PDA

View Full Version : Three Green Berets killed, two wounded in Niger ambush

Right Wing
10-04-2017, 11:39 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/10/04/three-green-berets-killed-two-wounded-in-niger-ambush.html

What are U.S. forces doing in Niger?

timosman
10-05-2017, 12:15 AM

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?505521-quot-Bring-Back-Our-Girls-quot-Aleppo-Girl-Appeals-to-Michelle-Obama-for-Help

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BnMUinrIQAEaBbL.jpg

oyarde
10-05-2017, 07:45 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/10/04/three-green-berets-killed-two-wounded-in-niger-ambush.html

Looking for Juleswin .

Origanalist
10-05-2017, 07:49 AM

It's our planet isn't it? Better question is what are Nigerien's doing in Niger? They must be up to no good.

timosman
10-05-2017, 07:51 AM
It's our planet isn't it? Better question is what are Nigerien's doing in Niger? They must be up to no good.

Nothing our military couldn't rectify.:cool:

Raginfridus
10-05-2017, 08:42 AM
It's our planet isn't it? Better question is what are Nigerien's doing in Niger? They must be up to no good.Wasn't Nigeria the freeman colony Lincoln and Johnson made?

Baws Obomba drived dem niggas hawd, cos they'd rebel agin da bawses Big Bush, Clit'n, an Li'l Bush. We's disurve all da hell fo been bad. Jus like da good book and marse sed so.

Origanalist
10-05-2017, 08:45 AM
Wasn't Nigeria the freeman colony Lincoln and Johnson made?

Baws Obomba drived dem niggas hawd, cos they'd rebel agin da bawses Big Bush, Clit'n, an Li'l Bush.

I think that was Liberia, and this is Niger...:)

Origanalist
10-05-2017, 08:46 AM
Nothing our military couldn't rectify.:cool:

I'm sure they're jusy checking to make sure everyone has the proper boating and fishing permits.

Raginfridus
10-05-2017, 08:47 AM
I think that was Liberia, and this is Niger...:)I wonder if Nigerians and Liberians know the difference...

Origanalist
10-05-2017, 08:50 AM
I wonder if Nigerians and Liberians know the difference...

If they don't their gubments damn sure gonna teach em.

specsaregood
10-05-2017, 08:51 AM
I wonder if Nigerians and Liberians know the difference...

I'm pretty sure they do, the Nigerians probably don't have a equivalent to General Butt Naked (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Butt_Naked)

Raginfridus
10-05-2017, 09:17 AM
I'm pretty sure they do, the Nigerians probably don't have a equivalent to General Butt Naked (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Butt_Naked)What a relief. Though if "our" girls are all dead or rescued, and we've settled Nigerians don't need geography lessons, what are the men who trained Ho Chi Minh how to fight doing over there?

I suppose we're training them to hate modernization. :P

undergroundrr
10-21-2017, 11:32 AM
Is this an accurate account? From somebody named Karen Chickering. Worse than Benghazi?

While everyone is so busy talking about the president's handling of his call to the widow of the soldier killed in Niger, you're all missing the important part of that story -- the part about what happened that night in Niger.
The story that is emerging is so much worse than anything that happened in Benghazi, but the same GOP Congress that investigated Benghazi with a fury seems to have little or no interest in this story.
Here's what we know so far:
These soldiers went to a meeting in an area near the border with Mali. This is a well known hot spot for ISIS activity.
Our soldiers were not backed up by US Military air support. No, they were backed up by the French, who were not authorized to intervene or even fire a shot.
Our soldiers did not have armored vehicles. They traveled in pickup trucks.
Our soldiers were given faulty intel that said "it was unlikely that they would meet any hostile forces."
Of course, they walked into an ISIS ambush. It was chaotic and they took three casualties.
It took the French 30 minutes to arrive. When they did, they were not authorized to help. So, a dozen of our Green Berets fought a battle with more than 50 ISIS fighters, without help, for 30 minutes.
Finally, a rescue helicopter arrived, but it was not a US military helicopter. No, we apparently outsourced that job to “private contractors.” So, these contractors landed and loaded the remaining troops, the injured and the dead.
Here's where this gets really bad, because they were not military, they never did a head count. That is how Sgt. La David Johnson was left behind.
That's right. They left him behind.
According to the Pentagon, his locator beacon was activated on the battlefield, which indicates that he was alive when they left him there.
They recovered his body 48 hours later, but are refusing to say where. According to his widow, she was told that she could not have an open casket funeral. This indicates that he was mutilated after being left behind on the battlefield.
This is what led to the nonsense we're obsessing over. This is the real story. As usual, you're allowing it to be about Trump's distraction, but this is Benghazi on steroids.
The Trump Pentagon gave these men bad intel, no support, outsourced rescue people and then tried for more than a week to pretend it never happened.

enhanced_deficit
10-21-2017, 11:36 AM

During last week, unfortunately I got all of my news from MSM and can only provide detailed analysis of Trump's phone call to the family of one of the soldiers.
Pretty ignorant otherwise to answer your question.

Zippyjuan
10-25-2017, 04:32 PM
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/trump-says-he-did-not-specifically-order-niger-mission-n814361

Trump Says He Did Not ‘Specifically’ Order Niger Mission

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump said Wednesday he did not "specifically" order the military mission in Niger this month that left four American soldiers dead.

The commander in chief told reporters on the South Lawn of the White House before he departed for Texas that he had given his generals that authority.

When asked if he had authorized the mission, Trump said: "No, I didn't. Not specifically."

"I have generals — they are great generals," the president added. "I gave them the authority to do what's right so that we win. That's the authority they have. I want to win and we're going to win, and we're beating ISIS very badly."

There are still many unanswered questions about the Niger ambush, which remains under investigation.

"We owe you more information," Marine Corps Gen. Joseph Dunford, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told reporters this week. "More importantly, we owe the families of the fallen more information."

Questions also remain about the operation's planning, why it took so long to recover one of the bodies, and whether the U.S. had sufficient intelligence and equipment for the operation.

NBC News has also learned of an emerging theory that the Army Special Forces soldiers ambushed in Niger on October 4 may have been set up by terrorists, who were tipped off about a meeting in a village sympathetic to local ISIS affiliates.

timosman
05-11-2018, 10:39 AM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2018/05/11/the-pentagon-answered-some-questions-about-the-niger-ambush-many-more-remain/

May 11

The Pentagon released a slim, eight-page executive summary of a larger report detailing the disastrous Special Operations mission in Niger that left four U.S. soldiers dead on Oct. 4.

New information, such as how Sgt. La David Johnson fought off Islamic State-linked militants until his death and how long responding units took to arrive, has answered some lingering questions about the ill-fated mission.

But in the absence of the full 180-page report — which officials have said must be carefully reviewed and redacted before it is publicly released — many other questions and concerns are unaddressed.

How did the enemy gather in such a large group and remain undetected?

The summary and official remarks Thursday did not shed much light on a major issue: how roughly 100 militants were able to mass, plan and coordinate a complex assault with rocket-propelled grenades, machine guns and trucks with mounted heavy weapons.

That kind of activity would have created dust clouds as pickup trucks and motorcycles with roaring engines crisscrossed the shrub land. Militants at one point set up in a wooded area near the road to attack from multiple angles, as the team grasped that the attack was much larger than they first anticipated.

Some members of the 11-man team had left the ambush site, unaware three soldiers were left behind 700 meters away. They also came under heavy fire in their position, indicating enough enemy forces effectively coordinated to break off and pursue the second group of soldiers.

Killed in the battle were Staff Sgt. Jeremiah W. Johnson, 39; Staff Sgt. Bryan C. Black, 35; Staff Sgt. Dustin M. Wright, 29; and Johnson, 25. Black and Wright were Special Forces soldiers, while both Johnsons were conventional soldiers assigned to the same 3rd Special Forces Group team.

Why did the commander pull surveillance aircraft away?

Marine Gen. Thomas D. Waldhauser, the chief of U.S. Africa Command, revealed a key detail about the surveillance posture.

Operational Detachment-Alpha Team 3212 commander Capt. Michael Perozeni directed a surveillance aircraft to head north of their position and monitor “crossing points” at the Mali border after they reached their objective the night before the ambush, and believed enemy forces were not in the immediate area.

But Waldhauser did not explain why the aircraft was diverted. That aircraft may have helped spot consolidating enemy forces or other activity that would have warned about an imminent attack.

It is possible Perozeni was concerned enemy troops would mass in Mali and head to their position, but officials did not elaborate.

How did senior commanders respond during the attack?

The patrol on Oct. 3 was initially filed as a routine reconnaissance mission near Mali’s border by Perozeni and another Army captain planning it. No one higher in the chain of command was “aware of the true nature of the mission,” which was actually designed to pursue a high-value target, according to the Pentagon summary.

Yet after they came up short and left to return to their base, the battalion commander overseeing those forces, based in Chad, ordered the team to pursue a target on recent intelligence showing he was at a camp.