PDA

View Full Version : A Conversation With Tommy Thompson

kylejack
12-11-2007, 03:43 PM
I then asked, "What do you think of Ron Paul?"

Without hesitation, Tommy blurted out, "He’s a nut! He’s crazy!" Taken aback by his response, I pressed him to explain. Now he hesitated, possibly realizing that he was confronting someone who might not agree with his assessment. After looking down at the floor for a moment, he raised his head and said, in essence, "We live in a dangerous world. People are trying to destroy us. We aren’t going to beat them by bringing the troops home and staying on the defensive."

Obviously, I wasn’t going to change his mind, so, not wanting to get into an argument, I tried a different tack: "How does your brother, who I understand was the Libertarian Party candidate for governor a few years ago, feel about Ron Paul?"

"Of course, my brother thinks that Ron Paul is great," Tommy admitted, and continued, "I love my brother, but we don’t talk politics." That wasn’t hard for me to believe, because no libertarian would agree with many of the positions that Tommy Thompson has taken, especially on the use of RFID (radio-frequency identification) chips, which are injected into human flesh, so that subjects can be identified and tracked.
http://www.jbs.org/node/6618

Heh heh heh, I am amused.

xtravar
12-11-2007, 03:48 PM
8-)
I voted for Ed Thompson when he ran for governor. He got about 10%, as I recall.

Dorfsmith
12-11-2007, 03:49 PM
Funny stuff :D

Elwar
12-11-2007, 03:49 PM
sounds like the wrong Thompsons ran for president

Ethek
12-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Intresting. I wonder how we diffused this knee jerk 'nut!' reaction when Ron Paul wins NH... that secret plan better be good.

kylejack
12-11-2007, 03:54 PM
sounds like the wrong Thompsons ran for president
Interestingly enough, Stephen Gordon said in July that he was considering an LP presidential run. Not sure if he still is.

He lived in the city of Tomah, and they asked him to run for city council. He refused. They started a write-in campaign for him and he won anyway with 91%, and reluctantly accepted the position. I thought that was pretty funny. He's a good guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Thompson

Eric21ND
12-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Maybe his brother will endorse us :)

Danny Molina
12-11-2007, 03:59 PM
If I was his brother I wouldn't talk polotics with him either. I'd be too afraid that I'd strangle him.

risiusj
12-11-2007, 04:05 PM
I remember when he and his posse of a dozen people walked by me at the Iowa Straw Poll.
He looked straight at my shirt, glanced at my grinning face, gave a look of semi-disgust, and continued walking.
I didn't see him until he was a few feet from me, and didn't recognize him right away because of the sunglasses he was wearing and I thought he'd be taller.
I wish I'd said something clever to him. Oh well.

Goldwater Conservative
12-11-2007, 04:08 PM
He's just mad we bumped him out of the race at the Ames straw poll.