PDA

View Full Version : Leftists are coming for the Christmas Carols

jllundqu
11-30-2017, 10:52 AM
This is what it has come to, folks. This civil war and/or economic collapse can't come fast enough, imo.

https://www.indy100.com/article/baby-its-cold-outside-consent-song-drink-spiked-feminist-feminism-christmas-misogyny-8084571

If you know the song "Baby It's Cold Outside" you'll know it's a long-time Christmas anthem with creepy undertones.

The song centres on a woman making excuses to leave as a man tries to persuade her to stay.

Particularly creepy lines are:

Woman: I ought to say, no, no, no sir

Man: Mind if I move in closer?

Woman: At least I'm gonna say that I tried

Man: What's the sense in hurtin' my pride?

and

Woman: So really I'd better scurry

Man: Beautiful please don't hurry

Woman: But maybe just a half a drink more

Man: Put some records on while I pour

Woman: The neighbours might think

Man: Baby, it's bad out there

Woman: Say what's in this drink?

Man: No cabs to be had out there

The drinks line particularly has been the subject of distaste in recent years.

More at link...

I hate people.

jllundqu
11-30-2017, 10:54 AM
https://embed.tumblr.com/embed/post/vGC_x2ncinVzo7Pg2rz42A/154013148291?

Lamp
11-30-2017, 10:58 AM
Kwanzaa is always an option.

http://img.youtube.com/vi/lwn7z1GE2D0/maxresdefault.jpg

jllundqu
11-30-2017, 11:01 AM
Kwanzaa is always an option.

I was always more of a Yule guy myself. I'm not Christian so Christmas is more a 'tradition' and celebration of traditional values than a Christian holiday...for me anyway

Anti Federalist
11-30-2017, 11:07 AM
I've always hated that song, since it has nothing to do with Christmas, but just a dialogue of some guy trying to get into some broad's panties.

But since the Bolsheviks and SJWs have been looking to do a hatchet job on it, I'll put it in regular rotation, if to do nothing else but piss them off.

Raginfridus
11-30-2017, 11:08 AM
with creepy undertones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OnpkDWbeJs

MSM can't decide which side of "the fence" its on:

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=christmas+party+movie&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

specsaregood
11-30-2017, 12:43 PM
I've always hated that song, since it has nothing to do with Christmas, but just a dialogue of some guy trying to get into some broad's panties.

But since the Bolsheviks and SJWs have been looking to do a hatchet job on it, I'll put it in regular rotation, if to do nothing else but piss them off.

I think I'll have to ask the DW to learn to duet that one with me for this years Christmas party.

Swordsmyth
11-30-2017, 01:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpDLpz88V-I

Ender
11-30-2017, 01:39 PM
This is what it has come to, folks. This civil war and/or economic collapse can't come fast enough, imo.

I hate people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEscJnV8whA

oyarde
11-30-2017, 01:47 PM

I agree , song has nothing to do with Christmas and I never liked it but if it makes nutjobs cry I will play it .

brushfire
11-30-2017, 01:58 PM
buncha rapists... Angry sociopaths.

Superfluous Man
11-30-2017, 02:11 PM
Is it just me or has that song had a surge of popularity over the past decade?

It's been around since the early 20th century. But when I saw Elf and it had that song in it, it seemed like a song that I hadn't heard many times before that. And ever since then, it's been one of the mainstays of Christmas music on the radio and in stores, which I figure probably has something to do with the fact that it's about premarital sex and not Christmas.

And that's the irony of the narrative of the OP. So now this kind of song is called a "Christmas Carol"? And the people who object to highjacking Christmas music with this kind of stuff are leftists?

Swordsmyth
11-30-2017, 02:14 PM

It's been around since the early 20th century. But when I saw Elf and it had that song in it, it seemed like a song that I hadn't heard many times before that. And ever since then, it's been one of the mainstays of Christmas music on the radio and in stores, which I figure probably has something to do with the fact that it's about sex and not Christmas.

And that's the irony of the narrative of the OP. So now this kind of song is called a "Christmas Carol"? And the people who object to highjacking Christmas music with this kind of stuff are leftists?

I don't think it is a Christmas carol and I don't particularly care for it but the hysteria is getting out of control.

oyarde
11-30-2017, 02:17 PM

It's been around since the early 20th century. But when I saw Elf and it had that song in it, it seemed like a song that I hadn't heard many times before that. And ever since then, it's been one of the mainstays of Christmas music on the radio and in stores, which I figure probably has something to do with the fact that it's about sex and not Christmas.

Leftists are Godless and know no Christmas Carols .

Superfluous Man
11-30-2017, 02:19 PM
I don't think it is a Christmas carol and I don't particularly care for it but the hysteria is getting out of control.

To be honest, I rather like the song. But I feel a tad bit guilty about that.

I agree about the hysteria.

The biggest thing that distinguishes "Baby It's Cold Outside" from a lot of today's popular music is that it only has innuendo. So it's silly to pick on it. And it's definitely not about sexual assault.

Origanalist
11-30-2017, 02:35 PM

It's been around since the early 20th century. But when I saw Elf and it had that song in it, it seemed like a song that I hadn't heard many times before that. And ever since then, it's been one of the mainstays of Christmas music on the radio and in stores, which I figure probably has something to do with the fact that it's about premarital sex and not Christmas.

It's had a surge in popularity as has everything non Christian about Christmas. The progressives just can't stop themselves, everything offends them.

phill4paul
11-30-2017, 02:40 PM
F'em. It's in our Holiday rotation and me and the missus duet it together. We like the Dean Martin and Doris Day version w/ whiskey on the rocks.

dannno
11-30-2017, 02:45 PM
If this lady is so 'creeped out'..

Woman: But maybe just a half a drink more

Woman: The neighbours might think

It sounds more like she wants to stay but she is afraid that the neighbors, society and possibly the guy she is with will think she is slutty if she gives quickly.. so she is drawing it out, that way she doesn't seem as easy.

Women often decide against having sex, not because they don't want to, but because of what others might think of them. Their reputation.

So when a man is persuading a woman to have sex, and it happens over a long course of time, often times he is trying to persuade a woman who wants to have sex with him and would do so more quickly if it weren't for these dynamics we see in budding relationships.

But the thing is, the woman will almost NEVER admit this. It may be difficult to tell if a woman is standoffish because of her reputation being at stake or whether she is undecided about the man she is with or whether she is actually scared of the "cold outside". Because women rarely share those type of feelings and insecurities.

But from past experience, many men will press on in the attempts to seduce a woman because they know that if they try hard enough, eventually the "reputation" issue wears off. That's because if the man puts in a lot of effort, then when she does finally sleep with him she doesn't seem as "easy". Whereas if she didn't put up any resistance, she would come off as being "easy".

It baffles me that society and women don't talk about these issues when we talk about men pursuing women sexually and how at times they can be a bit aggressive (not talking physical force). Because it works. Because clearly, women want a man to be aggressive (again, not physical force (at least not typically)), but to put in a substantial amount of effort so that she feels better about sleeping with him, and that it may result in a more long lasting relationship because of it.

Sonny Tufts
11-30-2017, 03:00 PM
The song was written by Frank Loesser (who also wrote the music and lyrics for Guys and Dolls) in 1944. It was later used in an Esther Williams movie, for which Loesser received the Oscar for best original song. The Wikipedia article has an interesting comment on the lyrics, especially footnotes 4 and 5:

The lyrics in this duet are designed to be heard as a conversation between two people, identified as "mouse" (usually female) and "wolf" (usually male) on the printed score; they have returned to the wolf's home after a date, and the mouse decides it is time to go home, but the wolf flirtatiously invites the mouse to stay as it is late and "it's cold outside." The mouse wants to stay and enjoy herself, but feels obligated to return home, worried what family and neighbors will think if she stays.[3] Every line in the song features a statement from the mouse followed by a response from the wolf, which is musically known as a call and response song.

Although some critical analyses of the song have highlighted parts of the lyrics such as "What's in this drink?" and the wolf's unrelenting pressure to stay despite the mouse's repeated suggestions that she should go home,[4] others noted that cultural expectations of the time period were such that women were not socially permitted to spend the night with a boyfriend or fiance, and that the mouse states that she wants to stay, while "What's in this drink?" was a common idiom of the period used to rebuke social expectations by blaming one's actions on the influence of alcohol.[4][5]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby,_It%27s_Cold_Outside

If the original lyrics seem too offensive to the PC police, they should try the revision by Homer & Jethro and June Carter, first recorded in 1949.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfV0vF0RHeE

phill4paul
11-30-2017, 03:06 PM
From last year same subject: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?505460-Couple-rewrites-Baby-It-s-Cold-Outside-to-emphasize-importance-of-consent

The protagonists in the duet are flirting with each other. For Christ sakes! These kids are warping over 50's morality?

Dean-O even retorted...

I ought to say, no, no, no sir (mind if I move in closer?)

He's fucking asking consent!

Enjoy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--2Mwp7X-X0

I really can't stay (but baby, it's cold outside)
I've got to go away (but baby, it's cold outside)

This evening has been (been hoping that you'd drop in)
So very nice (I'll hold your hands, they're just like ice)

My mother will start to worry (beautiful what's your hurry?)
My father will be pacing the floor (listen to the fireplace roar)

So really I'd better scurry (beautiful please don't hurry)
But maybe just a half a drink more (put some records on while I pour)

The neighbors might think (baby, it's bad out there)
Say what's in this drink? (no cabs to be had out there)

I wish I knew how (your eyes are like starlight now)
To break this spell (i'll take your hat, your hair looks swell)

I ought to say, no, no, no sir (mind if I move in closer?)
At least I'm gonna say that I tried (what's the sense in hurtin' my pride?)

I really can't stay (oh baby don't hold out)
But baby, it's cold outside

I simply must go (but baby, it's cold outside)
The answer is no (but baby, it's cold outside)

Your welcome has been (how lucky that you dropped in)
So nice and warm (look out the window at this dawn)

My sister will be suspicious (gosh your lips look delicious)
My brother will be there at the door (waves upon the tropical shore)

My maiden aunts mind is vicious (gosh your lips are delicious)
But maybe just a cigarette more (never such a blizzard before)

I've gotta get home(but baby, you'd freeze out there)
Say lend me a coat(it's up to your knees out there)

You've really been grand (I thrill when you touch my hand)
But don't you see? (how can you do this thing to me?)

There's bound to be talk tomorrow (think of my lifelong sorrow)
At least there will be plenty implied (if you got pnuemonia and died)

I really can't stay (get over that old out)
Baby, it's cold
Baby, it's cold outside

Read more: Dean Martin - Baby, It's Cold Outside Lyrics | MetroLyrics

It's not about rape it's about romance...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq7Do1kK-r4

shakey1
11-30-2017, 04:10 PM
Kinda like this version...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUHJVkF-IUA

Brian4Liberty
11-30-2017, 04:31 PM
It's had a surge in popularity as has everything non Christian about Christmas. The progressives just can't stop themselves, everything offends them.

Winner. It was all part of the push to replace Christian Christmas with secular Christmas. And the irony is that they can take a problem that they created, turn it around, and start a fight with Christians over it.

What does a Red Nosed Reindeer that visits the Island of LGBTQHB Toys have to do with Christian Christmas?

dannno
11-30-2017, 04:34 PM
My favorite version is with Bill Cosby and Taylor Swift

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4yD13EV3Wc

Lamp
11-30-2017, 05:07 PM
Ooooh someone seems awfuwwy mad over nothing.

http://dirtyhorror.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/american-psycho-bateman.jpeg

tod evans
11-30-2017, 05:22 PM
Upon reading liberal and Christmas carol in the title I had to post this obviously racist song...:rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S-IidmcSN8

Swordsmyth
11-30-2017, 05:31 PM
Upon reading liberal and Christmas carol in the title I had to post this obviously racist song...:rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S-IidmcSN8

Snow is racist, notice how it avoids Africa and the American south.:rolleyes:

tod evans
11-30-2017, 06:36 PM
Snow is racist, notice how it avoids Africa and the American south.:rolleyes:

Annnnnnnnd.................It's (Boogity-Boogity) white...........Shudder.:eek:

Anti Federalist
11-30-2017, 09:16 PM
A Christmas Story is racist.

Does not have enough PoCs and weirdosexuals.

And all you white people that enjoy the movie are racist too, by extension.

Dreaming of a white “Christmas Story”: A Yuletide classic’s “color-blind” racism

Under its surface, the innocent-seeming Reagan-era classic reveals much about America’s shifting racial narrative

https://www.salon.com/2016/12/24/dreaming-of-a-white-christmas-story-a-yuletide-classics-colorblind-racism/

CHAUNCEY DEVEGA

12.24.2016•10:30 AM

In America, the Christmas season is a time of rituals. Consumerism is worshiped. Family and friends gather to eat copious amounts of unhealthy food. Twice-a-year Christians (if you include Easter) dress up and attend church so that they can lord their supposed piety over other people during the upcoming year. There is football. And an estimated 40 million people will watch the annual 24-hour marathon of “A Christmas Story” that is shown on both TBS and TNT.

(In the interest of full disclosure: I will be switching back and forth between the "Kaiju Christmas" Godzilla marathon on the El Rey network and “A Christmas Story.”)
Film and TV are not perfect ciphers or mirrors for society. But they do reveal a great deal about ourselves and the broader community in which we live: what stories are told and which ones are not? Who gets to speak? Who is silenced? What groups are placed front and center in American — and global — popular culture? Which groups are marginalized or at the periphery? Whose experiences are erased? Likewise, whose experiences and perspectives are depicted as“normal” and “universal?” Perhaps most important, how do popular media (and pop culture more generally) help to inform how we think about our identities as human beings?
When cultural critics debate the merits of “representation,” these are the fundamental questions they focus on. But such conversations are ultimately about much more than the role of gender in the uneven, not very funny and unsatisfying "Ghostbusters" remake or how racial and ethnic diversity (and perhaps even sexual orientation) helps make the excellent new "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" a compelling depiction of George Lucas’ wondrous film universe. On a fundamental level, questions of representation are always debates about social and political power.
“A Christmas Story," co-written and directed by Bob Clark of “Porky’s” fame, was released in 1983. It's a dark comedy based on the semi-autobiographical short stories of Jean Shepherd, as originally collected in the book “In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash.” While the interior scenes were mostly filmed in Cleveland, “A Christmas Story” is set in the fictional community of Hohman, Indiana, circa 1939. (Shepherd was in fact raised in Hammond, Indiana, which only sounds fictional).
The plot is straightforward: A 9-year-old boy named Ralphie is obsessed with getting a Red Ryder BB gun for Christmas. He engages in a deliberate and elaborate campaign to convince his parents to buy him that prized Red Ryder BB gun. Along the way, Ralphie negotiates with Santa Claus and his teacher, fights off a horrible bully and partakes in episodes of fantasy, melodrama and adventure.
I was about 10 years old myself when I first watched “A Christmas Story.” I laughed a lot and found it a sophisticated antidote to Christmas classics like “Miracle on 34th Street” or “It’s a Wonderful Life.” But as I grew older I realized that something was not quite right about the movie. I began to wonder — as I did while watching “Star Wars: A New Hope” when it was first released — where were the black and brown people? Where were the people who looked like me?
As bell hooks, James Snead, the late Stuart Hall and others have eloquently described, this is an uncomfortable but very common experience for people of color (as well as gays and lesbians and other marginalized groups). When you look at the screen and either a) do not see yourself represented or b) see yourself depicted as a stereotype and caricature (which is itself a type of erasure), this is a moment of awakening and loss of innocence.

Black people are present in “A Christmas Story.” There are several black children in Ralphie’s elementary school classroom and, like their white peers, they participate in pulling a prank on their teacher. There are also some black folks watching the Christmas parade. There is a black man in Black Bart’s gang, which attacks Ralphie's home in a fantasy sequence and are beaten back by his deft use of that Red Ryder BB gun.
The black characters in “A Christmas Story” are present but remain peripheral. They have no real voice or agency. They are shown in an perfectly inoffensive and neutral fashion. They are “present” in much the same way as the minor white characters who are not members of Ralphie’s family or his circle of friends. This is a perfect depiction of the nonwhite "other," tailored to the conservative and superficial “color-blind” politics of the post-civil rights era.
This is an example of the "white racial frame" in action: People of color are present in a way that does not challenge the cultural and personal psychology of white racial innocence. They are present without being objectionable or intrusive in any way; they present no threat to the way whiteness and memory combine to nurture a nostalgia for a “simpler” time that in actuality did not exist.
The stories upon which “A Christmas Story” was based were written during the 1960s and featured reflections on the supposed simplicity of white working-class family and community life in pre-World War II America. The film version of “A Christmas Story” was released in the early years of the Reagan era when a grade-B Hollywood actor turned president was trying to create a halcyon “Morning in America" as a cure for the adult responsibility and reflection demanded by his predecessor, Jimmy Carter.
These yearnings for a particular fictional version of the American past continue to loom large in 2016, as the proto-fascist Donald Trump, promising to “Make America Great Again,” won over tens of millions of angry white voters and captured the White House, apparently with the aid of his foreign sponsor, Vladimir Putin.
Writing for Literary Hub, Kristin Martin described the allure of nostalgia and its connections to the present:
In a country built on sentimental narratives — the American dream, Manifest Destiny — Trump’s call to “Make America Great Again,” with its nostalgia for a non-existent past, is clearly alluring to many Americans who feel fear and anger about the current state of our country’s economic recovery and deadlocked political system. [Wherein] ‘Sentimental Journeys’ New Yorkers bought into the narrative that “crime” was what was wrong with the city, in 2016, Trump voters are buying into a narrative that immigrants, Muslims, political correctness, and the political establishment are what is wrong with the United States.
The particular type of white nostalgia that infuses “A Christmas Story” has no interest in depicting the way Ralphie’s hometown was created by racist housing practices that denied nonwhites access to such spaces. Nor does the white nostalgia of “A Christmas Story” have any room for discussion of the real history of Indiana, a state that was one of the most powerful strongholds of the Ku Klux Klan during the first decades of the 20th century. (It is estimated that one-third of Indiana’s adult white males were KKK members during the 1920s.)
On his radio show, Shepherd even described attending a KKK picnic as a child in Hammond.
To ask hard questions about race, memory and “A Christmas Story” is difficult for many people. The "white gaze" does not enjoy being challenged. This is especially true when it comes to pop culture; white privilege and white fragility all too often result in howls of rage and anger when white folks’ fun and pleasure are disrupted by a person of color’s questions or interventions — or sometimes mere presence. “It's just a movie!” and similar rebuttals are all too often a refusal to look at what is just below the surface.
One of the greatest examples of white privilege is the ability to decide when and how you will be made uncomfortable. That even extends to those semi-conscious moments in front of the television watching “A Christmas Story” over and over again.