PDA

View Full Version : Trump Told a Soldier’s Widow Her Husband ‘Knew What He Signed Up For,’ His Mother Says

Zippyjuan
10-18-2017, 12:05 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/18/us/politics/trump-widow-johnson-call.html

WASHINGTON — The mother of a soldier killed in an ambush in Niger said Wednesday that President Trump disrespected her family during a call with the man’s widow by saying the soldier “knew what he signed up for.”

President Trump denied he said those words to Sgt. La David T. Johnson’s wife during a Tuesday phone call and escalated his dispute with Representative Frederica Wilson, Democrat of Florida, who first described the exchange on Tuesday.

Speaking before a meeting with members of the Senate Finance Committee, Mr. Trump said, “I had a very nice conversation with the woman, with the wife, who sounded like a wonderful woman.” He also asserted, “I didn’t say what that congresswoman said. Didn’t say it at all, she knows it.”

Yet when asked about Ms. Wilson’s account of the call on Wednesday, Mr. Johnson’s mother, Cowanda Jones-Johnson, backed the congresswoman’s version. “Yes, he did state that comment,” Ms. Jones-Johnson said of Mr. Trump, corresponding via Facebook.

Pressed twice by reporters about Ms. Wilson’s description, Mr. Trump dared her to make the allegations again. “Let her make her statement again and then you’ll find out,” the president said.

https://static01.********/images/2017/10/19/us/19dc-trump3/19dc-trump3-master675.jpg
A video frame of Myeshia Johnson over the casket of her husband, Sgt. La David Johnson, who was killed in an ambush in Niger, upon his body’s arrival in Miami on Tuesday. Credit WPLG, via Associated Press

Ms. Wilson recounted details of Mr. Trump’s call with Sergeant Johnson’s widow, Myeshia Johnson. On Tuesday, Ms. Wilson was in the car with the widow, and said she overheard the phone call from the president, who was on speakerphone. Sergeant Johnson was killed in an ambush in Niger earlier this month that killed three other soldiers and injured two in the Army Special Forces Unit.

Ms. Wilson said that during the call, the president told Ms. Johnson “something to the fact that he knew what he was getting into when he signed up,” the congresswoman said in an interview on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” on Wednesday.

“But that’s not the worst part,” Ms. Wilson said. “She was crying the whole time and when she hung up the phone she looked at me and said ‘he didn’t even remember his name.’ That’s the hurting part.”

Mr. Trump’s comments were the latest in a series of remarks he made this week drawing attention to grieving families of fallen solders.

Mr. Trump has said very little about the Niger episode. When he was asked by a reporter about this on Monday, he responded by saying he had written letters to the soldiers’ families. Mr. Trump compared his actions to past presidents and said past presidents have not always contacted families of those killed in action.

donnay
10-18-2017, 12:08 PM
Trump says Dem rep 'fabricated' account of call to soldier's widow, has 'proof'
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/10/18/trump-says-dem-rep-fabricated-account-call-to-soldiers-widow-has-proof.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxnews%2Fpolitics+%28Interna l+-+Politics+-+Text%29

dannno
10-18-2017, 12:09 PM
Does anybody actually believe this shit?

donnay
10-18-2017, 12:11 PM
Does anybody actually believe this $#@!?

Zip does obviously.

Jamesiv1
10-18-2017, 12:11 PM
if he hasn't yet learned he needs to document and record every single utterance, then he's not my hero any more.

but for now, he is still the D.J. Donald Trumpmaster D!

Raginfridus
10-18-2017, 12:12 PM
I mean, it wouldn't be out of character for our elected leaders to forget the names of men they've sent to their graves. (Its a long list, too.) I'm sure they're usually coached very thoroughly five to ten minutes before the phone call, which makes him forgetting so soon curious.

enhanced_deficit
10-18-2017, 12:12 PM
From some of his statements yes=terday it seems as if he is again in camapaign mode against Obama/Hillary team while trying to claim that he is a better commander in chief than Obama.
His statements are going to get major reactions from media and Dems probably. Trump also suggested Obama did not use to call families of soldiers who died under his command. If he hasn't already, he probably would soon compare his military poll numbers to those of Obama's.

October 17, 2017

Trump on Obama calling soldiers' families: "You can ask Gen. Kelly, did he get a call?"

President Trump did not back down from claims he made at the Rose Garden on Monday, in which he appeared to suggest that past presidents, particularly President Obama, did not call the families of soldiers killed in action. (https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-obama-didnt-call-fallen-soldiers-rose-garden/)
"President Trump spoke to all four of the families of those who were killed in action in Niger," White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said in a statement on Tuesday. "He offered condolences on behalf of a grateful nation and assured them their family's extraordinary sacrifice to the country will never be forgotten."

In another slap at Obama, Mr. Trump said, "Now, as far as other presidents, I don't know, I mean you can ask General Kelly, did he get a call from Obama? You could ask other people. I don't know what Obama's policy was. I write letters and I also call."
Mr. Trump was referring to Robert Kelly, son of White House Chief of Staff John Kelly, who was killed by an IED while serving as a second lieutenant in Afghanistan in 2010. (https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-visits-grave-of-dhs-secretarys-son-at-arlington-consoles-grieving-mothers/) It was Gen. Joseph Dunford, now the chairmain of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and among Kelly's closest friends, who appeared at his door in Washington D.C., early in the morning to inform him, according to the Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/lt-gen-john-kelly-who-lost-son-to-war-says-us-largely-unaware-of-sacrifice/2016/12/07/b269fb7a-3eb1-11e0-bc13-e0b46ef0ad9a_story.html?utm_term=.cb429488c8f8), which also wrote that as soon as Kelly saw Dunford in his service uniform, he knew his son was dead.

A senior administration official says that Obama did not call Kelly after the death of his son.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-o...he-get-a-call/ (https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-on-obama-calling-soldiers-families-you-can-ask-gen-kelly-did-he-get-a-call/)

Related

Military Times: Mere 15 Percent of Troops Approve of Obama
(http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?502746-Military-Times-Mere-15-Percent-of-Troops-Approve-of-Obama&)

http://cdn.tegna-tv.com/media/2016/05/09/GGM/MilitaryTimes/635983923719197292-Election-Poll-Charts-Web-AllServices.jpg (http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/election/2016/05/09/military-times-survey-donald-trump-beats-hillary-clinton/84132402/)

TheTexan
10-18-2017, 12:13 PM
Does anybody actually believe this shit?

No shit. I mean really, who are you going to believe, some scrub nobody, or the President of the United States?

Danke
10-18-2017, 12:18 PM
"He knew what he signed up for and the risk it involved. But he did it anyway because he loved his country...

euphemia
10-18-2017, 12:27 PM
Stop spinning. People who go into the military do know what they sign up for. They, and their families, know there is always a risk they could die on the job. I grew up in a military family, and we always knew there were ideals worth fighting for. Libertarians believe that, and they would fight to their last breath for the ideal of liberty for all. There were times when PTA meetings at our school were all moms because all the dads were over in southeast Asia. It was a very unjust conflict, but that's how it is. My classmates had draft numbers. It was always a threat and not all of them signed up for it.

Zippy, this kind of stuff is why your side lost. People are offended by it and you need to cut it out. The rest of you should stop with the childish giggling. If you so-called liberty people had put up a halfway decent candidate you might have actually got some votes. Stop ragging on the president. He was duly elected and I am up to here with the silliness. Grow up.

Zippyjuan
10-18-2017, 12:29 PM
Trump says Dem rep 'fabricated' account of call to soldier's widow, has 'proof'
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/10/18/trump-says-dem-rep-fabricated-account-call-to-soldiers-widow-has-proof.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxnews%2Fpolitics+%28Interna l+-+Politics+-+Text%29

The woman he made the comment to verifies the story.

, Mr. Johnson’s mother, Cowanda Jones-Johnson, backed the congresswoman’s version. “Yes, he did state that comment,” Ms. Jones-Johnson said of Mr. Trump,

From the Fox link:

Wilson stood by her account Wednesday on Twitter. And on CNN, Wilson said she and other Johnson family members heard what Trump said because the call was put on a speakerphone.

"I have proof, too," she countered.

In another slap at Obama, Mr. Trump said, "Now, as far as other presidents, I don't know, I mean you can ask General Kelly, did he get a call from Obama? You could ask other people. I don't know what Obama's policy was. I write letters and I also call."

Mr. Trump was referring to Robert Kelly, son of White House Chief of Staff John Kelly, who was killed by an IED while serving as a second lieutenant in Afghanistan in 2010. It was Gen. Joseph Dunford, now the chairmain of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and among Kelly's closest friends, who appeared at his door in Washington D.C., early in the morning to inform him, according to the Washington Post, which also wrote that as soon as Kelly saw Dunford in his service uniform, he knew his son was dead.

A senior administration official says that Obama did not call Kelly after the death of his son.

John Kelly refuses to comment on if he was called or not.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/obama-call-john-kelly-marine-son-died-action/story?id=50533292

The retired general’s son, 1st Lt. Robert Kelly, died in action while serving with the Marines in Afghanistan.

Kelly and his wife attended a breakfast for Gold Star families at the White House in 2011 and sat at first lady Michelle Obama's table, a person familiar with the breakfast told ABC News.

euphemia
10-18-2017, 12:45 PM
Everyone can't be Ronald Reagan who always knew what to say and when. Or Calvin Coolidge who just kept quiet.

donnay
10-18-2017, 01:01 PM
"He knew what he signed up for and the risk it involved. But he did it anyway because he loved his country...

Fact checked.

Ender
10-18-2017, 01:02 PM
Yes- Trump did say this; you can slam on Zip all you want or actually own up to some of Trump's stupid remarks.

Florida Rep. Defends Call Claims: 'I Have Proof Too'
By Sandy Fitzgerald
Wednesday, 18 Oct 2017 8:43 AM

Rep. Frederica Wilson, who President Donald Trump claimed in a Wednesday morning tweet had "totally fabricated" what he'd said to the widow of a Green Beret killed in action in Niger, said she doesn't know what "proof" he says he has that she hadn't told the truth.

"I don't know what kind of proof he could be talking about," Wilson told CNN "New Day" co-host Alisyn Camerota. "I'm not the only person that was in the car. And I have proof too. This man is a sick man. He's cold hearted and he feels no pity or sympathy for anyone."

Wilson, D-Florida, initially complained about the president's call to the widow of Army Sgt. La David Johnson, 25, of Miami Gardens, Tuesday. Johnson died when he and three other Green Berets were ambushed Oct. 4 by ISIS terrorists in Niger.

"This is a grieving widow, a grieving widow who is six months pregnant," Wilson told Camerota. "This is a young woman. She's only 24 years old. She weighs maybe 110 pounds. And she has two other kids. 2 years old and 6 years old. When she actually hung up the phone and she looked at me and said 'he didn't even know his name.' Now, that's the worst part."

Wilson told CNN that she is not trying to prove anything about Trump, and he "evidently is lying, because what I said is true. I have no reason to lie on the president of the United States, with a dead soldier in my community. I have no time. I have no motive."

Wilson said there were other people who heard the speaker phone call, including Mrs. Johnson's aunt, uncle, her own press person, the driver, and the master sergeant making the trip to the airport in Miami.

"We're not trying to, leading up to the funeral of this young man, get into some sort of match with the president of the United States," Wilson told Camerota. "[Trump should be] trying to find out what he could do to make up for what he did say, instead of calling me a liar and calling everyone else in the car a liar. He doesn't even know how to sympathize with people."

Wilson also slammed Trump's decision to tweet an attack on her.

"It's disgraceful for him to even tweet about this, and as I say, this gentleman has a brain disorder and he needs to be checked out," said Wilson.

Trump's tweet came minutes after Wilson was being interviewed on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" program, and after she claimed that the president sounded as if he was "almost like joking" when he told the widow of a Green Beret sergeant killed in action in Niger that he "knew what he signed up for."

Story continues below video.

"He said, well, I guess you knew, something to the fact that he knew what he was getting into when he signed up, but I guess it hurts anyway,'" the Florida Democrat told MSNBC's "Morning Joe" program. "You know, just matter of factually. That this happens. Anyone who is signing up for military duty is signing up to die. And that's the way we interpreted it, and it was horrible."

Ender
10-18-2017, 01:04 PM
Stop spinning. People who go into the military do know what they sign up for. They, and their families, know there is always a risk they could die on the job. I grew up in a military family, and we always knew there were ideals worth fighting for. Libertarians believe that, and they would fight to their last breath for the ideal of liberty for all. There were times when PTA meetings at our school were all moms because all the dads were over in southeast Asia. It was a very unjust conflict, but that's how it is. My classmates had draft numbers. It was always a threat and not all of them signed up for it.

Zippy, this kind of stuff is why your side lost. People are offended by it and you need to cut it out. The rest of you should stop with the childish giggling. If you so-called liberty people had put up a halfway decent candidate you might have actually got some votes. Stop ragging on the president. He was duly elected and I am up to here with the silliness. Grow up.

Maybe you should say that to Trump?

euphemia
10-18-2017, 01:06 PM
Maybe you should say that to Trump?

He's not the most eloquent president we have ever had. I don't know why he even bothers. He's really between a rock and a hard place. Darned if he does, darned if he doesn't. I'm really sick of all the snarking. We put up with Obama's smirking and snark for eight years. Liberty people should be better than that.

dannno
10-18-2017, 01:06 PM
Yes- Trump did say this; you can slam on Zip all you want or actually own up to some of Trump's stupid remarks.

Or you can call zip and the rest of these dumbfucks out for being tools..

That is a completely reasonable thing to say.

Just saying "He knew what he signed up for" to a grieving parent is NOT.

This is the essence of every Trump debate we have, the dishonest tactics are coming from YOUR side and you need to face up to it some day.

specsaregood
10-18-2017, 01:15 PM
Stop spinning. People who go into the military do know what they sign up for. They, and their families, know there is always a risk they could die on the job.

Thing is, with these liberals continuing to try to push more kids into the military and/or mandating other forms of civil slavery, they really don't want them to know what they are signing up for.

Raginfridus
10-18-2017, 01:29 PM
Everyone can't be Ronald Reagan who always knew what to say and when. Or Calvin Coolidge who just kept quiet.You remember Calvin Coolidge?!

https://youtu.be/pNQn86vL5zE

Ender
10-18-2017, 01:30 PM
Or you can call zip and the rest of these dumbfucks out for being tools..

That is a completely reasonable thing to say.

Just saying "He knew what he signed up for" to a grieving parent is NOT.

This is the essence of every Trump debate we have, the dishonest tactics are coming from YOUR side and you need to face up to it some day.

I read about this earlier and it was Trump that made the big deal out of it.

Trump said this to a grieving pregnant WIFE on speaker phone, who was on her way to the casket- and several people heard it.

Why don't YOU stop being the dumb fuck and admit that Trump should learn to keep his mouth shut and stop with the tweets.

Here's the Congresswoman live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWC0VDhjiWo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_UoQXk8CCI

euphemia
10-18-2017, 01:30 PM
I may be in the minority when I say I think a professional military is not bad. In my opinion, we need people mobilized and ready all the time to deal with whatever threats might come our way. National defense is called for in the Constitution. I'm not thrilled with the social engineering and some of the things I see in the military these days. I grew up in a military community and I learned to read the faces of the men who served overseas in very difficult situations. What I see today is vastly different, but not in a good way. I don't think we need to go back to the good old days, but I do think we need to look at what we're doing to people and be prepared to defend our nation against foreign and domestic threats. I haven't expressed that well, but there you go.

jllundqu
10-18-2017, 01:35 PM
I've seen some spin and some bullshit come out of the leftist media, but this one is right up there on my bullshit meter. Does ANYONE, I mean absolutely ANYONE, actually believe that the President would tell a grieving [edit] wife, in essence, "Well he knew what he signed up for." Or do you think Trump said what was posted above:

He knew what he signed up for and the risk it involved. But he did it anyway because he loved his country...

You people have all lost your fucking minds with this bullshit.

Ender
10-18-2017, 01:39 PM
He's not the most eloquent president we have ever had. I don't know why he even bothers. He's really between a rock and a hard place. Darned if he does, darned if he doesn't. I'm really sick of all the snarking. We put up with Obama's smirking and snark for eight years. Liberty people should be better than that.

"Liberty" people are snarking all the time on this forum instead of having a decent discussion about anything Trump.

Ender
10-18-2017, 01:41 PM
I've seen some spin and some bull$#@! come out of the leftist media, but this one is right up there on my bull$#@! meter. Does ANYONE, I mean absolutely ANYONE, actually believe that the President would tell a grieving mother, in essence, "Well he knew what he signed up for." Or do you think Trump said what was posted above:

You people have all lost your $#@!ing minds with this bull$#@!.

Trump said this to a grieving pregnant WIFE on speaker phone, who was on her way to the casket with her Congresswoman- and several people heard it.

phill4paul
10-18-2017, 01:45 PM
The woman he made the comment to verifies the story.

A half million so far.....

https://www.gofundme.com/sgt-la-david-johnson-scholarship

Reminds me of all the waiters/waitresses that scammed people by making a viral post "They didn't tip me because I'm gay and you wouldn't believe what they wrote as a comment."

Swordsmyth
10-18-2017, 01:51 PM
Trump said this to a grieving pregnant WIFE on speaker phone, who was on her way to the casket with her Congresswoman- and several people heard it.

A half million so far.....

Reminds me of all the waiters/waitresses that scammed people by making a viral post "They didn't tip me because I'm gay and you wouldn't believe what they wrote as a comment."

Anyone want to bet what party affiliation the witnesses have?

jllundqu
10-18-2017, 01:53 PM

I asked a serious question. you know I have no love for Trump and he is on record saying some seriously stupid stuff, however, do YOU honestly believe the way this is being spun?

enhanced_deficit
10-18-2017, 01:55 PM
In NBC news glimpse I saw in the morning, they were showing photo of only one fallen soldier few times, maybe I missed the others or they were focussing on one of the four soldiers because of the "disrespect" controversy.
Four troops were killed in Niger:

http://a57.foxnews.com/images.foxnews.com/content/fox-news/world/2017/10/09/after-niger-ambush-faces-fallen-us-soldiers/_jcr_content/par/featured_image/media-0.img.jpg/931/524/1507578023256.jpg?ve=1&tl=1&text=big-top-image

Is media also checking with families of other troops to see how all of Trump's calls went?

Or is media trying to push a racial narrative here that Trump is selectively "disrespectful"?

Trump is capable of saying anything .. but could the AIPAC junkets funded Rep Frederica Wilson have another motive to misrepresent/state things out of context to create a narrative with the help of war lobbies allied media machine?
AIPAC linked lobbies have been bit unhappy with Trump ending support for ISIS in Syria, Libya, Iraq etc that their financed candidate Obama was accused of founding fathering.

Rep. Frederica Wilson: Death Of Soldier In Niger Will Be "Trump's Benghazi," Comments to Widow "A Coverup"
Tim Hains
On Date October 18, 2017
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2017/10/18/rep_frederica_wilson_death_of_la_david_johnson_is_ going_to_be_mr_trumps_benghazi_comments_to_widow_a _coverup.html

Rep. Frederica Wilson Tells “The View”: “President Trump Is A Liar,” Sgt. La David Johnson’s Death Is “His Benghazi”

Do the media / left wing neocons see this as an opening to "settle scores" for Benghazi mom calling Hillary and Obama team a liar?

https://nteb-mudflowermedia.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/benghazi-coverup-barack-obama-hillary-clinton-susan-rice-innocence-of-muslims.jpg

Mother of Sean Smith who was killed in Benghazi calls Hillary Clinton liar
www.dailymail.co.uk/.../Mother-U-S- (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/.../Mother-U-S-) killed-Benghazi-calls-...
Jan 14, 2016 - Mother of State Department official killed in Benghazi lashes out at Clinton ... I went up to all of them, begging them to tell me what happened.

The difference may be that then Benghazi mom was interviewed on right wing neoconish Fox from what I recall and in this case MSNBC and left wing neoconish media is taking the lead.

phill4paul
10-18-2017, 01:57 PM
In NBC news glimpse I caught in the mornng, they were showing one photo , maybe I missed the others. For troops were killed in Niger:

http://a57.foxnews.com/images.foxnews.com/content/fox-news/world/2017/10/09/after-niger-ambush-faces-fallen-us-soldiers/_jcr_content/par/featured_image/media-0.img.jpg/931/524/1507578023256.jpg?ve=1&tl=1&text=big-top-image

Is media also checking with family of other trooops how his calls went?

Or is media trying to push a racial narrative here that Trump is selectively "disrespectful"?

Trump is capable of saying anything .. but could the AIPAC junkets funded Rep have another motive to misrespresent/state things out of context to create a narrative with the help of war lobbies allied media machine?

Rep. Frederica Wilson: Death Of Soldier In Niger Will Be "Trump's Benghazi," Comments to Widow "A Coverup"

Posted By Tim Hains
On Date October 18, 2017

Rep. Frederica Wilson Tells “The View”: “President Trump Is A Liar,” Sgt. La David Johnson’s Death Is “His Benghazi”
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2017/10/18/rep_frederica_wilson_death_of_la_david_johnson_is_ going_to_be_mr_trumps_benghazi_comments_to_widow_a _coverup.html

Well, since nothing at all happened in Benghazi I'd have to ask "What does it matter, anyway?"

Zippyjuan
10-18-2017, 02:03 PM
Trump only called after media criticized him about having nothing to say on the attack.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/two-weeks-later-trump-still-hasnt-addressed-us-deaths-niger

Two weeks later, Trump still hasn’t addressed US deaths in Niger

On Oct. 4, exactly two weeks ago, four American soldiers were killed in an ambush in northwestern Africa. Donald Trump, who routinely tweets a series of provocative thoughts in response to deadly terrorism said nothing. As the remains of the U.S. Special Forces soldiers started to return home, Trump again said nothing, golfing as the caskets arrived at Dover Air Force.

As the Washington Post reported today, the president has had plenty to say about a wide range of topics since the deadly attack in Niger – he’s apparently upset with protesting athletes, Democrats, the mayor or San Juan, and major American news organizations – but Trump has remained completely silent on the deadliest attack on U.S. military forces since he took office.

That seemed to change on Monday, when a reporter asked about his reticence, but even then, Trump’s answer covered a lot of ground – he’s impressed with his communications with family members of the fallen, and he’s taken some cheap and misleading shots at Barack Obama – without even trying to address the underlying question:

Why did these four Americans die?

It’s not that the other questions are unimportant. When Trump lies about the records of his predecessors, it matters. When the president says he calls each of the families of those killed in action, but fails to follow through, it matters. When he clumsily tries and fails to bring comfort to those who are grieving, it matters. When Trump seems to exploit the memory of his chief of staff’s son, who died in Afghanistan, for petty political purposes, it matters.

But we’re still left with the fact that the president, as The Atlantic’s David Graham noted today, has “pushed the conversation even further away from the actual question of the fallen soldiers.”

And there’s no reason anyone should consider that acceptable. How did ISIS-affiliated fighters ambush U.S. Special Forces in an area considered to be low-risk? Why did it take so long for help to arrive? Why did it take nearly two days to recover the body of one of the four Americans killed?

And why is Donald Trump willing to talk about practically every subject except this one?

Two weeks later, the commander in chief hasn’t even acknowledged what happened. The questions have been ignored and/or buried by a series of related distractions.

Raginfridus
10-18-2017, 02:03 PM
MSM forgot we were even bleeding for Niger... hell, so did I until a couple weeks ago... what are we doing there again?

phill4paul
10-18-2017, 02:05 PM
MSM forgot we were even bleeding for Niger... hell, so did I until a couple weeks ago... what are we doing there again?

Protecting our freedoms? Fighting them over there so we don't have to fight them here?

Zippyjuan
10-18-2017, 02:06 PM
http://time.com/4986918/us-military-niger-soldier-deaths-investigaton/

The Defense Department Is Looking Into Why Four U.S. Soldiers Died in Niger

The Defense Department is opening an investigation into the deaths of four U.S. soldiers in Niger earlier this month, as President Trump faces criticism for how he has approached the bereaved families.

The probe will examine the military's preparation for the operation as questions swirl about the quality of the U.S. Africa Command's intelligence reports, including why the October 4 ambush wasn't anticipated, CNN reports.

The soldiers, part of a 12-strong Special Forces team led by Green Berets, were on their back from a meeting with local community leaders when they were ambushed by a group of 50 ISIS-affiliated fighters armed with machine guns and rocket propelled grenades, according to CNN. The soldiers were reportedly only armed with rifles and their vehicles were not armored. The attack lasted 30 minutes until French air support dispersed the militants and helicopters evacuated American forces.

The four soldiers killed in the shootout— Staff Sgt. Bryan Black, Staff Sgt. Jeremiah Johnson, and Staff Sgt. Dustin Wright, and Sgt. La David Johnson — were the first American soldiers killed by hostile fire since the U.S. began providing training and assistance to local military forces, the New York Times reported. Another soldiers two injured in the attack and were taken to Niamey, the capital, about 124 miles away.

The probe is also expected to look into how one of the slain soldiers, Sgt. La David Johnson, became separated from the rest of the group. His body was recovered 48 hours later.

President Trump received criticism this past week for failing to personally address the incident or make phone calls to families of the slain soldiers. When Johnson's body was returned to Dover Air Force Base on October 7, Trump was golfing.

euphemia
10-18-2017, 02:09 PM
They haven't quite gotten to the botom of that Benghazi thing, have they? At this point, what does it matter? Hillary may not recall saying that, though. Sheesh, Zippy, some days you hit below the belt and ignore the atrocities committed by your side.

Swordsmyth
10-18-2017, 02:11 PM
They haven't quite gotten to the botom of that Benghazi thing, have they? At this point, what does it matter? Hillary may not recall saying that, though. Sheesh, Zippy, some days you hit below the belt and ignore the atrocities committed by your side.

SOME DAYS?

Raginfridus
10-18-2017, 02:16 PM
Protecting our freedoms? Fighting them over there so we don't have to fight them here?
Ah! Of course, thank you Commissar! :D

Where's the outrage that we're recolonizing Africa? Are the Black Caucus, NAACP, and the Nation of Islam ok with neo-colonialism in 2017, as long as we bleed equal parts for their distant, distant relatives as we do for the Semites?

"You're fighting too many European and Asian wars, and not African wars!"

Is it just me, or is everybody missing the point?

Jamesiv1
10-18-2017, 02:22 PM
The biggest problem Trump faces, is that his enemies are willing to murder to get what they want, or murder to hang on to what they have. American citizens. American soldiers - doesn't matter.

Good people aren't willing to do that.

jllundqu
10-18-2017, 02:24 PM
Trump only called after media criticized him about having nothing to say on the attack.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/two-weeks-later-trump-still-hasnt-addressed-us-deaths-niger

That is bullshit and you know it. The Pentagon hadn't finished their protocol and notification until YESTERDAY. That is the earliest he could have spoken on it and made calls. I never thought I would be in a position to defend Trump on anything, but this is certifiably insane that you all are towing the leftist media line on it.

Swordsmyth
10-18-2017, 02:26 PM
Are the Black Caucus, NAACP, and the Nation of Islam ok with neo-colonialism in 2017?

The real Uncle Toms.

Zippyjuan
10-18-2017, 02:29 PM
That is bull$#@! and you know it. The Pentagon hadn't finished their protocol and notification until YESTERDAY. That is the earliest he could have spoken on it and made calls. I never thought I would be in a position to defend Trump on anything, but this is certifiably insane that you all are towing the leftist media line on it.

What is their notification protocol? The death was two weeks prior and the body had already been returned. A President can't express condolences before then?

https://www.spousebuzz.com/blog/2013/07/what-to-expect-when-a-servicemember-is-killed-or-injured.html

The news is supposed to reach you within 12 hours of his death. The services use that time to get their notification team together, find your address and send someone to your home. If you live near the base and have all your contact information up to date with your unit, they’ll arrive at your home very quickly. If you’ve moved and live far away from any base, it may take the full 12 hours. If you live in a very remote location (for example our past unit had to send a team to notify in the Philippines) it could take more than 12 hours.

Jamesiv1
10-18-2017, 02:30 PM
Anybody could gather a handful of mercenary soldiers, pay em plenty of money, dress em up like ISIS, and have them kill some American soldiers.

Good people aren't willing to do that. Why? Because they are good not evil.

euphemia
10-18-2017, 02:32 PM
Zip, please take this in the spirit it is intended: I have been one of the very few people that think you have a place here to provoke discussion. But I think you have gone too far this time. Obama was at a baseball game in Cuba during the Brussels attack. He took selfies at Mandela's funeral. He was plenty inappropriate. Hillary stood on the tarmac with the Benghazi families and lied.

Dude, you need to get a grip and have a little respect for others. You are sounding way too desperate.

enhanced_deficit
10-18-2017, 02:33 PM
Well, since nothing at all happened in Benghazi I'd have to ask "What does it matter, anyway?"

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/cd/75/c2/cd75c2e8f83268dafbb3b09ae0708c29--truth-about-benghazi-politics-humor.jpg

https://obamadiary.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/610x89.jpg?w=610&h=424
http://media.arkansasonline.com/img/photos/2017/01/04/resized_250499-01-main-v00-7_94-22389_t598.JPG?b7052f07a6139e7088ebc43100469802b25 60d37
Team AIPAC: Controversial Rep. Frederica Wilson and Obama (who was embroiled in Benghazi coverup controversy)

On the surface seems like a double standard, she didn't seem to have problem with Obama despite Benghazi but now is trying to manufacture a Benghazi for "liar Trump".

If US media is really free, some employee of media owners should ask her what was her stance on Syria war/Libya operations/ISIS / Trump calling Obama founding father of ISIS/ Benghazi and Benghazi mom who criticized Obama administration as liars.

Good news is that neither side plays politics with lives of troops.

Ender
10-18-2017, 03:11 PM
I asked a serious question. you know I have no love for Trump and he is on record saying some seriously stupid stuff, however, do YOU honestly believe the way this is being spun?

Here's the WH response to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ojgzL0V4xE

I do think the women took the remarks very negatively, whether Trump meant it or not. Besides the grieving wife, the Congresswomen knew the soldier personally and I believe was his principal some years ago. The wife seemed heartbroken over the fact that Trump didn't seem to know the soldier's name and kept calling him "Your guy".

If it is someone extremely dear to you, it's a little hard to forgive seeming nonchalance over their death- even if it wasn't meant to sound that way. Trump is terrible with words & really needs to shut up & stay off Twitter.

And, off topic- the whole killing of these men is under suspicion- seems to be some secretive stuff attached to the tragedy. Time will tell

TheTexan
10-18-2017, 03:15 PM

Reported to mods. You really shouldn't be using that word.

Swordsmyth
10-18-2017, 03:17 PM
Here's the WH response to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ojgzL0V4xE

I do think the women took the remarks very negatively, whether Trump meant it or not. Besides the grieving wife, the Congresswomen knew the soldier personally and I believe was his principal some years ago. The wife seemed heartbroken over the fact that Trump didn't seem to know the soldier's name and kept calling him "Your guy".

If it is someone extremely dear to you, it's a little hard to forgive seeming nonchalance over their death- even if it wasn't meant to sound that way. Trump is terrible with words & really needs to shut up & stay off Twitter.

And, off topic- the whole killing of these men is under suspicion- seems to be some secretive stuff attached to the tragedy. Time will tell

Trump is old, old people have memory lapses, the Demoncrats are engaging in Ageism.

They have no charity in their hearts or any respect for the dead, they will politicize anything.

otherone
10-18-2017, 03:41 PM
GOOD GAWD

BREAD AND CIRCUSES

"Trump didn't pretend to care"

Brian4Liberty
10-18-2017, 04:06 PM

Wilson told CNN that she is not trying to prove anything about Trump, and he "evidently is lying, because what I said is true. I have no reason to lie on the president of the United States, with a dead soldier in my community. I have no time. I have no motive."

Wilson said there were other people who heard the speaker phone call, including Mrs. Johnson's aunt, uncle, her own press person, the driver, and the master sergeant making the trip to the airport in Miami.

"We're not trying to, leading up to the funeral of this young man, get into some sort of match with the president of the United States," Wilson told Camerota. "[Trump should be] trying to find out what he could do to make up for what he did say, instead of calling me a liar and calling everyone else in the car a liar. He doesn't even know how to sympathize with people."

Wilson also slammed Trump's decision to tweet an attack on her.

"It's disgraceful for him to even tweet about this, and as I say, this gentleman has a brain disorder and he needs to be checked out," said Wilson.

Trump's tweet came minutes after Wilson was being interviewed on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" program, and after she claimed that the president sounded as if he was "almost like joking" when he told the widow of a Green Beret sergeant killed in action in Niger that he "knew what he signed up for."

Trump says (and even worse, tweets) stupid sh!t all the time. Where is this strawman that needs to "own up" to someone else's stupid remarks?

As far as defending this Congresswoman as being some innocent butterfly, did you get into Dannno's stash? She doesn't have a motive? She doesn't want to make a big deal out of this? Why is she divulging this private conversation to reporters, and going on MSNBC and CNN? And she couldn't possibly be taking things out of context. :rolleyes:

She heard exactly what she wanted to hear (and the progressive media wants to report), and no doubt she heard Trump calling to say "too bad this guy got killed, but he's a black guy, so it's not really so bad".

RJB
10-18-2017, 04:16 PM

It seems impossible for the MSM to put any of Trump's quotations in context. + rep for doing their job.

Poor Zippy and Ender. Danke's ruining their fake news fun.

Champ
10-18-2017, 04:45 PM
Division over nothing.

Remember why you are in this thread or why you feel compelled to attack other forum members words over issues listed in the OP. Much of this looks like a YouTube comments section and will continue to drive people away from these forums.

nikcers
10-18-2017, 05:03 PM
Man that Ralphie may, he knew what he was getting in to when he ate that family meal at KFC, but he did it because he loved his fried chicken.

Wooden Indian
10-18-2017, 07:08 PM
Why get your panties twisted either way? Regardless of the truth in this, the facts are that Trump is the President during a time of unconstitutional wars and is spreading our citizens blood all over foreign land. Why? For the profits and power of the MIC.

So unless he said, "I'm sorry I allowed this to continue under my watch. Please forgive me...." I dont give a flying fuck if he said 'your guy' 'that guy' signed up for' or anything else for that matter. Fuck him in his ear and fuck you goobers for caring so damn much, which is what the MSM wants you to do.

Danke
10-18-2017, 08:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsSuRZ3BNzk

oyarde
10-18-2017, 08:49 PM
No shit. I mean really, who are you going to believe, some scrub nobody, or the President of the United States?

I think I need to point out to you that nearly one quarter of the Marines , Navy and Air Force did not vote . Do you think that is acceptable ?

oyarde
10-18-2017, 08:50 PM

Hunting Juleswin's Che camp .

Danke
10-18-2017, 08:54 PM
I think I need to point out to you that nearly one quarter of the Marines , Navy and Air Force did not vote . Do you think that is acceptable ?

Probably made up of lazy Injuns and Hispanics (didn't mean to be redundant). And possibly some foreigners hoping to gain citizenship.

oyarde
10-18-2017, 08:58 PM
Probably made up of lazy Injuns and Hispanics. And possibly some foreigners hoping to gain citizenship.

I always mailed in my absentee ballot from overseas . I even subscribed to my local newspapers weekly addition that I would get two months later . I am a Great Patriot .

Ender
10-18-2017, 09:04 PM
Trump says (and even worse, tweets) stupid sh!t all the time. Where is this strawman that needs to "own up" to someone else's stupid remarks?

As far as defending this Congresswoman as being some innocent butterfly, did you get into Dannno's stash? She doesn't have a motive? She doesn't want to make a big deal out of this? Why is she divulging this private conversation to reporters, and going on MSNBC and CNN? And she couldn't possibly be taking things out of context. :rolleyes:

She heard exactly what she wanted to hear (and the progressive media wants to report), and no doubt she heard Trump calling to say "too bad this guy got killed, but he's a black guy, so it's not really so bad".

Uhhh....I wasn't defending HER- I was saying that Trump needs to STFU. Did you read this post of mine?

oyarde
10-18-2017, 09:12 PM
Probably made up of lazy Injuns and Hispanics (didn't mean to be redundant). And possibly some foreigners hoping to gain citizenship.

Foreigners usually do not like be referred to as such from my experience . Does not seem like an effective way to bring them into the fold . I have run combat teams with lots of types of people but no lazies .

Danke
10-18-2017, 09:27 PM
Foreigners usually do not like be referred to as such from my experience . Does not seem like an effective way to bring them into the fold . I have run combat teams with lots of types of people but no lazies .

"....but no lazies." Of course. From your perspective.

oyarde
10-18-2017, 09:33 PM
"....but no lazies." Of course. From your perspective.

Yeah , I do not really expect they can keep up with me , as long as the can follow instructions and improvise from there .

dannno
10-18-2017, 09:39 PM

Troll.

oyarde
10-18-2017, 09:56 PM
Troll.

It is not easy having to constantly lead from the front. Since I am a Great Patriot though I push on .

Weston White
10-18-2017, 10:11 PM

I call BOLLOCKS, she is pushing the Trump is a racist, Trump is mentally ill narrative!

She is associated with Black Caucus: https://wilson.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/congresswoman-wilson-hosts-congressional-black-caucus-for-the-people

She has a history of associating with pro African-American groups, rather than diversity focused groups.

She has a history of disliking Trump: http://www.businessinsider.com/who-is-frederica-wilson-trump-2017-10

She supports his impeachment: https://congressionalblackcaucus.com/rep-frederica-wilson-president-trump-on-the-brink-of-impeachment-2/

She is a hypocrite and a blowhard fool: "She has asked former House Speaker John Boehner to waive the rule prohibiting the wearing of hats on the floor of the House of Representatives, a rule in place since 1837."

Danke
10-18-2017, 10:33 PM
I call BOLLOCKS, she is pushing the Trump is a racist, Trump is mentally ill narrative!

She is associated with Black Caucus: https://wilson.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/congresswoman-wilson-hosts-congressional-black-caucus-for-the-people

She has a history of associating with pro African-American groups, rather than diversity focused groups.

She has a history of disliking Trump: http://www.businessinsider.com/who-is-frederica-wilson-trump-2017-10

She supports his impeachment: https://congressionalblackcaucus.com/rep-frederica-wilson-president-trump-on-the-brink-of-impeachment-2/

She is a hypocrite and a blowhard fool: "She has asked former House Speaker John Boehner to waive the rule prohibiting the wearing of hats on the floor of the House of Representatives, a rule in place since 1837."

What did you expect from an Ender post?

TheTexan
10-18-2017, 10:41 PM

Thats in large part because a lot of our troops come home unfortunately with PTSD and other mental illnesses.

It's very sad.

Ender
10-18-2017, 11:56 PM

Did you read this post of mine?

Ender
10-18-2017, 11:57 PM
What did you expect from an Ender post?

Just. Stop.

Ender
10-19-2017, 12:57 AM
And, if anyone cares, the fallen soldier's mother confirmed what the Congresswoman said:

The Department of Defense initially withheld news of Johnson’s death in “hopes he would be found alive”. Military officials said Johnson had activated his military beacon and the military had been able to track him before the signal faded.

It remains unclear if Johnson, the ambush’s fourth confirmed US casualty, was killed during the initial fight or was first captured. Officials have not said how he died.

Shortly before Johnson’s body arrived at Miami airport on Tuesday, his wife Myeshia Johnson received the condolence call during which Trump reportedly told the grieving widow her husband “knew what he was signing up for, but I guess it hurts anyway”.

The comments, vigorously denied by Trump, were made public by Florida congresswoman Frederica Wilson who had been in the car with Johnson’s widow. Wilson’s description of the call was later backed up by the slain soldier’s mother, Cowanda Jones-Johnson, who also heard the call on speaker phone.

“President Trump did disrespect my son and my daughter and also me and my husband,” Jones-Johnson told the Washington Post.

According to Wilson, Trump was unable to to recall the name of the fallen soldier during his conversation with Johnson’s widow.

“She was crying the whole time, and when she hung up the phone, she looked at me and said, ‘He didn’t even remember his name.’ That’s the hurting part,” Wilson told MSNBC.

“It was horrible. It was insensitive. It was absolutely crazy, unnecessary. I was livid.”

According to the military journal Task & Purpose, Johnson enlisted in the Army in January 2014 as a wheeled vehicle mechanic.

His awards and decorations include the Army Achievement Medal, the Army Good Conduct Medal, the Global War on Terrorism Medal, the Army Service Ribbon, the Army Parachutist Badge, the Army Air Assault Badge, the Driver and Mechanic Badge and the Marksmanship Qualification Badge – Sharpshooter with Rifle.

He leaves behind a wife and two children, whose names were tattooed on his chest. Sgt Johnson’s third child is due in January.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/oct/18/sgt-la-david-johnson-soldier-at-the-center-of-dispute-over-trump-remarks

Weston White
10-19-2017, 01:07 AM
Oh yes, sure. ...And I heard Obama verified it too, and he wasn't even in the car! Amazing, just amazing!

https://i.imgflip.com/nc87y.jpg

Ender
10-19-2017, 01:59 AM
DUPE

Ender
10-19-2017, 02:00 AM
@Weston White: Oh yes, sure. ...And I heard Obama verified it too, and he wasn't even in the car! Amazing, just amazing!

I don't believe the wife & mother are lying.

What I read earlier today was that the Congresswoman mentioned it in an interview but was mostly talking about Trump not knowing the soldier's name. Trump exploded on Twitter and called her a liar. All that any person, with some spark of courtesy and thoughtfulness for a bereaved family of a fallen decorated soldier, would need to do is be willing to apologize for his words, that might have been taken wrong, and tell them how proud he was of the soldier.

Instead he chose to mouth off, say he never said it, and get his ego in the way.

My main point is, again, that Trump needs to keep his mouth shut and stay off twitter.

Weston White
10-19-2017, 05:05 AM
I don't believe the wife & mother are lying.

What I read earlier today was that the Congresswoman mentioned it in an interview but was mostly talking about Trump not knowing the soldier's name. Trump exploded on Twitter and called her a liar. All that any person, with some spark of courtesy and thoughtfulness for a bereaved family of a fallen decorated soldier, would need to do is be willing to apologize for his words, that might have been taken wrong, and tell them how proud he was of the soldier.

Instead he chose to mouth off, say he never said it, and get his ego in the way.

My main point is, again, that Trump needs to keep his mouth shut and stay off twitter.

Oh I don't doubt that, he faltered, but they congresswoman is exploiting it and does have an agenda. This was intended to be a private phone call, she made it public to further the push to impeach Trump, shame on her for this. This was an absolute setup to demean and discredit Trump; they were going to complaint about something no matter what it was, his tone of voice, his lack of concern, whatever. Remember his name, seriously, as if he personally knows the guy (dude was already active from before Trump's administration anyways), it is a lame political stunt through and through, and it should have been avoided, as it in the end, pointless. Just make sure his contracts are honored and his final resting place as well, leave it at that and move on to other things.

The congresswoman is clearly lying about her motives and the family is very willing to aid her, if they have to tell a few white-lies so be it.

H. E. Panqui
10-19-2017, 06:04 AM
Why get your panties twisted either way? Regardless of the truth in this, the facts are that Trump is the President during a time of unconstitutional wars and is spreading our citizens blood all over foreign land. Why? For the profits and power of the MIC.

So unless he said, "I'm sorry I allowed this to continue under my watch. Please forgive me...." I dont give a flying $#@! if he said 'your guy' 'that guy' signed up for' or anything else for that matter. $#@! him in his ear and $#@! you goobers for caring so damn much, which is what the MSM wants you to do.

:D

....exactly...only a pathetic, trifling, brain-laundered republicrat :o cheerleader could defend ANY of these stinking rotten bank$ter-puppet politicians...

Ender
10-19-2017, 07:59 AM
Oh I don't doubt that, he faltered, but they congresswoman is exploiting it and does have an agenda. This was intended to be a private phone call, she made it public to further the push to impeach Trump, shame on her for this. This was an absolute setup to demean and discredit Trump; they were going to complaint about something no matter what it was, his tone of voice, his lack of concern, whatever. Remember his name, seriously, as if he personally knows the guy (dude was already active from before Trump's administration anyways), it is a lame political stunt through and through, and it should have been avoided, as it in the end, pointless. Just make sure his contracts are honored and his final resting place as well, leave it at that and move on to other things.

The congresswoman is clearly lying about her motives and the family is very willing to aid her, if they have to tell a few white-lies so be it.

Dude- would you really be lying & playing the politics game if your son or wife just died?

The Congresswoman- very possible- but the family?

nikcers
10-19-2017, 08:07 AM
Dude- would you really be lying & playing the politics game if your son or wife just died?

Don't blame the politicians blame the people who elected them. We had a chance to bring the troops home, multiple times, if they don't like it they should blame themselves. Civilized people make a civil society not civilized government.

Mordan
10-19-2017, 08:21 AM
That is bull$#@! and you know it. The Pentagon hadn't finished their protocol and notification until YESTERDAY. That is the earliest he could have spoken on it and made calls. I never thought I would be in a position to defend Trump on anything, but this is certifiably insane that you all are towing the leftist media line on it.

i saw that in September 2016 when everyone was piling on Trump for things he never said contextually. I don't support emotionally insane people. Trump got my support by default.

Weston White
10-19-2017, 09:46 AM

If the family dislikes Trump or is black-power, absolutely.

enhanced_deficit
10-19-2017, 10:04 AM

Curious, do you believe your argument applies to following familiy reactions and therefore you agree with their view that Obama/Hillary had lied to/disrespected families of troops killed under Obama's watch?

Politics

Father of Fallen Soldier Says White House Turned Down Request for Obama Phone Call

Published January 07, 2011

http://a57.foxnews.com/images.foxnews.com/content/fox-news/politics/2011/01/07/father-fallen-soldier-says-white-house-turned-request-obama-phone/_jcr_content/par/featured-media/media-0.img.jpg/876/493/1421910021540.jpg?ve=1&tl=1 Shown here is Sgt. Sean Collins, who was killed Dec. 12 in Afghanistan. (Q13 FOX)

It was bad enough that after Sgt. Sean Collins was killed in Afghanistan (http://www.foxnews.com/topics/politics/afghanistan.htm#r_src=ramp) his parents received a senator's letter of condolence with the wrong name.
But the soldier's father says the White House added to the sting by subsequently turning down a request for President Obama to personally call Collins' mother.

Pat Collins, a retired lieutenant colonel, told Q13 FOX in Seattle that the family was told last month that the president could not fit it "into his schedule" to call mother Linda Collins about their son's death. Pat Collins, who initially made the request with the White House, said he would've understood, except for the fact that around the same time, Obama found an opening in his schedule for a much-publicized phone conversation with Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie.

"He is the president of the United States, and he's a very busy man, very important man -- but then to find out that he fit it into his schedule to call the president of the Eagles to thank him for giving Michael Vick a second chance, that kind of burns a little bit," Collins said.
After the attack, the Collins family received a letter of condolence from Washington Sen. Maria Cantwell. The top of the letter got Sgt. Sean Collins' name right, but the final paragraph referred to him as "Bryn."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/01/07/father-fallen-soldier-says-white-house-turned-request-obama-phone.html

September 26, 2012
Father Of Fallen Marine Killed In "Insider Attack" Assails Obama, Says Bring Them Home

On Laura Ingraham's nationally syndicated radio program today, the father of fallen U.S. Marine Greg Buckley Jr., who was killed by an Afghani soldier in an insider attack, spoke out against President Obama and the situation in Afghanistan.
Greg Buckley, Sr.'s son Greg, Jr., died on August 10, when an Afghan Police officer fired multiple AK-47 rounds into his chest as he worked out on an exercise bench at a Marine base in Afghanistan.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/09/26/father_of_fallen_marine_killed_in_insider_attack_a ssails_obama_says_bring_them_home.html

Mother of Sean Smith who was killed in Benghazi calls Hillary Clinton liar
www.dailymail.co.uk/.../Mother-U-S- (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/.../Mother-U-S-) killed-Benghazi-calls-...
Jan 14, 2016 - Mother of State Department official killed in Benghazi lashes out at Clinton ... I went up to all of them, begging them to tell me what happened.

enhanced_deficit
10-19-2017, 10:18 AM
This news may vindicate Trump's claims about Obama at least partially if not completely, news stories like these most likely shaped views of GOP base/military background advisors around Trump now.
It is remarkable in that it is not just about a family not receiving the call but Obama White House actually rejecting request of a family of a soldier killed under Obama's watch who wanted to have a phone call with then President:

Father of Fallen Soldier Says White House Turned Down Request for Obama Phone Call

Published January 07, 2011

http://a57.foxnews.com/images.foxnews.com/content/fox-news/politics/2011/01/07/father-fallen-soldier-says-white-house-turned-request-obama-phone/_jcr_content/par/featured-media/media-0.img.jpg/876/493/1421910021540.jpg?ve=1&tl=1
Shown here is Sgt. Sean Collins, who was killed Dec. 12 in Afghanistan. (Q13 FOX)

It was bad enough that after Sgt. Sean Collins was killed in Afghanistan (http://www.foxnews.com/topics/politics/afghanistan.htm#r_src=ramp) his parents received a senator's letter of condolence with the wrong name.
But the soldier's father says the White House added to the sting by subsequently turning down a request for President Obama to personally call Collins' mother.

Pat Collins, a retired lieutenant colonel, told Q13 FOX in Seattle that the family was told last month that the president could not fit it "into his schedule" to call mother Linda Collins about their son's death. Pat Collins, who initially made the request with the White House, said he would've understood, except for the fact that around the same time, Obama found an opening in his schedule for a much-publicized phone conversation with Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie.

"He is the president of the United States, and he's a very busy man, very important man -- but then to find out that he fit it into his schedule to call the president of the Eagles to thank him for giving Michael Vick a second chance, that kind of burns a little bit," Collins said.

After the attack, the Collins family received a letter of condolence from Washington Sen. Maria Cantwell. The top of the letter got Sgt. Sean Collins' name right, but the final paragraph referred to him as "Bryn."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...ama-phone.html (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/01/07/father-fallen-soldier-says-white-house-turned-request-obama-phone.html)

FSP-Rebel
10-19-2017, 11:48 AM
Nice distraction for the real news of the day as we are all learning the details of how the Obama holdovers in the FBI/DOJ have been covering up the Obama/Clinton/Russian collusion 5+ yrs now. The fabricated "Trump-Russian" stuff was just to run out the clock on the SoL against Hillary. Lastly, I question Trump's admiration for the military far less than any democrat's penchant for the truth any day of the week.

angelatc
10-19-2017, 11:57 AM
i saw that in September 2016 when everyone was piling on Trump for things he never said contextually. I don't support emotionally insane people. Trump got my support by default.

Yes and the establishment GOP did the same thing to Ron Paul. Non-interventionism equating to isolationism persists to this day.

angelatc
10-19-2017, 11:58 AM

Distraught parents are distraught parents.

shakey1
10-19-2017, 12:02 PM
non-news

dannno
10-19-2017, 03:27 PM

No - and she IS - which is why the VAST MAJORITY of people in this thread find this so disgusting and despicable about her - it is precisely what Sheriff Joe explained in the video Danke posted.. It is THE primary reason conservatives are so upset about what she is doing. Why is this so difficult for you to understand?

phill4paul
10-19-2017, 03:31 PM

$580,866 of $1.0M goal

Created October 16, 2017

This campaign is trending!

Swordsmyth
10-19-2017, 03:32 PM
$580,866 of $1.0M goal

Kind of like the Hitlery recount scam.

Dary
10-19-2017, 04:25 PM
If you so-called liberty people had put up a halfway decent candidate you might have actually got some votes.

So Ron and Rand weren't even halfway decent? Wow.

dannno
10-19-2017, 04:44 PM

She was referring to the libertarian candidate in 2016, libertarians aren't responsible for who the GOP nominates.

Champ
10-19-2017, 04:53 PM
Sad that for example, the Uranium One thread, a good developing story with a lot of players and a lot of government corruption involved, only has 26 replies and this thread already has 88 replies as of this post. It seems in the past we would have been so gleeful to have such a major story like the Uranium story, exposing so many levels of government corruption in many different government agencies, but perhaps that time has passed and we opt for garbage drama like this.

It's as if people excitedly rush to be divided and prefer it, which may be the aim the OP is capitalizing on. I realize by merely posting this here I am adding to the frenzy in some way so this will be my last post.

ProBlue33
10-19-2017, 07:19 PM
Anybody else sick of the political spinning being done by both sides over tragedies ?
I know I am. It just makes people sad, frustrated and angry.

And then you have "the empty barrels making the most noise" even on RPF, sad really.

nikcers
10-19-2017, 07:48 PM
Anybody else sick of the political spinning being done by both sides over tragedies ?
I've always been sick and tired of the first line, I don't think that Trump really meant it in that matter based on the context, but I don't think there is ever justification for someone to die just because they chose that path in life. If we didn't have fake wars and fake news we wouldn't have to have these fake arguments about military deaths being justified when they are not, not when we haven't declared war, not when we don't give the troops proper training and equipment, not when we are not even supposed to be there.

silverhandorder
10-19-2017, 07:53 PM
lol 9 month in and liberals are still going insane.

H. E. Panqui
10-20-2017, 07:45 AM
lol 9 month in and liberals are still going insane.

:cool:

...yes 'the liberal democrats' are truly insane...but don't forget ?your stinking 'conservative republicans'...they're still going insane over hillary and she lost!...talk about stoooooooooooooooooooopid!... :mad:

dean.engelhardt
10-20-2017, 08:49 AM
I know I am. It just makes people sad, frustrated and angry.

And then you have "the empty barrels making the most noise" even on RPF, sad really.

I am with you. I told my wife the news seems more like the movie Hunger Games than news.

There was a time on RPF where we would question the National Interest in have military operations in Niger and not which party gets the political capital from the dead soldier.

dean.engelhardt
10-20-2017, 08:49 AM
Duplicate

angelatc
10-20-2017, 09:59 AM
There was a time on RPF where we would question the National Interest in have military operations in Niger and not which party gets the political capital from the dead soldier.

That's the whole problem with liberals. And the media of course. The Trump Derangement Syndrome takes the focus away from policy and puts it on personality. There's (hopefully) no Trump supporters here that think we belong in Niger.

specsaregood
10-20-2017, 10:28 AM
There was a time on RPF where we would question the National Interest in have military operations in Niger...

The reason you don't see that is that its all been said before thousands of times here. There is nothing here to argue about on that subject since we are all pretty much in agreement.

euphemia
10-20-2017, 11:15 AM

Try to keep up. Gary Johnson was the 2016 Libertarian candidate. Total loser, Johnson.

euphemia
10-20-2017, 11:18 AM
To The Rebel Poet the coward: Our enemies use big guns and machinery. If they ever decide to bring it here, we would be in big trouble without professional intelligence, training, and weaponry. A defensive military is fully Constitutional and is there to defend liberty. Stop stalking me around the boards if you have nothing helpful to add to a discussion.

CaptUSA
10-20-2017, 11:21 AM
That's the whole problem with liberals. And the media of course. The Trump Derangement Syndrome takes the focus away from policy and puts it on personality.

Wasn't that the quid pro quo from the beginning?! I mean, that's what Trump elected and that's what got the media their huge ratings! Why look a gift horse in the mouth? Or a cash cow, as the case may be.

euphemia
10-20-2017, 11:25 AM
Really what TDS is all about is a form of bigotry. Politicians can't stand it that Trump isn't one of them.

angelatc
10-20-2017, 11:39 AM
Moral leadership

Danke
10-20-2017, 11:41 AM
@Rebel (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/member.php?u=16584) Poet the coward: Our enemies use big guns and machinery. If they ever decide to bring it here, we would be in big trouble without professional intelligence, training, and weaponry. A defensive military is fully Constitutional and is there to defend liberty. Stop stalking me around the boards if you have nothing helpful to add to a discussion.

I think you meant the neg repper The Rebel Poet. Rebel is another member.

euphemia
10-20-2017, 11:54 AM

Yes, I didn't notice how it came out when I posted. I have fixed my post. I really do not mind when people disagree with me. I mind them stalking me around the boards with low value posts and neg reps when they really have not taken time to see the discussion unfold and participate.

Having a dad gone during a lot of my childhood made me wonder why the big shots in Washington can't negotiate a way for people to keep their distinctives and get along. But I also know it is naive to think whatever weapon a private citizen owns will be enough when enemies roll up with heavy duty weapons.

TheTexan
10-20-2017, 12:10 PM

And likely anarchist.

Beware.

EBounding
10-20-2017, 01:19 PM

H. E. Panqui
10-20-2017, 01:30 PM
There's (hopefully) no Trump supporters here that think we belong in Niger.

:eek::rolleyes:

...HELLO!!..apparently ?your republicrat puppet and buffoon, trump, 'thinks we belong in niger'...why wouldn't any of his ridiculous republicrat supporters think we belong in niger?!? :confused:

angelatc
10-20-2017, 01:58 PM
:eek::rolleyes:

...HELLO!!..apparently ?your republicrat puppet and buffoon, trump, 'thinks we belong in niger'...why wouldn't any of his ridiculous republicrat supporters think we belong in niger?!? :confused:

Hello to you too!

I was referring to Ron Paul Forums. Most of the Trump supporters that were here in 2007/2008 and also 2011/2012 were united on foreign policy. Admittedly I haven't paid much attention but I haven't noticed a surge in interventionists trolls here.

The original point as I saw it was that back in the day the conversation here would not have focused on the alleged slight and would have instead zeroed in on foreign policy. That's true. But that doesn't necessarily mean that people who support Trump have shifted on foreign policy, but simply that some of Ron Paul's supporters settled for less than perfection in their 2016 candidate choice.

angelatc
10-20-2017, 02:01 PM

Well when David A Clarke thinks you've crossed a wardrobe line you really should take a look at yourself.

angelatc
10-20-2017, 02:03 PM

He's been a roll lately apparently.

phill4paul
10-20-2017, 04:56 PM
Ron Paul's supporters settled for less than perfection in their 2016 candidate choice.

And there is the rub. Settling just doesn't settle well with some. So the choice is choose the shit sandwich with mayo or the shit sandwich with mustard. Guess it depends on whether you like mayo or mustard better.

angelatc
10-20-2017, 05:55 PM
And there is the rub. Settling just doesn't settle well with some. So the choice is choose the shit sandwich with mayo or the shit sandwich with mustard. Guess it depends on whether you like mayo or mustard better.

Sure. I don't understand the Trump support except to the extent that he probably finished Her off politically, and to that extent kept SCOTUS conservative. I hate the left so I'm ok with people who voted for him to stop Her.

You were here in 07 - there were lots of us who jumped on the Obama bandwagon after Paul lost. This is the same thing pretty much. Both candidates promised a change from traditional politics. Obama's biggest strength was Pelosi. The GOP hates Trump though.

phill4paul
10-20-2017, 07:36 PM
Sure. I don't understand the Trump support except to the extent that he probably finished Her off politically, and to that extent kept SCOTUS conservative. I hate the left so I'm ok with people who voted for him to stop Her.

You were here in 07 - there were lots of us who jumped on the Obama bandwagon after Paul lost. This is the same thing pretty much. Both candidates promised a change from traditional politics. Obama's biggest strength was Pelosi. The GOP hates Trump though.

Umm, I'm not recalling the Obama bandwagon. At all.

dannno
10-20-2017, 07:52 PM

The vast majority didn't support either candidate, but I seem to recall a few more folks who supported Obama over McCain than McCain over Obama. I was in the "neither" camp but I was sorta leaning toward hoping Obama won just to show conservatives how stupid they were for supporting the war in Iraq.. but I also had a pretty strong feeling Obama wasn't going to do much about it anyway.

phill4paul
10-20-2017, 08:02 PM
The vast majority didn't support either candidate, but I seem to recall a few more folks who supported Obama over McCain than McCain over Obama. I was in the "neither" camp but I was sorta leaning toward hoping Obama won just to show conservatives how stupid they were for supporting the war in Iraq.. but I also had a pretty strong feeling Obama wasn't going to do much about it anyway.

I honestly don't remember a single member advocating for Obama. Ever.

dannno
10-20-2017, 08:04 PM
I honestly don't remember a single member advocating for Obama. Ever.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?143383-Poll-Obama-or-McCain

phill4paul
10-20-2017, 08:09 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?143383-Poll-Obama-or-McCain

Well that certainly was a brawlfest before being consigned to the dustbins. Lol.

FSP-Rebel
10-20-2017, 08:23 PM

anaconda
10-20-2017, 08:28 PM
Does anybody actually believe this $#@!?

How is this being spun as a negative? Sounds to me like Trump was affirming the soldiers courage and resolve for knowingly committing to dangerous duty.

Swordsmyth
10-20-2017, 08:30 PM
How is this being spun as a negative? Sounds to me like Trump was affirming the soldiers courage and resolve for knowingly committing to dangerous duty.

Say it to yourself with a sneering voice, the voice Dem minority losers apply as a filter to anything a white man says.

AZJoe
10-21-2017, 04:52 AM
Dying for Deep State's Empire is Not Heroic (https://www.libertarianinstitute.org/daily-featured-articles/tgif-dying-for-the-empire-is-not-heroic/)

Predictably, the news media spent most of the week examining words Donald Trump may or may not have spoken to the widow ...Not only was this coverage tedious, it was largely pointless. We know Trump is a clumsy boor, and we also know that lots of people are ready to pounce on him for any sort of gaffe, real or imagined. Who cares? It’s not news. ... useful ... to distract Americans from ... the U.S. government’s perpetual war.

The media’s efforts should have been devoted to exploring — really exploring — why Green Berets (and drones) are in Niger at all. ... That subject is apparently of little interest to media companies that see themselves merely as cheerleaders for the American Empire. ...

Apparently the American people also must be shielded from anyone who might point out that the jihadist activity in Niger and neighboring Mali is directly related to the U.S. and NATO bombing of Libya, which enabled al-Qaeda and other Muslim militants to overthrow the secular regime of Col. Muammar Qaddafi. That Obama-Clinton operation in 2011, besides producing Qaddafi’s grisly murder and turning Libya into a nightmare, facilitated the transfer of weapons and fanatical guerrillas from Libya to nearby countries in the Sahel — as well as Syria. ... the U.S. government has been helping the French to “stabilize” its former colony Mali with surveillance drones and Green Berets based in Niger. ... the U.S./NATO regime-change operation in Libya was based on a lie (https://www.salon.com/2016/09/16/u-k-parliament-report-details-how-natos-2011-war-in-libya-was-based-on-lies/)? ...

So the media ... have decided the people need not hear the truth behind the events in Niger. Instead, “reporters” and “analysts” perform their role as cheerleaders for the American Empire by declaring the dead men “heroes” and focusing on the tragedy that has befallen their families. Public scrutiny of the military operation is discouraged ...

What makes them heroes? They were killed by non-Americans in a foreign land while wearing military uniforms. That’s all it takes ...

First, their “country,” if by this term we mean the American people, did not call them to “service,” which itself a question-begging word. The source of the call was a collection of politicians and bureaucrats ...

Second, U.S. intervention in the Muslim world, which predates 9/11 and the creation of al-Qaeda and ISIS, has not made Americans safe. On the contrary, it has put them at risk ...

Dying (and killing) for the Empire is not heroic. Allowing yourself to be ordered to intervene in distant conflicts you surely don’t understand is not worthy of admiration. What’s heroic is resisting the Empire.

Anyone who thought Trump would bring the troops back should now know better. ...

Ender
10-21-2017, 06:22 AM
Dying for Deep State's Empire is Not Heroic (https://www.libertarianinstitute.org/daily-featured-articles/tgif-dying-for-the-empire-is-not-heroic/)

Predictably, the news media spent most of the week examining words Donald Trump may or may not have spoken to the widow ...Not only was this coverage tedious, it was largely pointless. We know Trump is a clumsy boor, and we also know that lots of people are ready to pounce on him for any sort of gaffe, real or imagined. Who cares? It’s not news. ... useful ... to distract Americans from ... the U.S. government’s perpetual war.

The media’s efforts should have been devoted to exploring — really exploring — why Green Berets (and drones) are in Niger at all. ... That subject is apparently of little interest to media companies that see themselves merely as cheerleaders for the American Empire. ...

Apparently the American people also must be shielded from anyone who might point out that the jihadist activity in Niger and neighboring Mali is directly related to the U.S. and NATO bombing of Libya, which enabled al-Qaeda and other Muslim militants to overthrow the secular regime of Col. Muammar Qaddafi. That Obama-Clinton operation in 2011, besides producing Qaddafi’s grisly murder and turning Libya into a nightmare, facilitated the transfer of weapons and fanatical guerrillas from Libya to nearby countries in the Sahel — as well as Syria. ... the U.S. government has been helping the French to “stabilize” its former colony Mali with surveillance drones and Green Berets based in Niger. ... the U.S./NATO regime-change operation in Libya was based on a lie (https://www.salon.com/2016/09/16/u-k-parliament-report-details-how-natos-2011-war-in-libya-was-based-on-lies/)? ...

So the media ... have decided the people need not hear the truth behind the events in Niger. Instead, “reporters” and “analysts” perform their role as cheerleaders for the American Empire by declaring the dead men “heroes” and focusing on the tragedy that has befallen their families. Public scrutiny of the military operation is discouraged ...

What makes them heroes? They were killed by non-Americans in a foreign land while wearing military uniforms. That’s all it takes ...

First, their “country,” if by this term we mean the American people, did not call them to “service,” which itself a question-begging word. The source of the call was a collection of politicians and bureaucrats ...

Second, U.S. intervention in the Muslim world, which predates 9/11 and the creation of al-Qaeda and ISIS, has not made Americans safe. On the contrary, it has put them at risk ...

Dying (and killing) for the Empire is not heroic. Allowing yourself to be ordered to intervene in distant conflicts you surely don’t understand is not worthy of admiration. What’s heroic is resisting the Empire.

Anyone who thought Trump would bring the troops back should now know better. ...

^^THIS^^

enhanced_deficit
10-21-2017, 07:02 AM

Neither media nor Trump would want such questions to be raised, hence both sides willingly participating and amplifying such manufactured distraction noise that is being presented as "news". Mainstream Dems, architects of Libya fiasco & neocons puppets Obama/Hillary or disgraced AIPAC tool Frederica Wilson also do not want these questions to be discussed. Concerns for minorities rights for all of the entities/politicians just cited is akin to Harvey Weinstein's concern for women's rights. It's a sham for political gians or other objectives.

Just heard born-again war-monger (does not really matter if he was born this way or not) Lindsey Graham's statement flashed in news wjere he was saying that our next war is going to be in Africa because we do not want next 9/11 to come from Africa now that mideast has been managed.

When will we see questions asked in media if all senators like LG from States with wars based economy are in fact agents of wars?

angelatc
10-21-2017, 08:51 AM

There wasn't any overt Obama thumping that I recall but I can immediately name 2 formerly high profile members right off the top of my head that said they were voting for Obama over McCain. I'm still FB friends with them and to this day that's one of the top 2 thoughts that enter my head when I see them post .

There were probably a lot more because there were a lot of young left-leaners here simply because they were actively anti-war. When Paul ended his campaign they had two choices: A known warmonger or "Change."

I think most of us wrote in Ron Paul but out of those who didn't I think Obama got more votes than McCain.

nikcers
10-21-2017, 09:12 AM
A known warmonger or "Change."
2008 was known warmonger vs *change* and 2016 was known warmonger vs *wildcard*. I don't blame the people for wanting to vote for the best option available, I think a lot of things would be fixed if we just had more available options then the democrat and republican monopoly.

Valli6
10-25-2017, 11:31 AM
None other than, Rep Frederica S. Wilson - along with her co-sponors, the entire Congressional Black Caucus.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/3833/cosponsors

H.R.3833 — 114th Congress (2015-2016) To require a regional strategy to address the threat posed by Boko Haram.

Summary:

This bill requires:

the Department of State and the Department of Defense to develop jointly and submit to Congress a five-year strategy to help Nigeria, members of the Multinational Joint Task Force to Combat Boko Haram, and relevant partners to counter Boko Haram, and to assist Nigeria and its neighbors to address legitimate grievances of vulnerable populations in areas affected by Boko Haram; and

the Director of National Intelligence to assess the willingness and capability Nigeria and regional partners to implement such strategy.

It is the sense of Congress that lack of economic opportunity and access to education, justice, and other social services contributes to Boko Haram's ability to radicalize and recruit individuals.