PDA

View Full Version : U.S. senators seek answers on U.S. presence in Niger after ambush

specsaregood
10-22-2017, 08:05 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-senators-seek-answers-u-presence-niger-ambush-151539401.html

U.S. senators seek answers on U.S. presence in Niger after ambush.

You have to freaking read this article. The hypocrisy on display by graham and McCain are at epic levels. All of a sudden, we need to revisit the aumf? when it was these same scumbags attacking Randal just this year for trying to do exactly that.

spudea
10-22-2017, 08:15 PM
They actually voted for this partnership with Niger. But when things suddenly go bad, its "oops I didn't know about it". god damn pimps

Origanalist
10-22-2017, 08:18 PM
Graham and Schumer said they had been unaware of the large U.S. presence in the country and said Congress needs more information on what could become a long and open-ended involvement.

"I didn't know there was 1,000 troops in Niger," Graham said on NBC's Meet the Press. "This is an endless war without boundaries and no limitation on time and geography," he added. "You've got to tell us more and he [McCain] is right to say that."

The really sad thing is that there are people who will believe this.

timosman
10-22-2017, 08:24 PM
Secret Ops in Africa - http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?485291-Tomorrow%92s-Battlefield-U-S-Proxy-Wars-and-Secret-Ops-in-Africa

nikcers
10-22-2017, 08:39 PM
You have to freaking read this article. The hypocrisy on display by graham and McCain are at epic levels.

Democrat Schumer said "We need to look at this carefully. Congress may need to re-examine the current authorization for what he said could be a long, open-ended involvement in the country and region.This is a brave new world. There are no set battle plans,"
http://i.imgur.com/QeAruD6.gif

specsaregood
10-22-2017, 09:08 PM
You have to freaking read this article. The hypocrisy on display by graham and McCain are at epic levels. All of a sudden, we need to revisit the aumf? when it was these same scumbags attacking Randal just this year for trying to do exactly that.

For reference, from july:
https://www.rollcall.com/news/policy/rand-paul-defense-authorization-debate

One of the Paul amendments would provide for a sunset of the 2001 and 2002 authorizations for use of force, according to a tweet from Paul’s senior strategist Doug Stafford.

Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer of New York said at a Friday news conference that he, McCain and Armed Services ranking member Jack Reed attempted to work the matter out with Paul on the floor overnight, but couldn’t.

2 of the scumbags quoted in the article tried to stop Randal from getting a sunset of the AUMF just a few months ago.

nikcers
10-22-2017, 09:33 PM
For reference, from july:
https://www.rollcall.com/news/policy/rand-paul-defense-authorization-debate

2 of the scumbags quoted in the article tried to stop Randal from getting a sunset of the AUMF just a few months ago.
They don't want to get rid of the AUMF, they want it expanded.

oyarde
10-22-2017, 09:51 PM
I would cut right to the chase and blame Jules .

dannno
10-22-2017, 10:09 PM
"I didn't know there was 1,000 troops in Niger," Graham said on NBC's Meet the Press. "This is an endless war without boundaries and no limitation on time and geography," he added. "You've got to tell us more and he [McCain] is right to say that."

lol...

specsaregood
10-22-2017, 10:09 PM
They don't want to get rid of the AUMF, they want it expanded.

are you suggesting that there are actually limits to the existing AUMF? I was not aware of any.

timosman
10-22-2017, 10:13 PM
Why were American service members in Niger?

Michael Morell: Niger faces a significant threat from a robust Al-Qaeda group and a growing ISIS group. Both of those are located in Mali, but they come across that border and conduct attacks in Niger. Americans might ask, you know, why were we there, helping the Nigerians and the answer is while this is a regional threat today, it could be a threat to Europe tomorrow and it could be a threat to the homeland the day after that. So we're there trying to keep this under control so that it doesn't become a significant threat to the United States. It's a policy that makes sense. I support it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha8TdX9BfEw

Danke
10-22-2017, 10:16 PM
I would cut right to the chase and blame Jules .

Too late, Jules is now head over heels about some Nebraskan.

nikcers
10-23-2017, 12:14 AM
are you suggesting that there are actually limits to the existing AUMF? I was not aware of any.

U.S. will expand (https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/defense-secretary-mattis-to-meet-with-sen-mccain-after-subpoena-threat-over-niger-attack/2017/10/20/7a4a12de-b5bf-11e7-9e58-e6288544af98_story.html) counterterrorism focus in Africa

Graham added that he supported Mattis’s plans, and that the secretary had pledged to work more closely with lawmakers to keep them informed about expanding operations and newly identified threats for Congress to exercise oversight authority.

Graham said that other changes to the Pentagon’s counterterrorism policy would include the adoption of a “status-based targeting” system for suspected terrorists, meaning troops will be able to use lethal force against a suspected member of a terrorist organization even if that person does not pose an immediate threat.
He said Mattis had informed them that the military would also be changing how it decides when to use ground troops and when troops should be deployed in more of an advisory role.

nikcers
10-23-2017, 12:28 AM
SEN. LINDSEY GRAHAM: I don't know. I’m arguing that the current authorization as long as it’s related to radical Islam--the military determines who the threats are --I didn’t know there was a thousand troops in Niger -- because this is an endless war without boundaries, no limitation on time or geography--, you gotta tell us more.

AZJoe
10-23-2017, 02:32 AM
SEN. LINDSEY GRAHAM: "this is an endless war without boundaries, no limitation on time or geography"

OMG

TheCount
10-23-2017, 02:48 AM
OMGAt least he's honest...

nikcers
10-23-2017, 06:31 AM
OMG
US Preparing to Put Nuclear Bombers Back on 24-Hour Alert

“This is yet one more step in ensuring that we’re prepared (http://www.defenseone.com/threats/2017/10/exclusive-us-preparing-put-nuclear-bombers-back-24-hour-alert/141957/),” Gen. David Goldfein, Air Force chief of staff, said “I look at it more as not planning for any specific event, but more for the reality of the global situation we find ourselves in and how we ensure we’re prepared going forward.”
Goldfein and other senior defense officials stressed that the alert order had not been given, but that preparations were under way in anticipation that it might come.

shakey1
10-23-2017, 08:17 AM
"this is an endless war without boundaries, no limitation on time or geography"

America’s most elite troops deployed to 138 nations in 2016, according to U.S. Special Operations Command. The map above displays the locations of 132 of those countries; 129 locations (blue) were supplied by U.S. Special Operations Command; 3 locations (red) -- Syria, Yemen and Somalia -- were derived from open-source information. (Nick Turse)

http://www.tomdispatch.com/images/managed/sofmap1_large.jpg

We're freaking everywhere.:mad:

https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.207949368.8593/flat,800x800,075,f.u1.jpg

bunklocoempire
10-23-2017, 02:45 PM
http://www.tomdispatch.com/images/managed/sofmap1_large.jpg

We're freaking everywhere.:mad:

https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.207949368.8593/flat,800x800,075,f.u1.jpg

Cowards flinch first. Looky at all those flinchers.
U.S.A. -home of elite cowards who follow flinching orders.

dannno
10-23-2017, 02:50 PM
The really sad thing is that there are people who will believe this.

Like this tool ->
At least he's honest...

Thanks, I was waiting to see who the first person would be to come in here and commend McCain and Graham for their "honesty" :rolleyes:

Not surprised, you were on my top 3 list for sure.

Raginfridus
10-23-2017, 03:03 PM
They actually voted for this partnership with Niger. But when things suddenly go bad, its "oops I didn't know about it". god damn pimpsThe only reason there haven't been mutinies, the really threatening kind where generals die on pikes and the capital is firebombed, during the WoD/WoT is because of our all-volunteer military. These fools are some lucky sons of bitches we're so civilized. :P

TheCount
10-23-2017, 03:59 PM
Like this tool ->

Thanks, I was waiting to see who the first person would be to come in here and commend McCain and Graham for their "honesty" :rolleyes:

Not surprised, you were on my top 3 list for sure.

You're #1 on my list of people unable to recognize that this is the fault of the executive.

dannno
10-23-2017, 04:15 PM
You're #1 on my list of people unable to recognize that this is the fault of the executive.

lol.. now you are blaming Trump for your stupidity...

TheCount
10-23-2017, 04:30 PM
lol.. now you are blaming Trump for your stupidity...Yep; I was right.

dannno
10-23-2017, 04:31 PM
Yep; I was right.

lol, ya, McCain and Graham are so concerned about our out of control foreign policy :rolleyes: - you keep believing that shit - in the mean time every serious forum member is laughing at you.

dannno
10-23-2017, 06:22 PM
Senator John McCain does not appear to be scared of TrumpPolitics 5 hours ago
The senator responded with laughter when asked if he was scared of the president.
https://twitter.com/i/moments/922532681086316544
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DM17h1_XkAUj-tz.jpg

enhanced_deficit
10-23-2017, 09:24 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-senators-seek-answers-u-presence-niger-ambush-151539401.html

U.S. senators seek answers on U.S. presence in Niger after ambush.

Lindsey Graham has already offered some answers that next war on terra front is going to be Africa now that terrists have been pushed out of Mideast and into Africa.
In this whack a mole pursuit, are Europe, Antarcatica to see US freedom wars next? Luckily North America is defended by the sees and the upcoming Wall and impact of freedom fireworks started in Iraq based on triths would only visit various other continents one by one.

In related news, Senators are curious about other military operatuons too:

'This is totally unacceptable': Pentagon leaders pressed for more details about Afghan war plan
Dan Lamothe
OCTOBER 3, 2017
The Pentagon's top leaders defended the Trump administration's new strategy for Afghanistan in detail Tuesday, saying it will last as long as is needed and includes provisions under which U.S. troops will be placed alongside Afghan troops at lower levels of command to provide them with better coalition air support.

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and Marine Gen. Joseph Dunford Jr., the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, described the strategy in separate hearings before the Senate and House armed services committee as an effort to win, rather than not lose, a conflict that began 16 years ago. They faced skeptical lawmakers, including committee chairman John McCain, R-Ariz., who lambasted a lack of transparency by the administration about its plans.

"In the six weeks since the president made his announcement, this committee and the Congress, more broadly, still does not know many of the crucial details of this strategy," McCain said. "This is totally unacceptable. I repeat: This is totally unacceptable."

Over 200 killed, Trump's Afghan war escalation failing already? (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?516138-Over-200-civilians-Afghan-forces-killed-Trump-s-Afghan-war-escalation-failing-already&)

TheCount
10-24-2017, 01:41 AM
lol, ya, McCain and Graham are so concerned about our out of control foreign policy :rolleyes:
Nobody said that.

You keep on fighting an army of strawmen during your crusade of knee-jerk Trump apologism. Meanwhile, every serious forum member is laughing at you.

AZJoe
10-24-2017, 07:39 AM

AZJoe
10-24-2017, 07:43 AM

specsaregood
10-24-2017, 07:55 AM

Gotta screenshot that one, i was actually surprised by it.

AZJoe
10-24-2017, 08:00 AM
From Caitlin Johnstone (https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/senate-warmongers-cant-even-keep-track-of-where-troops-are-stationed-c733f7f06919):

Warmongering legislators like Lindsey Graham and Chuck Schumer have no idea where American military interventionism is happening, weeks after the Senate voted by a nearly two-to-one margin to kill Senator Rand Paul’s amendment to sunset the 16 year-old Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF) ... What else is there to say? ...

Lindsey Graham sounds like the a trembling alcoholic Mafia wife being interrogated, saying ... :

“I didn’t know there was 1,000 troops in Niger,” Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-South Carolina, told NBC’s Chuck Todd on “Meet the Press” Sunday. “They are going to brief us next week as to why they were there and what they were doing.” ...“I got a little insight on why they were there and what they were doing. I can say this to the families: They were there to defend America. They were there to help allies. They were there to prevent another platform to attack America and our allies.” ...

Turns out though, Graham had actually been informed of US military actions in Niger... This man has been up to his elbows in numerous defense committees and subcommittees for years, where he’s had access to protected information about military affairs. Not that US involvement in Niger has been a secret ...

It is ostensibly Graham’s job to know these things, the information has not been kept from him, and yet he didn’t know it. This is because Graham, like McCain and every other professional war hawk who has built their political career on carrying water for the military-industrial complex, was not elevated to his position so that he could keep meticulous track of all US military operations and help make responsible decisions ... Graham was elevated to his position for the sole purpose of facilitating endless war. If the military is already engaged somewhere, there’s no reason for Graham to care about it anymore. Graham’s purpose is to help manufacture public and legislative support for sustaining and expanding US military operations, not monitoring and learning about them. He’s not in research and development, he’s in sales.

Graham, like virtually everyone at high levels of elected government in America, is a pawn of the plutocracy.... kowtowing ... for the neoconservative policies of the US war machine. ...

The unelected power establishment which has set up shop in the United States necessarily needs to keep its military might engaged all over the world to disrupt the rise of a competing superpower; their entire empire depends on it. They’re banking on being able to use guns and propaganda to stomp down the massive upheavals that are looming on the horizon and maintain their kingdom forever. Rulers seldom go quietly. ...

euphemia
10-24-2017, 08:16 AM
The bottom line here is that if Graham says he didn't know, then the Senate has bitten off way more than it can chew. I don't expect them to take a deep breath and reflect on the overreach, but it's what is needed. Until voters hold them accountable, this stuff will continue.

timosman
10-24-2017, 08:30 AM
From Caitlin Johnstone (https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/senate-warmongers-cant-even-keep-track-of-where-troops-are-stationed-c733f7f06919):

Warmongering legislators like Lindsey Graham and Chuck Schumer have no idea where American military interventionism is happening, weeks after the Senate voted by a nearly two-to-one margin to kill Senator Rand Paul’s amendment to sunset the 16 year-old Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF) ... What else is there to say? ...

Lindsey Graham sounds like the a trembling alcoholic Mafia wife being interrogated, saying ... :

“I didn’t know there was 1,000 troops in Niger,” Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-South Carolina, told NBC’s Chuck Todd on “Meet the Press” Sunday. “They are going to brief us next week as to why they were there and what they were doing.” ...“I got a little insight on why they were there and what they were doing. I can say this to the families: They were there to defend America. They were there to help allies. They were there to prevent another platform to attack America and our allies.” ...

Turns out though, Graham had actually been informed of US military actions in Niger... This man has been up to his elbows in numerous defense committees and subcommittees for years, where he’s had access to protected information about military affairs. Not that US involvement in Niger has been a secret ...

It is ostensibly Graham’s job to know these things, the information has not been kept from him, and yet he didn’t know it. This is because Graham, like McCain and every other professional war hawk who has built their political career on carrying water for the military-industrial complex, was not elevated to his position so that he could keep meticulous track of all US military operations and help make responsible decisions ... Graham was elevated to his position for the sole purpose of facilitating endless war. If the military is already engaged somewhere, there’s no reason for Graham to care about it anymore. Graham’s purpose is to help manufacture public and legislative support for sustaining and expanding US military operations, not monitoring and learning about them. He’s not in research and development, he’s in sales.

Graham, like virtually everyone at high levels of elected government in America, is a pawn of the plutocracy.... kowtowing ... for the neoconservative policies of the US war machine. ...

The unelected power establishment which has set up shop in the United States necessarily needs to keep its military might engaged all over the world to disrupt the rise of a competing superpower; their entire empire depends on it. They’re banking on being able to use guns and propaganda to stomp down the massive upheavals that are looming on the horizon and maintain their kingdom forever. Rulers seldom go quietly. ...

I am so clever the shit I have been doing will never catch up with me - Greasy Weasel.

klamath
10-24-2017, 04:23 PM
Trump is running the show. Don't give a shit about McCain and Graham comments and hypocrisy. I am more concerned about the GD CIC that sent them there.

phill4paul
10-24-2017, 05:03 PM
The answer is simple. It's called the AUMF. THEY delegated their authorization, which was unConstitutional, and then they question what is done with that authorization. Fuck 'em. The Federal government is an entity unconstrained by...anything.

specsaregood
10-24-2017, 05:31 PM
The answer is simple. It's called the AUMF. THEY delegated their authorization, which was unConstitutional, and then they question what is done with that authorization. Fuck 'em. The Federal government is an entity unconstrained by...anything.

and as pointed out earlier in this thread, all these fucksticks complaining voted down Randals amendment to sunset the AUMF only a few weeks ago.

Valli6
10-25-2017, 10:50 AM
In 2013, Obama sent this letter to the Speaker of the House and President Pro Temper of the Senate.
They have NO excuse.

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/the-press-office/2013/02/22/letter-president-concerning-niger

The White House
Office of the Press Secretary

For Immediate Release
February 22, 2013

Letter from the President -- Concerning Niger

TEXT OF A LETTER FROM THE PRESIDENT
TO THE SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
AND THE PRESIDENT PRO TEMPORE OF THE SENATE

February 22, 2013

Dear Mr. Speaker: (Dear Mr. President: )

On February 20, 2013, the last elements of a deployment of approximately 40 additional U.S. military personnel entered Niger with the consent of the Government of Niger. This deployment will provide support for intelligence collection and will also facilitate intelligence sharing with French forces conducting operations in Mali, and with other partners in the region. The total number of U.S. military personnel deployed to Niger is approximately 100. The recently deployed forces have deployed with weapons for the purpose of providing their own force protection and security.

I directed this deployment of U.S. forces in furtherance of U.S. national security interests, and pursuant to my constitutional authority to conduct U.S. foreign relations and as Commander in Chief and Chief Executive.

I am providing this report as part of my efforts to keep the Congress fully informed, consistent with the War Powers Resolution (Public Law 93-148). I appreciate the support of the Congress in this action.

Sincerely,

BARACK OBAMA https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/the-press-office/2013/02/22/letter-president-concerning-niger

Valli6
10-25-2017, 11:06 AM
Can you believe these fuckers?! :mad: Just incredible!
https://news.grabien.com/story-ben-cardin-trump-should-have-come-congress-get-authorization (includes video)

BEN CARDIN: TRUMP SHOULD HAVE COME TO CONGRESS TO GET AUTHORIZATION BEFORE DEPLOYING TROOPS TO NIGER

‘As the ranking Democrat on Senate Foreign Relations Committee, the president of the United States should have come to Congress’

Oct 23, 2017

RUSH TRANSCRIPT:

BLITZER: “Did you know, senator, that there are almost 1,000 U.S. Troops deployed in Niger?”

CARDIN: “No, I did not. I’m not part of the group that would have been formally notified about U.S. troop presence, but I must tell you I do believe as the ranking Democrat on Senate Foreign Relations Committee, the president of the United States should have come to Congress to seek authorization for American troops that are put in a combat-type situation.”

https://news.grabien.com/story-ben-cardin-trump-should-have-come-congress-get-authorization

* ...I'd love to know if Sen. Ben Cardin (D) was one of the guys who voted to table Rands AUMF amendment.

Anyone have a link showing who voted "yea" on tabling it?
Ah. Cardin actually voted "Nay". Have to give him credit for that. https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=115&session=1&vote=00195

NorthCarolinaLiberty
11-01-2017, 12:01 AM
Meanwhile, every serious forum member is laughing at you.

Laughing at you. Your game is up, chief.

timosman
11-01-2017, 02:16 AM
Can you believe these fuckers?! :mad: Just incredible!
https://news.grabien.com/story-ben-cardin-trump-should-have-come-congress-get-authorization (includes video)

https://news.grabien.com/story-ben-cardin-trump-should-have-come-congress-get-authorization

* ...I'd love to know if Sen. Ben Cardin (D) was one of the guys who voted to table Rands AUMF amendment.

Anyone have a link showing who voted "yea" on tabling it?
Ah. Cardin actually voted "Nay". Have to give him credit for that. https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=115&session=1&vote=00195

These fuckers don't know who changed their diapers last night and try to be outraged about something they approved for and was done by Trump's predecessor. Nurse!

timosman
11-01-2017, 02:34 AM
Laughing at you. Your game is up, chief.

It was an honest mistake. I don't really work for the Ministry of Truth. I am simply a true statist. :cool: