there permanently. Means testing would be helpful so rich developers didn't price the poor out of the market. I think some empty schools could be converted and sold as units. The main thing is that they would have to be near transportation.

Zippyjuan
12-08-2017, 05:28 PM
No. You don't give anything away. You allow people to purchase a very small unit of housing at a very low rate. I have suggested some options other places, but nobody seems to have any ideas how to do it. I think without the regulations and whatever, tiny 1/8th shares could be zoned for whatever people wanted to put there as long as they had a mailbox and lived there permanently. Means testing would be helpful so rich developers didn't price the poor out of the market. I think some empty schools could be converted and sold as units. The main thing is that they would have to be near transportation.

"A very low rate"- so government subsidized housing? If they are homeless, they are also most likely unemployed. How do they pay for any payments or upkeep on the property? They are trying to figure out where their next meal is coming from.

Means testing would be helpful so rich developers didn't price the poor out of the market.

So below market prices. Many cities do have low income housing programs already.

Homesteading doesn't work very well in large cities.

Getting a job and a place to live certainly help. They assume a person is also willing and able to change how they are living.

Krugminator2
12-08-2017, 05:55 PM
When you adjust for cost of living, 23.8% of people in California live in poverty. To put that in perspective states that are typically considered poor have much lower poverty rate. Kentucky 13.6%, Alabama 13.5 Mississippi- 16.1% https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_poverty_rate

California's "compassion" for the poor with their highest in the country top tax rate and "concern" for the Mother Earth has resulted in the highest poverty rate in the nation. California is what you get when you have smug people who make policy in the name of the public good but really act in their own crony interests. They say they are protecting the environment by restricting housing development but are really just keeping supply low to drive home prices up.

angelatc
12-08-2017, 06:46 PM
"A very low rate"- so government subsidized housing? If they are homeless, they are also most likely unemployed. How do they pay for any payments or upkeep on the property? They are trying to figure out where their next meal is coming from.

So below market prices. Many cities do have low income housing programs already.

Homesteading doesn't work very well in large cities.

Getting a job and a place to live certainly help. They assume a person is also willing and able to change how they are living.

Good lord- why are you allowed to troll this economic nonsense? Prices are a function of demand. Including wage prices. Subsidies only serve to suppress wages.

angelatc
12-08-2017, 06:49 PM
Alaska was one of the declining states.

So are Mass and VT. But according to your logic, those states should never have been top 10 anyway, because of the climate.

Zippyjuan
12-08-2017, 06:57 PM
So are Mass and VT. But according to your logic, those states should never have been top 10 anyway, because of the climate.

Alaska has some peculiarities. One is the sun going away for part of the year- the odd daylight and darkness can lead to depression. Alaska is one of the biggest states for alcoholism. They also support the homeless more- they use money the state collects in oil royalties for that. I was in Juneau and they have a place where they can stay and be fed for free. That- despite the weather- makes it easier to be homeless. The only catch is that they can't hang out there during the day. Everybody gets checks every year from the oil revenue fund (with the drop in the price of oil, the only paid out $1000 last year).

Another impact of that darkness is that most jobs are seasonal- Juneau basically shuts down between the middle/ end of September and March.

https://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/ExcessiveAlcohol2.png

Occam's Banana
12-08-2017, 08:26 PM
Should we then offer property for free to homeless people?

Who is "we?" And whose property is it that you are proposing to "offer ... for free?"

Anyone who owns or can acquire property can certainly engage in charitable or other privately subsidized efforts to provide homes & property to those who cannot afford it.

But that is made far more difficult by government's myriad forceful interventions in the market (such as prohibitive zoning laws, to name just one).

If they are poor, how do they acquire property?

"Poor" does not mean "without money or assets." And as relatively more difficult as it may for the poor to acquire property, the effort is made much more difficult - even impossibly so - by interventionist government policies (such as those deliberately engineered to artificially prop up or inflate real estate values).

If the value of property always goes up, don't you reach a point where not everybody can afford it?

Sorry, I stopped reading after the bolded.

Zippyjuan
12-08-2017, 08:33 PM
"Poor" does not mean "without money or assets." And as relatively more difficult as it may for the poor to acquire property, the effort is made much more difficult - even impossibly so - by interventionist government policies (such as those deliberately engineered to artificially prop up or inflate real estate values).

Would you say that homeless people have assets? Even if given property from whatever source could they have the resources to maintain it?

Sorry, I stopped reading after the bolded.

That was a claim that euphemia made- not me. Her concept:

Occam's Banana
12-08-2017, 09:30 PM
Would you say that homeless people have assets?

I am sure that some do (especially among those who are homeless by choice - and there are such people).

And my point is that even if they don't, the government makes it inordinately more difficult than it already would have been for them (and any other poor people) to acquire real property, either through their own efforts or via charitable or privately subsidized endeavors.

Even if given property from whatever source could they have the resources to maintain it?

Some would and some would not. So what? What has that got to do with anything? "They" are not monolithically homogenous.

And presumably, those sources of charity and other private subsidies which provide such property would also have an interest in providing assistance in this regard, if necessary. It would also be more likely to result in better maintenance than is evident in such tragic commons as public housing projects. (It certainly couldn't get much worse.) And for those who are chronically unable or unwilling to own or maintain such property, there is always the already well-known avenue of shelters, food banks, etc. (which government also manages to diligently obstruct and retard).

Danke
12-08-2017, 09:58 PM
When you adjust for cost of living, 23.8% of people in California live in poverty. To put that in perspective states that are typically considered poor have much lower poverty rate. Kentucky 13.6%, Alabama 13.5 Mississippi- 16.1% https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_poverty_rate

California's "compassion" for the poor with their highest in the country top tax rate and "concern" for the Mother Earth has resulted in the highest poverty rate in the nation. California is what you get when you have smug people who make policy in the name of the public good but really act in their own crony interests. They say they are protecting the environment by restricting housing development but are really just keeping supply low to drive home prices up.

Driving away from a funeral today I put on NPR on the radio. They discussed how expensive it is for people to find affordable housing in LA. The solution of course is government needs to provide more funds to provide such housing. Not that government to get out of manipulating monetary policies that drive down wages And inflate prices.

TheTexan
12-08-2017, 10:21 PM

A free market would never be able to completely end homelessness, hunger, or poverty.

But with enough government I'm sure we can fix it

Danke
12-08-2017, 10:26 PM
A free market would never be able to completely end homelessness, hunger, or poverty.

But with enough government I'm sure we can fix it

Texas has a lot of open land. California should just send their homeless there. Texans are a very compassionate people.

TheTexan
12-08-2017, 11:40 PM
Texas has a lot of open land. California should just send their homeless there. Texans are a very compassionate people.

Yes, there's only maybe a 10% chance that they'd be shot on sight as soon as they trespassed on someone's property.

Well, maybe 20%

tod evans
12-09-2017, 03:55 AM

Hunger is a great motivator...

NorthCarolinaLiberty
12-09-2017, 04:26 AM
Time to ride the rails, man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj4nJ1YEAp4