PDA

View Full Version : Trump administration's anti-leak plan revealed in leaked document

Zippyjuan
09-16-2017, 04:19 PM
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-leaks-plan-leaked-document-revealed-a7947466.html

Irony?

The Trump administration is planning a wide-ranging crack-down on leaks from inside the government, according to a leaked internal memo.

The memo, first obtained by BuzzFeed News, directs more than 50 different federal agencies and departments to hold leak-prevention trainings in the coming weeks. It claims that the unauthorised disclosure of government information “causes harm to our Nation” and “shakes the confidence of the American people”.

In the memo, national security adviser HR McMaster directs the agencies and departments to “dedicate a 1-hour, organisation-wide event to engage their workforce in a discussion on the importance of protecting classified and uncontrolled unclassified information”.

Suggested programming includes a recorded interview with the national counterintelligence director, as well as an "open discussion" to ensure that "safeguarding measures are understood and effective”.

The Trump administration has been plagued by disclosures of unflattering information, from Mr Trump’s calls with world leaders to his comments about former FBI Director James Comey. Leaks have been pinned on everyone from White House insiders to departmental holdovers from the Obama administration.

The administration also been unusually aggressive in pursuing these leaks. Last month, Attorney General Jeff Sessions said leak investigations had tripled under Mr Trump. He added that the Justice Department would not hesitate to arrest those who disclosed government information.

The Trump administration made their first leak-related arrest in June, when they detained a 25-year-old federal contractor for allegedly leaking classified information on Russia’s involvement in the 2016 election.

But the latest crack-down doesn't stop with classified information: The memo tells recipients it is equally important to protect "controlled unclassified" and "personally identifiable" information from unauthorised public disclosure.

More at link.

Swordsmyth
09-16-2017, 04:23 PM
Hopefully it was a canary trap (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canary_trap).

surf
09-16-2017, 05:19 PM
Hopefully it was a canary trap (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canary_trap).i'm hoping it wasn't, unless the leaker turns out to be Sessions. thanks for the link.

while i'm usually disgusted with the details, I still like leaks.

Swordsmyth
09-16-2017, 05:23 PM
i'm hoping it wasn't, unless the leaker turns out to be Sessions. thanks for the link.

while i'm usually disgusted with the details, I still like leaks.

Ordinary leaks maybe, but Demoncrat leaks full of lies intent on thwarting the election and giving us Pence or Ryan instead of Trump are bad.

enhanced_deficit
09-16-2017, 06:05 PM
This is by far the most transparent regime in recent history.. in sharp contrast to last regime that made lofty claims to be transparent.