PDA

View Full Version : Interior secretary recommends Trump alter at least three national monuments

Zippyjuan
11-26-2017, 01:21 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/08/24/interior-secretary-recommends-trump-alter-a-handful-of-national-monuments-but-declines-to-reveal-which-ones/?utm_term=.cb1b61cfc206

He wants to reduce national monuments- and open more areas up to things like mining and energy development. Except in his own state where he wants to add more lands to be protected.

After a four-month review of federal lands and waters, Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke says President Trump should modify 10 national monuments.

Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke recommended Thursday that President Trump alter at least three national monuments established by his immediate predecessors, including two in Utah, a move expected to reshape federal land and water protections and certain to trigger major legal fights.

In a report Zinke submitted to the White House, the secretary recommended reducing the size of Utah’s Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante national monuments, as well as Oregon’s Cascade-Siskiyou National Monument, according to multiple individuals briefed on the decision.

https://www.npr.org/2017/11/26/564918337/montana-monument-may-expand-under-trump-administration

Montana Monument May Expand Under Trump Administration

Huddled behind his white pickup truck in northwestern Montana, Roland Kennerly stuffs his hands into his coat pockets.

"Oh, this wind," he says. "It's starting to snow now."

The road had turned into a muddy slop leading towards a pocket of socked-in mountains and roadless grassland known as the Badger-Two Medicine area.

"You can only get in there by walking or by horseback, so it keeps it in its natural state," Kennerly says. "I hope it stays that way, for my kids and my kids' kids."

Badger Two-Medicine is sacred to Kennerly's tribe, the Blackfeet Nation. It's part of their creation story. This summer Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke recommended it become a new national monument, and President Donald Trump is expected to announce decisions about monuments in December.

That designation would protect more than 200 square miles of federal land from any future oil and gas development.

But Trump called these large monuments "massive federal land grabs" by his Democratic predecessors, and Zinke recommended the president reduce the size of some of those monuments, including Bear's Ears in Utah and Gold Butte in Nevada.

Swordsmyth
11-26-2017, 02:26 PM
A drop in the bucket compared to what needs to be done.

Swordsmyth
11-26-2017, 02:28 PM
I wonder who benefits from the Montana monument?

What is it being traded for?