PDA

View Full Version : GOP Bill Would Force Students Who Don’t Graduate to Repay Pell Grants

angelatc
11-17-2017, 03:57 PM
http://www.chronicle.com/article/GOP-Bill-Would-Force-Students/241813

The proposal, sponsored by Rep. Francis Rooney, Republican of Florida, and Rep. Ralph Norman, Republican of South Carolina, would compel students to repay Pell Grants — which, unlike loans, do not require repayment — if they did not complete their program within six years. The bill would apply to all students eligible for Pell Grants, including students at community colleges.

In a news release announcing the proposal, Mr. Rooney said it would guarantee “more bang for the taxpayer’s buck.” While it is important for Pell Grants to be accessible to low-income students, he said, it is equally as important that the students are “committed to graduating and joining the work force.”

oyarde
11-17-2017, 04:40 PM
There should be no taxpayer funded grants . Private grants would have whatever rules they want associated with them .

angelatc
11-17-2017, 04:42 PM
There should be no taxpayer funded grants . Private grants would have whatever rules they want associated with them .

I might be wrong but I suspect there is not enough political support to make that dream come true.

dannno
11-17-2017, 05:24 PM
I might be wrong but I suspect there is not enough political support to make that dream come true.

You are WRONG!!

Or wait, I think you might be right..

otherone
11-17-2017, 06:47 PM

Get government funding out of education and grants won't be necessary.

r3volution 3.0
11-17-2017, 09:20 PM
GOP Bill Would Force Students Who Don’t Graduate to Repay Pell Grants

Better plan,

Abolish the Dept. of Ed. and all grants and loans and everything, and simultaneously forgive all debt.

quid pro quo

It could work.