PDA

View Full Version : California Can Now Jail People For Misusing Gender Pronouns

phill4paul
10-08-2017, 03:54 PM
Bill applies to those that work in nursing homes....

California can now start jailing people that refuse to use the preferred gender pronouns of nursing home residents after Democratic Gov. Jerry Brown signed the bill Thursday.

The law’s effect is limited to nursing homes and other long-term care facilities, but mandates that those who “willfully and repeatedly” refuse “to use a transgender resident’s preferred name or pronouns” can be slapped with a $1,000 fine and up to one year in prison, according to the California Heath and Safety code.

Known as the “LGBT Senior Bill Of Rights,” the legislation also requires nursing homes and care facilities to allow residents to use the bathroom of their choice, regardless of biological sex. The bill’s author, state Sen. Scott Weiner, argues that religious views don’t hold weight in public areas.

“Everyone is entitled to their religious view,” Wiener said. “But when you enter the public space, when you are running an institution, you are in a workplace, you are in a civil setting, and you have to follow the law.”

http://dailycaller.com/2017/10/06/california-can-now-jail-people-for-misusing-gender-pronouns/?utm_source=site-share

fedupinmo
10-08-2017, 04:08 PM
What if the resident forgets they made the change and some poor nurse gets nailed for going with yesterday's gender? :D

Zippyjuan
10-08-2017, 04:15 PM
http://www.politifact.com/california/article/2017/sep/26/claims-mislead-about-california-bill-forcing-jail-/

"The bill is very, very clear that what is prohibited is the willful engagement and repeated engagement in discriminatory conduct against LGBT seniors. So, if someone makes a mistake or doesn’t know what a person’s gender identity is and uses the incorrect pronoun that is not a violation of the statute," Joslin said.

Willful and repeated violations alone wouldn’t lead to criminal prosecution, Joslin added. They would likely be punished with a fine.

Criminal charges would only follow, she said, if the violation reached a level that was shown to cause the risk of death or serious physical harm, in accordance with state’s existing penalty structure for health and safety code violations at long-term care centers.

Wiener has said purposefully using the wrong pronoun would be treated the same way as someone who violates a center’s smoking ban. It would be considered a minor violation but "no one is going to jail for that."

Facilities that fail to comply would most likely get a notice of violation, akin to "a parking ticket," the senator said in an interview with PolitiFact California. He added that the provisions apply only to care facility staff, not to residents.

Still a silly bill.

donnay
10-08-2017, 04:22 PM
Leave it to Californication to have full blown tyranny.

How about this lovely bill:
California Lowers the Penalty for Knowingly Exposing Someone to HIV
http://time.com/4973588/california-lowers-the-penalty-for-knowingly-exposing-someone-to-hiv/

Dr.3D
10-08-2017, 04:25 PM
So now they want people to assume gender? :confused:

Zippyjuan
10-08-2017, 04:28 PM

http://time.com/4973588/california-lowers-the-penalty-for-knowingly-exposing-someone-to-hiv/

Less tyranny- it lowers the penalty from being a felony to a misdemeanor.

The law previously punished people who knowingly exposed or infected others with HIV by up to eight years in prison. This new legislation will lower jail time to a maximum of six months.

The new law also reduces the penalty for knowingly donating HIV-infected blood from a felony to a misdemeanor.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/07/health/california-hiv-bill-signed/index.html

phill4paul
10-08-2017, 04:33 PM
http://www.politifact.com/california/article/2017/sep/26/claims-mislead-about-california-bill-forcing-jail-/

Still a silly bill.

I love when the actual law says that the penalty can include jail time, but supporters say that it probably won't. :rolleyes:

sparebulb
10-08-2017, 04:40 PM
I'm waiting for our usual resident thinkamaticians to make the libertarian case in support of this law.

And the AIDS in the butt law also.

goldenequity
10-08-2017, 04:42 PM
ICE Chief Says He Has "No Choice" But To Enforce Immigration Laws In California
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-10-08/ice-chief-says-he-has-no-choice-enforce-immigration-laws-california

Under the measure, ICE agents would no longer be allowed to go into jails to deport undocumented prisoners,
and they’d have restricted access to state databases.
Meanwhile, jail officials would be allowed to transfer inmates to federal immigration authorities only
if they have been convicted of certain crimes.

MAGNET

Homan cautioned the bill helped protect illegal immigrants from deportation and made the state a “magnet."

"Ultimately, SB54 helps shield removable aliens from immigration enforcement and creates another magnet for more illegal immigration,
all at the expense of the safety and security of the very people it purports to protect," Homan warned.

TARGETING SANCTUARIES

Federal authorities have stepped up enforcement in jurisdictions that have refused to cooperate with them.
Last month, “Operation Safe City” specifically targeted
some of the fiercest opponents of President Trump’s immigration policies,
including New York, Los Angeles, Baltimore, and Washington.
By the end, nearly 500 undocumented immigrants had been rounded up.

BOTTLENECK

To be sure, the divisiveness of Trump’s immigration rhetoric has emboldened pro-immigration activists,
who’re pouring resources into pro-bono legal funds to fight deportation efforts,
creating a massive backlog of deportation cases in the federal court system.
According to the Washington Post, there are now 600,000 backlogged cases,
which has caused the number of deportations to drop,
even as apprehensions have risen.

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user245717/imageroot/2017/10/04/2017.10.08deprtations_0.JPG

'NEW' ILLEGALS

Meanwhile, would-be migrants are taking Trump’s warnings seriously.
Data show that the number of people attempting to sneak across the US border with Mexico
fell dramatically in the months following Trump’s inauguration,
reducing the supply of easy-to-deport immigrants
and making the types of urban raids that have become commonplace under Trump increasingly necessary.

=========

(warning: this could be a Breitbart 'clikbait' title.. not clear 2 me that these are just 'proposals' or ACTUAL bills signed into law.) :confused:

Jerry Brown Forbids Landlords from Cooperating with ICE to Deport Illegal Aliens
http://www.breitbart.com/california/2017/10/06/new-law-forbids-california-landlords-from-cooperating-with-ice/

....making it illegal for landlords to report a tenant’s immigration status to Immigrations Customs Enforcement (ICE)....

....would bar landlords from disclosing information about immigration status in order to intimidate, harass or evict tenants without following proper procedures.

It also would allow immigrant tenants to file civil claims against their landlords if they do.

....would ensure that no state office or entity in California could compel a landlord to obtain and disclose information on a tenant’s immigration status.

euphemia
10-08-2017, 04:56 PM
This is when the medical community begins to refer to everyone as "The Patient." That would probably discriminate against the ill, but there you go. Or "The Resident" would do.

anaconda
10-08-2017, 05:25 PM
This is when the medical community begins to refer to everyone as "The Patient." That would probably discriminate against the ill, but there you go. Or "The Resident" would do.

What about a new protected medical status for people who are emotionally traumatized by political correctness?

Pauls' Revere
10-08-2017, 05:31 PM

Still a silly bill.

How does the misuse of a pronoun risk death or injury?????? HUH? :confused:

tod evans
10-08-2017, 05:40 PM
How 'bout the term "Asshole"?

Misuse that you buncha pansy's.

euphemia
10-08-2017, 05:47 PM
It's a stupid bill. As the fat little grandma of the bunch, let me tell you what this is all about: This is about de-personalizing society for fear of government. Eventually we will be down to numbers, maybe SS#s, which would be the equivalent of a prison number. Or a concentration camp number.

The attempt to normalize perverted behavior is going to dehumanize all of us. Pretty soon it will be politically incorrect to introduce myself as Mrs. Euphemia, or a grandmother, or a mother, or a woman. Or we will have to say we "self identify" as a man or woman, and that would be taking away parts of our identities.

juleswin
10-08-2017, 05:54 PM
This is not going to help my popularity on this site but I am guessing this came about because someone complained about some as*hole at work who just doesn't know he cannot be his own man at work. They probably complained and the state acted and crafted a bill that is specifically written for that particular event. It was written in such a way that there can be no ambiguity or mistake that the person being targeted is one a repeat offender and two someone who disrespects his customers.

I would prefer the offender be fired way before it reaches the point of fine and/or jail time.

Also I bet if you look, this rule only applies to nursing homes that participates in medicare/medicaid programs(99.9% of nursing homes). So you can still have your private nursing home where you are free to disrespect your residents :D

Lamp
10-08-2017, 05:56 PM
State of Jefferson anyone?

euphemia
10-08-2017, 06:19 PM
This is not going to help my popularity on this site but I am guessing this came about because someone complained about some as*hole at work who just doesn't know he cannot be his own man at work.

And I don't think it was about patients or patient care, but rather another HR rule. An employee complained about the prounoun use of another employee.

donnay
10-08-2017, 07:06 PM

To KNOWINGLY give someone HIV gets you the equivalent to a parking ticket. If you think that is okay, then I am at a loss for you Zip. SMDH.

phill4paul
10-08-2017, 07:11 PM
To KNOWINGLY give someone HIV gets you the equivalent to a parking ticket. If you think that is okay, then I am at a loss for you Zip. SMDH.

As long is putting one in their brain pan is only a misdemeanor I'm good with it.

specsaregood
10-08-2017, 07:17 PM
DW said, "damn, all those Filipino nurses are screwed."

https://ph.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081002094927AApUS6l
I guess there is no equivalent to he/she in their native tongue and they just pick one at random all the time.

donnay
10-08-2017, 07:19 PM
As long is putting one in their brain pan is only a misdemeanor I'm good with it.

Are you good with it that these people will donate blood? Do you remember the Arkansas Prison Blood Scandal?

phill4paul
10-08-2017, 07:22 PM
Are you good with it that these people will donate blood? Do you remember the Arkansas Prison Blood Scandal?

No, I'm not fine with it. Which is why I would be good with making it a misemeanor for shooting them in the head if they knowingly pass on their disease.

sparebulb
10-08-2017, 07:30 PM
No, I'm not fine with it. Which is why I would be good with making it a misemeanor for shooting them in the head if they knowingly pass on their disease.

The splatter would definitely be biohazard.

There must be some universal precaution for this task.

donnay
10-08-2017, 07:33 PM

My apologies I misunderstood what you wrote.

juleswin
10-08-2017, 07:39 PM

I am all for lowering punishment on victim-less crimes but this is not a victim-less crime, people's lives are going to be destroyed by this crime. If anything, increase the penalty not reduce it. Maybe have an exemption where the victims can ask for a reduced sentence if they want.

Where are the victim groups when you need em

Swordsmyth
10-09-2017, 01:06 AM
I am all for lowering punishment on victim-less crimes but this is not a victim-less crime, people's lives are going to be destroyed by this crime. If anything, increase the penalty not reduce it. Maybe have an exemption where the victims can ask for a reduced sentence if they want.

Where are the victim groups when you need em

But the Pervs with HIV ARE the victims, don't you understand?:rolleyes:

GunnyFreedom
10-09-2017, 01:34 AM
I love when the actual law says that the penalty can include jail time, but supporters say that it probably won't. :rolleyes:

Because the government will never actually prosecute to the full extent of the law. That's just not what happens in the Land of the Free. :p

dannno
10-09-2017, 02:13 AM

Wow, so according to your logic, if the penalty for murder was reduced to a week in prison that would be less "tyranny" ??

LibertyEagle
10-09-2017, 04:04 AM

Soon, it will be illegal to discriminate against them from donating blood. It might hurt their little feelers and all.

Danke
10-09-2017, 04:08 AM

The new law will also include those who donate blood without disclosing their HIV status to the blood bank, the LA Times noted. (http://www.latimes.com/politics/essential/la-pol-ca-essential-politics-updates-gov-brown-downgrades-from-felony-to-1507331544-htmlstory.html)

FFS.

oyarde
10-09-2017, 07:37 AM
We cannot accept Californians here in my HIV free empire .

oyarde
10-09-2017, 07:39 AM
I guess nursing homes in California will just refer to people as Patient Smith, Jones , Doe etc or last four , 0000 .

shakey1
10-09-2017, 07:46 AM
This shit just gets weirder all the time.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6f/6e/ae/6f6eae5bd6fa22f86f3d430b1a2b25cc.jpg

juleswin
10-09-2017, 07:57 AM
I guess nursing homes in California will just refer to people as Patient Smith, Jones , Doe etc or last four , 0000 .

You do know it is infinitely much harder to call someone by their ssn number than to just call them by their preferred pronoun?

oyarde
10-09-2017, 08:00 AM
You do know it is infinitely much harder to call someone by their ssn number than to just call them by their preferred pronoun?

Not really and there us no penalty if you get it wrong . Inmate 0000 has no recourse and will do as told .

phill4paul
10-09-2017, 08:03 AM

Mondays from 1am to 4pm I identify as a male. From 4:01pm- 6:40pm I identify as a female. From 6:41pm on Monday until 1:04am Tuesday I identify as non-binary so please refer to me as they/their. Except between 6:55pm until 8:55PM ewhen I prefer to be called Mr. and Mrs. as I have married myself. :rolleyes:

juleswin
10-09-2017, 08:20 AM
Mondays from 1am to 4pm I identify as a male. From 4:01pm- 6:40pm I identify as a female. From 6:41pm on Monday until 1:04am Tuesday I identify as non-binary so please refer to me as they/their. Except between 6:55pm until 8:55PM ewhen I prefer to be called Mr. and Mrs. as I have married myself. :rolleyes:

Come on now, you are a smart guy. Your scenario is unreasonable and I am sure you know this is not what anyone is talking about but say a manly looking man changed his gender to female and decided that he wants the nursing home staff to referring to him as a her. It would be infinitely easier to do that than to do it with his last 4 SSN.

This is what I am saying and I believe this is what the legislators were trying to do with this very narrow and specific bill. Personally, I would prefer the offending employee be fired before anyone got the law involved. But hey, the offending employee can still quit if he cannot handle the very difficult task of referring to his paying customers by their preferred pronoun.

phill4paul
10-09-2017, 08:27 AM
Come on now, you are a smart guy. Your scenario is unreasonable and I am sure you know this is not what anyone is talking about but say a manly looking man changed his gender to female and decided that he wants the nursing home staff to referring to him as a her. It would be infinitely easier to do that than to do it with his last 4 SSN.

This is what I am saying and I believe this is what the legislators were trying to do with this very narrow and specific bill. Personally, I would prefer the offending employee be fired before anyone got the law involved. But hey, the offending employee can still quit if he cannot handle the very difficult task of referring to his paying customers by their preferred pronoun.

Why is my scenario unreasonable? Sexual identity is defined as how one see's themselves. Not how others view them. Therefore, I can take on as many identities as I wish depending on the time of day or day of the week. Or just my particular mood swing. And you just need to accept that, because I have rights!

euphemia
10-09-2017, 08:29 AM
Soon, it will be illegal to discriminate against them from donating blood. It might hurt their little feelers and all.

Lance Bass threw a fit about the Red Cross because they would not accept gays as blood donors after the LV massacre.

juleswin
10-09-2017, 08:37 AM
Why is my scenario unreasonable? Sexual identity is defined as how one see's themselves. Not how others view them. Therefore, I can take on as many identities as I wish depending on the time of day or day of the week. Or just my particular mood swing. And you just need to accept that, because I have rights!

I used to work in a nursing home and we were told to essentially grant the residents reasonable requests. Well, one guy that was a 2 assist would request to get on his recliner and then after 30 mins, he would call again and ask us to put him in bed. Well, we put him on the bed and then he called yet again to be put back on his recliner. The second request was considered unreasonable and nobody touched him.

You can easily tell when a request in unreasonable.

I would also believe that it takes more than a few days to change the gender ID on a patients medical record. My believe is that this would only apply to the gender in his/her medical record. Wish someone can post the official wording of the bill and I bet it is more reasonable than what most people here have in mind.

phill4paul
10-09-2017, 08:53 AM
I used to work in a nursing home and we were told to essentially grant the residents reasonable requests. Well, one guy that was a 2 assist would request to get on his recliner and then after 30 mins, he would call again and ask us to put him in bed. Well, we put him on the bed and then he called yet again to be put back on his recliner. The second request was considered unreasonable and nobody touched him.

You can easily tell when a request in unreasonable.

I would also believe that it takes more than a few days to change the gender ID on a patients medical record. My believe is that this would only apply to the gender in his/her medical record. Wish someone can post the official wording of the bill and I bet it is more reasonable than what most people here have in mind.

Well, gee, there is a link in the OP article. Let me help you out....

willfully and repeatedly failing to use a resident’s preferred name or pronouns after being clearly informed of the preferred name or pronouns,

(b) “Gender identity” means a person’s identity based on the individual’s stated gender identity, without regard to whether the self-identified gender accords with the individual’s physical appearance, surgical history, genitalia, legal sex, sex assigned at birth, or name and sex, as it appears in medical records, and without regard to any contrary statement by any other person, including a family member, conservator, or legal representative.

I don't need no stinking papers....

(4) Prohibit a resident from using, or harass a resident who seeks to use or does use, a restroom available to other persons of the same gender identity, regardless of whether the resident is making a gender transition or appears to be gender-nonconforming. Harassment includes, but is not limited to, requiring a resident to show identity documents in order to gain entrance to a restroom available to other persons of the same gender identity.

Oh, and since I'm female today I would like to be moved to another room....

(3) Where rooms are assigned by gender, assigning, reassigning, or refusing to assign a room to a transgender resident other than in accordance with the transgender resident’s gender identity, unless at the transgender resident’s request.

Of course, tomorrow I might identify as male so better keep that bed open for me.

anaconda
10-10-2017, 12:09 AM
State of Jefferson anyone?

The gubanatorial jet could be called The Jefferson Airplane.