PDA

View Full Version : Trump Health Secretary May Stay Despite Private Jet Scandal

Zippyjuan
09-27-2017, 07:58 PM
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-27/trump-looking-very-closely-at-firing-health-secretary

President Donald Trump’s private jet-loving health secretary isn’t taking off just yet.

Tom Price, Trump’s head of Health and Human Services, spoke with White House Chief of Staff John Kelly on Wednesday and didn’t offer his resignation over his taxpayer-funded trips on charter jets, said a White House official who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Price is facing investigations by Congress and the HHS Office of Inspector General over what Politico has reported are at least 24 private flights with costs totaling hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Asked earlier Wednesday whether he would fire Price, Trump said he was looking “very closely” at the possibility. “I am not happy with him,” the president said.

If Price stays, the White House may simply let him deal with the scandal himself. The White House won’t defend Price’s use of charter flights for routine travel, another official said, calling it an inappropriate use of federal money.

Trump is also displeased with Price over the failure so far to pass legislation repealing and replacing Obamacare, but has kept him on because of Price’s relationship with House Speaker Paul Ryan, according to a person close to the president.

Plane Problems

Price staying, however, raises the risk of a drumbeat of stories about his use of the jets when at least two other cabinet officials -- Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt -- are also facing questions over similar use of private or government aircraft.

Earlier in the day, the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform released a letter asking Price for details on his use of “government-owned aircraft for personal travel or private non-commercial aircraft for official travel.” The oversight letter is part of a wider probe by the committee into the use of government planes or private aircraft by senior Trump administration officials.

The letter, signed by the committee’s top Republican and Democrat, gives Price two weeks to provide the records. It also drags the former congressman into an inquiry led by fellow Republicans, a relative rarity in Washington politics.

Pallone also said he was shocked by “the outright hypocrisy of these actions from a man who has spent his career railing against government waste.”

In 2009, Price told CNBC that Congress should cut spending on government planes that supporters said were needed to carry military officials leading soldiers into combat. Price criticized an original effort to spend $550 million on eight passenger jets, and also objected to a reduced $220 million request for four jets.

“Now we need to cut it from four jets to zero jets,” he said at the time. “This is just another example of fiscal irresponsibility run amok in congress right now.”

NorthCarolinaLiberty
09-27-2017, 08:07 PM
Looks like Soros Ministry is working overtime today.

euphemia
09-27-2017, 08:14 PM
Hey, Zip, I don't remember anyone having anything to say about Nancy Pelosi having an Air Force jet on standby every week.

Link (https://www.activistpost.com/2017/02/nancy-pelosi-commute-california-air-force-takes-plane.html)

Danke
09-27-2017, 08:33 PM
Hey, Zip, I don't remember anyone having anything to say about Nancy Pelosi having an Air Force jet on standby every week.

Link (https://www.activistpost.com/2017/02/nancy-pelosi-commute-california-air-force-takes-plane.html)

she wanted her own 757 to fly home to California every week. The Air Force provided jet was smaller and had to make a fuel stop on the way.

spudea
09-27-2017, 08:42 PM
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-22/health-secretary-s-private-jet-use-wasn-t-cleared-by-white-house

Trips Defended
The health department defended the trips, saying Price’s schedule was difficult and his workdays long.

“Within an incredibly demanding schedule full of 13+ hour days, every effort is being made to maximize Secretary Price’s ability to travel outside Washington to meet with the American people and carry out HHS’s missions,” said Charmaine Yoest, an HHS spokeswoman. “The travel department continues to check every possible source for travel needs including commercial, but commercial travel is not always feasible.”

oyarde
09-27-2017, 08:46 PM
I cannot hardly think of planes without thinking of Obummer giving Kucinich a hand job on Air Force One to get his health care bill vote .

specsaregood
09-27-2017, 08:48 PM
she wanted her own 757 to fly home to California every week. The Air Force provided jet was smaller and had to make a fuel stop on the way.

and the AF jet probably didn't have a big enough liquor cabinet.
http://static2.businessinsider.com/image/4b63538b000000000007c404-506-253/nancy-pelosis-in-flight-food-and-drink-costs-101000.jpg

They had to stop to refuel the jet and the bar.

Anti Federalist
09-27-2017, 09:00 PM
Within an incredibly demanding schedule full of 13+ hour day

Why can our rulers work hours like this, but many of us in transportation would face loss of license or jail if we did that?

Tired, drunk and stupid is no way to rule, son.

Ender
09-27-2017, 09:05 PM
Why can our rulers work hours like this, but many of us in transportation would face loss of license or jail if we did that?

Tired, drunk and stupid is no way to rule, son.

I work 13+ hours many days a week- especially if I'm on a major project.

phill4paul
09-28-2017, 01:47 PM
I work 13+ hours many days a week- especially if I'm on a major project.

Many do. I think AF was referring more to fatwahs thrust on us that don't apply to theme.

specsaregood
09-28-2017, 02:14 PM
Many do. I think AF was referring more to fatwahs thrust on us that don't apply to theme.

exactly. eg:

Yes. The ‘hours of service' rule under Federal Law does limit the number of hours that any truck, driven by a single truck driver, can continuously be on the road. These rules were established in 1939 in order to reduce truck driver fatigue and to increase the safety of trucks on the roads.

These original rules have since been altered and a new set of regulations put in place as to the ‘hours of service' allowed to any truck driver. According to these new rules, a truck driver can drive for a maximum of 11 continuous hours, in a 14-hour work day, after which they are required to take a mandatory rest period of 10 hours before getting behind the wheel of their truck again. In any seven-day period, the truck can be on the road for 60-77 hours, and in an eight-day period, the truck can be driven between 70-88 hours. If the truck and its driver have been off the road for two and a half days continuously, they then can start their week at zero hours.

phill4paul
09-28-2017, 03:01 PM

There were a coupla threads back in the day.