PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever apply for disability benefits?

rodent
12-11-2007, 12:05 PM
Anyone ever apply for this stuff? My former HR person suggested I do it because I have some medical problems that got me fired. Problem is, I can't say I have a disability during employment interviews, and when I get hired, people get upset and make threats within 2-3 weeks when I can't show up. I don't feel right taking these people to court over disabilities and end up disliking myself.

About three years ago, I had a 6-figure income job that I lost because of my problem (narcolepsy + excessive allergies.) I had a sleeping problem, and out of the blue, I had random allergy problems I never had before. So, on top of medication to address narcolepsy, they put me on strong anti-histamines (which make you sleepy), and the combination of the two disorders has made me worthless to employers for two years.

So I got another job, went to explain to a psychiatrist why I have employment difficulties, and he tacked on depression and subscribed even more drugs. So, in total, I'm dependent on 4-5 drugs, have no health insurance, and cannot hold a job for more than 3 months on average. Now, when I interview, people say I'm a job hopper and won't hire me. I'm on drugs so often and gained weight, so even if I get past the technical part of the interview, now the excuse comes back as "he's not a cultural fit."

The situation has gotten so hopeless for me, that I'm down to my last bit of savings and am applying for welfare. Funny that I'm a Ron Paul supporter who's sitting on the edge. The process of having to apply is making me reconsider whether being a Ron Paul supporter is intelligent.

I sincerely doubt there would be anywhere to go for people like me, and the government restrictions are bad enough.

Original_Intent
12-11-2007, 12:14 PM
I was on short term disability while I got some sleep disorders straightened out. I was out for about three months. I can sympathize with your situation people just do not reallize how tough it is to deal with a sleep problem.

Luckily, I had a very understanding employer, and with the help of three doctors was able to get it under control and be functional at work again. If you are permanently disabled to the point that you cannot work, I would think you could apply for SS benefits? Also, if the last place that you worked had long term disability coverage, and they let you go due to disability, then you should be able to get that benefit assuming your doctors will document that you cannot work.

Good luck.

lucius
12-11-2007, 12:22 PM
Start filing now, plan on being rejected 2-3 times and with a little luck; it will be awarded with back benefits to the date you filed. You may need the help of an attorney. I had a good friend who lived in abject poverty for three years, was awarded and died shortly after. Always intelligent to support freedom, start this process now and God Bless...

kylejack
12-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Now, when I interview, people say I'm a job hopper and won't hire me. I'm on drugs so often and gained weight, so even if I get past the technical part of the interview, now the excuse comes back as "he's not a cultural fit."
Frankly this sounds like making excuses to me. I've done plenty of job-hopping and I'm still able to get a job. Do you have technical certifications? Have you contacted staffing agencies?

rodent
12-11-2007, 01:52 PM
Frankly this sounds like making excuses to me. I've done plenty of job-hopping and I'm still able to get a job. Do you have technical certifications? Have you contacted staffing agencies?

I am very qualified. I get past the technical part of the exam, no problems. Even the scored stuff, where I have to sit down and take the exams from the various services online. I always get high scores and don't fumble on the brainteasers.