PDA

View Full Version : Garrison Keillor Out At NPR. Guess why?

angelatc
11-29-2017, 12:16 PM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2017/11/29/garrison-keillor-fired-alleged-improper-behavior-minnesota-public-radio/905491001/

Garrison Keillor fired for alleged improper behavior by Minnesota Public Radio....

donnay
11-29-2017, 12:19 PM
No more royalties. This is how they wiggle their way out of bad contracts.

Anti Federalist
LOL this whole thing has blown up the Bolshevik's faces.

Although I find this sad.

I like Garrison Keillor.

Once the witch hunt has calmed down, I wonder what the outcome will be?

No more human interaction of any sort allowed?

STATEMENT FROM MINNESOTA PUBLIC RADIO REGARDING GARRISON KEILLOR AND A PRAIRIE HOME COMPANION

https://www.mpr.org/press/2017/11/29/statement-from-minnesota-public-radio-regarding-garrison-keillor-and-a-prairie-home-compa

NOVEMBER 29, 2017

ST. PAUL, Minn. - Minnesota Public Radio (MPR) is terminating its contracts with Garrison Keillor and his private media companies after recently learning of allegations of his inappropriate behavior with an individual who worked with him.

Last month, MPR was notified of the allegations which relate to Mr. Keillor's conduct while he was responsible for the production of A Prairie Home Companion (APHC). MPR President Jon McTaggart immediately informed the MPR Board Chair, and a special Board committee was appointed to provide oversight and ongoing counsel. In addition, MPR retained an outside law firm to conduct an independent investigation of the allegations. Based on what we currently know, there are no similar allegations involving other staff. The attorney leading the independent investigation has been conducting interviews and reviewing documents, and the investigation is still ongoing. We encourage anyone with additional information to call our confidential hotline 1-877-767-7781.

MPR takes these allegations seriously and we are committed to maintaining a safe, respectful and supportive work environment for all employees and everyone associated with MPR. We want a workplace where anyone who experiences unwanted behavior feels comfortable in reporting concerns to MPR. Discrimination, harassment, retaliation or other inappropriate behaviors will not be tolerated.

MPR will end its business relationships with Mr. Keillor's media companies effective immediately. By terminating the contracts, MPR and American Public Media (APM) will:

* end distribution and broadcast of The Writer's Almanac and rebroadcasts of The Best of A Prairie Home Companion hosted by Garrison Keillor;

* change the name of APM's weekly music and variety program hosted by Chris Thile; and,

* separate from the Pretty Good Goods online catalog and the PrairieHome.org website.

MPR and APM will work closely with public radio stations to help make the programming transitions as seamless as possible. "Garrison Keillor has been an important part of the growth and success of MPR, and all of us in the MPR community are saddened by these circumstances," said Jon McTaggart, President of MPR. "While we appreciate the contributions Garrison has made to MPR and to all of public radio, we believe this decision is the right thing to do and is necessary to continue to earn the trust of our audiences, employees and supporters of our public service." "Over the last several weeks, the special Board Committee has worked closely with MPR President Jon McTaggart and legal counsel to review the facts as we know them and carefully consider the implications of the various options," said David Murphy, Chair of the MPR Board of Trustees. "The Board Committee concluded that terminating the Keillor relationships was the appropriate decision and the Board and Jon are aligned in this action. Fortunately, MPR is one of the strongest public broadcasting organizations in the country. We are confident MPR will continue to innovate with programming and content that ensures MPR will remain one of the most valued sources of news, information and entertainment for decades to come."

euphemia
You beat me to it. :p

euphemia
11-29-2017, 12:22 PM
I wonder about that, AF. I'm afraid to talk to anyone in public.

I said the same thing when I had my first *reeducation* class about protecting homosexuals. I think we will soon get to the point where standard courtesies like Mr. Federalist or "sir" and "ma'am" will be considered microaggressions.

Anti Federalist
11-29-2017, 12:28 PM
I wonder about that, AF. I'm afraid to talk to anyone in public.

I said the same thing when I had my first *reeducation* class about protecting homosexuals. I think we will soon get to the point where standard courtesies like Mr. Federalist or "sir" and "ma'am" will be considered microaggressions.

Part of the agenda, I reckon.

Limiting communication and interaction between people was a priority of the state in 1984 for example.

I think an NFG attitude is the best response.

Anti Federalist
11-29-2017, 12:28 PM
Ya beat me by three minutes...mods merge please.

angelatc
11-29-2017, 12:29 PM
I stole your title :D

euphemia
11-29-2017, 12:42 PM
I stole your title :D

Happy to share.

Raginfridus
11-29-2017, 12:55 PM
Is this the guy with the pretentious voice? And how comes da hawt womyns don't get fired for inappropriations, just the nasty old men?

angelatc
11-29-2017, 12:59 PM
Is this the guy with the pretentious voice? And how comes da hawt womyns don't get fired for inappropriations, just the nasty old men?

It's sort of a shame that SNL isn't edgy any more. There's a slew of Prairie Home Companion jokes dying in the name of PC.

Brian4Liberty
11-29-2017, 01:02 PM
I, for one, feel much safer now.

brushfire
11-29-2017, 01:23 PM
LOL this whole thing has blown up the Bolshevik's faces.

Although I find this sad.

I like Garrison Keillor.

Listened to him for years, even been to his live show - (had to hold my nose during his monologues, he's a raging liberal/big government guy)

I can only imagine what he might have said to his victims... Did he do the Guy Noir skit?

Or was it? ...a-beep bop a-reebop a-rhubarb pie!

Zippyjuan
11-29-2017, 01:33 PM
http://www.startribune.com/garrison-keillor-reportedly-fired-for-improper-behavior/460802703/#1

In an email to the Star Tribune Wednesday, Keillor said, “I put my hand on a woman’s bare back. I meant to pat her back after she told me about her unhappiness and her shirt was open and my hand went up it about six inches. She recoiled. I apologized. I sent her an email of apology later and she replied that she had forgiven me and not to think about it. We were friends. We continued to be friendly right up until her lawyer called.”

Keillor even managed a joke of sorts: “Getting fired is a real distinction in broadcasting and I’ve waited fifty years for the honor. All of my heroes got fired. I only wish it could’ve been for something more heroic.”

Then he turned more serious: “Anyone who ever was around my show can tell you that I was the least physically affectionate person in the building. Actors hug, musicians hug, people were embracing every Saturday night left and right, and I stood off in the corner like a stone statue.

“If I had a dollar for every woman who asked to take a selfie with me and who slipped an arm around me and let it drift down below the beltline, I’d have at least a hundred dollars. So this is poetic irony of a high order. But I’m just fine. I had a good long run and am grateful for it and for everything else.”

phill4paul
11-29-2017, 01:51 PM

"A world in which there is no sexual harassment at all is a world in which there will not be any flirtation." Garrison Keillor

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/11/29/567241644/garrison-keillor-accused-of-inappropriate-behavior-minnesota-public-radio-says

He didn't toe the line and spoke out in defense of Franken in a WaPo opinion piece. He had to be silenced.

Raginfridus
11-29-2017, 02:07 PM

Ever-naked LGBTQ shall screw wildly in the streets in broad daylight, while cisgender straights must shave their heads, wear gray turtle necks and gray trousers, and remain on their devices at all times, unless a police officer or TSA requires their fullest cooperation.

specsaregood
11-29-2017, 02:21 PM
http://www.startribune.com/garrison-keillor-reportedly-fired-for-improper-behavior/460802703/#1

In an email to the Star Tribune Wednesday, Keillor said, “I put my hand on a woman’s bare back. I meant to pat her back after she told me about her unhappiness and her shirt was open and my hand went up it about six inches. She recoiled. I apologized. I sent her an email of apology later and she replied that she had forgiven me and not to think about it. We were friends. We continued to be friendly right up until her lawyer called.”

Keillor even managed a joke of sorts: “Getting fired is a real distinction in broadcasting and I’ve waited fifty years for the honor. All of my heroes got fired. I only wish it could’ve been for something more heroic.”

Then he turned more serious: “Anyone who ever was around my show can tell you that I was the least physically affectionate person in the building. Actors hug, musicians hug, people were embracing every Saturday night left and right, and I stood off in the corner like a stone statue.

“If I had a dollar for every woman who asked to take a selfie with me and who slipped an arm around me and let it drift down below the beltline, I’d have at least a hundred dollars. So this is poetic irony of a high order. But I’m just fine. I had a good long run and am grateful for it and for everything else.”

Looks like AF has been right along about his rules for being around certain people in the workplace.

enhanced_deficit
11-29-2017, 04:34 PM
He has great radio voice. Confusing report so far, will have to wait for details.

No more royalties. This is how they wiggle their way out of bad contracts.

Netflix apparently was still paying to Weinstein Co for movies if I'm not mistaken.

Related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ArBHZX1yHA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ArBHZX1yHA

sparebulb
11-29-2017, 06:15 PM
I didn't think that any of the residents of Lake Wobegon had genitalia.

William Tell
11-29-2017, 06:18 PM
Touching someone's back? This is getting insane. I've done worse by accident. Who isn't a deviant by these standards?

William Tell
11-29-2017, 06:20 PM

“If I had a dollar for every woman who asked to take a selfie with me and who slipped an arm around me and let it drift down below the beltline, I’d have at least a hundred dollars. So this is poetic irony of a high order. But I’m just fine. I had a good long run and am grateful for it and for everything else.” His words ring true. He's totally right.

dannno
11-29-2017, 06:25 PM
Looks like AF has been right along about his rules for being around certain people in the workplace.

AF is always right...

Swordsmyth
11-29-2017, 06:34 PM
AF is always right...

As close as any mortal can come.

Swordsmyth
11-29-2017, 06:36 PM
Touching someone's back? This is getting insane. I've done worse by accident. Who isn't a deviant by these standards?

Anything that is actually deviant, soon hetero activity will be illegal especially within the bonds of marriage.

Swordsmyth
11-29-2017, 06:53 PM
"I sent her an email of apology later and she replied that she had forgiven me and not to think about it. We were friends. We continued to be friendly right up until her lawyer called.”

That was his big mistake, he turned a "He said vs. She said" situation into a railroad job by giving her lawyer and HR an e-mail in which he admitted it happened at all, he should have stuck with the verbal apology since under the circumstances it was unlikely she had a bug in the room.

William Tell
11-29-2017, 06:59 PM
lulz

https://twitter.com/theryanbradford/status/936024681122906112

Anti Federalist
11-29-2017, 07:14 PM
"A world in which there is no sexual harassment at all is a world in which there will not be any flirtation." Garrison Keillor

cisgender, misogynistic, gender and sexual orientation assuming, shitlord.

phill4paul
11-29-2017, 07:27 PM
cisgender misogynistic shitlord.

https://i.redd.it/lz9lyo2j70101.jpg

Anti Federalist
11-29-2017, 07:30 PM

AF is always right...

As close as any mortal can come.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

In all seriousness, this is now as bad as being around cops.

If you are a man, especially a white man, especially if you work in an environment dominated by woemen or People Of Color or weirdosexuals, you must now treat every interaction with members of the aforementioned grievance groups as one which may end your job, end your career and possibly end your freedom.

Never hold any conversation or interaction that is not strictly business related. No flirting, fornicating, or funny business of any kind. If it is not work related, end the conversation or walk away, immediately. Document for further use.

Never hold any instructional, planning or disciplinary meeting "one on one". Always have at least one neutral witness.

If you are in a supervisory role, document everything, no matter how seemingly insignificant.

If at all possible, use their own fatwas against them. If forced to work with the aforementioned grievance group members, claim a "hostile work environment" is being created the second somebody steps outside the bounds I just mentioned.

If forced to work or supervise on a one on one basis, wear a body cam.

Raginfridus
11-29-2017, 07:32 PM
cisgender misogynistic $#@!lord.
To be fair, Garrison Keillor is no Chad Thundercock.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/009/466/chadthunder.JPG

He should have checked his huwite, male privilege before presuming to console the stronk womyn.

Anti Federalist
11-29-2017, 07:37 PM
https://i.redd.it/lz9lyo2j70101.jpg

Bingo.

Chad Thundercock can get away with that.

For a while anyway.

40 years from now, a thousand woemen will trot out decade old accounts and ruin him.

Anti Federalist
11-29-2017, 07:40 PM
To be fair, Garrison Keillor is no Chad Thundercock.

He should have checked his huwite, male privilege before presuming to console the stronk womyn.

Rather than trying to "console", write her up for improper work performance, possibly needing referral to HR for physiological evaluation.

Anti Federalist
11-29-2017, 07:51 PM
Listened to him for years, even been to his live show - (had to hold my nose during his monologues, he's a raging liberal/big government guy)
Yup, like so many other "creative" people.

It must be some left brain/right brain thing.

I can only imagine what he might have said to his victims... Did he do the Guy Noir skit?

I love the Guy Noir - Private Eye routines.

Or was it? ...a-beep bop a-reebop a-rhubarb pie!

Powdermilk Biscuits:

Heavens they're tasty, and expeditious. Give shy persons the strength they need to get up and do what needs to be done. Made from whole wheat raised by Norwegian bachelor farmers, so you know they're not only good for you, they're pure, mostly. Get 'em in the bright blue box with a picture of a biscuit on the front, or ready-made in the brown bag with the dark stains that indicate freshness.

phill4paul
11-29-2017, 07:55 PM
Rather than trying to "console", write her up for improper work performance, possibly needing referral to HR for physiological evaluation.

That's exactly where this shit is headed. In five years time the HR will be the largest department in every corporation.

Raginfridus
11-29-2017, 08:08 PM
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2016/11/18/6361504272431267551118779524_see.jpeg

Its true though.