PDA

View Full Version : US agrees to pay tea party groups in suits over IRS scrutiny

Swordsmyth
10-27-2017, 10:21 PM
The Trump administration has agreed to what a lawyer described as a "very substantial" payout to hundreds of tea party groups to settle a class-action lawsuit over the extra, often burdensome IRS scrutiny they received when applying for tax-exempt status during the 2012 election.The settlement would end a chapter in a political scandal that dogged the Obama administration and continues to irk Republicans. In settling the case, the Trump administration is agreeing to government payments to groups that share its political beliefs. The conservative, anti-establishment tea party movement was something of a precursor to Donald Trump's populist, America-first presidential campaign.
Announced Thursday, the settlement still needs a judge's approval.

More at: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tea-party-groups-settle-lawsuits-100701844.html

nobody's_hero
10-28-2017, 05:48 AM
I'll see that 1 star thread and raise you 5. I think 3 is fair enough because the thing I disagree about is that it should have come out of Obama's pocket.

angelatc
10-28-2017, 09:59 AM
TEA Party groups getting tax money. Maybe it's just me but I'd rather see people in jail.

Origanalist
10-28-2017, 10:15 AM
TEA Party groups getting tax money. Maybe it's just me but I'd rather see people in jail.

Ironic isn't it?

jkr
10-28-2017, 11:02 AM
Gee whiz I wonder where they will get the money from?
:eek::toady::rolleyes:

Origanalist
10-28-2017, 11:10 AM
Gee whiz I wonder where they will get the money from?
:eek::toady::rolleyes:

Everything the government has it took from someone else.

Suzanimal
10-28-2017, 12:38 PM

It's not just you.

oyarde
10-28-2017, 12:41 PM
When can I expect my check ? Do I need to report it as income ?

juleswin
10-28-2017, 01:04 PM

It all depends on one's perspective. Cos another way of looking at it is this. Tax paying tea party group won some of their money back from govt agency. Send the officials to prison and they still cost tax payers money.

My guess is that the perfect solution would be for the offending officials be fined, their pensions confiscated and the Tea party group awarded all that money directly from the particular official's purse

I guess the groups would be content with just prying some of their monies back from the govt plus interest rather than going for perfection.

That's just me.