PDA

View Full Version : So much apathy.

Thanehand
12-11-2007, 02:28 PM
If there's one thing I've learned in the last year, it's that there is more apathy and disinterest in the state of our country than I ever thought possible. So many people just want to go about their simpleton lives without any regard to the world around them.

Admittedly, I myself have not been all that involved in the past, but at least I vote every election. It's almost cliché now, but Ron Paul did cure my apathy. However, many of the people I've talked to are beyond any amount of hope that change will ever come, that they possess any ability to make change, or that change even really matters. No amount of hope that Ron's message provides will help them.

Depressing.

So much so that I find myself spending way too much time digging for positive Ron Paul news in the hopes that it will (at least temporarily) cheer me up.

About the only thing that can really make me feel better would be a landslide, undeniable win in New Hampshire and/or Iowa. I'm not so biased that I believe it will happen without question (Ron is up against more than I think most of his supporters realize or will admit) but an event like that would both restore my faith in the American people and send a huge FUNK YOU to the main stream media in one swoop.

And believe me, I think that the main stream media is long overdue for a reality clue-stick. I'm dreaming of it now... weeks of Wolf Blitzer and Sean Hannity screaming "How could all of these poll numbers been so off?"

My utmost wish would be for one of the candidates who drops out or looses the nomination to file a lawsuit against the media conglomerates for doing so much damage to our political process for so many years.

Freedom of speech is one thing. Abusing that power in regard to our presidential election process is nothing but treachery.

From the blatant removal of candidates from their coverage, presenting opinion as fact, telling candidates to their faces (and the people watching) that they won't win, distorting questions to make the candidates look bad, pushing biased polls as evidence of who has the best chance at winning ... to the absolute abysmal excuse for "debates."

The irrefutable damage that has been done over the years is absolutely inexcusable and should, in my opinion, be reprimanded in the form of stiff fines and reciprocal broadcasts during prime time, correcting every infraction for all candidates.

Blah ...

My apologies for the rant. Today's chat with apathetic individuals finally sent me over the edge. I guess I just need to find a new video as moving as "Ron Paul: A New Hope" :) :D

Matthew Zak
12-11-2007, 02:30 PM
I am working on a video that will be fun. It's gonna be a few days yet. But I think you'll like it.

Thanehand
12-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Thanks Matthew. Can't wait to see it.

terryp
12-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Thanehand, I was in your shoes 4 months ago, voted, thought I knew what was going on in the news & around the world. Everyone talked about how bad things in this country are getting, all the problems with to much useless govt. etc...
When I first started handing out fliers at gun shows, to people who SHOULD know how fragile everything is, and I was met with "Politics, NO THANKS" you want to tell'em to WAKE UP. I swear I put together newspapers ads in my head at night that said just that.

The first time I really felt better was when I donated for the 1st time, ever. The best you can do is realize that the more people that are apathetic, the higher it will make our numbers. If you can wake-up 1 in 10, who might get involved feel good about. Think how Dr. Paul must have felt for the last 20+ years.

No, we will be an issue. We can make lightening strike at least once. I'm not going back to sleep. Things are going to change and we "my brother" are going to do it.

Thanehand
12-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the words of encouragement. It's been hard, especially with the Iowa/NH caucus/primaries practically here.

Out of the fifty-sixty people or so people I've talked to, I've only gotten perhaps 10 curious people and only 2 people completely excited about Ron Paul and committed to vote for him. The rest are apathetic beyond belief.

Our meetup is having a door-to-door, group canvass this weekend. I'm going to try to make it and hope that we have a better experience.

I have no doubts that we could cost the GOP the election, and in that sense, I'm somewhat happy. I don't personally want to see any of the democratic candidates in office. However, if that's what it takes to give the GOP a clue-stick as to what America wants, I may have to decide to write-in Ron Paul's name on the ballot or simply not vote if he doesn't get the nomination (I imagine I won't be alone).

As I told a friend today -- I am done voting against candidates. I am done voting for the lesser of evils.

Thanks again.

anewvoice
12-12-2007, 05:32 PM
I have to say 2007 has been a year of reinvigoration for me. I had come to believe that there really were only a tiny handful of people that cared about anything anymore, let alone liberty, the Constitution and personal privacies.

Where you see much apathy, I have seen my countrymen standing up together in a unified voice, united by a desire for liberty and a return to the roots of our Republic and tell the government that it's time is up.

Onward to victory!

The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.
--Thomas Jefferson

shrapnel88
12-12-2007, 05:34 PM
nobody is more apathetic than my mother.

seriously i don't think she'd give a damn if someone micro-chipped her.

terryp
12-12-2007, 05:50 PM
The absolute best response I have gotten is by visiting neighbors and hitting the local business owners.
You kind of have to just give them the info, we could not have a better candidate & record than Dr. Paul.
Sometimes it takes time for it to sink in, even with myself. One vote is better than nothing.
When you know his positions and continually hear people pretend he is not their, it bolsters our argument.
To be honest it has looked lately like all the other re-pubs have started using RP's
stances on many things. Plus the release of the papers on Iran, the Supreme court on cocaine & the 2nd Adm.
It looks to me like a perfect storm kinda thing. Let us hope.

Wingman
12-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Do not worry. It is actually a good reason to rejoice that someone in the world found the motivation and determination to awaken your spirit in you.

After all the dark years, Ron Paul felt it important enough to carry his message like a beacon into the hearts of many many people. Those people are just as important as the next group. Thats what makes America. Ad we should not stop fighting for our beliefs and way of life.

Inspiration. That is the way to build a life with friends around you who also care.

Indy Vidual
12-12-2007, 05:57 PM
So much apathy.

Who cares?
:rolleyes:

Congressman Ron Paul: Archives (http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul-arch.html) (Dr. Ron Paul in his own words and brilliant writings)

Jobarra
12-12-2007, 06:06 PM
It IS a perfect storm for Dr. Paul. I'm so freaking enthused about this. You've got Michigan not being able to vote for Democrats as well as Unions showing visible support for Dr. Paul. You've got the Free State Project in New Hampshire and New Hampshire itself that loves less government. You've got 7 candidates that have no real differences but all seem to have supporters that are sticking by them against 1 candidate that is truly different. The more neocons in the race, the more the vote will be spread out between them. Meanwhile, Ron Paul has an army of supporters who are actually DOING something for the campaign and being proactive. Do any other supporters do anything other than jump when their campaign asks them to? The media continues to give no real coverage which just inspires us more and more to get his name out. I have never seen anything like this. There's one more thing happening that gives more of a perfect storm, but I won't discuss it yet. Thinking about getting a website put together for a OLFD type operation that could help generate publicity just prior to Feb 5th that could turn the hearts of some of those who like Paul but won't vote because he "can't win"

transistor
12-12-2007, 06:28 PM
i gotta agree... what hurts the most is i can't even convince my own parents

fogger
12-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Apathy is precisely why we will win. How many people vote in Primaries? Who volunteers to be Precinct Committeemen and delegates? Noone! (except RP supporters)

Become a delegate in your precinct and we will win.

xd9fan
12-12-2007, 06:40 PM
If there's one thing I've learned in the last year, it's that there is more apathy and disinterest in the state of our country than I ever thought possible. So many people just want to go about their simpleton lives without any regard to the world around them.

Can you blame them........this system was stacked long before I was born....

Pedro TT
12-12-2007, 06:42 PM
nobody is more apathetic than my mother.

seriously i don't think she'd give a damn if someone micro-chipped her.

Sadly, my parents are the exact same way. It really is amazing that no matter ho much I try and explain things to them, they seem to not care.

xd9fan
12-12-2007, 06:50 PM
baby boomers have done alot of damage....

aspiringconstitutionalist
12-12-2007, 06:53 PM
Time makes more converts than reason.

a4ronpaul
12-12-2007, 07:05 PM
When I was helping my local meetup group, I was handing out slimjims to people and hoping that they would read and consider it. What I found was most people didn't care, they gave the impression that I was pushing my beliefs upon them. Most people walked by, took the slimjim and just walked away without second thought. Some got very upset at what they received and angrily gave it back. Others just tossed it into the near by trashcan. Two hours of helping to get the word out, I felt that I didn't convince anyone. In fact I got people telling me they're supporting Clinton or Obama.

After that evening, I sat there wondering to myself what did I just waste my time in doing? Nobody care, everyone is more concerned about buying gifts then to address problems in the country. The something hit me when I was watching the history channel. Our founding fathers went through the same thing during the war with the British. They were out numbered, out gunned, and was betrayed by Benedict Arnold.

I bet Washington was depressed, but they got through it. They won with a bit a luck and a lot of will/determination.

To sum it up, I feel like giving up on this country because people here don't care as long as they can eat and buy more stuff. Then when I read on these boards or meet people that share the same ideas as I do, it gives me a feeling that there's still a glimmer of hope.

So I sold some items that were precious to me and raised enough money to head to Iowa to help the campaign. If it makes you feel better, not only did Dr. Paul cure my apathy, but people who believe in his cause did so much more for me.

If Dr. Paul just spoke without anyone listening it would have killed me to see. Instead, there are some who do listen, and are doing something about it. We're feeding off of each other's want to become better. Win or lose, in the end we're going to become better for making that push for the life that we want and the life that we want for others.

ursamajor
12-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Ron Paul cured my apathy also. Here's to the future!

cswake
12-12-2007, 08:07 PM
baby boomers have done a lot of damage....I wouldn't place the entire blame on them. This has been a slippery slope of a mess that had picked up steam just as they inherited the country.