PDA

View Full Version : A very large (and growing) portion of the population is being turned into outlaws

Anti Federalist
09-30-2017, 08:17 AM
Not So Merry Men

https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2017/09/30/not-merry-men/

By eric - September 30, 2017

Robin Hood may have been a fictional character, but the thing that drove him and his “Merry Men” to become outlaws was real enough:

Oppressive laws.

Specifically, oppressive taxes.

At every turn, the Sheriff of Nottingham and his not-so-merry men would demand their pound of flesh. The only way Robin and his men could survive was to forget the law – and live outside the law.

It was an act of desperation and necessity.

This is happening again – to millions of American drivers.

None of them merry.

It starts with a ticket for a traffic offense – a pratfall that is becoming hard to avoid because of the profusion of offenses, most of them purely statutory (i.e., involving no harm to anyone) but subjecting the victim (i.e., the person waylaid by the armed government worker) to an extortionate tax. Calling it a “fine” doesn’t legitimate the taking-by-force of someone’s money who has not damaged anyone, for the benefit of the government – which is precisely what a tax is.

In California, the minimum fine/tax for failing to “buckle-up” (“failure to eat your veggies” is next) is $162 – and the fine for “improperly restraining a child under 16 is $465.

In Virginia, the fine for failing to come to a complete stop at a stop sign – even if there is no reason to come to a complete stop – is $200.

In the District of Columbia, the fine/tax for warming up your car longer than three minutes – yes, really – is $1,000 for a first offense.

And “reckless” driving – defined by statute in Virginia as anything faster than 80 MPH, even on a highway with a speed limit of 70 MPH – can entail $2,500 of literal highway robbery.

These are just a few of the many – and there are usually “processing fees” or “court costs” – secondary taxes laid on in addition to the primary tax.

The problem is that while the resources of the government are infinite, those of its victims are not. Many people simply can’t stand and deliver (this phrase was used by highwaymen in Europe back in the 1600s; it meant hand over your money; maybe it ought to be brought back into currency).

The much-plucked victims haven’t got many feathers left to pluck. They are already broke – or close to the edge of it.

Whatever they manage to earn is eaten up by other taxes -including the new Health Insurance tax – as well as the taxes on their food, gas and pretty much everything else. What remains is ravaged by the ongoing devaluation of currency (by issuing more of it) called “inflation,” which is really just another form of taxation.

Result? Millions of drivers no longer have hundreds or thousands of dollars available to just throw away on yet another tax – which is how they rightly regard this business. They have rent to pay, food to buy. If the choice is between paying the highwayman (plus “costs”) vs. making sure the kids will have a roof over their heads next month and food on their plates . . .well, the choice isn’t exactly easy.

But it is obvious.

They choose not to pay.

And it is millions of them. At least 4.2 million of them, according to a Sept. 27 article in The Washington Post, which quotes a study done by an outfit called the Legal Aid Justice Center.

That’s a bunch of unmerry men (and women, too).

These 4.2 million have become outlaws as a result of not having ponied up. Which triggers escalation by the “sheriff” – who revokes their “privilege” to drive. Very much in the way Robin and his men were forbidden to hunt the King’s deer in Sherwood Forest.

The situation goes from bad to worse. They lose their driving “privileges,” which exposes them to even more highway robbery if they happen to encounter one (or several) of the “sheriff’s” men. Which is not unlikely, given the gantlet of “safety” checkpoints and automated license plate readers (APLRs).

These people face what amounts to Robin Hood’s choice: If they don’t pay, they can’t (legally) drive. But they can’t afford to pay, especially if they don’t drive.

So they do drive – illegally.

Around and around we go.

It is not unlike forcing people to buy health insurance they can’t afford – and then wondering how come people don’t go to the doctor . . . when their co-pay is $500 and they haven’t got it because they had to pay for the “coverage” . . .

The well-paid bureaucrats and even better-paid politicians who impose these laws – and the fines/taxes that accompany – are so financially distant from the concerns of people who have to work for a living that they do not appreciate what it means to an average working person to be faced with the Hobson’s Choice of paying a fine they can’t afford or operating as an outlaw.

That 4.2 million figure is not a nationwide figure, either. The study only looked at five states: Virginia, North Carolina, Texas, Tennessee and Michigan.

Given that every other state in the country uses similar tactics to mulct motorists – in some cases, it’s done assembly-line style, using automated speed cameras, the payin’ paper sent out via the mail without even the formality of pulling the driver over – the figure must be at least three or four times 4.2 million.

Probably a low estimate at that.

To what end?

A very large (and growing) portion of the population is being turned into outlaws. But like the Robin of myth, these people aren’t criminals.

It’s a distinction worth considering.

oyarde
09-30-2017, 08:22 AM
My men are merry and we eat the kings deer .

Working Poor
09-30-2017, 10:52 AM
What really pisses me of is that insurance rates are set according to credit rating before considering driving record. I have had one minor fender bender (I didn't even get a ticket) in my whole life of driving which was more than 20 years ago, never had a speeding ticket or, a DUI, DWI. I received a moving violation ticket 30 years ago that I actually paid 4 different times to be able to renew or change my address on my drivers license for making a so called "illegal left turn". The last time I paid that ticket I laminated the receipt it to a board that I keep on top of my filing cabinet so that if I they try to make me pay it one more time I will have it and won't be able to loose it. The last copy of it was destroyed in a flood.

But because I have a low credit score I have a higher insurance premium making my low on the food chain life style cost more than it should. I have gotten a few no insurance type tickets and expired registration type tickets and have been fined for no insurance by the state and the insurance company although I have not been involved in any accidents I am sure these raise my premiums too. I think insurance is such a scam. I hate it but I have to be able to drive and I hate being hassled by armed state representatives if I don't have it it is not right.

I know I could make a lot more money than I do I could raise my credit score too but, I just hate being so locked in the system. I have so few desires and I guess I am actually lazy because I don't want anything bad enough to have to be apart of this system. I want to do what I want to do not what I would have to do to play the system's game. I like living in the woods, eating weeds. inventing things,playing with my friends and grand children a whole lot more. My husband was a whole lot more accepting of the system than I am. He tried to keep me on the path but I bucked it all the way and still do and will probably keep bucking it. I am the one who is still living. I told him not to buy the evil Nazi medicine or work too hard. He had a lot more desires than I do and a higher credit score. See what it got him.

pcosmar
09-30-2017, 11:23 AM
My men are merry and we eat the kings deer .

I lived in a Maximum Security Prison, and walked the halls and yards as a Free Man.

This is only new to some..

sadly I hoped those days would be past,, but it seems I am still doing time,, on planet Earth.

pcosmar
09-30-2017, 11:29 AM
The article takes it from the point of the automobile,,and an auto Writer.. and He sees it too.

My perspective is different though shared.
My love of Liberty,,,was born in a cage.

I have noted these similarities before. insideout

The world inside the prison is becoming the world outside the prison.

Ender
09-30-2017, 11:39 AM
The article takes it from the point of the automobile,,and an auto Writer.. and He sees it too.

My perspective is different though shared.
My love of Liberty,,,was born in a cage.

I have noted these similarities before. insideout

The world inside the prison is becoming the world outside the prison.

Welcome to The Matrix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8eKxVCFoUk

Ender
09-30-2017, 11:51 AM
Not So Merry Men

https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2017/09/30/not-merry-men/

By eric - September 30, 2017

Robin Hood may have been a fictional character, but the thing that drove him and his “Merry Men” to become outlaws was real enough:

There are some historians who believe that William Wallace was actually Robin Hood.

His wife's name was Marion, she was killed by a sheriff, Wallace had a younger brother named John (hence "Little" John), AND he was supposedly in England for a time in the Sherwood area.

That said- we could use such a freedom fighter now.

A relative of mine was given a ticket because the car he had borrowed from a friend to get to work, wasn't insured. It seemed the insurance, which his friend had just renewed, didn't show up until the next day.

My relativehad to go to court, was ordered to buy insurance (even though he didn't own a car) and was stopped from working because he couldn't afford to buy insurance until he was working awhile, and couldn't work w/o a car.

AZJoe
09-30-2017, 12:14 PM
From short article at Washington's Blog (http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013/10/you-break-the-law-every-day-without-even-knowing-it.html):

"Estimates of the current size of the body of federal criminal law vary. It has been reported that the Congressional Research Service cannot even count the current number of federal crimes. These laws are scattered in over 50 titles of the United States Code, encompassing roughly 27,000 pages. Worse yet, the statutory code sections often incorporate, by reference, the provisions and sanctions of administrative regulations promulgated by various regulatory agencies under congressional authorization. Estimates of how many such regulations exist are even less well settled, but the ABA thinks there are ”nearly 10,000.” - Professor James Duane, Regent Law School

"The complexity of modern federal criminal law, codified in several thousand sections of the United States Code and the virtually infinite variety of factual circumstances that might trigger an investigation into a possible violation of the law, make it difficult for anyone to know, in advance, just when a particular set of statements might later appear (to a prosecutor) to be relevant to some such investigation."- Justice Breyer (https://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/98-93.ZD.html)

"Because even if you’re not doing anything wrong you’re being watched and recorded. And the storage capability of these systems increases every year consistently by orders of magnitude … to where it’s getting to the point where you don’t have to have done anything wrong. You simply have to eventually fall under suspicion from somebody – even by a wrong call. And then they can use this system to go back in time and scrutinize every decision you’ve ever made, every friend you’ve ever discussed something with. And attack you on that basis to sort to derive suspicion from an innocent life and paint anyone in the context of a wrongdoer." - Edward Snowden

Whistleblower William Binner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=216&v=TuET0kpHoyM

DamianTV
09-30-2017, 03:17 PM
When freedom is outlawed, only outlaws will have freedom.