PDA

View Full Version : Official email from the Libertarian Party concerning Ron Paul running on their ticket

PrimarilyPaul
12-11-2007, 12:25 PM
December 11, 2007

FROM THE LIBERTARIAN PARTY:

Dear Libertarian,

Throughout the year, as you could imagine, questions about Ron Paul have been non-stop. Both our members and the media swamp every line of communication available.

While reporters generally dance around the issues, looking for a salacious story about Congressman Paul, our members get right to the point:

"What are you doing to support Ron Paul?"
"Why haven't you endorsed Ron Paul?"
"Why are you avoiding Ron Paul?"
"Why isn't...?
"Why is...?
"Why don't...?"
"Why won't…?"
"...Support Ron Paul!"

Trust me, in our small Watergate office, the words "Ron Paul" echo throughout the hallways all day, every day, as we respond to the many questions posed by passionate Libertarians who call, e-mail, mail and visit our office.

If you think about it, this appears to put us in a tough position. We're the Libertarian Party, and Ron Paul is seeking the Republican presidential nomination. It's not our issue, right?

A party loyalist would not dare say something positive about a member of another party...right? Blind partisan loyalty is why Republicans and Democrats are so powerful...right?

No!

Partisanship is why they are corrupt. The Republican and Democratic parties exist to maintain their own power...that's about it.

We exist for liberty.

With integrity in our lives and in our organization, Libertarians have fought with long odds for more than three decades. We battle Republicans and Democrats who betray our principles of peace and freedom.

But now, we have a man of principle who is igniting a fire of liberty across the nation and, go figure, he has an "R" next to his name. So, what do we do? To some, this appears to be a black-or-white issue with only two options:

Do we stubbornly stand by and pretend Ron Paul does not exist?

Or . . .

Do we throw out 36 years of work, violate our own bylaws and principles, and convert to the Republican Party and join Dr. Paul?

Both of those are obviously horrible non-options.

What we can do is show respect for our Party's history, bylaws and members while making an effort to recognize the revolution that's taking place around the country.

Over this past weekend in Charleston, South Carolina, the members of the Libertarian National Committee (LNC) did just that.

It would be inappropriate and a clear violation of our bylaws for the LNC to simply "nominate" Ron Paul for the Libertarian ticket as many of his supporters have requested. That's not a decision for the LNC to make--that's the duty of Libertarian delegates at our National Convention.

What the LNC can do is attempt to "recruit" a presidential candidate, and while in Charleston, the LNC unanimously passed a resolution that states the following:

WHEREAS, the Libertarian National Committee encourages competition in the race for the Libertarian Party’s presidential nomination and is appreciative of all candidates who make the commitment to run;

NOW THEREFORE, in the event that Republican primary voters select a candidate other than Congressman Paul in February of 2008, the Libertarian National Committee urges Congressman Ron Paul to seek the presidential nomination of the Libertarian Party to be decided in Denver, Colorado during Memorial Day weekend of 2008.
I encourage you to read the full resolution by clicking here. (http://announce.lp.org/t/3036/105034/59/0/)

The LNC has made a respectful gesture and it's up to the good Congressman to accept or decline when he chooses to do so. And just so you know, so far, the response from Dr. Paul's campaign has been the standard: "We have no intention to seek the nomination of a third party."

Additionally, the LNC voted to allow me to pursue an effort that will allow Ron Paul supporters to contact voters in the upcoming New Hampshire Republican primary to tell them about Dr. Paul.

They will be able to do this through our resource, www.BallotBase.org, which is essentially a decentralized call center. From the comfort of your own home, you can use the system to call voters on behalf of a candidate. It's easy to use and can be incredibly effective.

In order to use Ballot Base, you have to register by providing us with your name, address, verified e-mail, etc. and then you can start calling within minutes.

Now, I need you to know that these are very controversial decisions and there are some people who are very upset.

A few are upset that we've invited Dr. Paul into our presidential race, while others are up-in-arms that we've used LNC resources to benefit a Republican. At first glance, they have an argument, so let me take a minute to FULLY DISCLOSE what this is about, how it works and what we're possibly giving up and gaining.

We plan to use the Ballot Base to affect a Republican primary. To do so, we give up the following:
The use of a server that is not even moderately used during the political off-season.
An independent expenditure of $2,120 to purchase the New Hampshire voter files of registered Republicans.
Moderate use of staff time.
Now, here's what we possibly have to gain:
We make it possible to influence a Republican primary race in the favor of liberty...just as we have done in the past with other primary races.
We gain the ability to build a lasting relationship with a large group of pro-liberty activists.
Most importantly, through the Ballot Base registration process, we are able to reach out to many thousands of people who share many common values with the LP. Hopefully, one day down the road, as we continue to build our relationship, they will take the bold step of joining the Libertarian Party or supporting our efforts.
So, for a few thousand dollars, use of a server and some of our time, we are able to create a network of communication with what I hope will be thousands of hard-working and passionate lovers of liberty.

In the meantime, a soft-spoken Republican congressman named Ron Paul gets a leg up over the likes of Rudy Giuliani and Mitt Romney.

Sound good to you?

If so, keep reading, as I need you to do me a very big favor.

Today is December 11th. Thirty-six years ago, our Party was founded by a handful of people who wanted to stand up in defense of liberty. Yep--it's our 36th birthday!

The decisions made by the LNC this past weekend were bold, decisive and in my opinion, necessary. We can no longer stand by and do nothing when such an incredible opportunity exists for the Libertarian Party.

If you agree with these decisions, show your support by sending us a strong message in the form of a significant gift as we celebrate our 36th birthday. To donate, click here.

I appreciate your continued support and please know that together, we will always remain the Party of Principle.

For Liberty,

Shane Cory
Executive Director
Libertarian National Committee

P.S. If you are behind these efforts, please forward this message to friends and family and ask them to go to www.BallotBase.org to join the effort!

Paid for by the Libertarian National Committee
2600 Virginia Ave, N.W. Suite 200, Washington D.C. 20037
Content not authorized by any candidate or candidate committee.

READ THE RESOLUTION HERE (http://www.lp.org/media/article_545.shtml)

http://www.primarilypaul.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/join-or-die.jpg

Ron Paul Fan
12-11-2007, 12:29 PM
They should encourage all of their members to support Ron Paul in the Republican primaries. It's the best shot they've got!

slantedview
12-11-2007, 12:30 PM
so what does this mean? it seemed a bit confusing. they're not asking members to support paul but they are allowing paul supporters access to libertarian voter names?

kylejack
12-11-2007, 12:32 PM
36 years of by-laws aren't worth spit if you never get a candidate elected for an office higher than dogcatcher.

PrimarilyPaul
12-11-2007, 12:33 PM
They should encourage all of their members to support Ron Paul in the Republican primaries. It's the best shot they've got!

That's what I'm talking about :).

I'm kind of undecided on if this is a good thing or not. I think the media will further try to pigeonhole Ron Paul as a Libertarian in Republican clothing - saying he's not really a contender for the Republican race but a party outsider.

PrimarilyPaul
12-11-2007, 12:34 PM
so what does this mean? it seemed a bit confusing. they're not asking members to support paul but they are allowing paul supporters access to libertarian voter names?

They're saying if Ron Paul doesn't win the Republican nomination, they want him for the Libertarian nomination.

JenaS62
12-11-2007, 12:35 PM

Yes it is. It appears that the Libertarian party is encouraging registered libertarians to register as republicans so they can vote for Dr. Paul in the primary.

slantedview
12-11-2007, 12:36 PM
They're saying if Ron Paul doesn't win the Republican nomination, they want him for the Libertarian nomination.

right, but beyond that, they're not endorsing him but they are allowing access to the names of the party members so that ron paul supporters can contact them?

t3rmin
12-11-2007, 12:37 PM
I think this is a good thing. Took guts.

Let's get the Constitution Party on-board, too.

Elwar
12-11-2007, 12:39 PM
I'm glad they chose this path. Holding principles above the party is the best choice. It will benefit them in the long run.

robert4rp08
12-11-2007, 12:41 PM
I think Ron Paul has already declined their invitation [looking for source].

EDIT: Here's an article with his response: http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/nation/12/10/1210paul.html

Birdlady
12-11-2007, 12:46 PM
"Do we throw out 36 years of work, violate our own bylaws and principles, and convert to the Republican Party and join Dr. Paul?"

"A few are upset that we've invited Dr. Paul into our presidential race, while others are up-in-arms that we've used LNC resources to benefit a Republican. At first glance, they have an argument, so let me take a minute to FULLY DISCLOSE what this is about, how it works and what we're possibly giving up and gaining."

This is why I am leaving the Libertarian party for this primary and won't be going back. (Don't worry I won't miss the dead line to register Republican).

The Libertarian party has THE best candidate in our lifetime and they are worried about party lines and that Ron Paul decided to run as a Republican? At this point of time, our country is falling apart and the Libertarians only think about how it would be completely "irresponsible" to switch to Republican. Can you say, wtf?

Someone needs to tell the Libertarian party that this nonsense has to stop. Who cares what letter is next to the person's name. If they have good ideas and follow the Constitution I will vote for them. Libertarian party is a joke.

robert4rp08
12-11-2007, 12:47 PM
This is why I am leaving the Libertarian party for this primary and won't be going back. (Don't worry I won't miss the dead line to register Republican).

The Libertarian party has THE best candidate in our lifetime and they are worried about party lines and that Ron Paul decided to run as a Republican? At this point of time, our country is falling apart and the Libertarians only think about how it would be completely "irresponsible" to switch to Republican. Can you say, wtf?

Someone needs to tell the Libertarian party that this nonsense has to stop. Who cares what letter is next to the person's name. If they have good ideas and follow the Constitution I will vote for them. Libertarian party is a joke.

That's the sentiment of the letter. To jump party lines and support RP.

winston_blade
12-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Libertarian party is a joke.

QFT

Thor
12-11-2007, 12:53 PM
36 years of by-laws aren't worth spit if you never get a candidate elected for an office higher than dogcatcher.

Amen!

It is about time they put support up for someone who is 90% "Libertarian" and 100% libertarian, even if he is a true REPUBLICAN. (After all, that is what a libertarian really is. a Republican of yester year)

I just wish they would have waited to throw out the "parachute" until after the Republican's had made up their mind, as Dr. Paul has a good shot at getting the nomination, but this makes it look like he has access to a back up plan (which is all well and good, but does not need to be broadcast)

I mean, I personally feel that even if Dr Paul "turns down" a 3rd party run if the Republican nomination goes to a new-con, then we draft him. Look at what has been done without campaign involvement to date. He has said, he is not leading this revolution, he just happens to be the one put in front of the camera for it. And the LP has ballot access set up in a good many states, so it would be convenient, rather than starting from scratch. But I am still confident he is going to amaze in NH and the Republican nod will be very likely.

Birdlady
12-11-2007, 12:55 PM
That's the sentiment of the letter. To jump party lines and support RP.

That's not what the letter says. I reread it like 10 times trying to see where you are getting this from.

From what I got from the letter it is saying they won't go to the Republican party because it would be a waste of 36 years and go against their bylaws.

Rex
12-11-2007, 12:58 PM
terrible letter.. they need to grab their balls and endorse Paul

Zeeder
12-11-2007, 01:07 PM
I find it very disturbing that the libertarian party doesn't understand math.

Liberty Candidate in Republican primary, can win with 4 million votes.
Liberty Candidate in National Election on libertarian ballot needs? 50 million votes?

Should they throw away 36 years worth of complete failure? errr...........yes. Join the GOP and take it back from the crazy people. Run a candidate in the primaries every 2 years. The math is in our favor.

Wyurm
12-11-2007, 01:09 PM
This is actually a good thing and very encouraging. I know they didn't come out and say: "switch to republican and vote for Ron Paul". Honestly, that would be expecting a bit much from a political party.

However, they did imply the above statement and are giving us access to a very nice tool. As for seeking the Libertarian nomination, I strongly doubt that will happen, after all, Dr. Paul already did that and felt that our current political system is designed to keep third parties out of the actual race. The fact the Libertarian party is offering him the chance to be their nominee is encouraging enough.

robert4rp08
12-11-2007, 01:12 PM
That's not what the letter says. I reread it like 10 times trying to see where you are getting this from.

From what I got from the letter it is saying they won't go to the Republican party because it would be a waste of 36 years and go against their bylaws.

Hmmm... the email is pretty convoluted. I read that as one sect's perspective and that they should embrace the liberty revolution despite it being lead by a Republican (while respecting their Party):

What we can do is show respect for our Party's history, bylaws and members while making an effort to recognize the revolution that's taking place around the country.

Then he says they are utilizing their resources to spread Ron Paul's message:

Additionally, the LNC voted to allow me to pursue an effort that will allow Ron Paul supporters to contact voters in the upcoming New Hampshire Republican primary to tell them about Dr. Paul.

They will be able to do this through our resource, www.BallotBase.org, which is essentially a decentralized call center. From the comfort of your own home, you can use the system to call voters on behalf of a candidate. It's easy to use and can be incredibly effective.

And he spells out the benefits of supporting Ron Paul:

Now, here's what we possibly have to gain:
We make it possible to influence a Republican primary race in the favor of liberty...just as we have done in the past with other primary races.
We gain the ability to build a lasting relationship with a large group of pro-liberty activists.
Most importantly, through the Ballot Base registration process, we are able to reach out to many thousands of people who share many common values with the LP. Hopefully, one day down the road, as we continue to build our relationship, they will take the bold step of joining the Libertarian Party or supporting our efforts.
So, for a few thousand dollars, use of a server and some of our time, we are able to create a network of communication with what I hope will be thousands of hard-working and passionate lovers of liberty.

Or maybe I'm way off. They should write a more clear email. haha

quickmike
12-11-2007, 01:15 PM
I think this is a good thing. Took guts.

Let's get the Constitution Party on-board, too.

The Constitution party seems to me like they are somewhat war-mongerish and a little too much "bible thumpish". I havent read up much on them lately, but thats what I remember about them when Alan Keyes ran under them.

Who knows though, they might support Ron. I have my doubts.

PrimarilyPaul
I find it very disturbing that the libertarian party doesn't understand math.

Liberty Candidate in Republican primary, can win with 4 million votes.
Liberty Candidate in National Election on libertarian ballot needs? 50 million votes?

Should they throw away 36 years worth of complete failure? errr...........yes. Join the GOP and take it back from the crazy people. Run a candidate in the primaries every 2 years. The math is in our favor.

The Libertarian party needs those 4 million people voting in the REPUBLICAN primary.

archemeedees
If we are really about principles over party, we should have no problem (or at least overcome our discomfort) with joining another party to vote for Paul. Party is irrelevant, right? Principles are everything.

PrimarilyPaul
12-11-2007, 01:18 PM
The Constitution party seems to me like they are somewhat war-mongerish and a little too much "bible thumpish". I havent read up much on them lately, but thats what I remember about them when Alan Keyes ran under them.

Who knows though, they might support Ron. I have my doubts.

http://www.constitutionparty.com/news.php?aid=613

The Constitution Party presidential candidate will be selected at its convention in the spring of 2008. We can’t say for sure what will be decided by the convention delegates, but as the party who puts principle above party loyalty, it seems that in the unlikely event that Doctor No is able to capture the Republican nomination, we would stand behind him 100%.

quickmike
12-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Everyone in the country should be independant, that way these two parties couldnt have a lock on our elections the way they do now. Its up to the people to wake up and do this.

After this election, I think this should be TOP priority in this country. Get as many people to drop their affiliation with both parties so we can end the bulls--t rules the two parties have created to have a monopoly.

BlutStein
12-11-2007, 01:24 PM
I'm am completely behind the Libertarian party growing and having more influence on our government, but this is just retarded. So Ron Paul is running as a Republican...he is still the best shot they've ever had at getting a like minded soul into power.

If they could get behind him and help him win, their party would start growing by leaps and bounds in the coming years.

I understand them not wanting to undermine their party but if they truly wanted the changes they've been fighting for, they'd drop everything right now and go full out in support of Ron Paul.

steph3n
12-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Everyone in the country should be independant, that way these two parties couldnt have a lock on our elections the way they do now. Its up to the people to wake up and do this.

After this election, I think this should be TOP priority in this country. Get as many people to drop their affiliation with both parties so we can end the bulls--t rules the two parties have created to have a monopoly.

just FYI much like the libertarian party, the constitution party former candidates have endorse Dr Paul, and Chuck Baldwin is continually writing articles about him.

freedominnumbers
12-11-2007, 01:25 PM
That letter seemed clear to me.

It said that the Libertarian party is it's own party and has rules. As such the select few in the party can't speak for all the libertarians and say RP is their candidate. He'd have to win the nomination at the libertarian convention, which it seems he will.

While some libertarians are against endorsing an R in any way enough are in favor of supporting RP that they were able to get authorization to make their voter lists and related software available to RP supporters so that they may campaign on his behalf.

No reason to be mad at the libertarian party. They are doing what they can and have done more than would be expected. It's up to those registered as libertarians to make RP their candidate at the convention so that the LP can officially endorse him and campaign for him.

quickmike
12-11-2007, 01:26 PM
http://www.constitutionparty.com/news.php?aid=613

Hmmmmm, not bad.

I wonder why I heard all the war mongering crap from them a few years back. Maybe it was just Keyes spouting it off in their name that made me think that.

Pauliana
12-11-2007, 01:26 PM
Dangit. Now I have respect for them again.

FreeMind&Market
12-11-2007, 01:37 PM
Read a bit closer... They are also offering up resources to support Ron Paul. In particular, they have a decentralized call center at BallotBase.org (http://www.BallotBase.org) they are offering and "An independent expenditure of $2,120 to purchase the New Hampshire voter files of registered Republicans." for the use of their call center.

MN Patriot
12-11-2007, 01:44 PM
It takes more than just one person to have a revolution. Now I am beginning to see why there is so much contempt for the entire Ron Paul campaign. Just about ALL his supporters are pinning their fortunes on ONE man. If Ron doesn't get the Republican nomination, I firmly believe he SHOULD run as a Libertarian, provided that there are enough supporters willing to actually RUN FOR OFFICE. I know Ron has repeatedly stated that he has no intention of running as a third party candidate, but maybe he could be pursuaded into being the Libertarian candidate if every Congressional race also had a Libertarian candidate. There will be 435 House campaigns and 35 Senate campaigns in 2008.

Imagine the publicity Ron would get as a Libertarian candidate; the big issue for the media would be how many races would the Republicans lose to the Democrats? This time around he wouldn't be treated as an unknown, running by himself in a quixotic campaign. There would also be at least one other Libertarian running with him in every congressional district. A third of the states would have a statewide Senate candidate on the ballot, too. Plus the states with a gubernatorial race would have a Libertarian on the ballot for that race, too. So the mainstream media might actually give attention to the Libertarians, and more importantly, THE IDEAS OF LIMITED GOVERNMENT AND FREEDOM WOULD ACTUALLY GET ADDRESSED.

Then we would have a situation that would force the Republican Party to decide where they stand, on the side of liberty, or the side of big government. Their talking heads, like Rush, Hannity, Levin would be livid. ( I just heard Rush the other day poo-pooing the idea of getting rid of the IRS, says it will never happen so we might as well accept it.) If the Republican Party permentantly fractures and the Libertarian Party becomes a credible political party, wouldn't that be a good thing?

And if most Republicans lose their races, then what? Oh well, the Democrat socialists will take over, and the Republican corporatists will have to retreat to their boardrooms and plan how to take over Congress again in 2010. But hopefully there will be enough Americans who have woken up and are immune to the mainstream propaganda. Then we would have an organization that can effectively challenge the statists on both the left and the right.

And for the record, I am not a member of the Libertarian Party. I did run about 10 years ago for congress in the LP. I got 4% of the vote, the Democrat got 50% and the Republican got 46%. They were pretty angry at me, but oh well. I was disillusioned at the LP by this time, it is mostly a debate society, most life members just wanted to sit around and prove their ideological purity and not actually DO anything. The platform is a joke for any serious candidate seeking office. So I decided to wait and see if anything comes of the LP. I see there is some efforts to get them back to reality. Maybe a Ron Paul candidacy in 2008 could attract enough real doers into the party to make it a real factor in American politics.

The Government Levethian keeps growing, libertarian/conservatives keep talking about doing something about. This is where to start doing something, the Ron Paul momentum is growing. It would be a shame to let it fizzle out if he doesn't get the Republican nomination.

OferNave
12-11-2007, 01:47 PM
This is actually a good thing and very encouraging. I know they didn't come out and say: "switch to republican and vote for Ron Paul". Honestly, that would be expecting a bit much from a political party.

If they actually care about finally accomplishing what they've been seeking for 36 years, rather than worrying about the letter next to someone's name, then YES, I expect it. This is not a time to play fucking games.

And that email was so convoluted, I couldn't get anything concrete from it. It sounded very positive, so they seem to have the right intentions, they just need to send another email that gets to the point.

quickmike
12-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Dangit. Now I have respect for them again.

LOL

I know, it sucks when you have to back pedal doesnt it?

maeqFREEDOMfree
12-11-2007, 01:48 PM
i hope they don't get stuck up on titles... they should support the messege of freedom... if a libertarian is supporting freedom, we'll support that person... we support Ron Paul because his messege of Freedom, not because he's a republican... i'm suprised they don't see that

Zarxrax
12-11-2007, 01:52 PM

I don't think that would work. What happens when all of the people who disagree with the party leave it? Its left with only the core who wants to keep the same old policies. Apply your logic right now. Ron Paul would get no votes, and the only people left in the republican party would vote for the war mongers and big spenders. Whether Ron Paul wins the presidency or not, thats not going to change when the next election rolls around. The parties can only be changed by taking them from the inside.

torchbearer
12-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Libertarian party is a joke.

You've just insult a good chunk of your fellow supporters. Congrats, You've just been awarded ASSHAT of the week.

OferNave
12-11-2007, 01:57 PM
It takes more than just one person to have a revolution. Now I am beginning to see why there is so much contempt for the entire Ron Paul campaign. Just about ALL his supporters are pinning their fortunes on ONE man.

Speak for yourself. Many of us have already been discussing how we need to allocate resources to putting Ron Paul Republicans into the 435H/35S seats in 08 after the presidential primaries are mostly done. We are well aware that this is a movement, not a cult of personality, as well as what needs to be done to make it effective.

So the mainstream media might actually give attention to the Libertarians, and more importantly, THE IDEAS OF LIMITED GOVERNMENT AND FREEDOM WOULD ACTUALLY GET ADDRESSED.

I think you're missing the big picture. I like the Libertarian party. If Dr. Paul didn't exist, I'd be voting for the Libertarian candidate next year. However, you seem to have failed to notice that the Libertarian party just became obsolete.

Dr. Paul and the grassroots movement have demonstrated that we are strong enough to compete in the big leagues, and win. We are taking over the presidency as Republicans, and we can damn well do the same at the Congressional level. Why try to build up a third party to fight two large enemies when you can simply take over one of them and use it's resources against the other?

You need to break out of old ways of thinking and see the new possibilities in this rapidly changing political and cultural landscape. None of us expected this, but Dr. Paul has dropped a shortcut in our laps like a damn lottery ticket, and we're fools if we don't cash in.

OferNave
12-11-2007, 01:58 PM
MN Patriot - I just realize my post comes off very strong as an attack on you. Sorry about that, I don't mean it that way - I was going for strong language for the purpose of impact, to try to break through and wake up people to the possibilities. You are obviously well intentioned.

torchbearer
12-11-2007, 02:02 PM
FYI for those folks who continue to insult the Libertarian Party out of ignorance... Ron Paul is still a member in good standing in the Libertarian Party.

To say the LP is a joke is to say Ron Paul is a joke... are you one of those people? Have you not been insulted by the media calling you a joke?

quickmike
12-11-2007, 02:05 PM
I don't think that would work. What happens when all of the people who disagree with the party leave it? Its left with only the core who wants to keep the same old policies. Apply your logic right now. Ron Paul would get no votes, and the only people left in the republican party would vote for the war mongers and big spenders. Whether Ron Paul wins the presidency or not, thats not going to change when the next election rolls around. The parties can only be changed by taking them from the inside.

No, what im saying is that if everyone was independant, they wouldnt be locked into voting for someone in the two party system. Im talking about future elections of course. The whole problem with registering to a particular party is the fact that you might not be able to vote for someone from another party even though you agree with them 100 percent. Look at the situation right now. Alot of people who would vote for Ron Paul in NH once they discovered him cannot do it because the deadline is already past. now imagine everyone was just Independant, with no party affiliation. they could vote for whomever they wanted to and not have to worry about switching parties by some arbitrary BS deadline that the two parties put in place. If everyone was an independant, they woudnt have to worry about any deadlines for voting for someone like Ron. Its just common sense.

I really think this is the answer for the future.

Ron Paul Fan
12-11-2007, 02:10 PM
The Republican Party is a JOKE! The Libertarian Party is a JOKE! They're all jokes! All I know is that we've dug a hole for ourselves and we've dug a hole for our parties! We're LOSING elections and we're going DOWN next year if we don't elect RON PAUL, and it has all to do with UNITING both parties behind LIBERTY, and we have to WAKE UP to this fact! A house of LIBERTY DIVIDED against itself, CANNOT STAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Richie
12-11-2007, 02:11 PM
FYI for those folks who continue to insult the Libertarian Party out of ignorance... Ron Paul is still a member in good standing in the Libertarian Party.

To say the LP is a joke is to say Ron Paul is a joke... are you one of those people? Have you not been insulted by the media calling you a joke?

QFT. The LP might have issues, but it is certainly not a joke. I think that we should offer our biggest gift to the LP - and that is unity. There are factions in the LP, and much energy is used within the party that could be used to promote liberty. We are an extremely diverse group of people, and even though there is occasional friction, we work together almost seamlessly when it's crunch time. The LP has it's purpose. We have to incorporate it into our long-term goals. In the short term, we need "Ron Paul Republicans" running for every office possible, but not all of these individuals will win in the primary election. I think the people that don't win in the primary election should run as a Libertarian in the general election. So, use the Republican Party to get our ideas out, and use the Libertarian Party to potentially win.

PrimarilyPaul
12-11-2007, 02:12 PM
No, what im saying is that if everyone was independant, they wouldnt be locked into voting for someone in the two party system. Im talking about future elections of course. The whole problem with registering to a particular party is the fact that you might not be able to vote for someone from another party even though you agree with them 100 percent. Look at the situation right now. Alot of people who would vote for Ron Paul in NH once they discovered him cannot do it because the deadline is already past. now imagine everyone was just Independant, with no party affiliation. they could vote for whomever they wanted to and not have to worry about switching parties by some arbitrary BS deadline that the two parties put in place. If everyone was an independant, they woudnt have to worry about any deadlines for voting for someone like Ron. Its just common sense.

I really think this is the answer for the future.

Just imagine if the state didn't maintain membership rolls for private political organizations. Just imagine if the state didn't pay millions of dollars so a private political organization can elect its leader. Just imagine if the didn't make people's political leanings public information via membership rolls. Just imagine if state didn't publish what private political organizations I gave money to.

quickmike
12-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Just imagine if the state didn't maintain membership rolls for private political organizations. Just imagine if the state didn't pay millions of dollars so a private political organization can elect its leader. Just imagine if the didn't make people's political leanings public information via membership rolls. Just imagine if state didn't publish what private political organizations I gave money to.

Imagine if you could vote for whoever you wanted to vote for in a presidential primary without having to worry about being registered in that party. Imagine a country where all you had to go on is a candiates positions and make an informed decision based on his/her stances on the issues. Imagine how much more people would pay attention to who they voted for because they didnt have a little R or a L next to their name.

MN Patriot
12-11-2007, 03:57 PM
Speak for yourself. Many of us have already been discussing how we need to allocate resources to putting Ron Paul Republicans into the 435H/35S seats in 08 after the presidential primaries are mostly done. We are well aware that this is a movement, not a cult of personality, as well as what needs to be done to make it effective.

I did speak for myself. So where is the discussion on how to keep this movement continuing? Mostly what I see in this forum is a lot of pollyanna expectations that I can pretty much guarantee will be destroyed after the MSM media keeps ignoring/excluding/smearing Ron Paul and his supporters.

I think you're missing the big picture. I like the Libertarian party. If Dr. Paul didn't exist, I'd be voting for the Libertarian candidate next year. However, you seem to have failed to notice that the Libertarian party just became obsolete.

How do you know that? What if Ron doesn't get the nomination? Then what?

Dr. Paul and the grassroots movement have demonstrated that we are strong enough to compete in the big leagues, and win. We are taking over the presidency as Republicans, and we can damn well do the same at the Congressional level. Why try to build up a third party to fight two large enemies when you can simply take over one of them and use it's resources against the other?

I haven't seen a shred of evidence to suggest that Dr. Paul's grassroots movement has taken over anything. Yes, he is collecting a lot of money, and has a big internet base of support. But it is still an uphill battle against an entrenched Establishment that wants nothing to do with our ideas.

You need to break out of old ways of thinking and see the new possibilities in this rapidly changing political and cultural landscape. None of us expected this, but Dr. Paul has dropped a shortcut in our laps like a damn lottery ticket, and we're fools if we don't cash in.

Please explain what you mean by that. Old ways of thinking? A shortcut?

I guess I am just an old fart who still believes nothing comes easy, and you are deluding yourself if you think things will change overnight. That has been the perennial problem with the LP, they always ran as if THIS election people will wake up. No, the LP should acknowledge that 50+ years of a culture spoon fed the liberal pablum won't change, but if they want to change things, it will take a long term strategy of a unified slate of candidates across the country running credible campaigns, continually gaining support.

If we can get 470 Ron Paul Republicans running for Congress(or even half that), along with Ron Paul as the Republican presidential candidate, GREAT!

But if Ron doesn't get the nomination, his supporters should join the LP en masse, and use it to make a third party that can't be ignored. Every congressional LP candidate would be a MAJOR concern for the Republicans. They would have no choice but adopt a more libertarian policy.

JMann
12-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Damn the LP is a mess

torchbearer
12-11-2007, 04:11 PM
Damn the LP is a mess

Ummm. take a look at the GOP. (i.e. st. petersburg straw poll and san fran straw poll)

Eric21ND
12-11-2007, 04:38 PM

Yeah but they also could've waited till at least the Iowa and NH primary is over.

bomybomy
12-11-2007, 06:49 PM
I like it. Serious GOP'ers should be scared to keep discountin Ron Paul....with one flip of a switch, the GOP could go down. Seriously, if they are tempted to put in the establishment choice, they can easily see the danger of RP taking them out of the running in the general.

Proemio
12-11-2007, 08:01 PM

A very important point - party loyalists will love it...

I've argued for slightly less than ever, that parties should be viewed just like any other lobby, which in effect they are.
Let them endorse, promote and yes, lobby candidates, but not "run" candidates, or be in any way in control of election processes.

In other words, membership in a party should make one ineligible to run.

Having everyone run independent will automatically put candidates and their ideas front and center. The individual voters - the sovereign, the top dog, according to the Constitution anyway - will lose absolutely nothing, because they still can use endorsements as a guide.

What we now have is the worst of all possible scenarios; two controlling lobbies colluding to create an appearance of choice, while preventing it - arguably worse than a junta or dictator. That's also why it won't change unless we make it happen...

zahirakids
12-11-2007, 09:35 PM
Sorry guys if I come off as an ass, but I am a little insulted.

First off I have been a Libertarian Party member since I was 16. I have run for office twice and have been the chair of my town party. For people here to call the LP a joke, a debating society, etc. is at best ignorance and at worst blatant lies. If anyone had paid attention to LP internal affairs in the last few years they would have seen that the LP platform is drastically different then it was two years ago, we have new tools such as ballotbase.org, we no longer have a membership fee. I could go on and on.

Just remember that the LP was founded in 1971 by Republicans because they no longer had a home in the GOP. So many Paul supporters were not politically active or had never even voted before. WE (the LP) have been the ones fighting for freedom, WE have faced the terrible odds again and again, WE have stood alone in defending freedom. The Libertarian party will live on past this election year and we will continue to fight for or Ideals.

Live_Free_Or_Die
12-11-2007, 10:25 PM
__